A few questions to decide if I give TESO another try

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDMember EpicPosts: 21,173
    Jeleena said:
    Jeleena said:
    1) You still need to buy the imperial version, it's in the crownstore for 2100 crowns.
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/crownstore/upgrades
    Tbh the imperial is one of the most uninteresting races, so if I didnt have it (from release) I wouldn't bother.
    Still pretty lame to lock a whole race behind a pay wall... well, considering some games even locked UI elements behind a pay wall, it could be worse, but still, I have a hard time agreeing with that kind of stuff.
    I agree, the warden (a whole class) is locked behind Morrowind too. I think the imperial upgrade is way too expensive anyway, since you don't get anything extra for that race (lorewise or questwise). Only the free horse is nice, but you can get one with the Morrowind collector edition too.
    Morrowind is an expansion, it's quite usual to add new classes in those. I have no problem with that.
    The imperial version was a collector edition at release. It's like if at WoW's release, you could play Tauren only if you bought the Tauren additional pack.
    It's quite different for me.
    Thing is though as an owner of the Imperial addition, there is nothing special about it what so ever, not when there are two other races that look the same more or less aside from bone/nose structure. That's a little different than throwing a truly unique race behind a paywall. 
    IselinJean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibson

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• gervaise1gervaise1 .Member EpicPosts: 4,461
    <snip>

Heavy armor nightblade sounds exotic enough for me to try it, but only if it also can use 2H swords ;)
    My ideal character: 2H sword, bow, and heavy armor. Maybe actually a heavy armor warden, why not, some kind of "Aragorn" character.
    Skill lines are fundamental to ESO characters.

Almost all skill lines are available to all characters. There is a heavy armor skill line, a medium armour skill line, one for bows, one for the mages guild, the fighters guild etc - so if you opt for heavy and then decide to change you can. No need to make a new character.

A small number of skill lines are restricted to classes - it is a small number however and the class skills all have skills that are "sort of" the same in the common skill lines. There are differences but not enough to make a difference for most people.

All skill lines - and skill within them - are unlocked. So it takes time to develop. You won't have access to what you feel will be your iconic build on day 1 - it will be a while. Like vanilla WoW in some respects.

Same deal with racial bonuses. They exist but they are relatively small.

More marked differences come from your choice as to whether to go stamina or magic - recent changes, see above, but prior to that for some things it was stamina, for others magic. (You can respec).

Further differences also start to appear when you - finally - get to level 160 and start to earn Champion Points. There are hundreds! These differences can be significant. again you can respec.

Hence - as you have gathered - classes can be very varied.

Fundamentally you can experiment with a reasonable amount of freedom. Your class will be locked as will your race. Everything else you will be able to change - once you are high enough level for the in-game gold needed to be trivial.

So go for whatever you like.
    Jean-Luc_PicardPhry
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,288
    Distopia said:
    Jeleena said:
    Jeleena said:
    1) You still need to buy the imperial version, it's in the crownstore for 2100 crowns.
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/crownstore/upgrades
    Tbh the imperial is one of the most uninteresting races, so if I didnt have it (from release) I wouldn't bother.
    Still pretty lame to lock a whole race behind a pay wall... well, considering some games even locked UI elements behind a pay wall, it could be worse, but still, I have a hard time agreeing with that kind of stuff.
    I agree, the warden (a whole class) is locked behind Morrowind too. I think the imperial upgrade is way too expensive anyway, since you don't get anything extra for that race (lorewise or questwise). Only the free horse is nice, but you can get one with the Morrowind collector edition too.
    Morrowind is an expansion, it's quite usual to add new classes in those. I have no problem with that.
    The imperial version was a collector edition at release. It's like if at WoW's release, you could play Tauren only if you bought the Tauren additional pack.
    It's quite different for me.
    Thing is though as an owner of the Imperial addition, there is nothing special about it what so ever, not when there are two other races that look the same more or less aside from bone/nose structure. That's a little different than throwing a truly unique race behind a paywall. 
    The Imperial is just one of the choices to consider if you want to build a tank but most people prefer the Orc or Nord instead.

Where they come in handy is if you do not have the "any race any alliance" AND you want to make an Aldmeri Dominion tank since none of their 3 races are really a top choice for tank builds.

There's also RP flavoring of course but a lot of the angst back in 2014 revolved around the Imperials being some kind of elite race... they're nothing of the sort,
    DistopiaTorvalMrMelGibson
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,662
    edited June 18
    For the race, I'll most likely be a Nord. That what I was in beta and I enjoy the most lore wise. I'm a fan of everything Viking, I'm a Norn in GW2 too.
    And I usually play tanks too, so that's not a problem, even if questing will be a bit slower.
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    blueturtle13DistopiaTorvalMrMelGibson
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,301
    Sorry, I forgot you mentioned the DK. That'd be a Heavily Armored Nightblade or Sorceror.

Besides, I'm not even a part of ESO community, I'm just a guy who knows (too) much. Call me Franz Lohner if that isn't true. :D
  • ElidienElidien Atlanta, GAMember UncommonPosts: 1,176
    Personally, I would get Morrowind  and sub. I enjoy subbing a lot - the extra bank space, crafting bags, exp and gold is all nice. But I love the game and I am happy to give them $15 a month to support it.

The ESO Crowns every month is nice too. I have not bought a single DLC except through the use of Crowns. Basically, every 2 months you can get a new DLC. I am now hording crowns for the upcoming DLC releases later this year. There really is not much more I rather spend them on except houses but those are ungodly expensive (well the ones I want anyway!).

On a side-note, I would recommend just finding a build you like and stick to it until max level. I personally am using the guides at Deltia's and AlCast HQ as guides but tweaking them for now to suit my style. There is SO much theory-crafting that goes into the game, it can be overwhelming to try and focus on it while leveling. Most of it mainly matters at end game anyway.
    For the race, I'll most likely be a Nord. That what I was in beta and I enjoy the most lore wise. I'm a fan of everything Viking, I'm a Norn in GW2 too.
    And I usually play tanks too, so that's not a problem, even if questing will be a bit slower.
    Sure if you want to be drunk all the time be a mead-swilling Nord :)
    DistopiaSovrathJean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibson
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,301
    Elidien said:
    Personally, I would get Morrowind  and sub. I enjoy subbing a lot - the extra bank space, crafting bags, exp and gold is all nice. But I love the game and I am happy to give them $15 a month to support it.

The ESO Crowns every month is nice too. I have not bought a single DLC except through the use of Crowns. Basically, every 2 months you can get a new DLC. I am now hording crowns for the upcoming DLC releases later this year. There really is not much more I rather spend them on except houses but those are ungodly expensive (well the ones I want anyway!).

On a side-note, I would recommend just finding a build you like and stick to it until max level. I personally am using the guides at Deltia's and AlCast HQ as guides but tweaking them for now to suit my style. There is SO much theory-crafting that goes into the game, it can be overwhelming to try and focus on it while leveling. Most of it mainly matters at end game anyway.

He should just develop a concept and build around it. ESO allows for it and, besides, min max matters only in the endgame anyhow. It's nice to create your character in the fullest.
    TorvalArglebargle
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,252
    Things I like about the game.  Being able to wear any type of armor.  Being able to use any type of weapon.  Races give bonuses but you can make up for those with gear sets.  It's not mandatory to mini-max in order to enjoy PvE.  Since the world is open, you can go basically to any faction and do any questlines.  There are some good add-ons available.  I enjoy the graphics and  combat is decent.  
    TorvalYashaXMrMelGibson

"Change is the only constant."

• YashaXYashaX Baldurs GateMember RarePosts: 2,013
    Hey, at least no one can say the ESO community here isn't friendly, thanks guys :)

I'm still hesitating between directly buying the Morrowind pack or getting the Gold one. I wasn't able to find out how much those DLCs cost individually.

If I finally decide to play with a sub, which is likely, I'll get Morrowind so I have the whole game accessible. I have a whole week to think about it.

Heavy armor nightblade sounds exotic enough for me to try it, but only if it also can use 2H swords ;)
    My ideal character: 2H sword, bow, and heavy armor. Maybe actually a heavy armor warden, why not, some kind of "Aragorn" character.

Imo a Dragon Knight is much more like a Death Knight or warrior than a NB.

Perhaps thematically a NB is similar because it can use shadow magic ( mainly stealth, and siphoning skills), but Dragon Knight has a lot more parallels from a practical / playstyle perspective.

A DragonKnight has chains (like DKs death grip), great aoe snares to keep players/mobs in melee range, magic shields, a good class heal, wings that reflect projectiles, and other great tools that make it awesome as a brawler/melee type class. 

TorvalJean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibson
    edited July 22
    Well, I gave in and just bought the Morrowind Collector along with a recurring subscription.
    I'm going for Dragon Knight first, sounds like the closest to what I enjoy playing. Never said I wanted a "clone" of a death knight.
    If it gives me 6+ months of fun, it'll be a win.

What really pushed me past the threshold is that VorpX supports ESO on VR headsets with full headtracking. That's a nice bonus to me, can't wait to try that out.
    TorvalIselinYashaX
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,054
    I can't wait to hear how that experience is. I don't know anything about VorpX but I'm curious what ESO on VR is like.
    YashaXMrMelGibson
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
    edited July 23
    I have a possibly stupid question... I find myself starting in Morrowind, but is there a way to start in the old zones too ?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it: the "hooded" figure. Not exactly user friendly, but I actually enjoy having to look for things a bit instead of them being fed to me without effort.

EDIT2: Haven't tried VR yet, first getting used to the game again (I didn't play since end of beta). Enjoying it so far. I'll keep you posted when I try VR.
    I have a possibly stupid question... I find myself starting in Morrowind, but is there a way to start in the old zones too ?

Our feedback during the ESO Morrowind beta was almost universal that you should be able to select which tutorial to start from the character creation screen but they kept it so that if you own Morrowind you always start there and you have to wayshrine your way over to your alliance original zones to get the Soul Shriven quest and tutorial started.
    YashaX
    Iselin said:

Our feedback during the ESO Morrowind beta was almost universal that you should be able to select which tutorial to start from the character creation screen but they kept it so that if you own Morrowind you always start there and you have to wayshrine your way over to your alliance original zones to get the Soul Shriven quest and tutorial started.
    Well, it reminded me the old pre-cataclysm newbie run from Darnassus to Ironforge through the crocodile infested swamps as a Night Elf noob if you wanted to join your dwarf or human friends, it wasn't that bad. I kinda like those things personally.
    MrMelGibson
    Iselin said:

Well, it reminded me the old pre-cataclysm newbie run from Darnassus to Ironforge through the crocodile infested swamps as a Night Elf noob if you wanted to join your dwarf or human friends, it wasn't that bad. I kinda like those things personally.
    Yeah it's not a big deal.

Vvanderfell itself has a self contained story and it's a great zone. It just isn't an ideal starter zone though since it's missing some essentials. It has no Mundus stones for those nice permanent buffs and, although you can join the Mage's and Fighter's guilds there, it doesn't get you started on the quest chains for those. There are also many places where a brand new player can get overwhelmed easily.

For new players, the area you get plopped down on after the other Coldharbour tutorial are still very much the best place to start: you never run into linked groups of mobs bigger than 2 or 3 and the zone-specific armor sets that drop there, Armor of the Trainee, gives you basic boosts that are ideal for early leveling, as well as providing a good intro to armor set bonuses which are a huge part of intelligent ESO gearing-up these days.
    MrMelGibson
    Iselin said:
    There are also many places where a brand new player can get overwhelmed easily.
    Not really worried about that, I'm not exactly a "new" player... ;)
    I just want to do things "in natural order", so to speak.
    edited August 1
    A little report.

So far I'm really liking the game. I'm glad I forgave them for the cheap move of making us pay for a race.

The cons:
    - The game is still quite heavily zoned. I really prefer open world without loading screens. That was one of my biggest annoyance during beta. But I dealt with it in GW2 which is one of my favorite games, so I'll deal with it here too.
    - Feels a bit too much "on rails", but that's sadly the common denominator of all theme park MMOs.

The pros:
    - Graphics are great, and the game runs smooth as a baby's ass with absolutely everything maxed out on my PC.
    - Sound is good too. Good use of my 5.1 speaker system.
    - I like the combat, it's a lot like Skyrim, and the class system is quite good too. I'm going to play a greatsword+bow Nord Dragonknight.
    - The quests lines are well written and make you feel part of the world.
    - Crafting seems great, I've just started though. Blacksmith.
    - The cash shop doesn't seem very annoying, but keep in mind that I'm paying a subscription.

The game feels a bit like GW2 with mounts but without dynamic events. I like the fact that this game has a collection panel with stuff like pets and mounts. I always missed mounts a lot in GW2.

A good purchase so far, I'll judge the whole game once I hit max level with a char but it's definitely in my list of "worth playing" of the last 10 years... and there aren't many games in that list.
    gervaise1YashaX
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member UncommonPosts: 269
    edited July 25
    gervaise1 said:

Sub also adds a crafting bag - but its a red herring. Crafting is not "needed" except for final gear upgrades and the One Tamriel patch introduced sets of gear in every region. So you can gain craft skill slowly over time or blitz it near max level.

Errrr... I would not call the crafting bag a "red herring". The ability to keep all crafting materials separate from your character's inventory is a huge help, esp with how much the crafting bag can hold. And further, even if you're not into crafting itself, you can still gather materials when you're out and about and then sell them on the market, which is a nice way to make some income. Some of the stuff you find out in the wilderness is pretty valuable.

It might not be useful to some people, but it is not a red herring, by any stretch. 

To answer the OP, I think it's well worth coming back to. I don't agree with everything they do - not entirely a fan of how they handled housing, for example (though it's light-years beyond the trainwreck found in certain other MMOs -cough XIV-), but I would argue ESO is one of the best MMORPGs out there right now and, in fact, one of a small handful that truly deserve to be called MMORPG

It's not immediately apparent when you start out, but unless you're one who believes "end game is all that matters" and race past everything else to get there, you'll find a title with a lot of variety of content, with an impressive amount of thought and detail throughout.

If you'd already bought it, then there's nothing stopping you from popping in and checking it out again to see what you think about what there is there for you now. From there, you can decide if it's worth investing further money in. Nothing to lose but some time.
    Post edited by QuarterStack on
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • gervaise1gervaise1 .Member EpicPosts: 4,461
    gervaise1 said:

Sub also adds a crafting bag - but its a red herring. Crafting is not "needed" except for final gear upgrades and the One Tamriel patch introduced sets of gear in every region. So you can gain craft skill slowly over time or blitz it near max level.

Errrr... I would not call the crafting bag a "red herring". The ability to keep all crafting materials separate from your character's inventory is a huge help, esp with how much the crafting bag can hold. And further, even if you're not into crafting itself, you can still gather materials when you're out and about and then sell them on the market, which is a nice way to make some income. Some of the stuff you find out in the wilderness is pretty valuable.

It might not be useful to some people, but it is not a red herring, by any stretch.

Crafting itself is the red herring - since the update last November.

Other than learning to cook - and to a lesser extent make potions - I would suggest people play the game and not focus on crafting. It takes a long time to research everything; been there, got the t-shirt. 

Nor is there a craft economy - at least on my megaserver. You won't "get rich" selling mats - if you want gold you would be much better off farming gear drops. Which people buy - reinforcing the point about the status of crafting.

Nor did the game have a crafting bag when it first launched. When crafting had much more of a place. I - and others - used alts to store mats and gear to deconstruct. Annoying as hell basically. Every skill for every profession maxed with no bag - because there was no bag.

Now when the optional sub launched the crafting bag was a "useful" bonus for crafters anyway. Now the question is: how pertinent is crafting. It has a place but if you are starting out in the game you don't need to worry about it.
    gervaise1 said:

Now when the optional sub launched the crafting bag was a "useful" bonus for crafters anyway. Now the question is: how pertinent is crafting. It has a place but if you are starting out in the game you don't need to worry about it.
    Yup. Crafting for end game gear is in a sad state. Other than a few 9-trait sets like TBS for some odd builds the only real purpose of crafting anything other than food, potions and poisons, is improving the quality of the drops we all use instead of crafted gear.

It doesn't help at all that dropped sets have jewelry and we can't craft jewelry, severely limiting the usefulness of crafted sets.

Still, if someone plans to stick around, and you think that crafted sets will eventually get a buff, it's best to start researching traits early since it takes literally months of real time to research the traits that allow you to craft the 9-trait sets.

edited July 25
    Or god forbid you do something in a mmoRPg for the sake of it being there and it giving you fun to do so, and not just for major profit.
    Or god forbid you do something in a mmoRPg for the sake of it being there and it giving you fun to do so, and not just for major profit.
    It's not about profit it's about a severe disparity between dropped and crafted that's relatively new to the game since they added hundreds of new dropped sets.

It's about what you will choose to use. Once upon a time we all wore crafted sets but not since the 1T update. The dropped sets are just better in all respects including just plain looks more often than not.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,421
    edited July 25
    Well the cash shop is mostly just cosmetic items.

I would just buy the subscription, and the expansion pack it gives all DLC in game I believe.

The only other thing is housing which is purely optional and can't do much with it right now which you could spend a lot of money on.

Over-All I think ESO is a good game for those who enjoy it way better than what it was in the past, and sure better than some games I have played recently lol.
    Post edited by Renoaku on
    YashaX
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,054
    I do crafting super casually now and mostly just for the RP of it. My warden is a cook and possibly might end up an alchemist as well. I put a little effort into woodworking, and occasionally other crafts just so I can craft housing stuff. And that's how I do it now.

I still harvest anything in clicking distance. I'm oldschool when it comes to hoovering resources and cash in an mmo.

Before the update though I used to organize my crafting amongst characters. The changes in game are worse for min/maxing but probably better for building an interesting character.

Interestingly enough the most useful crafting professions are also the most storage intensive. You don't want to try and do alchemy, culinary arts,  or runecrafting unless you sub. The others can be more reasonably managed.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air