Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take-Two shuts down popular GTA mod toolkit Open IV

13»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I get why people are upset.  I understand why they would make their opinion known about the situation.  But for the whiny man-children who are changing their steam reviews to slam the game over this decision.  Feeling the need to slander GTA5 and the developer because they didn't get their way. You need to grow up.  You make all gamers look like pretentious, pathetic temper tantrum children.  
    I felt the same way about No Mans Sky even though I felt like they did not deserve nearly as much hype as they did and it frustrated me that people where ignoring other games that could fit that slot better.

I think game reviews should be game reviews...peroid.

people should just not buy games from these folks.
    MrMelGibson

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

btdt said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    btdt said:
    No different than Blizzard shutting down Nostalrius... all about redirecting the player base to their newer titles and away from the older ones.  

Money money money, must be funny, in the rich man's world.
    I am still a little unclear.

Your saying that Take Two is wanting to shut down the service because the do not want people playing GTA 5 as much anymore and instead divert those players to switch other titles?

it seems like a very non-direct and somewhat risky path. Maybe the players instead of leaving GTA 5 for another Take Two Title they instead go play a different game from a different developer. If I was sitting on the meeting of evil ways to make money I would tell them to come up with a better more sollid reliable idea would you?
    I will make it more clear.

You have a mod, it makes playing a version of a game that is already out more attractive to play.  Players continue to play said version instead of perhaps buying the latest version of said game.

There, I removed all mention of pirate anything.  The gist is STILL THE SAME, but now you can't jump to the same conclusion as before... well you can, but I don't give a damn. 

*Note directed at the pirate argument which literally had nothing to do with anything I said.  That was an assumption based on some prior prejudice not my words.
    nope.

this move was amazingly idiotic.
    Mods has a lot to do with why the game made as much money as it did for two reasons 1. more people bought the game because of that 2. endless hours of free advertising on youtbe of people showing off...you guessed it...mods of the game.

Regardless of if people protest this game or not, this will effect the bottom dollar because the number of people who will be thinking about GTA5 because of a video or two of the cool mod they saw on youtube will likely drop dramatically because those videos will not exist.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Torval said:
    kitarad said:
    Distopia said:
    kitarad said:
    I can understand them doing this for the multiplayer version but their motives become suspect when they target the single player version too.

My understanding is this is a modding tool, which if it's able to access the game's files, there's probably no SP or MP version to it, it's both. If that's the case shutting down the entire thing makes sense. This is why I'd never bother spending the time modding games with unofficial modding tools, they often will shut that down, especially when competitive MP is involved in the equation. 

Sucks, but it is what it is, a business decision, people can't take that shit personally. 

Okay that makes sense actually. Is there no way to divorce the two?
    I don't know the specifics of the mod but maybe they could remove features that break things. Maybe there is more to it and impossible to separate.

Consider that if they wanted to clamp down on mods for monetary reasons they would do a global clampdown or change to their scripting engine (mod tools), not a cherry picker for one mod.

I like how Bethesda is developing their own mod site and library. I have Curse installed and tried to use it for some ESO mods but they're all out of date. I would have to go install another modding platform or micro-manage mods from *that other site* and to get reasonable mod support I have to pay them. Why should I have to pay a third party site for reasonable support for mods but not the publisher. The entire modding scene is an illustration in cognitive dissonance.
    Why don't you just use Minion? Most of the mods are up-to-date and they're ranked by installs and popularity so you can see which ones are getting some love.

laserit

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    SEANMCAD said:

So you will be passing on Kerbal Space Program from now on, yes?

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    SEANMCAD said:
    I get why people are upset.  I understand why they would make their opinion known about the situation.  But for the whiny man-children who are changing their steam reviews to slam the game over this decision.  Feeling the need to slander GTA5 and the developer because they didn't get their way. You need to grow up.  You make all gamers look like pretentious, pathetic temper tantrum children.  
    I felt the same way about No Mans Sky even though I felt like they did not deserve nearly as much hype as they did and it frustrated me that people where ignoring other games that could fit that slot better.

I think game reviews should be game reviews...peroid.

Voting with your wallet is not only the best way to protest a developer/publisher.  But it's also the mature way of doing things.  I totally agree with you about game reviews.  This is why I rarely take any steam or metacritic reviews seriously.  When someone has an axe to grind, they are no longer objective.
    Sovrathlaserit
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Torval said:
    lol No it wasn't gamer outrage by some mod fan tools that changed this course. It was the modders committing to removing the cheat and hacks part of their mod. If they didn't do that then it would have stayed in place.

Pro tip here: There are way more GTA fans that are pissed about hacks than the modboy fan club would think. The people that spend money on the game are the people they listen to not a bunch of whiney boys stamping their feet thinking they matter.
    The online community in GTA is pretty disastrous. Full of either hackers or toxic kids trolling everyone. If they manage to remove the hackers, it will do wonders.
    [Deleted User]
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    btdt said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    btdt said:
    No different than Blizzard shutting down Nostalrius... all about redirecting the player base to their newer titles and away from the older ones.  

Money money money, must be funny, in the rich man's world.
    I am still a little unclear.

Your saying that Take Two is wanting to shut down the service because the do not want people playing GTA 5 as much anymore and instead divert those players to switch other titles?

it seems like a very non-direct and somewhat risky path. Maybe the players instead of leaving GTA 5 for another Take Two Title they instead go play a different game from a different developer. If I was sitting on the meeting of evil ways to make money I would tell them to come up with a better more sollid reliable idea would you?

You have a mod, it makes playing a version of a game that is already out more attractive to play.  Players continue to play said version instead of perhaps buying the latest version of said game.

Rockstar has already sold the latest version of their game 3x now how many more do they need.
    ps3/xbox then ps4/xbox1, then pc version all spaced out far enough to make sure alot of people bought all 3 or at least 2 \. Because you know someone who really wants to play it but on the pc will still buy it on the console if they cant on the pc and then buy it again when it finally released on pc.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    What's the difference between a paid mod and a DLC other then one is officially supported and the other one isn't. It sounds more like their hiring third party devs outside the company adding content and calling it a mod and expecting us to pay for it. Which is fair enough if that's what their doing.

Why not include Rockstar in the discussion too and not just Take Two? They want all their games to be online and not single player with their sales of shark cards. They probably want the mods disabled as it will compete with itself. Why play GTA V Online when you can play a better version of GTA V Offline.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/after-angering-gta-5-fans-rockstar-releases-new-st/1100-6451151/

Won't affect single player mode so happy they made this decision. In no small part due to the outrage probably.
    guizica

kitarad said:
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/after-angering-gta-5-fans-rockstar-releases-new-st/1100-6451151/

Won't affect single player mode so happy they made this decision. In no small part due to the outrage probably.
    restricting modding single player is just so amazingly illogical on their part. well at least that is now a non-issue