Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take-Two shuts down popular GTA mod toolkit Open IV

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852
    Nyctelios said:
    I invite everyone to look its steam page.

What a disaster. This will leave a mark.
    LOL

Leave a mark? This won't affect them at all.

People said it was a "disaster" when they were shutting down GTA5 mods 2 years ago.

And since GTA5 has continued to sell tons and tons of copies.
    DistopiaMrMelGibson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    "Paid Mods" is the most toxic payment model I've ever seen. If it manages to get widespread adoption, it will make Pre-Order Season Pass DLC seem like a pinnacle of morality.

It's the only model where the developer is directly financially incentivised to release an unfinished game. Why work on polishing bugs, when a modder can do it for you AND you will get paid for it. It's a ridiculous notion, where instead of developers paying for the actual developing, the end user pays for both the work and the product.

What's making me furious even more, is that anyone disagreeing with paid mods is automatically labelled as being "against paying for talent". I have nothing against that - if you are a talented 3D artist, a story writer or a music composer, your work should be appreciated and rewarded appropriately. But letting the developer take a huge cut from mods is an incredibly twisted model.
    jimmywolf
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    "Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players."

http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-rockstars-statement-about-take-two-shutting-down-gtas-openiv-modding-tool/

This is exactly what I thought the reason was.  Anyone who plays online in GTAV knows what a cancer modders and hackers are there. Hopefully they can find a solution that works for everyone.

vveaver_online[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Good, no more cheaters to mess with the online mode and hack the game. I tried playing GTA V online and some dude put over 20 million credits onto my character and there was no way to stop it. I quit after that and never played since. 

Now might actually play again since there'll be no more cheaters
    RexKushman[Deleted User]MaxBaconcheyanevveaver_online

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    So what happens to the mods will we not be able to get them any more or will we have to skulk about and visit nefarious sites  (not that I don't do that now) to get them. What about Nexus mod base. Getting so fed up with this unrestrained greed and now they are encroaching on areas where people are doing things out of passion.
    Chamber of Chains
    Bloody hell! We should really protest this shit and make them stop this. We should not just lie down and take it .
    Chamber of Chains
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Good, no more cheaters to mess with the online mode and hack the game. I tried playing GTA V online and some dude put over 20 million credits onto my character and there was no way to stop it. I quit after that and never played since. 

LOL, you think make modding illegal stops cheaters?
    The bad multiplayer design of GTA V that makes cheaters possible, not modding! You can bet cheating and hacking WILL continue, apples and oranges my friend! 

Rockstar doesn't want to get their act together, look at the other multiplayer games with modding, games like Ark Survival Evolved under protection systems like BattleEye to prevent cheating... and a proper modding approach!

Even Indies are able to protect their games against multiplayer cheating, in highly moddable games... meanwhile, in a massive AAA title and game studio, you're going around spawning money in the online mode... excusing Rockstar from the responsibility is utterly ridiculous.

--'
    [Deleted User]cheyanelaxievveaver_online
    edited June 2017
    Okay I will check it out. Why would you think I'm being sarcastic. I use modders a lot. I love playing games with mods up the wazoo! I want to stop this because this will spread to the games I play. I don't play GTA so my protest is not about that game it's about the games I do play and if this nets them money then other companies will follow.

Gamers who love to play games and have them modded must never ever take this lying down because you will lose all that creativity and be stuck with the shit they shovel out at exorbitant prices.
    Chamber of Chains
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    MaxBacon said:
    The bad multiplayer design of GTA V that makes cheaters possible, not modding! You can bet cheating and hacking WILL continue, apples and oranges my friend! 

Rockstar doesn't want to get their act together, look at the other multiplayer games with modding, games like Ark Survival Evolved under protection systems like BattleEye to prevent cheating... and a proper modding approach!

Even Indies are able to protect their games against multiplayer cheating, in highly moddable games... meanwhile, in a massive AAA title and game studio, you're going around spawning money in the online mode... excusing Rockstar from the responsibility is utterly ridiculous.

--'
    That's a good point. Years after release, it is still possible to spawn in endless amounts of money, teleport around the map, insta-kill missions or be invincible. I don't see how closing a modding platform would prevent all of this - unless it's the modding API exclusively that enables all of these hacks.

The fact that cheating is rampant after all this time leads me to believe that nurturing a healthy community is not something of interest to the devs. Perhaps by closing down mods, they are trying to shift players from single player to multi player, where they can sell Shark cards.
    Octagon7711
    edited June 2017
    MaxBacon said:

--'
    The only thing mods do is cheats. Look at Skyrim, its a bunch of overpowered items, various cheats and you can get any item in the game by using the cheat console (~) because of mods. Or look at No Man's Sky, there are mods to add tons of money, free items or unlock EVERYTHING in the game.

The other problem with mods is they change how the game was meant to be played by the developers. Why should GTA 5 become a Saints Row 4 clone because of mods? Again overpowered superpower mods and all kinds of cheat mods. That is NOT how the devs intended their game to play. If it was, they'd have just made a Saints Row 4 clone...instead they designed the game in a realistic manner.

Mods ruin games, they change how the game was meant to be played and allow for hacks and cheats as seen from the online mode that was being ruined because of cheaters, hackers and mods were the reason.

This is a great day for GTA 5, because now, all the cheaters will be banned or unable to cheat, and the game will be played how it was meant to be by the developers who created it.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

"Mods ruin games...."

and underneath that:  "My adult gaming and mods website...."

I smell cognitive dissonance. 

laxieMrMelGibsonOctagon7711

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited June 2017
    laxie said:
    That's a good point. Years after release, it is still possible to spawn in endless amounts of money, teleport around the map, insta-kill missions or be invincible. I don't see how closing a modding platform would prevent all of this - unless it's the modding API exclusively that enables all of these hacks.

The fact that cheating is rampant after all this time leads me to believe that nurturing a healthy community is not something of interest to the devs. Perhaps by closing down mods, they are trying to shift players from single player to multi player, where they can sell Shark cards.
    When you look at it, you know it's reality.

You go check online games with modding and you will not find the depth of cheating and hacking that GTA Online is hit with, after years they still haven't fixed it. 

It's clear that they don't care, the issue can be dealt with if they wanted, instead, they take blind decisions that will not stop people who want to exploit the game, from doing so.

The issue will continue being the same issue as before with the addition of the destruction of the modding scene, R* is at fault and once those defending this decision see modding unallowed and the cheating and hacking continuing they will realize the problem lies within the developer's unwillingness to fix it.
    laxie
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    MaxBacon said:

--'
    The only thing mods do is cheats. Look at Skyrim, its a bunch of overpowered items, various cheats and you can get any item in the game by using the cheat console (~) because of mods. Or look at No Man's Sky, there are mods to add tons of money, free items or unlock EVERYTHING in the game.

The other problem with mods is they change how the game was meant to be played by the developers. Why should GTA 5 become a Saints Row 4 clone because of mods? Again overpowered superpower mods and all kinds of cheat mods. That is NOT how the devs intended their game to play. If it was, they'd have just made a Saints Row 4 clone...instead they designed the game in a realistic manner.

Mods ruin games, they change how the game was meant to be played and allow for hacks and cheats as seen from the online mode that was being ruined because of cheaters, hackers and mods were the reason.

This is a great day for GTA 5, because now, all the cheaters will be banned or unable to cheat, and the game will be played how it was meant to be by the developers who created it.
    I'm going to have to disagreee with you there. First off there are a LOT of mods that don't include "cheats".

Secondly, "so what" in the case of a game like skyrim? It's a single person game, if a player wants to tailor their game in a way that is more fun for them who cares?

I recall in Oblivion, at the battle of Bruma, I would always do it when my character was very high level. That would cause the game to spawn the hardest Daedra there were and everyone would get decimated. AFter a while I wanted more characters to live so I moded an ability so I, as the protector of the land, could invoke a blessing on everyone within a large radius. This way, if someone died I knew they were probably besieged. Was more enjoyable for me.

Mods are supposed to change the game from the developer's vision. That's why the developers allow mods.

Heck, some of the developers in skyrim have said that they didn't have time for certain things and hoped that various players might mod a certain feature or a bit of housing.

Now, in a multi-player game, mods could very well be an issue if one mod can affect other players without their consent. But for single player games? That's the whole point, tailor the game the way the players would like, include new adventures, add new gear, etc.
    ConstantineMerusOctagon7711Asheram
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    SEANMCAD said:
    btdt said:
    No different than Blizzard shutting down Nostalrius... all about redirecting the player base to their newer titles and away from the older ones.  

Money money money, must be funny, in the rich man's world.
    I am still a little unclear.

Your saying that Take Two is wanting to shut down the service because the do not want people playing GTA 5 as much anymore and instead divert those players to switch other titles?

it seems like a very non-direct and somewhat risky path. Maybe the players instead of leaving GTA 5 for another Take Two Title they instead go play a different game from a different developer. If I was sitting on the meeting of evil ways to make money I would tell them to come up with a better more sollid reliable idea would you?
    I will make it more clear.

You have a mod, it makes playing a version of a game that is already out more attractive to play.  Players continue to play said version instead of perhaps buying the latest version of said game.

There, I removed all mention of pirate anything.  The gist is STILL THE SAME, but now you can't jump to the same conclusion as before... well you can, but I don't give a damn. 

*Note directed at the pirate argument which literally had nothing to do with anything I said.  That was an assumption based on some prior prejudice not my words.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Renoaku said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/300088/TakeTwo_shuts_down_popular_GTA_mod_toolkit_Open_IV.php

'Open IV, a hugely popular set of modding tools for Grand Theft Auto V, will no longer be distributed after the creator received a cease and desist notice from publisher Take-Two. '

My guess is that this is a long precursor to a 'paid mods' model. its very much the wrong approach but I think its what they are doing. They will just let it fester for a year or so. 

I wouldn't let stupid court orders which are in my book unconstitutional, tell me what I can and can't do regardless of courts decisions that is just me, and there are very few Legal principals I really agree with or live by but that is just the way I feel about situations like this.

Now it all makes sense.
    I get why people are upset.  I understand why they would make their opinion known about the situation.  But for the whiny man-children who are changing their steam reviews to slam the game over this decision.  Feeling the need to slander GTA5 and the developer because they didn't get their way. You need to grow up.  You make all gamers look like pretentious, pathetic temper tantrum children.  
    TheScavengerRexKushman
    Nyctelios said:

More like how embarrassing.  Gamers will never earn any respect from actions like this.  Quite frankly, they don't deserve it.
    TheScavenger[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusRexKushmanSovrath
    I get why people are upset.  I understand why they would make their opinion known about the situation.  But for the whiny man-children who are changing their steam reviews to slam the game over this decision.  Feeling the need to slander GTA5 and the developer because they didn't get their way. You need to grow up.  You make all gamers look like pretentious, pathetic temper tantrum children.  
    I agree. People say the costumer (or consumer) is always right. But this is actually wrong and often times its the customers fault. Take Two is a big company and didn't just do this to troll everyone, they obviously had a good reason. Maybe they want to sell mods like Bethesda. Maybe (more likely) they wanted to stop cheating online. Maybe they got a cease and desist from the makers of Saints Row 4 due to how similar the mods are to how Saints Row 4 is. It be like making a star wars mod, obviously that is a big no no.

No matter the reason, the vast majority of the time the costumer/consumer is a pretentious child (or child adult) throwing a tantrum, and is actually wrong despite what some people say that the customer is always right (which is actually wrong to begin with). Take Two almost certainly did research into why to ban mods, and are on the right side of things.

MrMelGibson

Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:

More like how embarrassing.  Gamers will never earn any respect from actions like this.  Quite frankly, they don't deserve it.
    Ok. I don't get you guys.

You can cleary look on internet for thousands of info about the occurred and still defending the publisher?

And when people act the way they can you  mock them?

How is that embarrassing? They are consumer using the tool they have to address the issue they found. That's like saying someone is embarrassing by going on costumer protection organizations and filling a complain about certain shop/service.

You guys are claiming they are wrong because the tool opens for cheating and TT is being honest about it. So, besides TT word (and Rockstar) on it, do you have any proof of it?

What's next. You'll defend G2A too?
    Obviously you misunderstood what I meant.  What I meant is that people are in their right to be upset and make forum posts and shit talk in comment sections of articles etc.  But the steam slamming is just childish bullshit and you know it.  This is no better than the childish way some gamers acted for the Mass Effect 3 ending.  All temper tantrums from pathetic people.

Your analogy doesn't work either. Because you go to BBB (Better Business Bureau) because you were not provided the service you paid for or were cheated somehow.  If you bought GTA5 for PS4 and you got home, opened the game and found no game disk in the box.  Then you went to return it for a replacement and they wouldn't replace it.  You would have a case for the BBB.  Not having mods available for the game doesn't qualify.  You are not entitled to mods.
    [Deleted User]Sovrath
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I can understand them doing this for the multiplayer version but their motives become suspect when they target the single player version too.

Lazy bastards cannot take the time to place the controls to control the cheating and hacking and what they're doing kills something. You need freedom to create and what they are killing is exactly this creativity. We could pay but why should these developers take a cut on that which others create for the single player versions. If they do no work for the single player versions why should we pay the developers. I have no problem paying the creator for the mod and the developer we already paid them when we bought the game. If they are actually going to provide any support and really do provide tools may be it would be considered but that should not be done at the expense of creation.

This problem has nothing to do with the cheating and hacking. That is an excuse by these weasels.
    DistopiaMrMelGibsonRexKushman

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:
    My guess is somehow money is driving this action.
    Of course, and this wouldn't be the first time a publisher shutdown a third party modding tool. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

kitarad said:
    I can understand them doing this for the multiplayer version but their motives become suspect when they target the single player version too.

My understanding is this is a modding tool, which if it's able to access the game's files, there's probably no SP or MP version to it, it's both. If that's the case shutting down the entire thing makes sense. This is why I'd never bother spending the time modding games with unofficial modding tools, they often will shut that down, especially when competitive MP is involved in the equation. 

Sucks, but it is what it is, a business decision, people can't take that shit personally. 

[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Distopia said:
    kitarad said:

My understanding is this is a modding tool, which if it's able to access the game's files, there's probably no SP or MP version to it, it's both. If that's the case shutting down the entire thing makes sense. This is why I'd never bother spending the time modding games with unofficial modding tools, they often will shut that down, especially when competitive MP is involved in the equation. 

Sucks, but it is what it is, a business decision, people can't take that shit personally. 

Okay that makes sense actually. Is there no way to divorce the two?

kitarad said:
    Distopia said:
    kitarad said:

Okay that makes sense actually. Is there no way to divorce the two?
    Everything I said is speculative I've never used the tool personally. Yet if it's like most it just presents a UI to manipulate the game's files. Which most likely allows editing client side MP files. IN that sense, not really. As whatever is stored on the user's PC would be editable. 

They could do what others have done and prohibit that usage, and police it on the live service, but that's a monetary as well as 24/7 resource sink for the company. At this point in the game's life they may not view that as a worthy investment, it's easier to just shut it down. I expect their company focus is probably shifting gears to Red Dead at this point as it's release is only a year or so away. 

That's my idea of why this is coming up now. 

MrMelGibson