Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall - Race & Culture Bring Change - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Nyctelios said:
    tinnis said:

laxie said:

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to balance veteran player progression?

Since skills level up with time (like in EVE), I'd imagine someone playing for 2 years will have a lot more levelled up than someone just picking up the game. The newer player will never be able to catch up, by definition.

Is this an issue in EVE? Do veteran EVE players have a substantial advantage over someone playing for 6 months?

the developers have mentioned 'catch up' mechanics, but not in detail yet. also they are generally aiming for a shallow power curve (in both training and gear) - so you can't just mow down a horde of newbies like most MMOs. they generally say if a veteran gets jumped by 2 or so newbies who vaguely know what they are doing the veteran will be in trouble!
    That's not good. So what's the point of anything? That statement makes the learning curve rather short and the stat/skill/gear/whatever the fuck completely irrelevant. Even MOBAS aren't like that, no veteran is ever in trouble against 2 newbies whom vaguely know what they are doing. 
    Yeah, but he is talking about ingame numbers - not knowledge.

So with catch up mechanics the noobs can reach aprox the "numbers" of someone but they'll still lack "know what they are doing", as you said.
    Yeah, still don't like it though. :| 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I find it odd that people are way more into superficial differences than mechanical differences. If my class is mechanically the same as every other person who has that class what does it matter if I look different? Nothing to me, but this seems to be all people care about.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    That's not good. So what's the point of anything? That statement makes the learning curve rather short and the stat/skill/gear/whatever the fuck completely irrelevant. Even MOBAS aren't like that, no veteran is ever in trouble against 2 newbies whom vaguely know what they are doing. 
    Not really comparing apples to apples, though.  And MOBAs use matchmakers for a reason.

I'm all for anything that discourages the mindless ganking of essentially defenseless players.  If you're that bored of PvE or legitimately challenging PvP, maybe take a break and play something else?

edited June 2017
    Not really comparing apples to apples, though.  And MOBAs use matchmakers for a reason.

I'm all for anything that discourages the mindless ganking of essentially defenseless players.  If you're that bored of PvE or legitimately challenging PvP, maybe take a break and play something else?
    First of all, what?

I'm stating even in a complete skill-based game, like MOBAs, system shouldn't be designed so zerg-friendly that result in a situation where 2 newbies who vaguely know what they are doing put a veteran player in trouble. Let alone in an mmorpg where levels and stats and gears are invovled. 

This is my humble opinion. Where did you get I'm bored with PvE or legitimately challenging PvP? Also take a break from what? The game isn't even released.

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited June 2017

First of all, what?

I'm stating even in a complete skill-based game, like MOBAs, system shouldn't be designed so zerg-friendly that result in a situation where 2 newbies who vaguely know what they are doing put a veteran player in trouble. Let alone in an mmorpg where levels and stats and gears are invovled. 

This is my humble opinion. Where did you get I'm bored with PvE or legitimately challenging PvP? Also take a break from what? The game isn't even released.
    Because the system is designed to avoid mindless ganking of essentially defenseless players.  I made that the first sentence of that paragraph to provide context for the following sentence, explaining why I feel any system that discourages mindless ganking of those powerless to defend themselves is a good idea.  The implementation, however, has yet to be seen.  I never mentioned that it was specific to this game, as I was speaking to the goal of such systems and games in general.

Any time you don't have small, hard-capped numbers, PvP is inherently zerg-friendly.  Using MOBAs as a side example of why 2 less experienced players should stand no chance against a vet is a bad example, because MOBAs literally build their entire matchmaking system around ensuring the vet doesn't get to run rampant among the noobs.  In all but strictly instanced, match-made PvP arenas, the devs don't have the same level of control regarding who is matched against who.
    [Deleted User]

First of all, what?

Because the system is designed to avoid mindless ganking of essentially defenseless players.  I made that the first sentence of that paragraph to provide context for the following sentence, explaining why I feel any system that discourages mindless ganking of those powerless to defend themselves is a good idea.  The implementation, however, has yet to be seen.  I never mentioned that it was specific to this game, as I was speaking to the goal of such systems and games in general.

Any time you don't have small, hard-capped numbers, PvP is inherently zerg-friendly.  Using MOBAs as a side example of why 2 less experienced players should stand no chance against a vet is a bad example, because MOBAs literally build their entire matchmaking system around ensuring the vet doesn't get to run rampant among the noobs.  In all but strictly instanced, match-made PvP arenas, the devs don't have the same level of control regarding who is matched against who.
    Why would you think the mindless ganking is only a job by veterans? Right now I'm worried every newbie account plus a friend can start mindless ganking, they won't even need the skill or gear for it. Wouldn't that increase the number of potential mindless gankers? And no matter how much you have bettered your character, it can happen anytime by anyone.

Mindless ganking is an attitude, irrelevant to being a veteran or not. This system has just made it easier for everyone to do it.
    [Deleted User]Ozmodan

Nyctelios said:

First of all, what?

Why would you think the mindless ganking is only a job by veterans? Right now I'm worried every newbie account plus a friend can start mindless ganking, they won't even need the skill or gear for it. Wouldn't that increase the number of potential mindless gankers? And no matter how much you have bettered your character, it can happen anytime by anyone.

Mindless ganking is an attitude, irrelevant to being a veteran or not. This system has just made it easier for everyone to do it.
    I agree in part with you, but mindless ganking is way dire when people doing so know they will easy in numbers and/or gear (stats).

Ganking noob areas is an old problem for a reason - it is a behavior pattern.
    Yep, I understand that part. But that's just one scenario of mindless ganking. In all others, this system makes a lot easier for a whole lot of players to start their mischief sooner. They are basically reducing the requirements of become a mindless ganker to 0 when you have 1 friend onboard. Now when you're solo farming, you are fair prey too all other characters on the live server in pairs. How does that reduce mindless ganking, I can't understand.  :|

First of all, what?

Because, traditonally, the veteran will be vastly ahead of where the noobs will be..  That's the price of MMORPG progression.

Again, we can debate the implementation all day, but since neither of us (AFAIK) have had any significant hands-on time with the system planned for Crowfall, I think it's a bit premature to say they're attempt to curb it will only end in more ganking.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The problem with too many options is that those games are filled with false options. The reason you end up taking false options is because game developers tends to be utter shit at explaining what their options do. To make matters worse you are often forced to take an option before you have any rough idea what consequences those options have for your character.

The absolute worst in that regard were crpg based on D&D because you have to be familiar with the build system to avoid messing up your character that was fully created before you first stepped inside the world.

Often the only way to avoid making a bad character is checking out builds which means building an efficient character is done outside the game instead of actually playing the game. Those games have a tendency to get fotm builds which force players to reroll to stand a chance.

There are people that like the meta-game and are willing to put down the time to have a good build, you also have the people that expect they will play a good build and like crushing noobs that play poor builds. Those crying like little bitches are usually the people that expected they would have a good build just to find out they are now crushed like noobs.

I generally prefer games that allow you to adjust your build while inside the game so that you don't have to reroll into a new character after playing the game for 25-50 hours. This is preferably done in a way so that you can adjust your character gradually while playing the game instead of the somewhat absurd "I went to a trainer as a strong bulky warrior and now I'm a skinny pyromancer".
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    As to the responses, it's great that you do get to keep something, but I'd imagine the skills and items part are minor and probably easily obtained. Otherwise it wouldn't be a wipe. The eternal kingdoms also don't seem to hold much weight in the actual world in conflict.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Classes are nice and do need to be done very well or an entire game is meaningless.However i have still yet to this day figured out any reason this game will offer a GAME,you know the reason we play games.

I still feel it will be nothing more than a pvp game,so maybe popular to some,not to me if that is all it offers.I like a complete well knit coherent world,every part of the design has to mesh.That is why i never like pvp,it will never mesh with any other game design except itself "pvp".

Even if there is a game to be found,i still have a very big problem with any type of cash shop related to the most important part of game content that i expect to be EARNED and that is the castles/plots.There is ZERO satisfaction to myself or looking at other building structures if i know all people did was buy it from a cash shop.

Plots should simply be first come first serve but then i would not be happy with any kind of early access,again just because they paid money early on.So you can see just how much any type of cash shop is bothersome.

To give this game any kind of passing grade i would need to see a well thought out GAME and a sub fee or buy once sort of deal but definitely NO cash shop.For those that "don't get it"i saw what this guy did to Wiz 101 and cash shop and i could not stand that kind of result ever again.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

First of all, what?

Because, traditonally, the veteran will be vastly ahead of where the noobs will be..  That's the price of MMORPG progression.

Again, we can debate the implementation all day, but since neither of us (AFAIK) have had any significant hands-on time with the system planned for Crowfall, I think it's a bit premature to say they're attempt to curb it will only end in more ganking.
    What exactly does ganking even mean in a game that is PvP focused? There are no dungeons, no quests. Everything you do within a campaign will be a part of trying to win the campaign. If you are running around harvesting solo and get killed by 2 other players, regardless of their experience, did you get ganked, or were you just foolish to be running around solo in a game that isn't being build based on 1 vs 1?
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    I think I remain confused about how character identity even works in Crowfall. I thought that players were immortal crow-spirits possessing the bodies of dead heroes, which would seem to make race lore entirely irrelevant, and is one of the main reasons I've not been paying much attention to the game.

What do I have wrong here? Is the player character meant to be unaware of their nature?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
    Orthelian said:
    I think I remain confused about how character identity even works in Crowfall. I thought that players were immortal crow-spirits possessing the bodies of dead heroes, which would seem to make race lore entirely irrelevant, and is one of the main reasons I've not been paying much attention to the game.

What do I have wrong here? Is the player character meant to be unaware of their nature?
    Bodies, or Vessels, are just like ships in EvE. You can take one off and put a different one on. They can be crafted, but you can also get white quality vessels at the temple for free. In other games, you can role alts and play a bunch of different races and classes. In CF, the only difference is that your alts are now Vessels and you have one set of skills for all of them. If you want to play as a Human Knight all the time and nothing else, that is your prerogative. If you want to have an alt that isn't just a different vessel, you can use a 2nd account and train each one completely separately.

Your identity is what you make of it. If you care about roleplaying, you can roleplay it however you want. From a gameplay perspective, the choice of race won't just be cosmetic. For example, the Guinecean will have the burrow ability. Races will also have varying stats. This means that a Guinecean Knight will be very different from a Centaur or High-Elf Knight.
    edited June 2017
    Arkade99 said:
    What exactly does ganking even mean in a game that is PvP focused? There are no dungeons, no quests. Everything you do within a campaign will be a part of trying to win the campaign. If you are running around harvesting solo and get killed by 2 other players, regardless of their experience, did you get ganked, or were you just foolish to be running around solo in a game that isn't being build based on 1 vs 1?
    The point of my argument had little to do with zerg ganking, which can only be solved by heavily instanced and hard-capped arena PvP.  It has to do with higher-level players ganking lower level players that stand no chance.

PvP in which one side stands no chance isn't healthy for the game.  If you're featuring any kind of open PvP within the gemeral game world, it's a problem worth solving.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on

Arkade99 said:
    The point of my argument had little to do with zerg ganking, which can only be solved by heavily instanced and hard-capped arena PvP.  It has to do with higher-level players ganking lower level players that stand no chance.

PvP in which one side stands no chance isn't healthy for the game.  If you're featuring any kind of open PvP within the gemeral game world, it's a problem worth solving.
    I understand your point mate, and I know it sucks. But making gear and player skills both kinda irrelevant isn't really the solution. Because we all be out of those noob zones after a short while, but the design choices stay with us through out the whole game. That's what that statement sounds like, although I think that's just a statement and won't be much of an actual system. 
    MadFrenchie

Arkade99 said:

I understand your point mate, and I know it sucks. But making gear and player skills both kinda irrelevant isn't really the solution. Because we all be out of those noob zones after a short while, but the design choices stay with us through out the whole game. That's what that statement sounds like, although I think that's just a statement and won't be much of an actual system. 
    Yea I think so, too.  Once we get more details on the system and maybe some more extensive gameplay videos, it'll give us a better idea of what the dev meant by that and we can have a better debate on the pros and cons.

I'm with you in that I don't think it should enable newly created characters to be spammed and overwhelm much older, more experienced player characters.  On the other side, it's also worth deterring the ganking of players characters that pose no challenge.

I'd prefer a punishment system for those seeking out PvP encounters in which your opponent has no real chance, as opposed to attempting to balance the power curve around a certain number of "lowbies" taking down a maxed player character.  I'm anxious to see how this game's attempt to tackle the issue pans out.
    ConstantineMerus

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Arkade99 said:
    Orthelian said:

Bodies, or Vessels, are just like ships in EvE. You can take one off and put a different one on. They can be crafted, but you can also get white quality vessels at the temple for free. In other games, you can role alts and play a bunch of different races and classes. In CF, the only difference is that your alts are now Vessels and you have one set of skills for all of them. If you want to play as a Human Knight all the time and nothing else, that is your prerogative. If you want to have an alt that isn't just a different vessel, you can use a 2nd account and train each one completely separately.

Your identity is what you make of it. If you care about roleplaying, you can roleplay it however you want. From a gameplay perspective, the choice of race won't just be cosmetic. For example, the Guinecean will have the burrow ability. Races will also have varying stats. This means that a Guinecean Knight will be very different from a Centaur or High-Elf Knight.
    Right, that matches my understanding, but since this article was largely about racial cultural identites and effect on the class, y'know...

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon

Arkade99 said:

There are no levels in CF. It's not like in Shadowbane where a level 50 player could kill any number of level 20 players without breaking a sweat. Skill training will increase a character's power, but it's nothing like in other games with levels. The power curve is much more shallow.

Gear, build choices, player skill and tactics will be much more of a factor than combat skill training. And as Tinnis said, there will be some sort of catch up mechanics for newer players.
    MadFrenchie