Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If someone could direct me to the specs needed to play this game, I'd be most appreciative.

GenLockGenLock Member UncommonPosts: 14
edited June 2017 in Star Citizen
I keep on looking, but finding nothing. I tried running like a demo thing of this game on my Win 10 i7-4500U with 16g ram, 2g NVidia GeForce GT 750M and with the LOWEST SETTINGS POSSIBLE and it was a vidlagfest of immense proportions. Couldn't do ANYTHING at all, I was getting like 3 frames a second. Do you need like a BEAST of a comp to play this thing, or have they perhaps optimized it since that demo (was like a year ago, I think)

GenLock

Answers

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    The game is still badly optimized, there is no 'safe' configuration, it's all about luck.
    You just need a good rig and pray that the game likes your setup, that's all.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    ste2000 said:
    The game is still badly optimized, there is no 'safe' configuration, it's all about luck.
    You just need a good rig and pray that the game likes your setup, that's all.

Like Ark, but with even worse optimization.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited June 2017
    Star Citizen performs overall decently when it comes to the weight it has on hardware, much of the bad performance you see at this moment (say PU) relates to network, on that area you don't need to worry because it's not you needing better hardware it's their netcode that is still a WIP.

Minimum System Requirements for Star Citizen are:
    • OS (Operating System): Windows 7 service pack 1 (64 bit), or Windows 8 (64 bit)
    • Processor: Quad core CPU more that Intel i5 1700
    • RAM: 8GB Memory
    • GPU (Graphics Card): DirectX 11 graphics card with at least 2GB Video RAM

Recommended System Requirements are (for alpha 2.6):

• OS (Operating System) - Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 8 or 8.1 (64-bit) or Windows 10 (64-bit)
    • Processor - Quad Core CPU (Intel Core i7-4770K or comparable)
    • RAM - 16 GB RAM
    • GPU (Graphics Card): DirectX - Version 11- AMD A10-7700K, AMD Radeon HD 7990, GeForce GTX 780 or similar with at least 4GB Video RAM
    edited June 2017
    I highly recommend if you play through the current alpha to manually setup the files for the best optimization for your hardware, either you want the best looks or best performance:

https://www.redacted.tv/how-to-set-up-star-citizen-performance-guide/

The performance .cfgs could be found here: https://www.redacted.tv/custom-user-cfg-guide-star-citizen-alpha-2-x/ it's something much use at this moment as the in-game setting have little impact in FPS gain.

Kyleran
  • GenLockGenLock Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Well, I see one glaring problem off the bat. The MINIMAL video RAM is 4 GB? Damn... lol. I only have half that. Was thinking of building a new desktop rig soon, just seeing what this game needed if I decide to play. Thanks people :)

GenLock

GenLock said:
    Well, I see one glaring problem off the bat. The MINIMAL video RAM is 4 GB? Damn... lol. I only have half that. Was thinking of building a new desktop rig soon, just seeing what this game needed if I decide to play. Thanks people :)
    That's my bad, talking about the minimum we are looking at 2GB not 4GB.  Say medium-end cards like the GTX 960.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Ack, when I first tried the alpha. . early stage or walking around it ran great but there wasn't much to do.  Not it runs like a pig. . no offense @MaxBacon

The funny thing is . . the last time I upgraded a PC just for a single game was Wingcommander IV I think :)  Lets pray we don't get into an eternal "It's alpha" EA thing like ARK. . which I run fine on medium.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Aethaeryn said:
    The funny thing is . . the last time I upgraded a PC just for a single game was Wingcommander IV I think :)  Lets pray we don't get into an eternal "It's alpha" EA thing like ARK. . which I run fine on medium.
    When ARK came out, nobody could max it, I remember getting in and being happy with 10-15FPS.
    Imagine all the peeps and their Titans at the time, haha

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    GenLock said:
    I keep on looking, but finding nothing. I tried running like a demo thing of this game on my Win 10 i7-4500U with 16g ram, 2g NVidia GeForce GT 750M and with the LOWEST SETTINGS POSSIBLE and it was a vidlagfest of immense proportions. Couldn't do ANYTHING at all, I was getting like 3 frames a second. Do you need like a BEAST of a comp to play this thing, or have they perhaps optimized it since that demo (was like a year ago, I think)
    I'm afraid that this game would never run well on your current notebook. The i7-4500U is a dual core CPU and the GT 750M is far from its desktop counterpart as well. Even after some heavy optimization expected in a couple of years you'd need at least a quad core desktop CPU with a decent GPU to play this title. Note that the game is still in very early development and you'd probably change your PC specs a couple of times by the time Star Citizen gets launched.
  • DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119
    edited July 2017
    The intention was to be able to play with a GTX 660 after optimization but specs wise a quad core over 2.5 Ghz and GPU with 4GB of GDDR5 and 8GB of RAM should be enough even at this stage.

so 480 and 960 GPU should do fine and above i5.

Btw 750, 650, 950 all nvidia cards with 50 on the name suck they are pretty much carbage and a bad value.
    If you have only 2GB of Video Memory you will see too much texture popping.

For comparison on my old rig with my 8GB and i7 3770k and 660 GTX I was getting between 25-35 FPS.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp