Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs with Animal Taming?

2»

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Mortal Online has a very complex taming, dominating, and breeding system. It's probably the best aspect of that game.
    Manasu
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited June 2017
    Tsiya said:
    WoW does have a ridiculous number of beasts for the hunter to tame, and collecting them is fun.  The pet system is all pretty simple, though.  Tame a pet that has a special attack based on family, choose a DPS or Tank role, feed it once in a while to boost stats.  There are some incredible skins.  http://wow-petopia.com/

As a Petopian of long standing, I have to admit WoW has the most variety of any game petwise.
    I think whenever most of the peopel on this site see a question asking which MMORPG has a feature, they assume "besides Wow" 

It's like someone asking where they make a good burger and someone suggests McDonalds XD
    I think whenever most of the peopel on this site see a question asking which MMORPG has a feature, they assume "besides Wow" 

It's like someone asking where they make a good burger and someone suggests McDonalds XD
    I'd say McDonalds makes a good burger in very much the same way that WoW makes a good MMO. There are probably five places in every town that make a better burger than McDonalds but McDonalds is the one everyone knows. Just like there is a plentiful amount of MMOs that are better than WoW, but WoW is the one everyone knows.
    Hatefull
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Oh Christ, not the McDonald's analogy again...NOOOOOOO!
    mcrippins
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Tsiya said:
    WoW does have a ridiculous number of beasts for the hunter to tame, and collecting them is fun.  The pet system is all pretty simple, though.  Tame a pet that has a special attack based on family, choose a DPS or Tank role, feed it once in a while to boost stats.  There are some incredible skins.  http://wow-petopia.com/

As a Petopian of long standing, I have to admit WoW has the most variety of any game petwise.

Did you even read my first post in the thread? And with 152 pet skins in the game, for taming they're up there. I haven't played in awhile but the pet selection is unmatched.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited June 2017
    Current vanilla Wow emulators are nearly all post special beast abilities patch but before pet attack speed normalization. Pet differences are percentage bonus/penalty to damage/armor/health, attack speed, pet category abilities and of course skins. Lupus starts out shadow on some servers but is patched to normal damage later on progression (or at least mitigated by armor). I played a Hunter an "ass ton".

I had fun in SWG with the pet skills as I was a Teräs Käsi/Creature Handler.

Mark Jacobs has mentioned a few times that he would like to make a pet taming/training mmo (assuming) in the future. It's the only different game I've heard him mention outside of Camelot Unchained they are currently working on so perhaps it may be their very next game.

Sadly CU won't have such a complex pet system due to efforts to maximize RvR performance (there are pet classes but they use the special affects system thus looking like ethereal spirits instead of rendered objects like characters).

You stay sassy!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Tamanous said:
    Current vanilla Wow emulators are nearly all post special beast abilities patch but before pet attack speed normalization. Pet differences are percentage bonus/penalty to damage/armor/health, attack speed, pet category abilities and of course skins. Lupus starts out shadow on some servers but is patched to normal damage later on progression (or at least mitigated by armor). I played a Hunter an "ass ton".

I had fun in SWG with the pet skills as I was a Teräs Käsi/Creature Handler.

Mark Jacobs has mentioned a few times that he would like to make a pet taming/training mmo (assuming) in the future. It's the only different game I've heard him mention outside of Camelot Unchained they are currently working on so perhaps it may be their very next game.

Sadly CU won't have such a complex pet system due to efforts to maximize RvR performance (there are pet classes but they use the special affects system thus looking like ethereal spirits instead of rendered objects like characters).
    Yes, creature handler in SWG was awesome. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Rappelz you can tame animals with any class. and have them fight along side of you.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Tsiya said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Didn't WOW Hunters used to tame animals in the wild?

Yes.  And special mobs were different than the base mob in some cases.  Ex:  Tiger with faster attack.
    Once, but no longer. Pets have been "normalized" so a huge tiger from Stranglethorn has the same stats as a cub from Draenor. The family determines the skills the pet has, and all pets in that family will perform the same in combat.

We know that.  DIdn't think I needed to cover every little stupid detail.......
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    OP - There is a game called "RPG MO" that is very similar to UO that has an in depth breeding system. The game is very much old school in appearance and game play. It's a fun go if you're sick of all the terrible questhub MMO's released in the past 10 years.

Link is here http://rpg.mo.ee/
    mcrippins
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Tsiya said:
    Tsiya said:

Did you even read my first post in the thread? And with 152 pet skins in the game, for taming they're up there. I haven't played in awhile but the pet selection is unmatched.
    Yeah,  I did, I'm just saying that I think most people already know about WoW, which is why it's like saying "You know this place McDonalds makes burgers" I wasn't trying to start a debate or anything XD
    edited June 2017
    I'm going to go a bit more into depth on the Mortal Online system because my earlier post didn't do it's depth justice and like I said, it's the best aspect of the game. It stands hand and shoulders above all competition in that regard even if the rest of the game is wracked with horrible shortcomings.

In MO you can go up to most natural creatures (things that resemble real life animals) and use a taming action on them. Doing so will put them under your control if you have enough animal control points (I think that's what they were called. It's been awhile.) The more powerful the creature the more points it takes to control. Also there are penalties to point cost if you control more than one animal at once but it is possible.

A good tamer/beastmaster will put points into things that allows them to control more and more powerful creatures. There are various taming related skills with affects such as increased control points, lower penalties for controlling more than one animal etc.

You can also learn zoology skills related specifically to the type of animals you want to breed and control. For instance there is a school for mammals and for reptiles and within those there are various subschools and subschools of subschools so that if you are good at training horses it's easier to train canines as well but if you want to use canines at maximum efficiency as a beastmaster it will require you training some skills you wouldn't have as a horse trainer.

Now once you actually have animals you can put them in the stables at any major town. But stables provide more usage than just storage. You can also breed compatible animals at stables. When you breed animals there is a 50% chance for each individual stat that they'll get the value of one parent, and a 50% chance they'll get the value of the other parent.

This comes in real handy with animals like mounts where there are multiple subtypes that can interbreed. For instance the desert horse is an exceptionally fast horse with low health while the bull horse is a high health mount with low speed. Breeding them together you can create a high health and high speed mount better than anything found in the wild.

Molva beasts are another type of mount that on the whole are slower hardier mounts than horses, but like horses have their own subtypes. A lot of people favored molvas as battle pets when I last played because you could breed them to be very powerful and equip them with armor.

Finally as a sidenote. Taming isn't the only way to get pets. There is also a skill called domination in which you magically force a creature to follow your will. Domination allows you to control some creatures that can't be tamed such as spiders. Domination only pets tend to be very powerful in combat. In fact the most powerful pet in the game is a Minotaur, which can only be controlled using a rare item by someone powerful in domination magic. 
    KyleranxyzercrimeManasu[Deleted User]mcrippins
  • ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Eldurian said:
    I'm going to go a bit more into depth on the Mortal Online system because my earlier post didn't do it's depth justice and like I said, it's the best aspect of the game. It stands hand and shoulders above all competition in that regard even if the rest of the game is wracked with horrible shortcomings.

In MO you can go up to most natural creatures (things that resemble real life animals) and use a taming action on them. Doing so will put them under your control if you have enough animal control points (I think that's what they were called. It's been awhile.) The more powerful the creature the more points it takes to control. Also there are penalties to point cost if you control more than one animal at once but it is possible.

A good tamer/beastmaster will put points into things that allows them to control more and more powerful creatures. There are various taming related skills with affects such as increased control points, lower penalties for controlling more than one animal etc.

You can also learn zoology skills related specifically to the type of animals you want to breed and control. For instance there is a school for mammals and for reptiles and within those there are various subschools and subschools of subschools so that if you are good at training horses it's easier to train canines as well but if you want to use canines at maximum efficiency as a beastmaster it will require you training some skills you wouldn't have as a horse trainer.

Now once you actually have animals you can put them in the stables at any major town. But stables provide more usage than just storage. You can also breed compatible animals at stables. When you breed animals there is a 50% chance for each individual stat that they'll get the value of one parent, and a 50% chance they'll get the value of the other parent.

This comes in real handy with animals like mounts where there are multiple subtypes that can interbreed. For instance the desert horse is an exceptionally fast horse with low health while the bull horse is a high health mount with low speed. Breeding them together you can create a high health and high speed mount better than anything found in the wild.

Molva beasts are another type of mount that on the whole are slower hardier mounts than horses, but like horses have their own subtypes. A lot of people favored molvas as battle pets when I last played because you could breed them to be very powerful and equip them with armor.

Finally as a sidenote. Taming isn't the only way to get pets. There is also a skill called domination in which you magically force a creature to follow your will. Domination allows you to control some creatures that can't be tamed such as spiders. Domination only pets tend to be very powerful in combat. In fact the most powerful pet in the game is a Minotaur, which can only be controlled using a rare item by someone powerful in domination magic. 
    Yeah I can second that, MO has one of the most in-depth animal taming and breeding mechanisms.

Most likely you'll have to create a character that is altogether focused on those skills (making him useless in other aspects), for some this is good for others is bad.

You can also make a lot of money with those skills and literally be a full time tamer/breeder. Also many guilds have/recruit people for especially this role.

Regarding another game, RPG MO. Does any have some more info about it? And the taming/breeding mechanism??
    Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited June 2017
    Eldurian said:

They basically copied UO taming system , which was intended
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Eldurian said:
    Mortal Online has a very complex taming, dominating, and breeding system. It's probably the best aspect of that game.
    I may have to try this. Ready for a true pet class again.

• HushBlushHushBlush Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Dragon's Prophet tamed dragons..

Let's Play Ragnarok Journey