Looks like ESO is now over the 10 Million units sold mark

Comments

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,288
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    My question is, are they counting PC-to-console account transfer as a new purchase as well?
    If those of us are not included then good job on selling 10 million copies.
    There were never any "transfers" as such. There were just account copies made for those who qualified ata certain point in time. If you did that, then you have a PC copy and a console copy and you can play either or both so yeah, you would count as 2 units bought.
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

But the game is successful and that's what matters.
    Wow! 2 people talking each other about who theory is better and presents them as 100% real, yet ... none knows exactly if any are right, lol. 

If any of you could point out any links that you count as 2 accounts , then do so. Else just shut up and stop debating conspiracy theories.

About ESO .. I had my doubts that it will succeed in the long run, yet .. here we are . ESO seems one of the few remaining MMO's with a very active playerbase and with good updates . Keep it up!
    There's no "theory" to this. It's just some of us know WTF we're talking about and others don't:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/04/09/elder-scrolls-online-sends-out-console-transfer-offer-for-older-accounts/

For a limited time, Elder Scrolls Online is offering a deal to allow PC players to copy (not move) their accounts to the upcoming Xbox One or PlayStation 4 version of the game for $20.

Emails have gone out to qualifying gamers notifying them of the one-time offer, which can be found on the ESO account store page and will continue until May 9th. After that, ZeniMax says that PC players will be unable to move their characters over.

To qualify for the offer, you had to have purchased and activated the game by June 30, 2014. You can choose to copy your characters to one or both console versions, but be aware that certain things like crowns and friends lists won’t make the jump. Once the transfer is purchased, the studio will send out an email with a code and more instructions. The console editions of Elder Scrolls Online will release on June 9th.

MrMelGibson
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • IceAgeIceAge SomeWhere In .. RomaniaMember RarePosts: 1,701
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    My question is, are they counting PC-to-console account transfer as a new purchase as well?
    There were never any "transfers" as such. There were just account copies made for those who qualified ata certain point in time. If you did that, then you have a PC copy and a console copy and you can play either or both so yeah, you would count as 2 units bought.
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

Wow! 2 people talking each other about who theory is better and presents them as 100% real, yet ... none knows exactly if any are right, lol. 

If any of you could point out any links that you count as 2 accounts , then do so. Else just shut up and stop debating conspiracy theories.

About ESO .. I had my doubts that it will succeed in the long run, yet .. here we are . ESO seems one of the few remaining MMO's with a very active playerbase and with good updates . Keep it up!
    There's no "theory" to this. It's just some of us know WTF we're talking about and others don't:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/04/09/elder-scrolls-online-sends-out-console-transfer-offer-for-older-accounts/

For a limited time, Elder Scrolls Online is offering a deal to allow PC players to copy (not move) their accounts to the upcoming Xbox One or PlayStation 4 version of the game for $20.

Emails have gone out to qualifying gamers notifying them of the one-time offer, which can be found on the ESO account store page and will continue until May 9th. After that, ZeniMax says that PC players will be unable to move their characters over.

To qualify for the offer, you had to have purchased and activated the game by June 30, 2014. You can choose to copy your characters to one or both console versions, but be aware that certain things like crowns and friends lists won’t make the jump. Once the transfer is purchased, the studio will send out an email with a code and more instructions. The console editions of Elder Scrolls Online will release on June 9th.

Wtf ? And where the heck it is writen that you are counted as 2 account out of 10 millions ,instead of one if you have done the ..transfer ?!
    KyleranIselin

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Wtf ? And where the heck it is writen that you are counted as 2 account out of 10 millions ,instead of one if you have done the ..transfer ?!
    Do your own research if you're interested.
  • NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,257
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Where is written the opposite?

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
    Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Apparently those of us who have bought 3 copies of the game and have 3 accounts (2 on the PC + a PS4 account) don't know WTF we're talking about. But random casual thread tourist does.

And as I already said above, it's not something that enough of us have done to detract from the 10 million units sold.
    ConstantineMerus
    Iselin said:
    Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Apparently those of us who have bought 3 copies of the game and have 3 accounts (2 on the PC + a PS4 account) don't know WTF we're talking about. But random casual thread tourist does.

And as I already said above, it's not something that enough of us have done to detract from the 10 million units sold.
    I want to believe he's just being naive. 

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

Iselin said:

I don't really care how many accounts you bought ( of course you will be counted as 3 if you buy 3 copies !!! ) . What I care is that you are trying to say that 1 PC account , after you will transfer it to PS4 , will count as 2 accounts . Link me where it says exactly what you are trying to say , and we are all good. 

And no , don't "google it" . You come up with this idea, you back it up!

Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Where is written the opposite of what I said ?!
    Iselin

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

Nyctelios said:
    Iselin said:
    Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

I want to believe he's just being naive. 
    Naive and asking questions is one thing and I'm usually glad to answer their questions politely.

But when they say:

"Wow! 2 people talking each other about who theory is better and presents them as 100% real, yet ... none knows exactly if any are right, lol." 

That's just someone trying to ridicule the sidebar discussion @rojoArcueid and I were having based on sheer ignorance.
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

I don't really care how many accounts you bought ( of course you will be counted as 3 if you buy 3 copies !!! ) . What I care is that you are trying to say that 1 PC account , after you will transfer it to PS4 , will count as 2 accounts . Link me where it says exactly what you are trying to say , and we are all good. 

Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

First: No need to go edgy.
    Second: You'll take their word and that's it?

They can release something about it, but that is their word and nothing else.

And seriously do you really expect the company would be transparent and tell "We used numbers from multiple purchases from different platforms due copies in promotions owned by the same player to inflate it and make it sounds better to appeal the masses"?

So, of course if there is any statement about it then it would be saying the opposite - but, again, you would just nod and swallow their numbers?

That's all it takes to you?

You are sure naive.

—Urza

edited June 16
    Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

First: No need to go edgy.
    Second: You'll take their word and that's it?

They can release something about it, but that is their word and nothing else.

And seriously do you really expect the company would be transparent and tell "We used numbers from multiple purchases from different platforms due copies in promotions owned by the same player to inflate it and make it sounds better to appeal the masses"?

So, of course if there is any statement about it then it would be saying the opposite - but, again, you would just nod and swallow their numbers?

That's all it takes to you?

You are sure naive.
    Thanks for proving that you are actually discussing conspiracy theories. 

Sure, we can't really take all of what they are saying as being 100% true, but trust me, I will also not take your theory into consideration simply because you are just assuming , with no real evidences. 

So yeah! My point stands. You 2 were talking theories and acting like it's the .."truth" . Otherwise, if you want to prove your point, do it with real evidences and not just some "random" texts and then throw it like it's true. 

Iselin said:

Naive and asking questions is one thing and I'm usually glad to answer their questions politely.

But when they say:

"Wow! 2 people talking each other about who theory is better and presents them as 100% real, yet ... none knows exactly if any are right, lol." 

That's just someone trying to ridicule the sidebar discussion @rojoArcueid and I were having based on sheer ignorance.
    Naive or not , just .. bring the proof's , please? Else, just .. keep come up with theories !
    Post edited by IceAge on
    Iselin

IceAge said:

Naive or not , just .. bring the proof's , please? Else, just .. keep come up with theories !
    What theory exactly would that be? I honestly don't even know WTF you're on about.
    IceAge said:
    Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

[snip]
    [snip]
    Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    [snip]
    [snip]
    [snip]
    [snip]

[snip]

[snip]
    [snip]
    [snip]
    [snip]
    Thanks for proving that you are actually discussing conspiracy theories. 

Sure, we can't really take all of what they are saying as being 100% true, but trust me, I will also not take your theory into consideration simply because you are just assuming , with no real evidences. 

So yeah! My point stands. You 2 were talking theories and acting like it's the .."truth" . Otherwise, if you want to prove your point, do it with real evidences and not just some "random" texts and then throw it like it's true. 
    Let me get this straight:

To you, companies talking in box sales trying to allude that it represents success of the media in numbers of players interacting with it is conspiracy?

Wow, you sure live in some other dimension.

They do it all the time.

Bethesda brags about map size on their games. Do you know they also count on it the area where you can't walk or interact just because it is there as a space?

Look at Blizzard and the PR involving player number along the years.

They shift words to spell half truths. Like what Final Fantasy 14 is doing now.

They open trials and free weekends so people will create an account and check it out. Months later "we have xx millions of accounts!!!", does the trial and free ones count? Does the inactive ones (like people who don't even own the expansion) counts?

That's not conspiracy, that's marketing 101. You make sure your thing look good and spell it in a way so it won't bite you in the ass later. Just like politics, or people on trial just saying they are unaware instead of saying yes or no (because the later would acknowledge you are aware where the first you use to avoid future persecutions, it is a common move).

So they say X accounts, not X players. Because they can't prove that aren't multiple accounts per player. If they said x players playing it someone could sue them for false advertisement.

And if you think nobody would sue them for false advertisement I suggest you look around some similar cases and you'll see how much care someone must have when handling PR and numbers. Because there are people out there just waiting for a breach to get easy money from big companies.

So, again, hardly a conspiracy, just the way the world works.

And if you fail to see that you either are naive af or live in a bubble. I'm sorry. 

—Urza

@Nyctelios

The only times Zenimax has specified what they're counting they've clearly said "units sold" as they did at E3 2016 when they said 7 million and then again last fall when they told Bill here it was 8.5. (http://www.mmorpg.com/elder-scrolls-online/news/matt-firor-85-million-eso-players-right-now-based-on-sales-1000043197)

How any one can argue that those of us who have bought 3 units are not counted 3 times and think that this is a conspiracy or theory is beyond comprehension.
    NycteliosMrMelGibson
    Iselin said:
    @Nyctelios

The only times Zenimax has specified what they're counting they've clearly said "units sold" as they did at E3 2016 when they said 7 million and then again last fall when they told Bill here it was 8.5. (http://www.mmorpg.com/elder-scrolls-online/news/matt-firor-85-million-eso-players-right-now-based-on-sales-1000043197)

How any one can argue that those of us who have bought 3 units are not counted 3 times and think that this is a conspiracy or theory is beyond comprehension.
    Yeah, I don't think they are acting with ill intention... It's just as it seems some people don't know how to fully understand certain statements.

I also don't see the value of bragging about that number, but I'm aware it's not me they are aiming for.

—Urza

• TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABMember RarePosts: 2,593
    edited June 16
    It's a buy to play game people. It is basically like saying you must spend X amount from the cash shop in order to play a F2P game. There is little difference.

This model still directly uses F2P model analytics where player retention and the percentage of players willing to buy from the cash shop. Purchased accounts as a metric is nothing more than guaranteed up front bonus income.

The real capital comes from the cash shop targeting those who spend the most by selective cash shop content and pricing. B2P simply adds content packs to the cash shop which would normally be free under a subscription model which forces players who wouldn't otherwise use the cash shop to use it.

Reporting the number of clients sold is a marketing gimmick. The REAL metrics are player retention and ratio of cash shop spenders which they will NEVER, EVER report .... ever, ever, ever.
    Post edited by Tamanous on
    Nebilim

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:
    It's a buy to play game people. It is basically like saying you must spend X amount from the cash shop in order to play a F2P game. There is little difference.

This model still directly uses F2P model analytics where player retention and the percentage of players willing to buy from the cash shop. Purchased accounts as a metric is nothing more than guaranteed up front bonus income.

The real capital comes from the cash shop targeting those who spend the most by selective cash shop content and pricing. B2P simply adds content packs to the cash shop which would normally be free under a subscription model which forces players who wouldn't otherwise use the cash shop to use it.

Reporting the number of clients sold is a marketing gimmick. The REAL metrics are player retention and ratio of cash shop spenders which they will NEVER, EVER report .... ever, ever, ever.
    You can always check steamspy and steamcharts for Steam related numbers.

The numbers are good, imo. 12k average players since Gold edition was launched (with a 20 something K peak if I remember correctly). Those are good numbers for steam alone.
    MrMelGibson

—Urza

edited June 16
    Nyctelios said:
    Tamanous said:

The numbers are good, imo. 12k average players since Gold edition was launched (with a 20 something K peak if I remember correctly). Those are good numbers for steam alone.
    That is not the companies actual metrics for the business model ... and not even close to reality across platforms.

I am only speaking of the reality of B2P/F2P models and not commenting on how successful the game is. Please do not assume meaning beyond what is stated.
    Post edited by Tamanous on

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Tamanous said:

That is not the companies actual metrics for the business model ... and not even close to reality across platforms.

I am only speaking of the reality of B2P/F2P models and not commenting on how successful the game is. Please do not assume meaning beyond what is stated.
    Never claimed or assumed otherwise. Simply saying steam numbers of active players.
    MrMelGibson

—Urza

Nyctelios said:
    Tamanous said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Tamanous said:

Never claimed or assumed otherwise. Simply saying steam numbers of active players.
    I am saying that that is a pointless stat. It is a small, partial measure of one single metric that is largely represented only on one platform. It reflects no other metric required to calculate F2P earnings. One does not even know what percentage of players launch through steam and all evidence shows it is a very small portion.

Steam numbers is about as valid as saying client sales reflects success in a cash shop model. Client sales doesn't even reflect ongoing success in a subscription game. You'd need to know exact subscription numbers just as you would require knowledge of each metric that makes up their B2P hybrid model ... and it is the model that they secretly protect. 

Tossing partial metrics at us is largely for marketing reasons only but certainly reflects better upon actual success the higher the number is, if assuming their B2P model is at least moderately effective.
    Nebilim

You stay sassy!

• gervaise1gervaise1 .Member EpicPosts: 4,461
    Last summer they announced 7M sales which means c.3M copies in about a year. In addition to some DLC and other stuff.

So another "good" year.

As to whether people who paid extra prior to Jun 2014 to get a console copy are counted as 1 sale or 2 its possible they could have factored these out - more likely they just added the PC, XB1 and PS4 ESO account totals together. 

Note: each platform is independent same as e.g. WoW regions - I first bought WoW in the US and when I next played it I was in EU so had to buy it again (holy smoke Batman that means I have been counted as 2 sales).

Either way the number - it is reasonable to assume - will have been small. ESO wasn't setting the sales charts on fire; no sales totals at all had been released; B2P wouldn't be announced till Jan 2015; it was unclear whether the console version would have a sub or not (even on PS4 since the original launch had been pulled.)

To reiterate though: at the end of the day c.3M sales in the c. last 12 months.
    Tamanous said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Tamanous said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Tamanous said:

I am saying that that is a pointless stat. It is a small, partial measure of one single metric that is largely represented only on one platform. It reflects no other metric required to calculate F2P earnings. One does not even know what percentage of players launch through steam and all evidence shows it is a very small portion.

Steam numbers is about as valid as saying client sales reflects success in a cash shop model. Client sales doesn't even reflect ongoing success in a subscription game. You'd need to know exact subscription numbers just as you would require knowledge of each metric that makes up their B2P hybrid model ... and it is the model that they secretly protect. 

Tossing partial metrics at us is largely for marketing reasons only but certainly reflects better upon actual success the higher the number is, if assuming their B2P model is at least moderately effective.
    It does not represents the overall number but is hardly pointless.

Please, let's not be rude.

—Urza

• ste2000ste2000 londonMember EpicPosts: 6,194
    Why are we twisting the meaning of the numbers?
    Does it matter if someone bought 3x copies rather than 1x?
    They still sold 10 Million copies, even if the unique players are less than that it is still a good number for a MMORPG.

Skyrim sold around 23 Million copies in the first 4 years, ESO sold almost half of that.
    Considering that MMORPGs (not including WoW) never get close to Single Player RPGs in terms of box sales, 10 Millions is a pretty good achievement.

MrMelGibsongervaise1

gervaise1 said:
    Last summer they announced 7M sales which means c.3M copies in about a year. In addition to some DLC and other stuff.

Yeah I already said that back on page 1. :)

Like I've already said multiple times on the thread that even though some people have more than 1 copy and have been counted more than once, that is a very small subset of the total population so it does not detract from the 10 million number much if at all.

I swear the lack of reading comprehension (not talking about you) in threads on this site are frightening.
    MrMelGibsonNycteliosgervaise1
  • ExcessionExcession NottinghamMember RarePosts: 709
    At the end of the day, it does not matter how many unique buyer's make up the 10 million units sold, they still sold them.
    IselinMrMelGibsongervaise1Nyghthowler

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson USAMember EpicPosts: 2,357
    Iselin said:
    @Nyctelios

I never understood why people think that when a person buys 2 copies they somehow only are counted as 1.  They got money for 2 separate games/accounts.  How is that any different then 2 players each having only 1 account?  I agree with you 100%.  I think some people just like to split hairs for no other reason than to argue.
    Torvalgervaise1Nyghthowler