The biggest problem isn't the story, voice acting or the actual game mechanics

2»

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 londonMember EpicPosts: 6,194
    The biggest problem wasn't the story, the voice acting, the actual game mechanics.

Most people stopped playing because the animations and character models are horrible (which is funny because in Age of Conan MMO, characters not only look better but have vastly better animations. Why didn't they copy AoC and make the engine more modern?)

I actually have to agree with you on that.
    In a way I feel ashamed to admit it but what really put me off TSW were the character models really generic and uninspiring (I wasn't even bothered by the animation much).

Considering how amazing AoC characters look I struggle to understand why TSW Characters look so bad.

jmcdermottukConstantineMerus

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk LiverpoolMember RarePosts: 1,463
    I have to agree with the OP. I couldn't get into TSW because the characters were FUGLY in the extreme and because I felt completely disconnected from what was happening on screen. The game lacked any feedback between what I was doing with the mouse and keyb and what the character did.

Add to that the lack of connection between the upper body and the legs of the character and the legs and the ground and you ended up with a character that looked like some marionette, floating around, but being controlled by 2 people, 1 on the legs and 1 on the torso/arms.

It was such a disappointment when compared to AoC, which had some of the best animations and character models of any MMO. There is no excuse for Funcom doing such a bad job when they can clearly do better.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingMember RarePosts: 4,032
    I admit I don't care much about gfx and animations since it has minimal weight in a game's overall quality - at least for me (just think back of the awesome games in the '80s :lol: ).
    Still, I can accept that as an issue, since AoC indeed has much more "flexible" character models, even if it sometimes resulted some wicked breakdance moves https://youtu.be/HyCm8GOEoT8

My guess is that it was a result of a tug-of-war with the engine. Environment mapping and textures are much more detailed than in AoC, and probably they had to cut back somewhere to compensate it. Remember, at launch there wasn't even a height slider, there was one male and one female body rendered, and that's all. (of course it's just speculation on my part, I have no idea why they went this way... maybe Gaia favors a selected bodytype and BMI index, and only picks agents who match that :wink: )

But

what's the relevance of it, in the current topic? Legends will have the same animations... If that was what turned you away from TSW, no changes in that area at all.
    Agent_Joseph
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 12,986
    I disagree op,i am as finnicky as they come when deciding to first try a game and then to stick with it.
    I never once had any feeling about animations or character models,at least not that i can remember.

I id have a big problem with the linear design even though pretending to be an open world and certain forced combat areas.Then the combat was just bad but then again i find combat bad in almost all mmorpg's after playing FFXI because FFXI just does the same things only more and imo better.

I actually found TSW combat to be about as bad as can be,it did nothing to make me want to play any further,i quit on the second day.

Back on the subject of animations and models,name one game that the players don't look like pinwheel mannequin's?Then models are 95% covered by gear,so why would the model matter much at all?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• darkheartsdarkhearts Waterbury, CTMember UncommonPosts: 117
    I left because of the armor system they added into new york. Screwed up the build I loved to play and I felt weak. I only played for the story.
  • ShazPurShazPur SPANGAMember UncommonPosts: 40
    I couldn't care less about the animations or character models.

What caused me to stop playing was that they did some things that they had said that they would never do like raising equipment limits to 10.10, turning up the end game grindfactor to 11, and introducing mounts to a world with already tiny zones. Dumbing down the starting zones and a currency reform that made all the scenarios I played useless had something to do with it as well.

Going to try legends with an open mind, as I never finished the story on an illuminati character.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,445
    It was never the animations, it was the nearly thoughtless execution of combat rotations that I found lackluster. For me the combat is better because it's not a 3 button global builder spam followed by a consumer with the odd utility thrown in. 

In challenging encounters now you need to budget your resources and plan your cooldowns and pay attention to your mechanics. There's more to it than simple resource management but I'll wait until it's more appropriate to discuss in detail.

It's simply an improvement because it's more thoughtful. Whether someone likes the mechanics of each weapon (because each weapon has a unique mechanic to it) or enjoys that is a different story.

The combat had no character before. It definitely has character and style now.
    Kyleran
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,445
    As to the monetization or anything else, I'm looking forward to the 23rd when we can discuss that at a more appropriate time. There is other stuff I like and don't like, but combat always comes up as the poster child of woe in these discussions.
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • HarikenHariken Brighton, MAMember RarePosts: 1,695
    edited June 18
    Mykell said:
    I left because i hit a point where the skills i had chosen couldn't get past the content and i didn't really understand why. The whole skill wheel thing just wasn't very intuitive and more of a reason why i stopped playing rather than anything to do with models or animation.
    This is why i think they are changing it. There just aren't enough hardcore players bringing in money because they float from game to game. They have made it really casual in TSWL. From what i'm hearing the veteran players won't be happy when this new game comes out. But they still will be able to play the old game if they want. And i'm interested and seeing how the new more co op than mmo idea works.
    Post edited by Hariken on
  • tharkthark FalunMember UncommonPosts: 1,187
    What was bad about TSW:
    1. horrible combat, I killed mobs behind me with a shotgun
    2. bad animations, especially death animations
    3. cutscenes were way overdone, way too much for supposed MMO
    4. The game felt like a single player game with other people running around
    5. The world felt too small and limited
    6. The 3 faction part of the game never felt right
    7. Too much voice acting with my character sitting there looking stupid
    The game was not ment for you :)
    mysticmouse