Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are we on VR?

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    from reading this thread its sounding like to me the naysayers are dropping in population
    I don't believe people's opinions have really changed much. What I'm hearing is that VR needs more time in the oven.

It's got great professional and educational applications.

My kids Oculus basically sits on his shelf now. His use has gone down to about 30 minutes every couple weeks and falling. His attitude went from "this is the greatest" to "meh"

This isn't a knock on VR. It's just not ready for mass appeal. The hit games will be a new style and genre of games developed from ground zero around VR . Traditional games IMHO don't really lend themselves well to VR, they're awkward.

I think we're still 5-10 years away from mass consumption. Probably when technology advances enough to get rid of the cables.
    From looking at this forum I am reading more people saying they have either tried and liked it or are looking forward to it then I had read in the past. nothing you can say will change my view on what it appears I am reading in this thread.
    Of course nothing can change a closed mind, not even rational analysis. 

But lets take a look, I broke the responses down into 4 categories, and of course, it's my opinion where everyone's landed.

Love/Like VR - 5
    No/Didn't like VR - 2
    OP posts - 6
    Neutral, Not ready, Better for other users - 14

So I'd say the conclusion is pretty much where we were last summer, still waiting for a great reason to use VR, particularly for gaming.

PhaserlightMrMelGibsonalkarionlog

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2017
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    from reading this thread its sounding like to me the naysayers are dropping in population
    I don't believe people's opinions have really changed much. What I'm hearing is that VR needs more time in the oven.

My kids Oculus basically sits on his shelf now. His use has gone down to about 30 minutes every couple weeks and falling. His attitude went from "this is the greatest" to "meh"

This isn't a knock on VR. It's just not ready for mass appeal. The hit games will be a new style and genre of games developed from ground zero around VR . Traditional games IMHO don't really lend themselves well to VR, they're awkward.

I think we're still 5-10 years away from mass consumption. Probably when technology advances enough to get rid of the cables.
    From looking at this forum I am reading more people saying they have either tried and liked it or are looking forward to it then I had read in the past. nothing you can say will change my view on what it appears I am reading in this thread.

But lets take a look, I broke the responses down into 4 categories, and of course, it's my opinion where everyone's landed.

Love/Like VR - 5
    No/Didn't like VR - 2
    OP posts - 6

So I'd say the conclusion is pretty much where we were last summer, still waiting for a great reason to use VR, particularly for gaming.

yes I know..

number in favor 6 months ago would have been 1 maybe 2 in the forums. now its more.

hello??????????????????????????????????????

thus more is ...well...as I said...more..more actuall means more..its doesnt mean 100% it means more than, as is more than 6 months ago. more than does not mean the majority of the current it means more than in the past which is what i said, is it not?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Love/Like VR - 5
    No/Didn't like VR - 2
    OP posts - 6

Resident Evil 7 :| If you end up regretting it I'll pay for your loss. 
    MrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    The only VR today to talk about is Mobile VR.   PC VR is a nonstarter.  Sales are stagnant, virtually nonexistent, and mobile VR "hardware" (headsets) were arbitrarily manufacturing demand by coupling them with new phone releases (gear vr,  daydream).

At the moment, demand for VR is in a slump, a lot of companies have backed away from deployment, at least in the content sector.   As a content creator for VR systems (360 videos with interactivity) I've gotten a lot fewer requests in the past 3 months than I did 6 months ago for videos.   

I would get requests from PR companies for events,  Realty companies for homes, parks and wildlife... all requesting for interactive 360 videos usable by headsets.  Now?  Not much.

Take note that all of the work I did utilized mostly gear sets with a controller.

In 2016 projected growth decreased month after month once the hype diminished.  You'll still see slow VR predictions that translate into tens of billions of dollars by 2021+  but ALL of those predictions at this juncture have also included Mixed Reality (MR)   which are the sets that Microsoft is putting out, and Magicleap plans to launch early next year.

Mixed reality is set to eclipse VR by 3 to 1 in the same time frame.

But just like VR, and despite me feeling it to be correct,  there is no evidence it will do so.  The continued decrease of expectations in VR show a very realistic view of what we can expect for MR.

These technological advancements are nowhere near being mainstream, popular, or even sought after by the greater public for consumer use.  

edited June 2017
    The only VR today to talk about is Mobile VR.   PC VR is a nonstarter.  Sales are stagnant, virtually nonexistent,.....  

completely agree that mobile is the place to look. Do not agree that VR PC sales are '....virtually nonexistent...' I dont see data that suggests 'virtually nonexistent'

SEANMCAD said:
    The only VR today to talk about is Mobile VR.   PC VR is a nonstarter.  Sales are stagnant, virtually nonexistent,.....  

completely agree that mobile is the place to look. Do not agree that VR PC sales are '....virtually nonexistent...' I dont see data that suggests 'virtually nonexistent'
    I don't have tons of time to debate lately, but here's a good article from the Financial Times:

https://www.ft.com/content/f7e231ee-fc84-11e6-96f8-3700c5664d30

edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:

I don't have tons of time to debate lately, but here's a good article from the Financial Times:

50,000 x $700 is not 'virtually nonexistent' by anyones standard. your a little too excited to paint it far worse then it actually is.

http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-sold-at-profit-sales-figures-data-units-more-than-140000/

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

50,000 x $700 is not 'virtually nonexistent' by anyones standard. your a little too excited to paint it far worse then it actually is.

http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-sold-at-profit-sales-figures-data-units-more-than-140000/
    Those are old numbers.  Try and find current ones.  It will undoubtedly be more, but growth has been weak. Stagnant. Nonexistent. Kaputz.  Not to mention the numbers you're showing are WAY under their projections.  You already know that though, we hashed this out months ago.

Just go back and read my responses then. I don't need to repeat myself. 

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I have the Gear VR for my phone, and it is cool, but I only used it 1-2 times.  It is more due to the fact that I have to remove my phone case and what not to put on the goggles.  Also the graphics are not that good, but you can watch netflix and what not in VR which is cool.  The PS-VR is out of my price range, but i wouldnt mind checking it out.  I think there is a game called farpoint coming out that is supposed to be good.  As of now i dont see me going VR for a good while. 
    maskedweasel
    edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Those are old numbers.  Try and find current ones.  It will undoubtedly be more, but growth has been weak. Stagnant. Nonexistent. Kaputz.  Not to mention the numbers you're showing are WAY under their projections.  You already know that though, we hashed this out months ago.

yeah my numbers of 50,000 are old, in fact its more than 140,000 as of last year for HTC alone. 

You think the numbers are going down? what? people are returning them 6 months later?

the problem is your choice of words is not the correct scale.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

yeah my numbers of 50,000 are old, in fact its more than 140,000 as of last year for HTC alone. 

You think the numbers are going down? what? people are returning them 6 months later?

Stagnant is the correct word.  Missing projections is the correct term.  Doing poorly is an adequate statement. I can't get any more clear. 

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Stagnant is the correct word.  Missing projections is the correct term.  Doing poorly is an adequate statement. I can't get any more clear. 
    but that wasnt the word I choose to challenge you on now was it?

can you say 'the choice of the specific phrase 'virtually nonexistent' was not a good choice'

because that is what I am looking for here

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

can you say 'the choice of the specific phrase 'virtually nonexistent' was not a good choice'

Not going to debate semantics.  "Virtually" being the key word.  

Virtually: adverb
    1. nearly; almost.
      "virtually all those arrested were accused"

Falling hundreds of thousands under expectations and being a tiny keynote on an earnings report, stating it was below projections.  

If I were you I would have posted the PSVR numbers of nearly a million sold.  Still well under even Sonys projections, but at least then we'd be in a number that is "virtually mediocre",

edited June 2017

Not going to debate semantics.  "Virtually" being the key word.  

Virtually: adverb
    1. nearly; almost.
      "virtually all those arrested were accused"

Falling hundreds of thousands under expectations and being a tiny keynote on an earnings report, stating it was below projections.  

If I were you I would have posted the PSVR numbers of nearly a million sold.  Still well under even Sonys projections, but at least then we'd be in a number that is "virtually mediocre",
    you can randomly talk about the weather or about the use of the word 'Stagnant' all you want I cant make you stop but I am not addressing the use of the word 'Stagnant' anymore than I am addressing the weather. I selected the phrase I selected for a specific reason and I didnt select the other words for a specific reason. The use of the word 'Stagnant' is not in question here.
    I selected 'Virtually nonexistent' specifically and I didnt select the word 'Stagnant' specifically and I was aware of it when I did it.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    VR will just end up like 4k resolutions. It'll be around but the investment will be low. 4k has been around for a while and still so few companies support it.
    Kyleran
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think I'm gonna love VR!!!  In a bit though.  I wanna wait to the 2nd or 3rd generation.  This way a few more games (quality) come out and the hardware is more mature.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited June 2017
    Albatroes said:
    VR will just end up like 4k resolutions. It'll be around but the investment will be low. 4k has been around for a while and still so few companies support it.
    What do you mean by few companies support 4K?

All TV and Monitor brands have several 4K models. 

You can play (almost) all games in 4K resolution, even games from last decade. 
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung