Vanilla World of Warcraft, the most Brilliant video game ever made.

13»

Comments

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 4,840
    edited June 30
    Sovrath said:
    WoW was/is crap compare to EQ1. Having a huge number of mouth breathing followers does not a great game make. 

EQ1 was/is crap compared to WoW.  Having a huge number of mouth breathing followers does not a great game make.

See, I can be an asshole too :wink:
    Not an asshole, just someone who has no idea what they are talking about. WoW was for clueless themepark noobs. 

WoW is the worst thing to ever happen to MMORPG's. It brought MMORPG's down to the lowest common denominator. 
    No it didn't. The other development companies did that.

The World of Warcraft management didn't hire toughs to go into other studios and force them to adopt certain design decisions and didn't threaten anyone if they didn't comply.

They just made a game. And one that did a good job at what it originally was trying to do. A group of people saw design decisions that "they" did not like so they changed things to suit their tastes.

This brought in more people who probably would not have tried an MMO before World of Warcraft. I would bet that the game play of early Ultima or Everquest was NOT what the average person was looking to do.

But they were successful and other studios wanted the same success and they only have themselves to blame.

While I"m not a fan of World of Warcraft I did, at the time, like the quests as coming from Lineage 2 it was just grind, grind, grind. It was definitely a nice change. Who knew that "questing" (a word that I now associate with "bad" in these games) would turn into what it has today, a relay race of gathering up tasks, running to the glowy bit and running back.

So "yes" World of Warcraft was, to address the original post, brilliant in taking things that other people disliked and streamlining them. It gathered a huge following of people who weren't necessarily gamers let along mmorpg players.

But its only brilliance is that it did what it set out to do and did it well. However, it did not ruin the genre (provided one doesn't like that type of game play). You can blame the other people in the industry for that because they followed when they could have led.
    Equating something as going "mainstream/popular" does not make a good game. Seeing how many sheep can be fleeced out of money isn't my metric for what a great game is. WoW is the McDonalds of video games. Just because McDonalds feeds tens of millions of people per year doesn't mean I'm going to bypass a real hamburger restaurant for something that is more popular.

The hilarious title is the only thing that brought me to this thread. I can literally name hundreds of games better than WoW. But that list of games would be too challenging for anyone who loves WoW.    
    I'm a white guy who eats in a different ethnic resteraunt every weekday of every week. One of my favourite sayings is, "if you want to eat good Chinese food, go to where the Chinese eat" 

You know... Every once in a while... I go to Mcpukes and get me a Big Mac and do you know what? It tastes pretty good now and then.

I'm a firm believer in getting one's stick outta one's ass ;)
    Post edited by laserit on
    MrMelGibsonSovrath

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Figueira da FozMember EpicPosts: 4,085
    waynejr2 said:
    Well, it certainly wasn't bug free. I felt the UI wasn't clunky like many games that came before it.  So that is a big plus in my mind.
    The old games get much love.

But try to come out with a new game like WoW Vanilla and it would be "worse MMO 2k17".

The expectations are FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR higher.
  • WarlyxWarlyx UnknowMember RarePosts: 2,326
    resume : WOW FIRST MMORPG

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAMember EpicPosts: 7,615
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    WoW was/is crap compare to EQ1. Having a huge number of mouth breathing followers does not a great game make. 

EQ1 was/is crap compared to WoW.  Having a huge number of mouth breathing followers does not a great game make.

Not an asshole, just someone who has no idea what they are talking about. WoW was for clueless themepark noobs. 

WoW is the worst thing to ever happen to MMORPG's. It brought MMORPG's down to the lowest common denominator. 

The World of Warcraft management didn't hire toughs to go into other studios and force them to adopt certain design decisions and didn't threaten anyone if they didn't comply.

They just made a game. And one that did a good job at what it originally was trying to do. A group of people saw design decisions that "they" did not like so they changed things to suit their tastes.

This brought in more people who probably would not have tried an MMO before World of Warcraft. I would bet that the game play of early Ultima or Everquest was NOT what the average person was looking to do.

But they were successful and other studios wanted the same success and they only have themselves to blame.

While I"m not a fan of World of Warcraft I did, at the time, like the quests as coming from Lineage 2 it was just grind, grind, grind. It was definitely a nice change. Who knew that "questing" (a word that I now associate with "bad" in these games) would turn into what it has today, a relay race of gathering up tasks, running to the glowy bit and running back.

So "yes" World of Warcraft was, to address the original post, brilliant in taking things that other people disliked and streamlining them. It gathered a huge following of people who weren't necessarily gamers let along mmorpg players.

But its only brilliance is that it did what it set out to do and did it well. However, it did not ruin the genre (provided one doesn't like that type of game play). You can blame the other people in the industry for that because they followed when they could have led.
    Equating something as going "mainstream/popular" does not make a good game. Seeing how many sheep can be fleeced out of money isn't my metric for what a great game is. WoW is the McDonalds of video games. Just because McDonalds feeds tens of millions of people per year doesn't mean I'm going to bypass a real hamburger restaurant for something that is more popular.

The hilarious title is the only thing that brought me to this thread. I can literally name hundreds of games better than WoW. But that list of games would be too challenging for anyone who loves WoW.    
    I'm a white guy who eats in a different ethnic resteraunt every weekday of every week. One of my favourite sayings is, "if you want to eat good Chinese food, go to where the Chinese eat" 

You know... Every once in a while... I go to Mcpukes and get me a Big Mac and do you know what? It tastes pretty good now and then.

I feel that way about KFC.  Every couple of years I get a hankering for some.  Although, if I am going to a chain chicken joint, Popeyes is tastier.   Making it at home is best!
    Distopialaserit
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• delete5230delete5230 Member RarePosts: 4,100
    edited July 1
    waynejr2 said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:

I feel that way about KFC.  Every couple of years I get a hankering for some.  Although, if I am going to a chain chicken joint, Popeyes is tastier.   Making it at home is best!

Post edited by delete5230 on