Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED: Magic: The Gathering MMO Announced by Cryptic & PWE - MMORPG.com News

124»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Nyctelios said:
    They "killed" Dominica for a reason. They won't use it, I'm almost sure.

My bet is on this:

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf

Since recently it was made for D&D 5ed.

BUT! The old days of magic were all about changing planes. If some there, more than any other, fits MMO so well is MagicTG universe: You can make portals and artifacts linking complete new maps and the lore supports it.

Also, you can go crazy on design, since they are literally new worlds.

I'm trying not to be excited about this project... Because anything after Alara broke my heart in regards to Magic, yet my inner plainswalker spark is burning stronger than ever. 

Please don't suck.
    Zendikar feels like one of the weaker setting for a MMO, they could at least use Lorwyn then. Then again, I rather have Zendikar then something like new Phyrexia...

I might be because I started to play in Dominica but it is the setting I prefer and the one with most fleshed out lore. 

And yeah, I hope it wont suck as well. The setting have huge MMORPG potential with the possibility of unique progression by cards instead of levels but making something like that would mean Cryptic actually have to figure out new unique mechanics instead of just making something like Wow but with spells that drops from mobs.

So I fear it will suck but I really hope I am wrong and that Cryptic actually get things right. But they did mess up a Forgotten realms MMO which should be the easiest MMO setting ever to pull off so I ain't have high hopes here....

The best Magic or magic clone game around is still Microprose "Master of magic" which wasn't an official game but clearly inspired of it. Besides that the games I seen have been pretty "meh".
    [Deleted User]
  • grayknyghtgrayknyght Member UncommonPosts: 25

Nyctelios said:

Man, I'm so excited!!! MagicTG MMO! I can't wait so PWE and Cryptic will ruin it completely!

No kidding. I won't touch anything they're involved in anymore.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited June 2017
    So, looking at the posts here re dev and publisher, I have a question:

Instead of Cryptic/PWE - who would you choose that would realistically do this?

Blizzard? - no, they've already shied away from making another mmo
    SE  - hands full with FFXIV on the mmo front.
    EA - same answer as SE but with Swtor.
    ArenaNet - insert GW2 and repeat the above.

So who are we left with that's got the resource and will to manufacture and support a brand new mmo?
    And by will I mean -
    1. why would they if they're already in the midst of another mmo launch
    or
    2. have a substantial mmo stable already
    or
    3. been bitten badly in the genre and highly unlikely to go there again