Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED: Magic: The Gathering MMO Announced by Cryptic & PWE - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99
    F2P, gonna be trash.
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Hmm I wonder how this is going to go. "MMORPG" as in FFXIV, WoW, ESO. Something like that? I have already lost some care after reading Perfect world and Cryptic are going to be hosting it. Everyone enjoy content locked behind paywalls and in game currency you can spend real cash to get.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    It sounds like a disaster in the making, simply based on its developer and publisher...

Hopefully its development cost and inevitable flop doesn't completely put Wizards out of business.
    Cyber_wasteland
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited June 2017
    I don't like Neverwinter, feels too claustrophobic for an MMO so I hope they don't go down that road...
    Cyber_wasteland
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    If you don't like lock boxes, don't buy them. Even the box containing the annoying stream of who got what announcements can be relocated to an unobtrusive spot on the screen in their games that I play. It is more a contrived issue than an actual one. As far as it being "AAA", that is simply a marketing term in the context of a game announcement.

I'll take a look at it when it comes out, and probably dabble in it from time to time when the mood strikes. I'm not a huge fan of MtG, so how much dabbling I do will be based on what the game offers as opposed to the enjoyment of being able to enter their world.
    jimmywolfSteelhelm
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    yet another F2P card game
    Distopia
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited June 2017
    goozmania said:
    It sounds like a disaster in the making, simply based on its developer and publisher...

Hopefully its development cost and inevitable flop doesn't completely put Wizards out of business.
    If that were the case, it would make little sense to give this IP to them. Obviously Cryptic and PW get by quite well (know how to turn a profit) without the audience who visits this site.  And LOL at put WOTC out of business, I highly doubt it's their money on the line, they just own the IP.  They get paid regardless.  
    Azaron_NightbladeMrMelGibsonGorwe

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Distopia said:
    goozmania said:

If that were the case, it would make little sense to give this IP to them. Obviously Cryptic and PW get by quite well (know how to turn a profit) without the audience who visits this site.  And LOL at put WOTC out of business, I highly doubt it's their money on the line, they just own the IP.  They get paid regardless.  
    ^Pretty much. It'll do well enough. And they could do far worse when it comes to publishers.
    Cryptic's monetization might be annoying at times, but at least they don't shutter games left and right, NCSoft style. That, combined with the frequent updates their games see, shows that they know what they're doing.
    Distopia

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    I cant afford F2P so I am out. I can already see the future: Opens free deck of cards! WoW! a free box of 60 lands, Oh you want creatures? Artifacts? Instants? That will be $9.99 a pack. Of course packs only have 3 cards instead of 15 like a real pack of cards.
    Azaron_Nightblade

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I cant afford F2P so I am out. I can already see the future: Opens free deck of cards! WoW! a free box of 60 lands, Oh you want creatures? Artifacts? Instants? That will be $9.99 a pack. Of course packs only have 3 cards instead of 15 like a real pack of cards.
    In all fairness to PWE... you would likely have the opportunity to grind 500 hours to get one of those $9.99 packs. ;)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I don't think you could make a Magic the Gathering anything without it being pay to win. The card game was pay to win even before we had heard of pay to win.
    Azaron_NightbladeDistopiaGinazdeniterGorweDakeruJinh
  • MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Cool. But Cryptic? This means Free to Play with gambling boxes up the wazoo. Log into Star Trek Online for a glimpse. Such a shame...
    Isnt this what MtG is all about? I think Cryptic and them fit well together.

MtG is about buying packs after packs to get the cards you want and the rares...so yes...great fit but I wont be playing.
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    "Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios"

Aaaaaaaand it's already ruined.
    [Deleted User]SamhaelSteelhelmGorwe
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    lame
  • cloud3431cloud3431 Member CommonPosts: 9
    i'd buy a base model and however many expansions after if they do it properly. i know i definitely wanna go lightning balling people to death. but seeing how all the failures cryptic and perfect world have, i really don't have high hopes that this will be any better. they'd have to make actual action combat like tera, mix in the long tedious quests from runescape and make it look like eso or dark and light. not all anime, like most crap mmorpgs are looking. can only wish
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Lheiah said:

Are you sure the game is not titled, "Wallet: The Reckoning"?

Lost me at f2p, guess I'm not their target demographic. Guess it could be worse, at least the word Trion doesn't show up anywhere.

I think they are changing the name to "Lockbox: The Gambling"
    LOL
    Lheiah[Deleted User]NildenMadFrenchieMabushii
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119

kilun said:

Neverwinter reskinned is all I am going to see. It'll probably be out by years end.

And Neverwinter is just re-skinned Star Trek Online, which is just re-skinned Champions Online.

YAY! *sarcasm*
    Ozmodan
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Loke666 said:

Just FYI, we're seeking clarification, because while the PR says "RPG", Venture Beat is reporting it's an MMO. I hope so!

Yes, and a MMO is likely since Cryptic is MMO focused but I wish someone else would develop it. Cryptic tend to rush their games so much that they loose a lot of the potential and PWE is one of those companies that put more effort into looks then gameplay.

Yeah, and most of Cryptic's stuff is just plain crap.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I really like Champions Online. That game has awesome character creation/build, especially when the time it was released. I personally had a great time playing. I just did a revisit and still was ok. In my humble opinion, although CoH was the best superhero MMO, but CO made you feel like you were right inside a comic book. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited June 2017
    On one hand MTG has a great universe and if done well I would really love to see some of the planes. Hopefully Innistrad makes it in. Alara was my other favorite but they would have to pull some real funky stuff to get that in anywhere unless this happens further back in the timeline.

Going back in the timeline is a good idea anyway. Would allow for some other fan favorites such as Mirrodin (Not technically destroyed but pretty much destroyed.)  

That being said, if it's just another themepark they won't be receiving my money.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Another so-called free to play mess. I will pass thank you.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Interesting!  Thanks for the info!
    YashaX
  • n3xxn3xx Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Oh great Cryptic & PWE usurp another IP so they can squeeze all the cash they can out of fans and run the game into the ground.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I'm hoping so very much that this game will be good. I don't care if it has a heavy cash shop or p2w just as long as it's fun.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Quizzical said:
    I don't think you could make a Magic the Gathering anything without it being pay to win. The card game was pay to win even before we had heard of pay to win.
    I don't think you could make a game like Magic without it being p2w.  It's the nature of the beast for the genre.  Either you accept it or find something else to do.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.