Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Help Finding a New MMORPG

StormolaStormola Member UncommonPosts: 17
Hi All 

I am looking for a new MMORPG and am hoping to find some help here . 

My favorite game thus far was EQ ( Rallos Zek Server ) . Was completely open market , everything was tradeable , there was open world pvp with consequence ( player that killed you could take a piece of gear ) 

I enjoy an open market / good trade system . I like to play the market . The more gear that is BOE vs BOP the more fun the market is .

I also enjoy a game that is gear dependant . I like playing dungeons and hoping for that drop etc . 

I enjoy PVP ( open world best but BG ok too ) 

I enjoy playing a range archer / hunter . Don't care if they are OP or Gimp . Just enjoy using a bow . 

I don't invest money in games other than initial cost and or monthly fee but I don't care if others take advantage of a store etc that helps their character . I enjoy playing the game , could care less how other people acquire their stuff and build their character . That feeling is what has put so many restrictions on games that I dislike . BOP / Level Specific Gear etc . I could care less when twinks would batter me as I tried to get into Blackburrow when playing EQ . They just were a challenge in the game . Same with open world pvp . Some people seem to take it personally . I just look at it as a challenge in the game ( I am never the most skilled or best geared ) and actually enoy the unpredictability of it , makes the world seem more alive and real to me . 

Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated . Thanks in advance for trying to help . 

Have already played EQ , Darkfall , EQ II , AOC , ESO , Neverwinter , Aion , Perfect World , DAOC , WOW 

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I'm trying to create a profile of what you like.

• Open World PvP
    • Freedom
    • Long Range Combat

Unimportant features

• People being more powerful than you
    • Other people investing money
    Anything else you would add, and is a fantasy setting important to you?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    LOTRO ,ESO or Project Gorgon
    edited June 2017
    Based of what you've said you like if you would be ok trading the bow aethstetic for really, really long range missiles or guns I would say play EVE and roll Caldari. You could also roll an Artillery based Minmatar or beam laser based Amarr. 

If you are ok with a game that is still in alpha them Crowfall as a ranger could be really fun too. That seems like a solid choice if you are willing to pay to play an alpha or wait a bit for a finished product.

If you are ok with massive stat disparity and grinding for a really long time and want a general themepark style game with a greater emphasis on sandbox features and PvP, then you could do ArcheAge. Primeval or Stone Arrow would suit you. Though archers in that game are widely considered a bit weaker than melee builds.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Eldurian said:
    Based of what you've said you like if you would be ok trading the bow aethstetic for really, really long range missiles or guns I would say play EVE and roll Caldari. You could also roll an Artillery based Minmatar or beam laser based Amarr. 

If you are ok with a game that is still in alpha them Crowfall as a ranger could be really fun too. That seems like a solid choice if you are willing to pay to play an alpha or wait a bit for a finished product.

If you are ok with massive stat disparity and grinding for a really long time and want a general themepark style game with a greater emphasis on sandbox features and PvP, then you could do ArcheAge. Primeval or Stone Arrow would suit you. Though archers in that game are widely considered a bit weaker than melee builds.
    I managed to make The Outrider in Archeage viable for myself , was alot of bumps and bruises , but i really enjoyed it , and in the end was quite effective .. Tuff class to learn , but fun as hell and really good once mastered
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    The only thing I could suggest is:

Lord of the Rings Online, however it's extremely easy, and it becomes boring because of it. 

Vanilla World of Warcraft, not the retail.
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Adventure Quest 3D, Ragnarok Journey, Ragnarok II, and as I heard, Black Dessert Online 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Ranger in BDO would seem to fit the bill tbh, the bow combat is very fluid and relies heavily on mobility and timing of combo's etc. It also has a fairly healthy PVP environment, mostly based around node wars. :)
    Vardahoth said:
    Can't trade with players in BDO. Also, half the ranger skills are melee and kicking. Also, the archer in ESO is just a secondary (not primary) class.
    If ESO is anything like it was at launch then none of the classes are archery, melee, or magic based. They just kind of flavor your build. Even as a sorcerer which would logically seem to be a magic based class you could pick a melee or ranged weapon, focus the majority of your build around that, and then just use your class for utilities like the summon. And be pretty effective if you built it right.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Eldurian said:
    Vardahoth said:
    Can't trade with players in BDO. Also, half the ranger skills are melee and kicking. Also, the archer in ESO is just a secondary (not primary) class.
    If ESO is anything like it was at launch then none of the classes are archery, melee, or magic based. They just kind of flavor your build. Even as a sorcerer which would logically seem to be a magic based class you could pick a melee or ranged weapon, focus the majority of your build around that, and then just use your class for utilities like the summon. And be pretty effective if you built it right.
    Yeah, one of ESOs turn offs for Me was the flexibility of gear use between all classes.

I thought I rolled a heavy armor, stamina rich duel weilding DK but found some of the tougher fights went better with light armor and a healing staff.

I know many enjoy this about the game but just not something I liked.
    Sovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Phry said:
    Ranger in BDO would seem to fit the bill tbh, the bow combat is very fluid and relies heavily on mobility and timing of combo's etc. It also has a fairly healthy PVP environment, mostly based around node wars. :)
    I am thinking on Playing BDO however, I still want to know the opinions of players 
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    edited June 2017
    Stormola said:
    Hi All 

My favorite game thus far was EQ ( Rallos Zek Server ) . Was completely open market , everything was tradeable , there was open world pvp with consequence ( player that killed you could take a piece of gear ) 

I enjoy an open market / good trade system . I like to play the market . The more gear that is BOE vs BOP the more fun the market is .

I also enjoy a game that is gear dependant . I like playing dungeons and hoping for that drop etc . 

I enjoy playing a range archer / hunter . Don't care if they are OP or Gimp . Just enjoy using a bow . 

I don't invest money in games other than initial cost and or monthly fee but I don't care if others take advantage of a store etc that helps their character . I enjoy playing the game , could care less how other people acquire their stuff and build their character . That feeling is what has put so many restrictions on games that I dislike . BOP / Level Specific Gear etc . I could care less when twinks would batter me as I tried to get into Blackburrow when playing EQ . They just were a challenge in the game . Same with open world pvp . Some people seem to take it personally . I just look at it as a challenge in the game ( I am never the most skilled or best geared ) and actually enoy the unpredictability of it , makes the world seem more alive and real to me

Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated . Thanks in advance for trying to help . 

Have already played EQ , Darkfall , EQ II , AOC , ESO , Neverwinter , Aion , Perfect World , DAOC , WOW 

I recommend trying Baldur's Gate Online for the reasons I highlighted in your original post. Right now the whole cost associated with it is $9, so you get a really good bang for the buck with it. When you also take into account that nothing can be bought for real money and there are no bots or 3rd parties selling things on other websites (a genuine 100% free-to-play game), that raises the value even more. The downside is that it is a small scale MORPG with only 96 players per server, but the benefit is that you can have 30-40 players travelling together in the open world. In that way, it is more massive than some MMORPGs where you can have only 4-12 players in a group together in a dungeon or raid.

There are no limitations or item restrictions, nothing is binded, everything can be dropped on the ground, traded to other players or sold at the auction house. Any monster has a tiny chance of dropping some really nice item because of an item generator system. Nowadays there are no item level restrictions, so you can play and get nice items on one character and then put them right away on a new character. You can also respec your character, though that costs experience points the higher level you are (until level 10 it is free).

There is open world pvp, though it is mostly based on role-playing reasons. True kill-on-sight pvp is in situations when an Underdark dweller like a drow or a duergar goes to the surface or vice versa, a human, dwarf or elf ventures into the deep Underdark territory. The Upperdark is a middle zone which separates the surface and the Underdark.

There are many varieties of archers and hunters. Since the game allows anyone to use any weapon as long as you take weapon feats for the weapon, you can make a sniper or hunter out of any class. There are some main classes and prestige classes specifically for that role: ranger, arcane archer, crossbow sniper, divine archer, elemental archer, harper scout, warsling sniper, rogue archer (with sneak attacks).

There are also a lot of feats for crossbows, bows and slings: weapon focus, weapon specialization, weapon mastery (ranged), crossbow sniper, master crossbow sniper, rapid reload, rapid shot and at least 15-20 other ranged combat feats. As an example, here is what arcane archer gets.

Playing a ranged combat character actually requires some skill and is not as easy as in some MMORPGs, unless you are fighting really easy monsters. With more difficult monsters you have to move around a lot in combat and sometimes use the terrain to your advantage, unless you are in a group and your fighters manage to catch the monster's attention. Playing a stealthy shadow dancer archer requires switching between attacks and stealth. You get more experience for killing harder monsters than easier ones. Playing AoE spellcaster can be even trickier because you can hurt yourself or other members of your group with some spells if you are caught in the blast.

If you enjoy unpredictability, it exists in the form of live human dungeon masters who randomly organise anything from small random encounters to global storyline events from time to time. Dungeon masters can modify any monster, take posession of them, spawn any monster, item or placeable object in the world and do a lot of other stuff with their dungeon master client. That adds a lot more immersion to the game compared to static MMORPGs.

From your game list I've only played ESO and Neverwinter, hundreds of hours in both. I'd say Baldur's Gate Online holds its ground very well in comparison with those two MMORPGs. It is not an action game like ESO or Neverwinter but it has its benefits. The graphics still look decent even in 2017 and map design in some maps is really nice. The community is not as huge as in Neverwinter or ESO but it feels a lot more like an MMORPG than something like Path of Exile. The problem with Neverwinter and ESO is that you can have only 4-5 players in a dungeon but in Baldur's Gate Online there is no such limitation, meaning you can theoretically have the whole server, 96 players, travelling together wherever they want. It also represents old school Dungeons & Dragons, so it's great for nostalgia. It was also made by Obsidian Entertainment, so might be the closest MMORPG equivalent of old Baldur's Gate or newer Pillars of Eternity games out there. Where Baldur's Gate Online really shines compared to other games is dungeon master features. There have been hundreds of diffferent types of events, crafted adventures and global events over the past years there, adding a lot to the immersion. 
    Post edited by Yanocchi on
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Yanocchi said:
    Stormola said:
    Hi All 

I don't invest money in games other than initial cost and or monthly fee but I don't care if others take advantage of a store etc that helps their character . I enjoy playing the game , could care less how other people acquire their stuff and build their character . That feeling is what has put so many restrictions on games that I dislike . BOP / Level Specific Gear etc . I could care less when twinks would batter me as I tried to get into Blackburrow when playing EQ . They just were a challenge in the game . Same with open world pvp . Some people seem to take it personally . I just look at it as a challenge in the game ( I am never the most skilled or best geared ) and actually enoy the unpredictability of it , makes the world seem more alive and real to me

I recommend trying Baldur's Gate Online for the reasons I highlighted in your original post. Right now the whole cost associated with it is $9, so you get a really good bang for the buck with it. When you also take into account that nothing can be bought for real money and there are no bots, that raises the value even more. The downside is that it is a small scale MORPG with only 96 players per server, but the benefit is that you can have 30-40 players travelling together in the open world. In that way, it is more massive than some MMORPGs where you can have only 4-12 players in a group together in a dungeon or raid.

There are no limitations or item restrictions, nothing is binded, everything can be dropped on the ground, traded to other players or sold at the auction house. Any monster has a tiny chance of dropping some really nice item because of an item generator system. Nowadays there are no item level restrictions, so you can play and get nice items on one character and then put them right away on a new character. You can also respec your character, though that costs experience points the higher level you are (until level 10 it is free).

There is open world pvp, though it is mostly based on role-playing reasons. True kill-on-sight pvp is in situations when an Underdark dweller like a drow or a duergar goes to the surface or vice versa, a human, dwarf or elf ventures into the deep Underdark territory. The Upperdark is a middle zone which separates the surface and the Underdark.

There are many varieties of archers and hunters. Since the game allows anyone to use any weapon as long as you take weapon feats for the weapon, you can make a sniper or hunter out of any class. There are some main classes and prestige classes specifically for that role: ranger, arcane archer, crossbow sniper, divine archer, elemental archer, harper scout, warsling sniper, rogue archer (with sneak attacks).

There are also a lot of feats for crossbows, bows and slings: weapon focus, weapon specialization, weapon mastery (ranged), crossbow sniper, master crossbow sniper, rapid reload, rapid shot and at least 15-20 other ranged combat feats. As an example, here is what arcane archer gets.

If you enjoy unpredictability, it exists in the form of live human dungeon masters who randomly organise anything from small random encounters to global storyline events from time to time. Dungeon masters can modify any monster, take posession of them, spawn any monster, item or placeable object in the world and do a lot of other stuff with their dungeon master client. That adds a lot more immersion to the game compared to static MMORPGs.
    Player run servers?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Kyleran said:
    Yanocchi said:
    Stormola said:
    Hi All 

I recommend trying Baldur's Gate Online for the reasons I highlighted in your original post. Right now the whole cost associated with it is $9, so you get a really good bang for the buck with it. When you also take into account that nothing can be bought for real money and there are no bots, that raises the value even more. The downside is that it is a small scale MORPG with only 96 players per server, but the benefit is that you can have 30-40 players travelling together in the open world. In that way, it is more massive than some MMORPGs where you can have only 4-12 players in a group together in a dungeon or raid.

Player run servers?

They are enthusiasts but it is very surprising how seriously they take that dedication. Considering they've been at it for the past 7-8 years with nice "customer support", regular content update and patches, bug fixing, balancing, quality control team etc., it rivals any commercial MMORPG project. Their process works exactly like it does in commercial MMORPG projects.

It's worthwhile testing it even just out of curiousity how the work of very motivated voluntary enthusiasts working for free compares to the achievements of commercial MMORPG companies.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I think Tera ticks all or most of those boxes, and it looks like you haven't played it yet so might be worth a go (play on a pvp server).
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Dungeon gameplay have been in a decline in MMOs for a long time now. Maybe Pantheon could offer some good when it goes live but right now there is slim pickings.

Sorry, but nothing recent actually comes to mind in this case (but keep your eyes open for Pantheon when it finally releases).
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited June 2017
    Slightly off topic (kinda not) but does anyone use the LFGame subforum anymore?
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    EQ2
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA