Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MOBAs and Other Match Based Games MMOs?

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    edited June 2017
    AAAMEOW said:

All I'm saying is the only reason this argument even start is game company don't want to call their own game a cheap lobby base game which can't even be played by many at the same time so they really like to use the word massively or large scale in their advertisement to draw people to play their game.

and i am saying aside from a few here on a crusade, most gamers don't care whether MMO label is accurate or not. And oh, let's also throw in websites op too. Basically, aside from a few people here who cannot stand it, the world has move on from the genre, and don't care much about what is and what is not called a MMO. The amusing thing is to how the crusade still goes on when people here know how futile it is.
    This is a non topic in the first place.  I don't even know why people give a damn on a very very few games and website mislabeling mmo.

You yourself make it sounds such a big deal when only 1 game is mislabed as mmo here.

Almost no one is even calling those games mmo.  There are like 3 website and a couple of games mislbeling the term mmo and we are making a topic of it.  Only take a few stir up an argument.

And quite honestly those site just use the term mmo because it sounds better than calling yourself multiplayer online games.  
    Gdemami
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    So Matt Firor , thoughts on ESO as an MMO ...

“We don’t even use the term MMO with The Elder Scrolls Online anymore, because really it’s not,” game director Matt Firor says. “MMO was a term coined in 1997 with Ultima Online, EverQuest, and Dark Age of Camelot – we are not that game.” 

Zenimax dedicated their first 12 months after launch to making the game “feel more like The Elder Scrolls.” They wound up with a world more tactile and reactive – where the thing you touch might be an NPC’s purse, and the reaction might be a cold sword through the guts, courtesy of a player enforcer in Zenimax’s justice system.

Gdemami
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Also, it's not a crusade. The only people that consistently get it wrong are media outlets (who admit to getting it wrong), people outside the genre who read those media outlets (who don't care) and trolls like you (who don't care, you just enjoy the banter). 

I also admit that we are unlikely to change anything. Within a small community like this one, we might be able to convince Bill to update the genre labels of the games list, but in the wider world the media doesn't give a shit what we think. 

It is not? People insisting to correct the whole world for years, when the world does not care .. feels like one. May be crusade is the wrong word. Don Quixote-ish fool's errand (since you admit you are unlikely to change anything)?
    AAAMEOW said:

This is a non topic in the first place. 
    A "non" topic that goes on for 143 posts already, and popped up year after year? Sure ... Kind of wonder why you are posting in a non-topic.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Also, it's not a crusade. The only people that consistently get it wrong are media outlets (who admit to getting it wrong), people outside the genre who read those media outlets (who don't care) and trolls like you (who don't care, you just enjoy the banter). 

I also admit that we are unlikely to change anything. Within a small community like this one, we might be able to convince Bill to update the genre labels of the games list, but in the wider world the media doesn't give a shit what we think. 

It is not? People insisting to correct the whole world for years, when the world does not care .. feels like one. May be crusade is the wrong word. Don Quixote-ish fool's errand (since you admit you are unlikely to change anything)?
    Judging by the past few pages of posts, you seem to be on a more intense crusade to convince everyone of your viewpoint than anyone else.

I'm wondering why one might spend so much time attempting to persuade others they're wrong if they feel as if those folks are on a hopelessly futile crusade.
    IselinCecropiacraftseekerGdemami

Judging by the past few pages of posts, you seem to be on a more intense crusade to convince everyone of your viewpoint than anyone else.

I'm wondering why one might spend so much time attempting to persuade others they're wrong if they feel as if those folks are on a hopelessly futile crusade.
    Because it is fun? Oh, btw, don't be silly. No one is convincing anyone. In fact, if i convince everyone to stop .. then where the fun would be?

It is not really about convince anyone, but about their reactions.

BTW, i really don't have a "viewpoint". I am just pointing out inconvenient facts and want to see how people deal with them. 

In fact, you will be a fun example .. so now do you or do you not concede that I am not here to "convince anyone" but just to have some fun, like pointing out the flaw in your reasoning?

AAAMEOW said:

This is a non topic in the first place. 
    A "non" topic that goes on for 143 posts already, and popped up year after year? Sure ... Kind of wonder why you are posting in a non-topic.
    Same as you. Just chit chatting.  This forum is always the same rehashing of the same topic.

You are discussing why people discussing a topic almost no one care beside a few on this forum.  I'm discussing almost no one is even calling them mmo in the first place.  

Why are people even caring a few bozo company labeling mmo because it's easier to market using buzz words.
    AAAMEOW said:

Why are people even caring a few bozo company labeling mmo because it's easier to market using buzz words.
    Dunno .. ask the OP of this topic. Ask those who insist that the companies are wrong, repeatedly.

However, don't you think it is fun to see self-righteous people who couldn't do a thing about how others use some meaningless labels?
  • LogumLogum Member UncommonPosts: 13
    No MOBA are usually not massive.
    And MMO mean massively multiplayer online.
    EldurianNildenGdemami
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    AAAMEOW said:

Dunno .. ask the OP of this topic. Ask those who insist that the companies are wrong, repeatedly.

However, don't you think it is fun to see self-righteous people who couldn't do a thing about how others use some meaningless labels?
    Oh it's not insisting, they are pointing out blatant proven facts.

It also sounds an awful lot like your rock hard trollin in this thread.
    Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

AAAMEOW said:

You making thousands of posts about meanless discussiont too.  So don't question other I suppose.

It's free will, people do whatever they want.

Because it is fun? Oh, btw, don't be silly. No one is convincing anyone. In fact, if i convince everyone to stop .. then where the fun would be?

It is not really about convince anyone, but about their reactions.

BTW, i really don't have a "viewpoint". I am just pointing out inconvenient facts and want to see how people deal with them. 

In fact, you will be a fun example .. so now do you or do you not concede that I am not here to "convince anyone" but just to have some fun, like pointing out the flaw in your reasoning?

Again, for someone without a viewpoint, you seem intent on proving your viewpoint right.

I wasn't commenting on whether or not this should be discussed again.  Just an observation on your attempt to act as if spending inordinate amounts of time attempting to refute something wasn't a crusade just the same as those you're responding to.

Oh, and just because you claim a flaw, doesn't mean there is one.  Your continued responses are ample evidence to the contrary. 
    GdemamiIselin

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    It can be.

If there some kind of progression to those games, and that progression involves the community with some kind of chat system and may be trade.

There are 'mmos' that you only see a handful of people in one area at a given time, lack open world pvp, and are mostly instanced zones or activies. However they have a chat system that brings people together despite all those barriers.

So it can be, but to use the word mmo its suppose to mean something and it implies something else.

The playstyle combat of an MMO (3rd person), the coop mode, the raids, pve, character creation, and crafting. When someone says MMO this is what I think of as the bare minimum. And mobas or those e-sports dont have that. So in my mind no, for the implication of the word, but it can 'fit' with the word. It would just be misleading, and therefore makes no sense to use MMO for those kind of games.
    Gdemami

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    In the same sense that minesweeper is an mmorpg.
    Nilden

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Again, for someone without a viewpoint, you seem intent on proving your viewpoint right.

what is that viewpoint? Don't you think your are contradicting yourself? A person without a viewpoint is trying to prove his viewpoint .. really?

Opinions (e.g. like it is fun to beat a dead horse), as opposed to facts (e.g. game list here classified WoT as an action MMO), has no right or wrong.
    AAAMEOW said:

You making thousands of posts about meanless discussiont too.  So don't question other I suppose.

It's free will, people do whatever they want.
    why not? You just said it is free will. If i want to question something or someone, i will just go ahead.

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Lol you guys Made the mistake of replying to Nariu, dont feed the troll plz
    Lol you guys Made the mistake of replying to Nariu, dont feed the troll plz
    They can't help it. They really really care about if the label MMO is used correctly. 

what is that viewpoint? Don't you think your are contradicting yourself? A person without a viewpoint is trying to prove his viewpoint .. really?

Opinions (e.g. like it is fun to beat a dead horse), as opposed to facts (e.g. game list here classified WoT as an action MMO), has no right or wrong.
    Your attempt at sophistry is showing clearly.

But by all means, continuing enjoying your crusade.  Godspeed!
    CecropiaGdemami

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I generally think of it like this:

So, yes.

(I'm sure there are more sub-genres. this is just an example.)
    KonfessGdemamiEldurianIselin

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited June 2017
    The only opinions that matter, are those of corporations, or those people making money.  The opinion of people spending or consuming a product, doesn't matter.  Those who do matter have defined MMO as being Online, played by Multiple Players (2 or more), with a Massive Amount of Customers (typically Several 1.000's).

If someone were to make a Tic-Tac-Toe game (assuming 2 player), and put it online.  Then they had servers supporting a thousand or more concurrent games.  Then the news, bankers, investors, industry commentators, and everyone that matters (those making money) would be correct in calling Tic-Tac-Toe Online the newest MMO on the block.

A MOBA is a MMO, it may not be a RPG since it is derived from an RTS.  But I can see how some players do see a Role per character (Class) to be played.

To those who have a problem with this site and its name and its coverage.  I think they have stated that they are MMORPG now covering all MMOs.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

So, yes.

LimnicCecropiaIselinSteelhelm

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    edited June 2017
    Nilden said:

So, yes.

LMAO. Nice one.

I don't get it, MOBA's literally have nothing to do with MMOs. Why is this even a "thing".
    LimnicGdemami

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited June 2017
    Konfess said:
    The only opinions that matter, are those of corporations, or those people making money.  The opinion of people spending or consuming a product, doesn't matter.  Those who do matter have defined MMO as being Online, played by Multiple Players (2 or more), with a Massive Amount of Customers (typically Several 1.000's).

If someone were to make a Tic-Tac-Toe game (assuming 2 player), and put it online.  Then they had servers supporting a thousand or more concurrent games.  Then the news, bankers, investors, industry commentators, and everyone that matters (those making money) would be correct in calling Tic-Tac-Toe Online the newest MMO on the block.

A MOBA is a MMO, it may not be a RPG since it is derived from an RTS.  But I can see how some players do see a Role per character (Class) to be played.

To those who have a problem with this site and its name and its coverage.  I think they have stated that they are MMORPG now covering all MMOs.
    Not sure I follow your logic too well.

By these standards you would be saying Battlefield titles are MMOs alongside many lobby shooters and other games that have anything to do with team-roles. If we include that tic-tac-toe commentary then almost any online game could be called an MMO...

Also as far as this site is concerned. Bill and others stated a good while back that they review and make articles about non-MMO titles, and that they are listed alongside/as MMOs because of the categories. So it's more attributable to not wanting to make extra categories for a subset of titles beyond MMOs that get articles/reviews.
    Konfess said:

I disagree because you are assuming some crappy game company is relevant.

If Blizzard or League of Legend wants to come out and define Moba to be Mmo.  Sure I agree.

But you can't be some irrelevant game companies coming out and just make up defenitions.  Which is the case now.  A few game companies which people don't care about.  And a few websites such as superdata which isn't even relevant can't just make up defenition however they want.

There are just not enough companies labeling small size match making games as mmo for it to be called mmo.  And almost all the players don't consider them as mmo too.
    GdemamiEldurian