Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open World PvP and PvE Coexistence

Comments

• ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Eldurian said:
    I think the other mistake often made in this argument is in the assumption there are PvEers and PvPers.

Only a small number of PvEers never want to PvP and practically no PvPers never want to PvE. The issue is capturing as many players that fall somewhere in the middle as possible. Certain people like ZionBane are just a lost cause and fall entirely outside the target audience of any game that allows for Open World PvP.

A great number of your "PvEers" in a PvP game are going to be people who are also PvPers sometimes.
    if not wanting to get ganked by some asshole while I am tying to tame a horse, makes me "fringe" then I am glad I stopped playing MMO's for the moment.
    Cazriel
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    The flagging system has never worked because it has always been manipulated in every PvP MMO i've played.

Designated PvP area's work much better as someone else said in this thread. There is much less manipulation and very simple for people to understand. If you are in this area people can kill you, if you are in this area people cannot.

Or

Just make all of area's PvP but this involves changing the way people think.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    If power levels didn't vary 1000s of times higher than a level 1 I might be okay with FFA PvP, but since most often they do, I stay away from FFA PvP games. These days if I want to PvP I play something like an FPS, and play MMOs for PvE.
    ZionBanePapasmerv
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Rhoklaw said:
    This thread just proves something most PvE players have been saying all along. A flag PvP system allows those interested in PvPing to PvP to their hearts content. So why is it all the hardcore PvP players are the ones complaining about this design? It's simple, if all the PvP players flag up to PvP and none of the PvE players flag up, that means it would just be PvP player versus other PvP players. I've said it many many MANY times before. PvP players hate fighting other PvP players. That is the only reason they hate these types of PvP game designs. They want easy fights. They want to gank PvE players when they are busy questing or harvesting resources. They don't care about fair fights or fighting players that are challenging. If they did, this design wouldn't bother them one bit.
    I think the flag system fails because, if you are a PvP person who wants to do PvE things to support your PvP character, you'd turn off the flag and harvest resources and mobs to your hearts content. Then when you are ready, you put the flag back on. 

Hence, it is abused and doesn't work. I just think that there should be PvP zones and you keep your equipment, perhaps except your stash, and make it only at higher levels.

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    Why do pvpers start these threads lol, seems they want PVE players to help make the pvp world feel alive because contrary to belief pve is more popular in mmo's than pvp. 

Played your pvp games and the PVE players can play there pve games, what's the problem. 
    Contrary to your belief as mentioned above there are quite a few players interested in both PVE and PVP in their MMOs with those only willing to do one to the exclusion of the other likely the real outliers.

my question would be why not play two different games. why does the desire to play both have to be in the same game?
    Very simple answer, when playing MMORPGs I only do one at anytime, pretty much to the exclusion of other games.

So I need both PVE and PVP in the same title.

Added benefit, PVE activities can support and influence PVP success which can in turn improve PVE opportunities.

Didn't you ever play a game like EVE, DAOC or other territory control titles?
    ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Rhoklaw said:
    This thread just proves something most PvE players have been saying all along. A flag PvP system allows those interested in PvPing to PvP to their hearts content. So why is it all the hardcore PvP players are the ones complaining about this design? It's simple, if all the PvP players flag up to PvP and none of the PvE players flag up, that means it would just be PvP player versus other PvP players. I've said it many many MANY times before. PvP players hate fighting other PvP players. That is the only reason they hate these types of PvP game designs. They want easy fights. They want to gank PvE players when they are busy questing or harvesting resources. They don't care about fair fights or fighting players that are challenging. If they did, this design wouldn't bother them one bit.
    I have seen this as common on a regular bias I might even go as far as to say the majority (and as a Darkfall player for 4 years I should know) however I dont think its 100% coverage. 

That said, when I heard pvpers starting to make up reasons I am thinking in the back of my mind 'yup...they just want to hammer on pve'

which for that I got say....too bad so sad. There are now plenty of options in the gaming world where us PvE players can just go play something else...and there is PLENTY to do
    ZionBaneCazriel

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    Why do pvpers start these threads lol, seems they want PVE players to help make the pvp world feel alive because contrary to belief pve is more popular in mmo's than pvp. 

Played your pvp games and the PVE players can play there pve games, what's the problem. 
    Contrary to your belief as mentioned above there are quite a few players interested in both PVE and PVP in their MMOs with those only willing to do one to the exclusion of the other likely the real outliers.

my question would be why not play two different games. why does the desire to play both have to be in the same game?
    Very simple answer, when playing MMORPGs I only do one at anytime, pretty much to the exclusion of other games.

So I need both PVE and PVP in the same title.

Added benefit, PVE activities can support and influence PVP success which can in turn improve PVE opportunities.

Didn't you ever play a game like EVE, DAOC or other territory control titles?
    I played DAOC, But they made it clear, it was not a PvE/PvP MMO, it was a PvP MMO with PvE activities, if you didn't want to get involved with PvP, DAOC made it clear, that it was not the MMO for you.

That's fine, but to be honest, almost all the people I know that enjoyed PvP, wanted it to be on their terms, they didn't want to be at the bank and have someone gank them, or be out harvesting nodes, or building a house, or doing a World Boss, and have some putz snipe them.

In fact, I cant think of anyone that I have ever met in a game, in the past 20 years of MMO's, I can't recall anyone that liked to be attacked while they were engaging in a PvE activity. I knew quite few douche bags that liked to attack other people, which.. pretty much sums up my feels about the Open World PvP banner wavers on this forums. 
    CazrielAnskier
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Rhoklaw said:
    No I'm saying that flag system are an inherently dumb mechanic. Make a safe zone or whatever but to have people skipping along with invulnerability through a battle is just silly.

Flagging is the dumbest mechanic ever invented for an MMO... and there have been quite a few doozies.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• dradrulesdradrules Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Ultima online did this best in my opinion. I had five characters one was for PVP the rest were for PVE. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The zone system does very little to solve the issue, though.

You create "contested zones" and put PVE resource in it, then you're basically gating PVE content behind forced PvP participation.

You create parallel zones, PvP and PvE, with the same resources, and it will be abused just like flagging.  You wanna PvP?  Go to the PvP zone.  Wanna take a break to grind?  Go to the PvE equivalent.
    Steelhelm

You create "contested zones" and put PVE resource in it, then you're basically gating PVE content behind forced PvP participation.

You create parallel zones, PvP and PvE, with the same resources, and it will be abused just like flagging.  You wanna PvP?  Go to the PvP zone.  Wanna take a break to grind?  Go to the PvE equivalent.
    You want PvE... play a PvE game.   You want PvP.. Play a PvP game.   Not all games should be all things to all people.

SavageHorizonGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

You want PvE... play a PvE game.   You want PvP.. Play a PvP game.   Not all games should be all things to all people.

I want a MMORPG with both, so I'll play one with both.

Everyone wins at MMORPG.com
    ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

I want a MMORPG with both, so I'll play one with both.

Everyone wins at MMORPG.com
    Sure you can have both in some games, but today it seems like ALL games think they have to be both.   Most can;t even get one right... how are they going to do both in a satisfying manner?

• dradrulesdradrules Member UncommonPosts: 92

I agree remove felucca and just have guilds war.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Personally I haven't seen any game combine the two right in world PvP. Not even EVE, although I managed to focus on PvE or PvP when I wanted.

LOTRO and GW2 separated PvP from PvE in a designated zone, believe something like that would work best for me. Or maybe the shard hopping like Rift did, I could move from a PvE shard to a PvP shard and back, with the 5 minute pvp-flag cooldown.

I enjoyed my time in Darkfall, UO and Mortal Online. Even engaged in the pointless world PvP in WoW, Rift and Vanguard. These days I just want to hang out with friends and guildies. Not too interested in proving myself in PvP any more. FPS offers a much better strategic experience with balanced gameplay. I might play a game where the world pvp moves from one zone to another zone and flags everyone in that one zone for x amount of time.

Right, but how does that make a zone system any better than a flag system for games that include both?

Right, but how does that make a zone system any better than a flag system for games that include both?
    There is no confusion.  When you are in one place everyone can be attacked... in the other place nobody can.   No flags or timers or silly mechanics.

Still not a system I'd love but better than flags.   I'd much rather systems of progressively more strict guards along the lines of EvE.   You can attack just about anyone anywhere but there are repercussions.

Steelhelm

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

And that is perfectly ok. As I stated the divide between PvPer and PvEer is not as solid as we seem to want to believe. It's not black or white, it's a spectrum, with a lot of grey individuals who like the PvP but also enjoy some PvE and crafting. Me myself falling somewhere within that grey area.

Essentially, there are going to be people willing to go into PvP areas to PvE. There always are.

"Well yes but I want access to every resource in the game with equal rights as people willing to go into high risk areas without running the risk of PvP!"

Why?

You can buy the resources from people who are willing to take those risks.

If you don't participate in PvP what does it matter that someone else can earn gold a bit faster? You aren't competing with them directly anyway.

If you get what you want everyone is given two options.

A. Gather resource X in the "PvE parallel" with zero risk.

B. Gather resource X in the "PvP parallel" with the risk of PvP and robbery.

Only an idiot would choose B. People who want to gather in PvP territory want to be rewarded for the risks they subject themselves to. If there is no reward for additional risk, then what is the point?

My bottom line is I want more people in PvP games who want the option to opt out of constant ganking but are ok with either occasional risk, or in the fact that that people willing to accept more risk them then will get more rewards.

I think the when you remove the people who don't want to be subjected to constant griefing and ganking from the people who are just straight up allergic to PvP being in their game you're actually left with a vocal minority of PvEers. I'm ok with not having those people in the games I play. I just think current PvP titles need to cater to a lighter shade of grey.
    SteelhelmGdemami
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    After all the botting, the win-trading and ganking that serves as PvP in MMOs: keep PvE and PvP totally separated.

I don't believe PvPers understand why PvErs prefer PvE. It's not that they can't PvP. It's not that they don't like PvP. It's that there's a time and place for everything, but not while your doing PvE content.

Blizzard already has a problem when cross-realming and a PvE player is put on a PvP realm.

People roll on PvE realms to PvE. That means they don't want to play PvP on that realm. Instance PvP is okay, but only as a choice (not putting PvE content in PvP zones), but not in the world.
    Cazriel

You're right. so get your PvP out of my PvE games. You want PvP go play an MOBA, and leave the MMO's alone with your hooky PvP nonsense, so we can grind in peace.
    Steelhelm
    Eldurian said:

And that is perfectly ok. As I stated the divide between PvPer and PvEer is not as solid as we seem to want to believe. It's not black or white, it's a spectrum, with a lot of grey individuals who like the PvP but also enjoy some PvE and crafting. Me myself falling somewhere within that grey area.

Essentially, there are going to be people willing to go into PvP areas to PvE. There always are.

"Well yes but I want access to every resource in the game with equal rights as people willing to go into high risk areas without running the risk of PvP!"

Why?

You can buy the resources from people who are willing to take those risks.

If you don't participate in PvP what does it matter that someone else can earn gold a bit faster? You aren't competing with them directly anyway.

If you get what you want everyone is given two options.

A. Gather resource X in the "PvE parallel" with zero risk.

B. Gather resource X in the "PvP parallel" with the risk of PvP and robbery.

Only an idiot would choose B. People who want to gather in PvP territory want to be rewarded for the risks they subject themselves to. If there is no reward for additional risk, then what is the point?

My bottom line is I want more people in PvP games who want the option to opt out of constant ganking but are ok with either occasional risk, or in the fact that that people willing to accept more risk them then will get more rewards.

I think the when you remove the people who don't want to be subjected to constant griefing and ganking from the people who are just straight up allergic to PvP being in their game you're actually left with a vocal minority of PvEers. I'm ok with not having those people in the games I play. I just think current PvP titles need to cater to a lighter shade of grey.
    GW2 put resources in PvP and PvE zones, and they were the same resources, no one lost their mind over this.

Also note, gathering resources in PvE zones are not zero risk, there is always the chance of a mob attacking you. Equally so, PvP is only increased risk if you don't like PvP, if you like PvP then it's a welcome encounter, and a chance to get even more loot and exp.

There is no confusion.  When you are in one place everyone can be attacked... in the other place nobody can.   No flags or timers or silly mechanics.

Still not a system I'd love but better than flags.   I'd much rather systems of progressively more strict guards along the lines of EvE.   You can attack just about anyone anywhere but there are repercussions.

That would be my choice as well; progressively harsher penalties, either by zone or by some other method.  I dunno, I think in this day and age it's much more realistic to use the flagging system than to attempt to create basically two versions of every zone.  Unless you mean instancing the same exact zone?

Vardahoth said:
    FaunNoe said:
    I just remember playing an mmorpg years ago where you could tick off PvP in-game in which case you couldn't be attacked by any player and you couldn't attack another player either. Once you turned PvP on you could attack other players and vice versa but there was a time limit before you could tick it off. You couldn't just Kill a player and then say "Well, I'm done fighting now, so I'm ticking PvP off so no one can kill me." You would have to deal with people being able to attack you for like an hour or so of in-game time. 

What do you think of this? Do you think something like this would work out nicely? 
    The only issue with this I see is the switch can be abused. If someone is running around with it on, and you have the switch off, you can quickly flip it on and catch them off guard (gank them).

On the flip side, if someone who is kos runs in your view, your thinking man he got away, if only I could have just attacked without having to flip a damn switch first.

This also doesn't stop someone from being a douche bag by kill stealing your mobs while they leave the switch off.
    but.. if you made it so that anyone you have attacked/killed, could at any later date, attack/kill you back, no matter what your current flag is, that would resolve your your abuse issue.

Also just having a shared loot system would solve the whole Kill Stealing, GW2 solved this issue pretty easy.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    The best PvP moments of my life happened on PvE servers. This has been the case across multiple MMORPG's. There is something much more enjoyable about stepping into a battle where both groups are prepared for what is to come. Most of those systems where flag based systems or something a long those lines.
    Steelhelm
  • FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Vardahoth said:
    FaunNoe said:
    I just remember playing an mmorpg years ago where you could tick off PvP in-game in which case you couldn't be attacked by any player and you couldn't attack another player either. Once you turned PvP on you could attack other players and vice versa but there was a time limit before you could tick it off. You couldn't just Kill a player and then say "Well, I'm done fighting now, so I'm ticking PvP off so no one can kill me." You would have to deal with people being able to attack you for like an hour or so of in-game time. 

What do you think of this? Do you think something like this would work out nicely? 
    Lineage 2 c4 had the best pvp system imo. I've already explained it's complexity (non-flagged, flagged, pkmode, karma, pkCounts, and expLoss vs Item/Gear loss) and won't do it again. It had a perfect balance to keep griefers in check, and ksers in check.
    Heh, the first mmorpg I ever played was Lineage 2(came in at the end of C1 beginning of C2 and left somewhere in C4) and I must agree that truly was a great pvp system. Damn that game was addicting for me....I miss what it once was.