Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harvard Activist Hired to Form Political Framework - Seed - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageHarvard Political Activist Hired to Form Political Framework - Seed - MMORPG.com

Seed News - Klang has announced that its forthcoming MMO, Seed, will contain a political framework created by Lawrence Lessig, a political activist and Roy L. Furman Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. Seed is scheduled for release in 2018.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I hope he's ready to factor in the gold selling.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Still not quite sure what sort of game this is even after visiting the site.

Small world survival type?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Kyleran said:

With a Harvard Law Professor overseeing the political system?  A communism simulator no doubt.
    PhaedruslivesPhaserlightKyleran[Deleted User]TsiyaforcelimasakeritchmonAeliousDullahan
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

H0urg1ass said:

Kyleran said:

With a Harvard Law Professor overseeing the political system?  A communism simulator no doubt.

He appears to be an anti trump liberal tbh, i am not sure i would be interested in anything he has a hand in, as its likely to be full of propaganda.
    OzmodanTsiyaforcelimaunfilteredJWBellomo[Deleted User]strawhat0981sakerAeliousDullahan
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Phry said:

H0urg1ass said:

Kyleran said:

He appears to be an anti trump liberal tbh, i am not sure i would be interested in anything he has a hand in, as its likely to be full of propaganda.
    I think it should be "ok". They are hired to create a "political framework" not to insert their political beliefs.

KyleranOzmodan[Deleted User]Aelious
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sovrath said:
    Phry said:

H0urg1ass said:

Kyleran said:

I think it should be "ok". They are hired to create a "political framework" not to insert their political beliefs.

Perhaps, but i rather think that its likely to be the whole point of the game. Time will tell, so keep fingers crossed. :/
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Let the High Crimes and Misdaminor's begin. 
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I was gonna do an INB4 red hats start complaining about "liberals" "media" or "propaganda" but too late.

Well... maybe we can get some SJW involvement when the rest of us can figure out what this game is ACTUALLY about. LOL.
    KyleranitchmonRobsolf
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I was gonna do an INB4 red hats start complaining about "liberals" "media" or "propaganda" but too late.

Well... maybe we can get some SJW involvement when the rest of us can figure out what this game is ACTUALLY about. LOL.
    It continues to remain a mystery.

[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    You were too late.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223

Google the guys name and figure out yourself.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    reich-wingers quick to jump in start their whining before anything even shown about the actual game... Such fearful precious unique snowflakes, I can never understand them, they HATE anything they label as "communism" yet absolutely LUV authoritarian "strong-man" fascist despots...

itchmonRobsolf
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Sovrath said:

Phry said:

H0urg1ass said:

Kyleran said:

I think it should be "ok".>

I see watcha did there ;)
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    saker said:
    reich-wingers quick to jump in start their whining before anything even shown about the actual game... Such fearful precious unique snowflakes, I can never understand them, they HATE anything they label as "communism" yet absolutely LUV authoritarian "strong-man" fascist despots...

Ha ho ha, u said reich-winger. As if the reich wasn't completely leftist.

This game is probably gonna be right up your alley.
    Aelious

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    I wish that other Seed game long ago had developed more.
    Interitus
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    saker said:

Grow up and stop changing the subject, this is a forum to discuss games and not your political beliefs.  

As to this game, he was just hired to develop a political system in the game, who cares what his political beliefs are.

Cecropia
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited June 2017
    All of these arguments, and I just have to ask "why does it matter?" Let's assume, for rhetorical purposes, that the guy is a communist and is injecting his personal beliefs into the game with the permission of the developers. So what? Are you implying that the reverse - that is far right beliefs - do not also get injected into video games, books, and other culture? It happens all the time in other mediums, and these works on both sides of the political spectrum often get celebrated for their other merits regardless.

Let the man make his "Communism Simulator 2017." Let the fascist make his as well. It comes down to the storefronts to choose to sell these and the consumer to buy them. But the right to speech and expression is universal. The cautionary tale of Fahrenheit 451 applies if we burn the narrative of either side.

And I say that as a moderately left-leaning person. I'm anti-communism, anti-fascism, anti-SJW, and anti-religious. All of these have a right to speech, and we have a right to judge the merit of that speech for ourselves. This is, unfortunately, a world of deluded extremes, and we're better off accepting that and trying to learn from the faults of these. Hell, some of these broken clocks may even be right about something once in a while.
    Kyleran
    Yet I still have no idea what this game is about.

I know more about Ashes which is wrapping up its KSer today.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Since it looks like a very low budget game,i assume they are simply trying to stir up some publicity for a game that is not worth anyone's time.
    Some people seem to not understand all that is the world we live in.Saying one aspect does not matter towards another,so your ok with Karla Homolka teaching children even though her crimes were not related ?
    I can spell it out,someone's beliefs if considered bad or outright wrong,SHOULD always weigh on people's minds,i would want nothing to do with such people nor support them in any form or fashion.

Person A ..."hey that guy looks like a murderer who was on the news"
    Person B "Yeah i know but i only hired him to cut my grass not to kill people"

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Since it looks like a very low budget game,i assume they are simply trying to stir up some publicity for a game that is not worth anyone's time.
    Some people seem to not understand all that is the world we live in.Saying one aspect does not matter towards another,so your ok with Karla Homolka teaching children even though her crimes were not related ?
    I can spell it out,someone's beliefs if considered bad or outright wrong,SHOULD always weigh on people's minds,i would want nothing to do with such people nor support them in any form or fashion.

I wouldn't be too concerned if she cut my grass, but having children of her own and interacting with other peoples is pretty horrible.

Best to not reach for extreme examples when trying to compare things.  A game perhaps being made by a left leaning ideoligist is hardly in the same league as your example.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think everyone is missing the big point here -- social media is a real-time strategy game.  I wonder how the folks at Paradox feel about that.

But a political 'framework'... could that be something beyond a combat or crafting system?  I'll definitely keep track of this, just for that possibility.  Until it turns into a platform for political pandering, that is.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited June 2017
    Wizardry said:

And this is one of those cases in which a broken clock has a valid point. 

Not everything is to be embraced unconditionally. We do not embrace the serial killer or the Neo-Nazi because they stand for violence against others without cause. They stand for the censorship of others in its most heinous form. They have nothing of value to add, other than to serve as an example of what not to aspire to. 

We still have societal standards and laws that are meant to preserve the foundations of society. We do condemn those that break those standards because they offer nothing to progress. And we do this because humans are dependent upon one another and cannot function in a society that condones murder or other heinous acts.

But let's look at Communism. As a whole entity, it's awful. It has caused more death than almost any other belief system. But, unlike, say... Nazism, which is founded on nothing of value, the values that inspired Communism are worth hearing out and learning from. Most of us can see that Communism does not work and is dangerous to society, but perhaps there is value in improving the standards of living for workers, ensuring living wages, and improving upon capitalism such that it does not also become an oppressive force in its own right.
    Ozmodan
  • JonathanKlangJonathanKlang Member CommonPosts: 1
    Hey, all,

I'm the community guy at Klang Games, the developer behind Seed. We really appreciate your comments and curiosity.

You brought up a very good point about the 2006 Seed, so we published a blog post today about this:
    https://seed-project.io/dev-blog/2017/7/13/is-seed-a-remake-of-the-2006-mmo-seed

If you still have any questions, please comment!

Thanks!
    - Jonathan