Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everything We Know About Stormblood’s Samurai – SPONSORED - Final Fantasy XIV Previews

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageEverything We Know About Stormblood’s Samurai – SPONSORED - Final Fantasy XIV Previews

The Samurai is one of the new jobs coming to Final Fantasy XIV when its Stormblood expansion launches on June 20th. Along with a whole game’s worth of story content, a level cap raise, new dungeons, the new Red Mage job, swimming, new raid, and so much more – the Samurai is eagerly anticipated as one of the most wanted parts of the Stormblood expansion. Today, we’re taking a look at the lore behind the job, its function in a fight, and more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

[Deleted User]

Comments

• PresciencePrescience Member UncommonPosts: 255
    I would like to thank you for marking this as SPONSORED as per the FTC rules.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I read this article twice. Having sponsored in the title made no difference on the information...AT ALL.
    Slivver
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

I read this article twice. Having sponsored in the title made no difference on the information...AT ALL.

Except honesty...I know, I know ..why start now. .
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • PresciencePrescience Member UncommonPosts: 255

It's not so much that the information would have been different but that many people across the internet are not identifying when an article or video is sponsored. We just appreciate that it was stated.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Nyctelios said:

(Let's keep on topic, guys?)

I saw the video of skill changes and rotation of Red mage, man those effects are so pretty. They'll follow the "extra jobs" mechanic, which is cool.

Dark Knight had a tough start, at least I had, to dig in a dungeon and be effective with it as much I was with my Dragoon. I hope they improve the "tutorial quests" those types of classes have.

Yeah DRK was much more resource intensive than many other classes, and had a bit of a learning curve. Currently, it is my favorite tank these days. I am excited for RDM and SAM now though.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    That's quite interesting that you HAVE to do Red Mage's intro before even getting Samurai.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Confused, does it have a DPS role or a tank role?
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Samurai is a DPS job.

Sinaku said:

Samurai is a DPS job.

Thanks!
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Can't wait to play SAM, and Stormblood in general. Got my early access ready to go.

Asch126 said:

That's quite interesting that you HAVE to do Red Mage's intro before even getting Samurai.

I thought about pointing this out, as well, but saw you already beat me to it. lol
    Which would be easier for a slow, uncoordinated old timer to play, Red Mage or Samurai??
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403

Which would be easier for a slow, uncoordinated old timer to play, Red Mage or Samurai??

Everyone in this forum finds FFXIV very slow combat compared to other games so you're encouraged to play the job/class of your liking it should work great in your case. There is a free trial for the game so you can try for yourself before you decide.
    Noxeron
    edited May 2017

DeadSpock said:

Everyone in this forum finds FFXIV very slow combat compared to other games so you're encouraged to play the job/class of your liking it should work great in your case. There is a free trial for the game so you can try for yourself before you decide.

Thanks! I did play a couple of years ago, but just got burnt out on running the same dungeons over and over every day. I thoroughly enjoyed the game world, though. Wondering how things have changed.
  • ShaiapoufShaiapouf Member UncommonPosts: 53

Samurai for sure. Red Mage is all about chaining together spells, going faster and faster as they cast, and jumping in and out of melee range, so it seems like a lot more of a 'hands on' class. Samurai however, is more about staying more akin to the general GCD (IE, 2.5 seconds), but do have a minor speed boost (10%, so they're actually more at like 2.25 before Skill Speed) and their off-GCD's look to be a lot less frantic than a lot of classes.

So for a slower, hard hitting class, Samurai looks like one someone can easily slot into since despite its high GCD, once you get into the higher ends of things, a lot of the classes actually do get rather crazy with the buttons (I'm looking at you Dragoon)

Shaiapouf said:

Samurai for sure. Red Mage is all about chaining together spells, going faster and faster as they cast, and jumping in and out of melee range, so it seems like a lot more of a 'hands on' class. Samurai however, is more about staying more akin to the general GCD (IE, 2.5 seconds), but do have a minor speed boost (10%, so they're actually more at like 2.25 before Skill Speed) and their off-GCD's look to be a lot less frantic than a lot of classes.

So for a slower, hard hitting class, Samurai looks like one someone can easily slot into since despite its high GCD, once you get into the higher ends of things, a lot of the classes actually do get rather crazy with the buttons (I'm looking at you Dragoon)

OK, thanks for the info. I couldn't find a way to recover my old account info, so if I play again, looks like I'll have to start anew. There's no way to "try out" the Samurai job, is there?
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403

DeadSpock said:

Thanks! I did play a couple of years ago, but just got burnt out on running the same dungeons over and over every day. I thoroughly enjoyed the game world, though. Wondering how things have changed.
    Same reason I just quit, I don't feel like paying for another 6 months(I get big discount having legacy account and 6 months only 47$ but add expac is like a 100$) been enjoying Tera for free lately but too fast for your liking and action combat won't work for you.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Looking forward to the character story. The Astrologian introduction was excellent.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited May 2017

Shaiapouf said:

OK, thanks for the info. I couldn't find a way to recover my old account info, so if I play again, looks like I'll have to start anew. There's no way to "try out" the Samurai job, is there?

Nope, as it starts at lvl50 and requires you to at least have finished the 2.0 Main scenario quests.

If you want to level up an easy character and don't mind learning to tank in dungeons (it really isn't too hard if you set your mind to it and pay attention. The combat tutorial questline explains the tank mechanics really well and give you nice lvl15 gear that will last for a while), I would recommend Gladiator -> Paladin.

It's my personal favorite and you will have nearly instant queue times for dungeons and trials, since everyone and their grandmother are playing DPS characters. :)
  • NoxeronNoxeron Member UncommonPosts: 64

Asch126 said:

" you’ll need to have at least played through the FFXIV 2.0 story (as well as the Red Mage)"

Is probably referring to that you also have to do the 2.0 story to get Red Mage, not that you need to play red mage to get samurai.

I hope...
    AberiusunfilteredJW
    Noxeron said:

Asch126 said:

" you’ll need to have at least played through the FFXIV 2.0 story (as well as the Red Mage)"

Is probably referring to that you also have to do the 2.0 story to get Red Mage, not that you need to play red mage to get samurai.

I hope...

That wouldn't make any sense, so must be a typo :)
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    When you try Black Desert Online, you can't go back to these slow ass MMO anymore, i literaly feel sleepy during fights
    [Deleted User]JeroKaneunfilteredJW

Scellow said:

When you try Black Desert Online, you can't go back to these slow ass MMO anymore, i literaly feel sleepy during fights

At least in FFXIV I can play for a low (legacy) fix monthly fee and enjoy the game unrestricted, without artificial paywalls and the constant nag of the cash shop in my face, knowing these games being designed solely around the cash shop.
    SlivverunfilteredJW

Scellow said:

I like old, slow style, because it actually gives you the downtime to communicate with another human being in-game.
    unfilteredJW[Deleted User]JeroKaneConstantineMerus
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    edited May 2017

JeroKane said:

Scellow said:

At least in FFXIV I can play for a low (legacy) fix monthly fee and enjoy the game unrestricted, without artificial paywalls and the constant nag of the cash shop in my face, knowing these games being designed solely around the cash shop.

This is the only argument people find when we talk about this subject, and it is completely off topic, and for your information, both game have a cash shop, one have an additional monthly fee, the other doesn't :)

One have a great PVP, the other is boring and inexistant, and the upcoming changes will change nothing about it

If you are solo co-op player that only care about solo content or co-op (dungeons and raid) and don't mind sleepy combat system, then yes FF14 is for you, even GW2 does better, and has no monthly fee

Do you know why MMOs had monthly fee ? because servers cost was insane back in the days, now it is cheap as fuck, and with a slow global cooldown, your server process far less information per seconds, that means even cheaper server than other MMOs with faster combat

With their combat system update, they missed opportunity to make it faster, FF14 might look interesting for people who already own HW, but for news players it's meh
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Scellow said:

This is the only argument people find when we talk about this subject, and it is completely off topic, and for your information, both game have a cash shop, one have an additional monthly fee, the other doesn't :)

One have a great PVP, the other is boring and inexistant, and the upcoming changes will change nothing about it

If you are solo co-op player that only care about solo content or co-op (dungeons and raid) and don't mind sleepy combat system, then yes FF14 is for you, even GW2 does better, and has no monthly fee

Do you know why MMOs had monthly fee ? because servers cost was insane back in the days, now it is cheap as fuck, and with a slow global cooldown, your server process far less information per seconds, that means even cheaper server than other MMOs with faster combat

With their combat system update, they missed opportunity to make it faster, FF14 might look interesting for people who already own HW, but for news players it's meh

Hello~!

1) There are many play styles and wants that people look for in games. The topic of not wanting an in-game store thrown in your face the moment you log on, or even an option of it glaring at you is completely valid. In fact, there was a large outcry when WoW put theirs in game, especially during an expansion where they spent no money on updates at all. Preference of payment model is a legitimate argument (though on the matter of off-topic, talking about other games in a thread about one specific is derailing and off-topic -- it only facilitates the clashing of opinions and personal preferences of which none are wrong for that person); some people only want P2P or F2P, for example. It also often effects the type of cash shop in game, as will be discussed soon.

There is a severe difference to many between a game that has an in-game cash shop (and more often than not yells at you that it does each time you log in), has a icon for such in game, has an entire in-game market around what is sold in it (able to sell cash shop items for in-game currency to acquire the best equipment or has pet / outfit / etc. advantages in a PvP setting) and has a shortcut key to spend more money... to one that has one hidden away in the corner of a website that most don't even know how to access and doesn't give unique benefits or allow people to sell such. There were little choices in armor / furniture and the like back when I play BDO, as well, besides purchasing expensive sets. Seriously, go to http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ and try to find the cash shop there. It's the smallest button available, stuck in the middle of no where. In fact, there isn't even a button for it. You have to enter account management it and then find it stuck in the middle of nowhere with no special emphasis. In addition, a great deal of what is sold was available in game in some way in the past through in-game holiday events and the like for those that missed the events. There was a huge outcry and dislike when WoW put their cash shop in game, with addons makers threatening to hide it and Blizzard saying they'll make it impossible for such.

2) Different styles of PvP are for different people. For instance, I prefer GW2's PvP over BDO's, aside from the mildly amusing node wars. While I don't exactly understand what "inexistant" means in this context, I'll assume that it means what it sounds like in that it "doesn't exist". While this is factually and literally incorrect, the natural assumption seems to be that "if you don't like it, or if it isn't the focus, then why does it exist"? Furthermore, the assertion that the upcoming changes changing nothing is contradictory. Again not only in fact, but in every literal interpretation. A little knowledge on the subject will deter any thoughts on it not changing. As it stands now, it is plagued by the intricacies of the battle system. The 35+ button rotations, positioning requirements, mini-games, class synergies, cross class skills, unique PvP actions, gear, etc. It is nearly impossible for a person who only wants to play casually to play well. By eliminating the position requirement and reallocating many buttons for quick use, as well as allowing you to pick several unique abilities and traits while having unique attacks and combos, the situation changes drastically. Normally, positional requirements and combos make it easy to win against classes or people that could not pull them off at all. Add to that PvP gear and Ability Ranks which are earned for playing well (as well as new PvP specific hotbars), and the skill gap between not only people, but classes, tactics and map objectives is obvious. So, yes, the change will change. Likely more people will play it. In fact, I'm 100% positive more will end up participating. The main problem after these fixes will be the reward structure, which is less than be desired unless you enjoy collecting glamour. Though I'll hold off on making rhetorical assumptions beyond what -should- be obvious. I'll be going into depth about the combat system later in this writing. Suffice it to say, though, that they're creating an entirely new battle system just for PvP. In fact, they are pretty much adopting GW2's Warrior / Guardian's way of performing combos for melee so that you no longer have 30+ buttons to worry about.

3) I'm having trouble trying to understand what is being said here. The articulation isn't quite clear (though I'm guilty of this alot, especially when I write quite a bit) or there is a severe lack of writer understanding when it comes to the topics at hand. Assuming there are comparisons being made to other game, the assertion seems to be that (when looking at previous posts for context) people who want PvE, story, quests, dungeons, etc. will enjoy games that are PvE focused such as FFXIV. That Black Desert -- I assume is the topic of discussion here, even though this is in itself off-topic to the overall thread -- has inferior PvE to examples mentioned because it is a PvP focused game with the combat you have grown to appreciate and absolutely require to enjoy a game now. This is okay and great for you. If this is the case, then I will simply combine #3 with #5's answer and instead speak of GW2 right now. First, GW2 is mainly about the WvW PvP; that's its bread and butter. The 1-80 story consists (or it did) of a couple 1-2 minute quests, then grinding 9 levels for the next set. Season 2 started to do better with story telling, but in the end it was lackluster (my opinion). As far as Raids and Dungeons go, the latter existed solely as a "zerg to win" followed by the meta of "Stacking" on top of each other for years (though fractals were popular for a time). There was no structure at all (that I could see), and they had to release healing classes to even attempt raids, which were pretty awful initially -- I haven't done any recently. GW2 WvW can be amazing fun, but the PvE structure is, in my opinion of course, quite the opposite. Though I have my own gripes about GW2 since it didn't release personal housing like they sai they would, as well as missing a host of emotes and things such as sitting down in chairs for immersion and RP purposes... and with me being a huge GW fanboy and hating how the story was gutted (and no Elona / Cantha being released to this day). This makes me bias towards the many positives the game no doubt has.

(1/2)
    [Deleted User]
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.