Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online now has over 28K players on STEAM

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Recore was banned =/
    the trolls and haters of MMOs won.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I dunno. If I went to the EVE forum and spammed how much it sucked and how much it was dying and how bad CCP was, mmorpg.com would ban me for it. Wonder why they don't do that to all the trolls in the star citizen forum and this one. Very strange.
    Azaron_Nightblade

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Nyctelios said:
    Sovrath said:
    Soki123 said:
    Recore said:
    A few things.

- The numbers are up for BDO, all this proves is people like to buy cheap games on steam.
    People just bought this how can anyone say its good yet ? 

- This gives Pearl Abyss a new opportunity to increase the cash grab to more Pay to win. 

- Infact it's so cheap I may even buy it, and I hate Asian cash shop games :)

I will always disagree with this. 

People are not buying a game just because its cheap. They buy it if they want to play it. 

I have shit ton games in my steam library only because they were cheap, so you re dead wrong on that. I know a lot of people that do that.
    Actuall Soki, that's probably more a revelation about you than why people buy games. Not to say I didn't take a chance on a game because I saw it was cheap but I can't imagine why anyone would purchase a game "just because" it was cheap.
    That is also a revelation about you, because Steam itself already spoke about the major users doing that and it was covered many times by many outlets and many big youtubers, like TotalBiscuit, for example.
    I'm not sure what your point is. Is steam talking about people buying games "because they are cheap" and because they wouldn't buy them otherwise if they were normal price or is Steam talking about people buying cheap games to donate them?

Because the former seems odd. The latter seems generous.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    edited May 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Soki123 said:
    Recore said:
    A few things.

- The numbers are up for BDO, all this proves is people like to buy cheap games on steam.

- This gives Pearl Abyss a new opportunity to increase the cash grab to more Pay to win. 

People are not buying a game just because its cheap. They buy it if they want to play it. 

I have shit ton games in my steam library only because they were cheap, so you re dead wrong on that. I know a lot of people that do that.
    Actuall Soki, that's probably more a revelation about you than why people buy games. Not to say I didn't take a chance on a game because I saw it was cheap but I can't imagine why anyone would purchase a game "just because" it was cheap.

Simple. A game might tempt me, or look ok,  but I m not going to waste money on it. When or if it is dirt cheap I ll try it. Not always because I ve always wanted to buy it, just because I can justify wasting a few dollars not 40+. No other reason then that is needed. I can easily say I have 40 games I ve barely touched, just knowing they re there, I can play them one day if I so feel the need. If I don t then it s not a lot lost. I m not the only one that does that, as a matter of fact I m sure theres a lot more that do then you think.

MrMelGibson
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2017
    Recore said:
    Sovrath said:
    Soki123 said:
    Recore said:
    A few things.

Exactly, 

You have ZERO intention of ever playing the game but you will buy it just because its cheap. 

That just does not make sense to me at all. 

Actually, I never gave it a thought to buy BDO.  I don't like Asian grinders, they all come with cash shops, and the combat is too easy.... To me it looks like a playground game, not saying that in a bad way it just is.  Yet, I have my finger on the purchase button just to see on the off chance their is a community, and nothing else to play.

This is only because it's cheap as dirt !!! 

Also I have a friend at work that has hundreds of Steam games that he never played.... Why ?.... Who knows.

Soki123
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    This looks like a really great game.. sadly.. from what I understand, it's Open World PvP.. and that's a deal breaker for me. Kudos to those that like that, just not my flavor.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    DMKano said:
    Elidien said:
     The KEY though is retention. Let's see what Steam BDO numbers are on July 1st or so (assuming a free 30 days).
    The game is B2P - so if you spend $5 now - you can play it forever without spending any more money.

The key is how much money Kakao can get players to spend in the cash shop, retention is sort of secondary - as it doesn't benefit Kakao to retain players who don't spend any money.

BDO is really designed about highly motivating players to use the cash shop as the base game has lots of inconveniences built in that can be easily helped by the cash shop.

It's a pretty genius game design - this is why they are selling it so cheap, because the real profits are in the cash shop.

WoW, it's like twice I agree with you in 24 hours !
    MrMelGibson
    Sovrath said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Sovrath said:
    Soki123 said:
    Recore said:
    A few things.

That is also a revelation about you, because Steam itself already spoke about the major users doing that and it was covered many times by many outlets and many big youtubers, like TotalBiscuit, for example.
    I'm not sure what your point is. Is steam talking about people buying games "because they are cheap" and because they wouldn't buy them otherwise if they were normal price or is Steam talking about people buying cheap games to donate them?

Well the first point makes sense, as someone would be less likely to drop 50, for a game they may like, vs paying 5 for the same game. It's far less a risk for them to pay the 5 in case they don't like the game. so the first point is valid.
    MrMelGibson
    Soki123 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Soki123 said:
    Recore said:
    A few things.

Simple. A game might tempt me, or look ok,  but I m not going to waste money on it. When or if it is dirt cheap I ll try it. Not always because I ve always wanted to buy it, just because I can justify wasting a few dollars not 40+. No other reason then that is needed. I can easily say I have 40 games I ve barely touched, just knowing they re there, I can play them one day if I so feel the need. If I don t then it s not a lot lost. I m not the only one that does that, as a matter of fact I m sure theres a lot more that do then you think.

Ok, that's fair and makes sense of course. You said "only because they were cheap" and I thought you were saying that they were games you would never buy as opposed to games that "might tempt you but you didn't want to waste the money just in case".
    Soki123

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    DMKano said:
    Elidien said:
     The KEY though is retention. Let's see what Steam BDO numbers are on July 1st or so (assuming a free 30 days).
    The game is B2P - so if you spend $5 now - you can play it forever without spending any more money.

The key is how much money Kakao can get players to spend in the cash shop, retention is sort of secondary - as it doesn't benefit Kakao to retain players who don't spend any money.

BDO is really designed about highly motivating players to use the cash shop as the base game has lots of inconveniences built in that can be easily helped by the cash shop.

It's a pretty genius game design - this is why they are selling it so cheap, because the real profits are in the cash shop.
    I think it's awful game design and exploitative monetization.

You need 3 pets to autoloot effectively when it's a checkbox option in any other MMO. At 10 bucks each, and that's just for starters...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nyctelios said:
    ZionBane said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Sovrath said:
    Soki123 said:
    Recore said:
    A few things.

Well the first point makes sense, as someone would be less likely to drop 50, for a game they may like, vs paying 5 for the same game. It's far less a risk for them to pay the 5 in case they don't like the game. so the first point is valid.
    Yes. That was the major affliction Steam had before removing Flash and Daily sales altogether. Now they are dealing with 1dollar scams for card meta exploitation and asset flips.

With Flash sales and over 75% off as a "common thing" happening every x or so months people stop buying games and just wait for it to come back.

As I said it was already addressed, but the mentality of it remains, as the mentality of people creating Steam accounts and only playing F2P games - which forced Steam to enforce certain policies like level cap for trade and chat.

It's common to forget about that, because it was immediately followed by CS:GO gambling fiasco and that one was a way larger kaboom-boom. 
    Ummm.. I gotta be honest, I have no idea what you are talking about, but you make it sound like it matters to you.. so.. respect.
    legend1337
  • KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 68
    edited May 2017
    Albatroes said:
    There's worse things on steam to spend 6$ on. Way worse.

There is always worse and when you hit rock bottom you get an email saying that Daikatana 2 is coming out or some such.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2017
    DMKano said:
    Nilden said:
    DMKano said:
    Elidien said:

I think it's awful game design and exploitative monetization.

You need 3 pets to autoloot effectively when it's a checkbox option in any other MMO. At 10 bucks each, and that's just for starters...

It is awful if you are a player who has bad self control and falls into a cycle of impulse spending.

It's pretty genius from a business perspective - which is maximizing profits.

I was obviously talking from a business perspective end - but from a perspective of a player prone to low impulse control and poor spending habits - yep it would suck.

This is why you see posts from players who've spent 1000s of dollars on BDO and are like - why am I doing this?

Is it really exploitative though - as obviously many players don't fall for it and don't use the cash shop, but some who do end up spending more than they really wanted.

it comes down to IMO - if you take alcohol from an addictive personality, they are likely to just substitute it with some other addiction.

Been my experience pretty much everyone I've ever met is "addicted" to something.

Also many addicts don't realize or acknowledge their addiction. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Nyctelios said:
    Recore was banned =/
    Last time I checked mods do that, not users.
    It's users playing victim with the mods that do that. A lot of them come to these threads to provoke, and then repeatedly report people.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Why was Recore banned though?
    I don't think steam and twitch numbers mean anything but it seems over the top to ban someone for posting those.
    And defending a game somewhat too hard?.. In that case some of the indie projects on this site would get their whole communities removed.

Was there an overly harsh post I missed?

In my book Recore is a more friendly person than I am and I usually get a warning at most.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Dakeru said:
    I don't think steam and twitch numbers mean anything but it seems over the top to ban someone for posting those.
    And defending a game somewhat too hard?.. In that case some of the indie projects on this site would get their whole communities removed.

In my book Recore is a more friendly person than I am and I usually get a warning at most.
    Because he was incapable of having a discussion without resorting to insults and using salt memes everytime someone pointed out a simple fact that he didn't like. It's fine to like a game, but when someone's level of fanaticism reaches a point where they view everyone as a "hater", even people who actively play the game and express valid criticisms or simply state facts, then that person has gone too far. I even suggested to him that he take a break from the forums, to which he responded "trolls and haters will be shown no mercy"...
    AllerleirauhDakeru[Deleted User]JeleenaMrMelGibsonKyleran
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Nyctelios said:
    Recore was banned =/
    Don't fool yourself. That Flag link gets used as a weapon all the time on this site. 
    [Deleted User]

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    so, 18k are concidered success while 7 million are concidered a fail :)

gotta love that logic.
    [Deleted User]

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited May 2017
    Thane said:
    so, 18k are concidered success while 7 million are concidered a fail :)

gotta love that logic.
    Never underestimate the power of "spin".

DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Recore was banned =/
    Don't fool yourself. That Flag link gets used as a weapon all the time on this site. 

Umm people do themselves in by violating TOS of this site repeatedly.

When a person gets sent to jail for constantly robbing banks, the banks are not used as a weapon against them.

So the flag link cant be used "as a weapon" if the person didnt do anything wrong.

*rolls eyes*

Only if you take a VERY BROAD view of what "violating" means.
    Kyleran

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Forgrimm said:
    Dakeru said:

Because he was incapable of having a discussion without resorting to insults and using salt memes everytime someone pointed out a simple fact that he didn't like. It's fine to like a game, but when someone's level of fanaticism reaches a point where they view everyone as a "hater", even people who actively play the game and express valid criticisms or simply state facts, then that person has gone too far. I even suggested to him that he take a break from the forums, to which he responded "trolls and haters will be shown no mercy"...
    So Recore responded the same as 90% of the forum posters here when their favoriet game gets attacked ... better ban all of them too.

Well I'm kinda sad he got banned, since he (or she) posted a lot of interesting links all the time  :/
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Jeleena said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Dakeru said:

So Recore responded the same as 90% of the forum posters here when their favoriet game gets attacked ... better ban all of them too.

Well I'm kinda sad he got banned, since he (or she) posted a lot of interesting links all the time  :/
    He responded that way when people weren't even attacking the game, just pointing out simple facts. See this thread http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/464576/black-desert-online-coming-to-xbox-one-and-project-scorpio/p1
    MrMelGibson
    Dakeru said:

I don't believe he got banned for posting steam and twitch numbers.

Most likely he got banned for how he responded to people with opposing viewpoints.
    Forgrimm[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonKyleran

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    rodarin said:
    Steam numbers dont mean much except for steam 'exclusive' titles. If you can log onto it any other way then the numbers dont mean jack.

I bought BDO for the 6 buck, I havent even registered yet.

So did I, except I didn't realize you couldn't use your existing account so I got a refund. Really Steam numbers are only going to reflect new accounts. Anyone who invested a lot of time in BDO isn't going to start over on Steam.
    \Not true.  I'm going to be starting over.  It doesn't bother me, and I like having my games in one place if possible.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran

I self identify as a monkey.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Jeleena said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Dakeru said:

Recore was over the top. Nothing else to say on that topic.
    [Deleted User]AllerleirauhMrMelGibson