Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever thought of quitting games due to not enough time?

Comments

• TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67
    MMOs are just really time-consuming, so I quit those at some points during my life (only for a certain period). It's not a good feeling at all if you look at the genre as some form of escapism; it means that the 'real life' is taking your favourite past-time hostage. I always tried to work my way back to the point where I could safely blow 2-4 hours a day on my game of choice without interrupting sleep and/or quality time with other people. And yes, it's not easy to accomplish, but if you happen to manage all of that on a day-to-day basis, you're livin' the life, yo!
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2017
    You dont need to quit gaming with a busy schedule but you do need to play the "right " games. The older i get and the less time i find myself having the harder i find it to get into MMO's.  i find games that i can play in short bursts with no real commitment such as Hearthstone or say Rising storm vietnam or any shooter for that matter much more enjoyable these days. Long winded time sinks like MMO's & RPG's are tough 
    YashaX
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• HushBlushHushBlush Member UncommonPosts: 37
    heya! I've been playing rpg for 10 years but never thought of quitting :) even if i'm busy at work i still find myself playing, and getting my daily rewards. I'm not that kind of hardcore as I used to play before but I play just to relax myself.. there are a lot of autoplay games nowadays, i've got LONT, FWM, and ragna journey :smiley: 

Let's Play Ragnarok Journey
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I wouldn't quit games, when it comes to MMO's I prefer keeping it to ONE, time is focused instead of poping here and there or do rotation. 
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I pretty much quit gaming over the summer time. I live in Canada with long winters and I use an mmo to waste some of the time away but summer is for outdoors, friends and BBQ.
    Thupli

You stay sassy!

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Sovrath said:

Also, Sorvath, back in 2003 to 2012 I lived probably within an hour of you in Boston Metropolitan area, now I'm in california :)

Cryomatrix
    Awww so you left our mercurial weather patterns and unseasonable death storms for sun and fun?

Well, this is what you are missing! EAT YOUR HEART OUT YOU SUN KISSED HIPPY!

well, I think snow is beautiful, but I don't miss the cold, but i'm in palm springs, CA, so it get like 110 on average for the summer. But I think my problem is I always feel cold more easily and I can tolerate sun better, but that's probably because I'm skin and bones :). Going back to Boston in July to see family, yay :)

Cryomatrix
    Sovrathjeff18fuze
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    No, but then, I don't work 11-13 hours per day for 44 consecutive days.  Unless it's a job with a lot of built-in downtime or not very taxing work, that can't be healthy.
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited May 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Well, this is what you are missing! EAT YOUR HEART OUT YOU SUN KISSED HIPPY!
    Northern California was buried under 4 feet of snow for 2 months straight, which means.. the sun kissed hippies are in southern CA, the Frozen Assed Hippies are Northern CA.
    Sovrath
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You can still play mmos while living a busy real life. But you probably can't play them as much. I log on at night, for example, and play maybe an hour? It relaxes me but I can't really raid anymore or do things that call for me to devote large amounts of time. Still, it's a fun hour.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2017
    Vardahoth said:
    I had a two year span without playing a single game. My reason was when I worked for a company forcing me into 80-120 hours every week on a salary of 40. 
    So you worked for NIKE making sneakers in Bangledash?! poor kid
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Yes, but I don't feel like I am missing out.

Back in Uni I used to play games for about 100/120 hours a week.
    After Uni I got a pretty demanding job with irregular hours but could still manage about 40 hours
    Then I got married and kid one came, about 20 hours left a week
    Then kid two came along 4 weeks ago, 10 hours left a week

My gaming time got less and less but what I got in return was just as fulfilling and fun/valuable. The only problem I got was in the transition phases where I kept buying the same amount of games as before and they started to pile up because i couldn't get through them all anymore. I play less games but those I do play get all my time and investment.

I know times will change and my free time will increase, I still love gaming to death so chances are pretty big I'll spend more time in them again in the future, but right now? I have a fun and balanced life while still being able to invest some time in my hobbies, I really couldn't ask for more. Progress raiding has come and gone, I don't miss it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    lahnmir said:

After Uni I got a pretty demanding job with irregular hours but could still manage about 40 hours

My gaming time got less and less but what I got in return was just as fulfilling and fun/valuable. The only problem I got was in the transition phases where I kept buying the same amount of games as before and they started to pile up because i couldn't get through them all anymore. I play less games but those I do play get all my time and investment.

I know times will change and my free time will increase, I still love gaming to death so chances are pretty big I'll spend more time in them again in the future, but right now? I have a fun and balanced life while still being able to invest some time in my hobbies, I really couldn't ask for more. Progress raiding has come and gone, I don't miss it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sissy, I survived 3 children and 34 years of marriage and still game on.....

;)

ScorchienlahnmirConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    I am from Denmark, It rains at-least 2 times a week. This means I have 2 days per. week for gaming, all day loooong :) 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Gave old BDO account away, now I bought it again on steam (explorer) and gonna go a new route! Just doing all the quest, fishing, hope I can make my own fish boat soon, gonna try some farming (sunflowers) and all really casual cba getting the best gear and high lvl, aint got no time for that!

YashaX

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sissy, I survived 3 children and 34 years of marriage and still game on.....

;)

Well I guess the much greater accomplishment belongs to them for surviving you. 
    Dragnelus
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    The only time I pretty much quit gaming for very long was when I lived in college dorms. I didn't quit due to school so much as I quit because I was constantly hanging out and doing things with my friends. Even then we were still playing console games together in the dorm lobby and we did dabble in some MMOs as a group. We also did a lot of D&D and MTG. But between all that, and watching movies together, and going on hikes and just kind of hanging out there was almost no time I was holed up in my dorm alone playing games with people from across the internet. 
  • ManullManull Member CommonPosts: 1
    Well, as for me if we are not too much keen on games then why not...we still have enough time for the all real life stuff :)
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I will never run of of time for games. even just for an hour :D
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I suspect that the problem may be more a case of "I don't have enough time to play AND still be competitve". 

Most people can find and hour or three in a week to game. If it's just for fun, that's no problem, but if you try to "keep up" with those playing 4+ hours a day, it will get frustrating very quickly.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Kyleran said:
    The good news is yorlu are young so if you have to set games aside for awhile they'll still be here when you return, perhaps better than ever.

I'm at the age where if I wait 5 years for better games I might not be around to enjoy them. :(

One piece of advice, enjoy your children as much as you can when they are young, gaming and even too much work are not great reasons to ignore them.

The time at which they no longer want or need you comes far sooner than you would ever think.

This.

Games are just time sinks, meaning, they are fillers for the more important things in life like work, family, kids and social life.
    If you don't have spare time don't play games, games are there to fill the gap between more important things.

• Jill52Jill52 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I suspect that the problem may be more a case of "I don't have enough time to play AND still be competitve". 

Most people can find and hour or three in a week to game. If it's just for fun, that's no problem, but if you try to "keep up" with those playing 4+ hours a day, it will get frustrating very quickly.
      A casual player can never hope to 'keep up' with the ones who practically live in the game (nor should they). As for 'competing' you can still do that. Almost all games have a max level, and best possible gear. Eventually you can get there and then you are on even ground with everyone else at the game's cap. If new content comes out it may take you longer to get back to cap but you still can. Getting there first means nothing. That doesn't make you the best.

I think the real problem is more about being able to stay with your friends.

You know those games where you can only group with your friends and guildmates within a specific level range? If you fall behind you're on your own until you catch up. That's no fun :(

Even when you can still group with higher level players it's also not much fun trying to catch up. Your friends then offer to help you level. That usually entails being helpless and following at a safe distance as you watch them effortlessly kill things that would 1-shot you. Sure, you're still there with them, but being a burden instead of an asset isn't any fun.

And yes, after being one of those players who used to be able to compete with the best of them, It is quite frustrating when you can no longer do that as soon as you used to be able to. However, it's far worse not being able to fight along side your friends anymore (for whatever reason).

Unless you're an antisocial solo player who is free to take their time without worrying about others, this is a really big problem if you aren't in game that much.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Yeah it would save the getting up an hour earlier to fit some gaming in before work but now I'm doing a 9-5 job I just game whenever I get home to wind down. As I get older I think that the passion I once had is although still there not as strong as it once was so going to the pub instead wouldn't be out of the question. But there is weekends and even when I'm old and walking around with a walking stick I'll always be a gamer.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    It is funny Path of Exile is actually the only game where I have the thought that "I don't have the time for this anymore", where in mmo's I don't have that feeling.
    Path of Exile is a special case I think because:
    - Heavy grind based and..
    - Playing hardcore (I can't go back) with relatively long character progression (in hours) making deaths a huge time zink, combined with..
    - Short leagues and..
    - Every time I come back, the entire game was been through the dough mixer and something different came out the other end. So I basically have to unlearn all I knew and adapt to new mechanics, and that is getting increasingly more difficult with age and also the huge complexity of the game plays a role.

With all those factors in mind, it feels like if I want to enjoy a league (enjoy is for me to be good and play near end game), then I need to invest hours in it like it was a fulltime job in the 3 month period a league last.
  • docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    There have been multiple reasons to quit gaming, time was one of them. Nowadays I found my niche, and I stopped with competitive stuff, respectively allow a game to go one 2, 3, 4x longer than other people would take.
    My main problem nowadays is more the fact that I have played for so many years and so many different things, that I get bored of the "same-old-same-old", while at the same time it can be "soothing", which makes it difficult to actually do something new once something truly (seemingly) different appears. I am too much in old habits and lore to learn a bit more complex things. It ends up being "I like the though of game XYZ", but it just won't happen.

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Yep. Sort of. Sometimes a game seems really interesting but due to RL I just can't get into it. Eventually out of sight out of mind.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.