Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer: " There's something strange about Ashes of Creation. "

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Personally I don't care what the game company does outside of "Kick Starter" is their own business as far as Rewards for backing or referrals go.

There is only like $300,000 USD for Stock Exchange if any whales actually want to come donate so I can get this in my game ID be happy.

IF Ashes of creation fails what would currently take its place lol. Theres nothing good on the market besides maybe Crow Fall & AOC.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited May 2017
    Nanfoodle said:
    I find it funny, when positive information about a game is revealed, that thread dies in a few days or a week at best. Something negative and the thread goes on and on, even when its lost its point. (((eye roll))) 
    Because discussion really requires two (or more) perspectives to engage in a lively debate.  Of course positive threads should exist, they are actually vital to the site's survival but just don't expect to have a lot of discussion created by them.  If you want to theorycraft about an upcoming change I have always found the official forums to be a much better place as those folks are usually experts on the subject and much more engaged in the game mechanics than you find on a general gaming forum like this.

To survive a good thread needs both positive and negative points of view.  Take a look at the old Star Trek episode called The Enemy Within sometime,
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SwordeBeemeLordSwordeBeemeLord Member Posts: 25
    Could it possibly be BEEcause positive threads have little to discuss, because the current state of the game is less substantial than actual ash?
    Kyleran
    So, yes?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    That was a really great article...

Of note for those who did not know:
    In response to PC Gamer's inquiry, Kickstarter told me they've informed Intrepid Studios, which has removed Kickstarter pledges from its referral program. Since then, Intrepid Studios has significantly updated their referral program page to reflect these changes and has removed examples of how much money YouTubers could hope to make. They’ve also specified that the cash that people can earn from the referral program will be paid out quarterly after the game has launched.

I think he also summed it up well:
     There’s potential for something great, but the risks feel greater too. Anyone thinking of supporting Ashes of Creation prior to launch, whether through Kickstarter or any other means, should think carefully before proceeding.
    Yeah, we have to warn the people at risk. This needs to be spread to other forums too.

Yup! We need to let everyone know! Someone is FINALLY making it worth referring people to an MMO. 
    SBFord

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

I thought getting a friend to play with was reward enough.

Ummmmmm, no. No it's not. Coming from someone who referred at least a handful of players to WoW who ended up joining and staying for a NUMBER of years, I must say that my free month was rather anti-climactic in retrospect. 

So if you referred, say, 5 friends to WoW, would you rather have a 5 free months? Or would you rather have $300? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

I would rather play with my 5 friends, than get 300$. I thought I played video games to have fun, not to earn money.

If I wanted to earn money I'd get a job. It pays more and is more fulfilling.
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    CrazKanuk said:

Ummmmmm, no. No it's not. Coming from someone who referred at least a handful of players to WoW who ended up joining and staying for a NUMBER of years, I must say that my free month was rather anti-climactic in retrospect. 

So if you referred, say, 5 friends to WoW, would you rather have a 5 free months? Or would you rather have $300? 
    I'd rather have their forgiveness for making such a recommendation.

Friends don't let friends play WOW.

;)
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I would rather play with my 5 friends, than get 300$. I thought I played video games to have fun, not to earn money.

If I wanted to earn money I'd get a job. It pays more and is more fulfilling.

Cool! That's awesome! Ok, I'll refer your friends for you then. 

Be prepared, should this work, this will be a main stream way to find new players. It's also a way for game companies to compensate people like streamers and youtubers via a results-based method, which they don't have right now. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    I remember when I started referring friends to Star Citizen... those bastards at CIG gave me a bunch of free ships and other stuff that'll I probably sell in game.  I even got a MISC Razer out of the deal... I was planning to buy one this Christmas...  those bastards, they just gave it away!
    CrazKanuk[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • kingperrin1kingperrin1 Member CommonPosts: 3
    At this point i am confused as to why people complain about this company. KS is known for being a gamble. Spend your money knowing that there is a possibility you will lose it with no game to show for it.
    This sounds eerily like how the nerds were sperging about how Star Citizen were gonna change the world!!
    I remember when I started referring friends to Star Citizen... those bastards at CIG gave me a bunch of free ships and other stuff that'll I probably sell in game.  I even got a MISC Razer out of the deal... I was planning to buy one this Christmas...  those bastards, they just gave it away!

Crap! I didn't even know this. All I've got is a lowly Aurora. FML! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    So....

any word from PCGamer or the author?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506
    So....

Nope. This guy seems pretty incompetent. Even if he reconfirmed it with kickstarter, wouldn't he have posted something? Pretty strange. He is gonna wait till after the kickstarter is over to resolve this?
    Slapshot1188
    Nyctelios said:
    Ponzini said:
    So....

Nope. This guy seems pretty incompetent. Even if he reconfirmed it with kickstarter, wouldn't he have posted something? Pretty strange. He is gonna wait till after the kickstarter is over to resolve this?
    Does anyone has his twitter so we can ask directly?
    https://twitter.com/stevenmessner?lang=en

Go for it. I don't have a twitter account. I asked him on reddit for an update just now. Not sure how often he is on there though.
    [Deleted User]
  • PresciencePrescience Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Kickstarter will likely be responding soon guys, stay tuned. 
    edited May 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    UPDATE (not quite)

dafuq?  I thought he already had a statement?

Nyctelios said:
    UPDATE (not quite)

He told me the same thing on Reddit ~3 days ago. :neutral: 
    Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:
    UPDATE (not quite)

dafuq?  I though he already had a statement?

The article nor PCGamer official twitter said anything about the retraction asked by Sharif.
    Not that, I mean the original statement in quotes that would invalidate any request for a retraction.  Could it be that his article really was just click-baity click bait?
    Ponzini said:
    Nyctelios said:
    UPDATE (not quite)

He told me the same thing on Reddit ~3 days ago. :neutral: 
    Kickstarter wasn't available over the weekend. At least, the people that speak with media.
    Kyleran
    Nyctelios said:
    To be fair he answered me on Twitter immediately. So, he is not hiding from the situation.
    There isn't really anything to hide from.
    Who cares about the whole part about referrals during the KS campaign, etc. What about the piece about devaluing my referral bonuses? I believe the reddit quoted in the article came from Steven directly. So is he really saying that if the person I refer, refers 10 people himself, then I get nothing? That doesn't seem to make sense to me AT ALL!!! I know Steven in on here somewhere, but can't find his damn id for some reason. 

Can someone ping him here to clarify this? First off, if that's true then that's bullshit because it's basically penalizing someone for referring people. Secondly, people are paid on a quarterly basis. PAID!!! So are you saying that they will have some sort of account with AOC where their subscription would be withdrawn from? Or are they actively paying with a credit card each month? If they are actively paying for their subscription with a credit card each month (which I'm assuming they are) then they ARE spending money. Whether that money is counter-acted because they make money off the people they referred makes zero fucking difference to me. Just give me my fucking money! 

Honestly, I think Steven needs to clarify this like now because it's a real gaff in my opinion and it's really not how an affiliate program works, and he should know better. Don't penalize your affiliates for referring people to you. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Who cares about the whole part about referrals during the KS campaign, etc. What about the piece about devaluing my referral bonuses? I believe the reddit quoted in the article came from Steven directly. So is he really saying that if the person I refer, refers 10 people himself, then I get nothing? That doesn't seem to make sense to me AT ALL!!! I know Steven in on here somewhere, but can't find his damn id for some reason. 

Can someone ping him here to clarify this? First off, if that's true then that's bullshit because it's basically penalizing someone for referring people. Secondly, people are paid on a quarterly basis. PAID!!! So are you saying that they will have some sort of account with AOC where their subscription would be withdrawn from? Or are they actively paying with a credit card each month? If they are actively paying for their subscription with a credit card each month (which I'm assuming they are) then they ARE spending money. Whether that money is counter-acted because they make money off the people they referred makes zero fucking difference to me. Just give me my fucking money! 

Honestly, I think Steven needs to clarify this like now because it's a real gaff in my opinion and it's really not how an affiliate program works, and he should know better. Don't penalize your affiliates for referring people to you. 
    Steven made a post on page 2 of this thread.