Skill removal in Legends

GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,278
Really, am I the only one worried? I am for merging of skills and what not, but I feel like they went overboard(and then some). They removed...50% active skills(!). And probably as much Passives. Er...I know that there were a lot of bugged, weak, duplicate etc skills, but...what happened to FIXING shit? No, I must be old school...

Fuck everything! mrh
Goromhir

Comments

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi The Crossroads, DeathMember UncommonPosts: 223
    Honestly, all of the changes they have made could have been done in a patch.... This is seriously just a way that they can hope to gain new players, and get old players to spend money again to get the things they lost in the original version. I do find it fun, however I am just not sure I can support a company that is trying so hard to market this as a new game.

IT IS NOT A NEW GAME!!

Grr.
    Goromhir
  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAMember EpicPosts: 7,692
    Gorwe said:
    Really, am I the only one worried? I am for merging of skills and what not, but I feel like they went overboard(and then some). They removed...50% active skills(!). And probably as much Passives. Er...I know that there were a lot of bugged, weak, duplicate etc skills, but...what happened to FIXING shit? No, I must be old school...

Fuck everything! mrh

Since I am a RPGer in mmoRPGS, I don't like the removal of abilities gained during progression. 

Fixing game breaking stuff is ok though.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• k61977k61977 Pendleton, SCMember RarePosts: 782
    While they did remove a good amount of skills 50% is a little bit of an overstatement.  They actually needed to prune the skills down some IMO.  What they did was actually combine some skills and passives together for the most part, but yes they did flat out remove some skills that were basic redundancies of other skills.  They were trying to streamline the game to have a more action feel to it but it doesn't really feel that way to me to be honest.  Pretty much is the same game with UI and menu reworks.  You still have to acquire action points to upgrade and learn skills.  You actually can become pretty OP if you max out all the different weapons which is what they want you to do, they flat out stated that in one of the dev videos about a month ago.  Wish I still had the link to that set of videos as it would explain it a lot better than I can.  There was one in particular that was a live stream in the reworked egypt area that answered a lot of questions about skills in particular.
    JemAs666Gorwe
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 975
    Sounds like they basically did a Marvel Heroes Biggest Update Ever patch, except in a way that forces all the old players to re-buy the game if they want to continue.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 3,669
    I'll have to agree with the skill thing. The varies skills was definitely a huge selling point for me in this game since it reminded me a lot of GW1. Taking that away is kinda eh but I'd only be playing the game casually from now on anyway, never seriously.
  • ThaneThane berlinMember RarePosts: 2,785
    edited June 10
    Tiamat64 said:
    Sounds like they basically did a Marvel Heroes Biggest Update Ever patch, except in a way that forces all the old players to re-buy the game if they want to continue.
    well... the reboot is totaly free tho, old players get all weapons accessable at start so they do not have to rebuy em each for 20k black lion thingies, and there are like 3 branches in each "weapon" (tree) now, plus like 6 or more passives. 

you can chose skills depending on your weapons (or rather active em with those weapons, basically you could chose one from each weapon, but you can't use em all at once), and i think about 6-8 passives (plus alot you actually dont have to chose, those you chose always influence skills or grant you another passiv, in quite the interesting ways. others just add stat boni).

there still seems to be plenty of variety, basically they removed "less used skills" and added a few more fancy ones for each weapon. with the passives, you actually still have quite alot to chose from, no need to worry i'd say, and i am playing since first beta (of the original)
    Post edited by Thane on

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HarikenHariken Brighton, MAMember RarePosts: 1,745
    edited June 10
    Weren't there kind of a lot of duplicate skills too. Some you got early or later. Specially with the passives. This the way new mmo's are going though. Simplify for the masses.
    Post edited by Hariken on
  • ThaneThane berlinMember RarePosts: 2,785
    edited June 10
    Hariken said:
    Weren't there kind of a lot of duplicate skills too. Some you got early or later. Specially with the passives. This the way new mmo's are going though. Simplify for the masses.
    they weren't really doublicated, but there were low lvl and high lvl builders for example. at a certain point, using the inner circle skills just made no sense anymore, no matter how much you liked em, they did less dmg (or heal or whatnot).

don't get me wrong, i loved that circular skill tree. i also liked my inner circle pistol builders and finishers, but as said less effect.
    Post edited by Thane on

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,278
    k61977 said:
    While they did remove a good amount of skills 50% is a little bit of an overstatement.  They actually needed to prune the skills down some IMO.  What they did was actually combine some skills and passives together for the most part, but yes they did flat out remove some skills that were basic redundancies of other skills.  They were trying to streamline the game to have a more action feel to it but it doesn't really feel that way to me to be honest.  Pretty much is the same game with UI and menu reworks.  You still have to acquire action points to upgrade and learn skills.  You actually can become pretty OP if you max out all the different weapons which is what they want you to do, they flat out stated that in one of the dev videos about a month ago.  Wish I still had the link to that set of videos as it would explain it a lot better than I can.  There was one in particular that was a live stream in the reworked egypt area that answered a lot of questions about skills in particular.

Answer me this:

With only THREE skill trees per class, what exactly happened to Manifestations? Turrets? Drones? Anything that was even halfway creative?

This is what I'm on about. They removed interesting(if not performing to par) skills only to combine some and streamline everything for the masses.

My further question has to do with Levels. Why did we exactly need them? With proper optimization of what you were doing, you could have 8-9 into your weapon by the time you hit Savage Coast and, hence, you could be very powerful. Is this still be possible? Or will we be put on a boring, 100000 times seen leveling treadmill?

As I said, this smacks of a needless streamline just because...