Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 - On the Subject of Dedicated PC Servers - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDestiny 2 - On the Subject of Dedicated PC Servers - MMORPG.com

This week’s update from Bungie, following the flurry of information on Destiny 2 we received last week, focuses not only on the gameplay reveal but perhaps more importantly on the idea of dedicated servers. As a matter of utmost import to prospective PC Destiny players, Bungie set out to assuage worries that the Peer to Peer networking used by Destiny 2 will somehow invite hacking and an inferior gameplay experience.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Still cant decide if im going PS4 or PC
    psiic

• Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    not surprising that destiny gave a crap PR statement, they've done that constantly during the debacles from the first destiny

of course it was about the money. guy admits that client will control where their toon is at which means lag abuse will continue and utterly destroy the integrity of crucible and trials

if you don't have dedicated servers, you leave the ability to abuse lag (switches or just use a bad connection intentionally, or just bad upload speeds) in the hands of the players

battlefield 60hz tick rate servers have no issues with this stuff

bungie will ALWAYS say they have some portion of the info running off their servers because they track stats, gear, and other things that protect the integrity of their micro transactions and gear progression

RexKushmanPhixion13

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2017
    The concept of "dedicated servers" is outdated.

Non-dedicated servers simply means that there is a single "large" server farms for XB1, PS4, PC with capacity deployed where it is most needed.

It may make sense to have regional / geographic servers.

Fewer server farms means a company can also deploy more powerful switches etc. The issue of peer-to-peer networking is a different matter.
    Cyrin
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    I want to play this on PC but will probably go with the PS4 version. I think this game will be an utter mess on PC with cheaters everywhere.
    They may say they have systems in place to prevent cheating but if they are using this "hybrid" server with client side character movement and aiming then I wish them luck. Day 1 on PC there will be aim hacks, wall hacks, ect.
    Kilranepsiic
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2017
    Trust the clients with stuff is always one of the biggest mistakes one online game can make on PC. Even MMO's have gone through this mistake (like BDO) and had to overhaul stuff to exhausting verification of the client actions against the server, even the skill timers!

And that within the reality of dedicated servers, the peer-to-peer network is nothing but more vulnerable to this. It's the same thing as Destiny 1. It's all about the money, that's why Ubisoft is also doing this now.

iamspamicus
  • CyrinCyrin Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Almost this exact article on half a dozen sites already. Smells like you got paid to post it. So much for integrity.
    iamspamicus
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Zero interest.  It's a re-skin and I already played Destiny 1.  I can't believe they're actually launching it this way, where they have literally only done QoL updates.
    RexKushmanPhixion13DerpangedRealizer
  • RomeoRomeoRomeoRomeo Member UncommonPosts: 48

not surprising that destiny gave a crap PR statement, they've done that constantly during the debacles from the first destiny

of course it was about the money. guy admits that client will control where their toon is at which means lag abuse will continue and utterly destroy the integrity of crucible and trials

if you don't have dedicated servers, you leave the ability to abuse lag (switches or just use a bad connection intentionally, or just bad upload speeds) in the hands of the players

bungie will ALWAYS say they have some portion of the info running off their servers because they track stats, gear, and other things that protect the integrity of their micro transactions and gear progression

How on Earth is that a crap PR statement?? It's literally a QA and he gave as detailed answers as he could.

No offense, but these Dev companies have years of experience building AAA games, degrees in the field, they literally get paid to build games, and have earned jobs in one of the most competitive industries in the world. They have been building this game for years and feel confident they've found a good solution. You on the other hand are complaining on an mmo website and can't even spell properly.

I know who I'm going to trust in this matter.
    RexKushmaniamspamicusDerpangedGeddon95405
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2017

Cyrin said:

Almost this exact article on half a dozen sites already. Smells like you got paid to post it. So much for integrity.

Are you suggesting that mmorpg.com should have ignored the answers? Edited them? Or not reported this stuff?

mmorpg.com are simply reporting what has been said.

Nice though it would be for mmorpg.com to provide analysis for them to do anything other than cut and paste would require time and expertise of - in this case - networking etc. This would require .... money.

So would you like them to charge a subscription? If they do though most people would - almost certainly - go and use other sites that simply do cut and paste.

That is the reality. If you don't like it go elsewhere - or funnel lots of advertising or donations their way. Alternatively do what other posters do and contribute in those areas you have knowledge - you won't get paid of course but it all helps make the world go around.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    BillMurphyMrMelGibson
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    edited May 2017

Kunai_Vax said:

Still cant decide if im going PS4 or PC

im going ps4. as others have said, its going to be a mess with cheaters.
    best advice is if you're a pve player, then go with whatever. if you're a pvp player, then i suggest console unless you will be one of the many who wants to cheat.
    iamspamicus
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Cyrin said:

I wish. Where's my Ferrari?
    KilraneGeddon95405killmaxskiMrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

I wish. Where's my Ferrari?
    You'll get a popsicle and like it!
    BillMurphyKilraneCecropiapsiicMrMelGibson
  • onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Not to sound rude but to those that don't see the issue with client side movement and shooting/abilities can you explain how this won't be an issue on PC?

No matter the system in place by having these actions done client side it will for a fact make it much easier to cheat.

Adding in any sort of client server authorization check for player actions to combat cheating ends up making the game less responsive than having it server side.

It doesn't matter what kind of "experts" they claim to be client to server interactions will ALWAYS be able to be messed with and increase the likelihood and amount of cheating in a PC game.

There is nothing you can do about it. It's the nature of client to server interaction.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Not to sound rude but to those that don't see the issue with client side movement and shooting/abilities can you explain how this won't be an issue on PC?

No matter the system in place by having these actions done client side it will for a fact make it much easier to cheat.

Adding in any sort of client server authorization check for player actions to combat cheating ends up making the game less responsive than having it server side.

It doesn't matter what kind of "experts" they claim to be client to server interactions will ALWAYS be able to be messed with and increase the likelihood and amount of cheating in a PC game.

There is nothing you can do about it. It's the nature of client to server interaction.
    may be its about looking at those metrics that even if it is client side, there is information from that PoV that makes it either cheating or not cheating. So may be the anti cheat looks at those kind of numbers from the client side point of view, and it will know if it is doing the impossible.

But thats only if it is very obvious. So a person could use a wall hack but only shoot when they have a clear shot, but an obvious shooter might shoot before they would ever know to shoot at a certain direction.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited May 2017

How on Earth is that a crap PR statement?? It's literally a QA and he gave as detailed answers as he could.

No offense, but these Dev companies have years of experience building AAA games, degrees in the field, they literally get paid to build games, and have earned jobs in one of the most competitive industries in the world. They have been building this game for years and feel confident they've found a good solution. You on the other hand are complaining on an mmo website and can't even spell properly.

I know who I'm going to trust in this matter.

Yes, they get paid to build games. They get paid by publishers and they answer to investors/share holders who dont have years of experience building AAA games, degrees in the field, etc. Guess who makes the final decisions - the money people, not the devs.
    barasawaGeddon95405killmaxski
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    We already know this isn't going to go as planned.
    There will be regret, from the devs and the players that shelled over $60 for this game.

Might as well tell Angry Joe to make the intro already with "You F*cked Up!".

Realizerkillmaxski
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited May 2017
    lol, the P2P comeback of 2017!

First it was For Honor telling us that a new and improved P2P system with advanced technology would remove the need for dedicated servers. Then we see the worst connectivity issues ever to plague an AAA multiplayer title in 2017, as Ubisoft simply recycles the Assassin's Creed multiplayer code native to the Anvil engine.

Now we got Destiny 2 assuring us that P2P advanced technology will make things smoother than ever while they recycle the P2P multiplayer code native to the Destiny 1 game engine.

Anyone want to predict the results? If anyone works in software development, gaming or not, you know exactly what is going on here.
    Geddon95405killmaxski
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Peer-to-Peer? Well, I won't pre-order for sure. I'll have to wait until there are quite a few reviews out before I decide to buy or not. (thinking this is now a "no" as none of the peer-to-peer games I have played in the last decade or so were very good unless on a LAN)
  • DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Haha peer to peer in a online shooter.....

With all the hacks and lag abusers the pvp will be a complete joke.

Way to go Bungie /softclap
    Geddon95405
  • Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited May 2017
    In response to: "I know who I'm going to trust in this matter. " ------------------------------------------------
    you clearly haven't checked the bungie forums where there is overwhelming feedback complaining that lag abuse issues are GUARANTEED to continue if they leave player movement in the hands of the clients with peer to peer again.

what do you expect bungie to say in their PR statements? "The cost of dedicated servers is more than the cost of lost sales from sticking with peer to peer again. This is why we are going with peer to peer."

Just making any kind of true statement regarding the money will immediately cost them sales. Some devs have no problem discussing money BECAUSE THEY REALLY CAN'T AFFORD IT. But bungie has tons of money and just chooses to deliver less value for our dollar.

That is the true source of frustration from the destiny pvp playerbase.

p.s. don't take PR statements and interviews at face value buddy. Not great to be so naive.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

Demrocks said:
    Haha peer to peer in a online shooter.....

With all the hacks and lag abusers the pvp will be a complete joke.

Way to go Bungie /softclap
    Yeah Ubisoft also following the same path with their latest game: For Honor.

And indeed one of the complaints on that game is also the netcode, where there was even petitions to change the netcode model of the game away from P2P.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Yeah Ubisoft also following the same path with their latest game: For Honor.

And indeed one of the complaints on that game is also the netcode, where there was even petitions to change the netcode model of the game away from P2P.

For Honors horrific connection issues is why i got a refund for it, great game, bad decision by ubi to try and defend P2P when all know it doesn't work.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.