Netflix, Castlevania and The Witcher

2»

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied -, WAMember UncommonPosts: 2,172
    edited July 28
    yes lets make a serie/film of a video game, that never go wrong
    The Witcher is originally a series of books along the same the same genre of fantasy as the RR Martins Song of Fire and Ice trilogy, which was adapted into the HBO hit Game of Thrones. Notable difference being that The Witcher trilogy draws more from Polish/Scandinavia folklore.

So I'd say The Witcher has about as much claim to be adapted onto the screen with a decent shot of success as any other work that's popular.

I'm not so sure about Castlevania though...
    Post edited by Shoko_Lied on
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,442
    yes lets make a serie/film of a video game, that never go wrong
    I'm not so sure about Castlevania though...
    Castlevania worked for me on a couple levels. The show is classic anime, a little campy, but hits all the right marks in the right ways. The quality of art, style, cinematic direction, character types, emo edginess, grittiness are a few that stood out. On top of that Armitage is the right guy in the role of Belmont.

The way they chopped up the movie into episodes feels stilted and jarring. It feels like Netflix wasn't sure if there were going to commit to a sequel and didn't plan it out as a full serial. They could have done better, but it's still pretty awesome. I just hope they do it right and finish the story properly and don't totally milk it.
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 22,881
    Yeah, I really liked Castlevania.