Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So cheap I am going to try it...

2»

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited May 2017
    This was when I played last night. Black Desert now doing better than ever?

Phry[Deleted User]
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The blind love a lot of people have for this game is very odd to me.

I gave it a good try ( got to level 39 )  and found it lacking in a lot of places. 

1) Poor translations.
    2) Weak story.
    3) Weak quests WITH auto walking (snooze-fest).
    4) The voice acting was god awful.
    5) New player? No tutorials. Need to go to the forums to get a good idea on what you should be doing with it's trading system.
    6) PvP Everywhere at level 50 ( I guess this is a plus for some people ) .
    7) *important one* Jean Luc Pecard stated that a guy who had performance issues in this thread must have a shitty computer. That's a lie. This game is so poorly optimized, I'm not sure how anyone could defend it. Hell, I have an i7-7600 with a GTX 1080 and 16 GBs of 3000mhz ram and I can barely get 50-60 FPS. It also seems to be a known issue on their forums.

Common guys I get fanboi-ism but this is just getting ridiculous. You need to have some standards. 
    You must have something wrong with your PC then, because i have a 9590 and a 980ti with 16 gb of DDR3, not the best kind either, and yet at 1080 i get 60 fps, though i mostly play the game at 1440 now particularly since recently the game has improved enough that i am able to play at that resolution and get close to 60 fps, have to say though, in places like Calpheon it does still drop down quite a bit, cities are still not that good for framerates.

As for the tutorials, thats level 1 - 40'ish, you are inundated with short video sequences explaining things with quests etc.
    The whole 'weak quests' thing, the quests are really there to either be part of the tutorial, and/or get contribution points, if your relying on quests to make BDO more interesting etc. then you totally missed the point of the game.

[Deleted User]
  • Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    edited May 2017
    IMO If you don't have much to do and have the cash to buy it then don't waste your time thinking about the purchase... Just make it. Folks here will tell you how they see the game through their eyes. I feel the only way to know if it's worth your time would be to play it.
    I've played it and I don't have much beef with it other than it's a timesink like every other MMO. Lately, Pearl has been releasing so much new content for BDO it has me wondering what their staff headcount is.
    Everything mentioned in the posts above are barely game breaking.... bad translations? no tutorials? During my time in BDO I ran into a few grammar issues but to call them bad translations is to call the tutorials that pop up on your screen after a new skillset is learned as simply an instruction video on what button to mash to activate the combo you have just unlocked.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

DMKano said:
    Recore said:

/SMH

No more talking to you about this game from me.  

To anybody new trying the game when I first tried it I did not like the game. It took me a few trys before it clicked with me.  :)

Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:

/SMH

Yeah, hard to talk about facts huh?

1. Launch had more players, they said 100K concurrent - direct quote from Daum at the time
    2. Every time a new class is out the population goes way up (until people level to 56 and then leave again), this has happened every time
    3. Steam sale at $5 is bringing in new players

Again - look at the server numbers in a month between class/content releases and it will be WAY down

But yeah - lets not talk about any of this, lol
    Will you get over it already, BDO is steadily increasing players. You said this last time and it didn't happen like you said it would. 

He simply will not give it up.  

At this point it is just sad to see how somebody can just keep hating on a game because its successful. 

ArcheAge really did a number on him.  :(

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:

/SMH

1. Launch had more players, they said 100K concurrent - direct quote from Daum at the time
    2. Every time a new class is out the population goes way up (until people level to 56 and then leave again), this has happened every time

Again - look at the server numbers in a month between class/content releases and it will be WAY down

Will you get over it already, BDO is steadily increasing players. You said this last time and it didn't happen like you said it would. 
    It's a shame I'm too lazy to dig up his quote where he said that the only signs of a growing game is the addition of new servers... and yet... here we are. BDO just added a bunch of new ones, and he's still spouting the same rhetoric and conspiracy theories of them lowering the player cap per server to make it "look" crowded.
    Phry

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:

/SMH

Code: Trion doesnt publish is so it isnt any good....
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:

/SMH

It's a shame I'm too lazy to dig up his quote where he said that the only signs of a growing game is the addition of new servers... and yet... here we are. BDO just added a bunch of new ones, and he's still spouting the same rhetoric and conspiracy theories of them lowering the player cap per server to make it "look" crowded.
    You could almost think it was WoW, must be disappointing for some that BDO is doing so well :)
    Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Aori said:

I gave it a good try ( got to level 39 )  and found it lacking in a lot of places. 

1) Poor translations.
    2) Weak story.
    5) New player? No tutorials. Need to go to the forums to get a good idea on what you should be doing with it's trading system.
    7) *important one* Jean Luc Pecard stated that a guy who had performance issues in this thread must have a shitty computer. That's a lie. This game is so poorly optimized, I'm not sure how anyone could defend it. Hell, I have an i7-7600 with a GTX 1080 and 16 GBs of 3000mhz ram and I can barely get 50-60 FPS. It also seems to be a known issue on their forums.

Common guys I get fanboi-ism but this is just getting ridiculous. You need to have some standards. 
    Translations don't seem that bad to me, the story is also one of the better MMO stories. Quests are quest they're never "strong". I'm not sure what standards you have for voice acting.

The Tutorial gives you the basics as its supposed too, everything else is on the player as it should be. Once a upon a time guides were considered cheating, just saying.

I almost never run into PvP unless I'm in an extremely contested area and I've been playing since release. Not sure how you know PvP is everywhere when you only made it to 39 to begin with.

As for your system struggling to get 50-60 FPS, either turn off high end mode, lower some options. BDO has the best graphics of any MMO so if you're running max don't expect the best FPS.

I think your standards are out of whack. 
    with his computer there is no reason not to get 60 fps other than optimization. BDO graphics are quite nice, but not so nice that that system shouldnt crush it. period.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby

You do realize that I like BDO and play it actively?

What are you going on about?

The game prior to steam launch has been on a clear cycle:

1. New class release - servers crowded

Month passes - servers no longer crowded

Now we have Steam + Striker launch - they added 4 Steam channels - and it's crowded - but after players level up their Striker to 56 majority will put the game on pause til the next class.

Image result for salt

Phry[Deleted User]
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    DMKano said:
    Steam launch has added players - without Steam (at $5) - they were loosing players.

hello?

Every MMO has a declining playerbase post launch - this is NORMAL and it happens to every game

BDO included
    True, but BDO is doing well overall anyway.
    Phry
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Don't forget Black Desert uses the "Xing Code" Anti Cheat / Rootkit, if it didn't have this I would still be playing it today.

But as far as that goes im throwing $500 into Ashes OF Creation.
    Recore said:

You do realize that I like BDO and play it actively?

What are you going on about?

The game prior to steam launch has been on a clear cycle:

1. New class release - servers crowded

Month passes - servers no longer crowded

Now we have Steam + Striker launch - they added 4 Steam channels - and it's crowded - but after players level up their Striker to 56 majority will put the game on pause til the next class.

Image result for salt

I see what you did there, and yes.. i actually thought it was funny :p
    [Deleted User]
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Akulas said:
    but the annoying market spam text constantly flashing in the middle of your screen is really annoying to me.

YES!  But luckily it's easy to turn off.  I actually turned all my system messages off.  It's much more enjoyable now.  

First thing people should do in an MMO, is learn the system settings and turn off/on what they want/need and adjust the UI.  Playing any game withouth customizing it is horrible.  Luckily, BDO has some pretty simple controls for these.
    Mikeha
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

1) Poor translations.
    2) Weak story.

Number 5 isn't totally accurate.  There are basic tutorials for getting started.  There's even an in-game wiki.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2017
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:

At launch it was all overrun - so no it's not doing better than ever.

Also we have no clue what "crowded" means. It could be anything over 600 players for example.

Also the big reason for this is the new class Striker just got released - every time this happens people come back to level to 56 and then stop playing.

Post the same numbers in a month and it will be a half dozen crowded and zero overrun.

Yeah

Also they are selling for $5 on Steam - with steam taking 30% top and other fees they are basically giving it away for free. 

DMKano and I don't ever agree on anything......Almost never. 

BUT he is right on this one, they are almost giving the game away for FREE..... People like FREE.  This has nothing to do with the game, infact he is a fan.  
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

1) Poor translations.
    2) Weak story.

1-5 nobody cares because that is not even remotely what the game is about. Go. Play ESO if that's your thing. 

i play on max settings and have no issues.  Your computer is shit. 
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:

At launch it was all overrun - so no it's not doing better than ever.

Also we have no clue what "crowded" means. It could be anything over 600 players for example.

Also the big reason for this is the new class Striker just got released - every time this happens people come back to level to 56 and then stop playing.

Post the same numbers in a month and it will be a half dozen crowded and zero overrun.

Yeah

Also they are selling for $5 on Steam - with steam taking 30% top and other fees they are basically giving it away for free. 

DMKano and I don't ever agree on anything......Almost never. 

BUT he is right on this one, they are almost giving the game away for FREE..... People like FREE.  This has nothing to do with the game, infact he is a fan.  

Then why is the game doing better than Free To Play games? 

Why is WoW #1 mmo and has a sub fee? 

People play games because they are good not because they are free. 
    [Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

1) Poor translations.
    2) Weak story.

1, they really aren't "that bad". I've never seen one where I just had to quiver in rage and turn the game off

2, personal taste but I like the idea of the initially innocuous but steadily growing malevolent looking being constantly saying that you should trust it, if it wasn't for "it" you would be out of luck yet all the while it does things that make you think otherwise. I can't say it's the best paced but I also don't think Black Desert is "about" story so much as what you can do in the world.

3, Not a quest game, it's a grind game. I question what game you actually think is good because I think you are mostly looking for strong theme park over a theme park sandbox hybrid.

Also, and sadly, most modern games have you going to the glowy bit on the map so adding an autorun isn't really an egregious crime. Couple this with the fact that there is little to no fast travel, you have to actually go everywhere, it makes sense to allow some mechanism that saves your hand. I'm not sure why "following the road" requires you to desire a constant hand on "W"?

4, not all voice acting is "god awful". The starter intro is god awful though.

5, I agree there could be better tutorials (I actually think the first tutorial undermines the game as it gets you out of the starter area very fast without learning anything) but once you actually do go to youtube and learn a thing then you are good as gold.

6, PvP is a heavy focus of the game, it is what it is.

7, I have a good machine the I run the entire game on the highest settings and it runs like butter. I can say that public boss fights are very difficult so I'll not to that.

Still, what you say sounds more like picking and choosing and not that the game is bad but that the game is "bad for you".

There is a difference in being a "fanboi" and providing solid reasons for playing.

Just like there is a difference between a game "not" being for a particular person and being a hater.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    There's still a 7 day trial if you dont want to spend money.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    IMO this game could be a lot better, it's a PvP game but most of the time is spent PvEing; crafting, trading, fishing, and grinding mobs for hours. 

PvP is rare and/or annoying depending on how you do it and whether you play solo or in a group.

Combat is fun, but extremely basic for PvE.

World bosses suck: There is no mechanics to them, and worst of all the best gear players get all the loot; makes perfect sense to me :/

This is a big IMO but this game makes me appreciate fast travel..

Graphics are amazing, and I swear, that's why most people play this game, despite what they tell you.

Crafting is fun. Worker system is annoying though, I much prefer doing all the crafting/gathering myself.

Enchanting is RNG hell.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Ppiper said:
    I just created a witch a few hours ago and the starting area was packed. Just sayin...
    Yeah, the servers are packed as hell right now. :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    JDis25 said:
    IMO this game could be a lot better, it's a PvP game but most of the time is spent PvEing; crafting, trading, fishing, and grinding mobs for hours. 

I wouldn't say it's a "pvp" game but one where pvp is a focus.

But your mileage is going to vary. What exactly is a "pvp game". Because Lineage 2 had you grind mobs, trade, play the market, more grinding mobs for hours and yet people said it was a "pvp game".

I sort of think people have their own definitions for these things and if a game doesn't fit their definitions then it's "not a"/"it is a" X game.

I mean, are there really a LOT of pvp mmo's where one isn't doing PvE content of some kind along with pvp?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo