Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wargaming Backs Off Threats Against Critical YouTuber - World of Tanks - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWargaming Backs Off Threats Against Critical YouTuber - World of Tanks - MMORPG.com

World of Tanks News - World of Tanks "fanfluencer" SirFoch went on a YouTube tirade late last week after it was revealed that a Grand Finals premium tank was sporting an $80 price tag. According to Kotaku, SirFuchs used some mighty colorful language in describing the company as well as flipping the virtual finger. In response, Wargaming threatened to have his video taken down as a violation of copyright.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    AKA "Oh sh#$ we f%#ked up bad! Abort mission."

If the community hadn't lashed out they would have taken the video down, no hesitation.
    SBFord
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Xenon800Xenon800 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Yeah this is pathetic. A company can sit there and slander an individual saying they used hate speech and homophobic slurs and then say oops, we really didn't mean it. #FuckWargaming
    saker
  • LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205
    Oh man, xD Jim Sterling tore into them on Monday. Wargaming as a whole says "We're in the right" and Jim tells them otherwise and provides reasons why, and now they're covering their asses today, when Jim gave them an early warning this was going to happen and a chance to make things right before Monday's Jimquisition went up. I am highly amused. You'd think these companies and indie devs would learn by now..
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited May 2017
    Lusts said:
    Oh man, xD Jim Sterling tore into them on Monday. Wargaming as a whole says "We're in the right" and Jim tells them otherwise and provides reasons why, and now they're covering their asses today, when Jim gave them an early warning this was going to happen and a chance to make things right before Monday's Jimquisition went up. I am highly amused. You'd think these companies and indie devs would learn by now..

His aristocrat sketch should be given an award. Though I'm glad this company isn't tripling down on the issue and decided to apologize and state what they intend to do with the future of their program. It's very much an "abort" or "we f'd up" situation, but admitting the mistake is the first step in repairing community trust.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    "Over the weekend we released a statement to some media outlets regarding the content of SirFoch’s video that inferred that SirFoch’s videos contained hate speech and homophobia. While we would obviously not want such content to be associated with any of our games – this video clearly did not."

Wait, they flat-out lied about this? What did their statement contain that inferred it?
    "Over the weekend we released a statement to some media outlets regarding the content of SirFoch’s video that inferred that SirFoch’s videos contained hate speech and homophobia. While we would obviously not want such content to be associated with any of our games – this video clearly did not."

Wait, they flat-out lied about this? What did their statement contain that inferred it?

Looked it up.  Their direct quote is "If those videos continue to include hate speech and homophobic slurs, we’ll take the necessary and appropriate action."  I wonder if whoever released this just spoke without doing their research, or if they intentionally slandered the guy.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2017
    Apparently tons of videos have been deemed /flagged and are being removed by You Tube.

Something very fishy is going on.

You Tube claims the infraction has always been there,which i agree but the infraction they are using is completely VAGUE with no factual meaning behind it.So that tells me they have left some gray area there in case big money business comes feeding their pockets to force censorship.Also if always been there,why NOW to suddenly start voiding tons of videos?There is a little more to it,YouTube is removing the ability to make money from these,so definitely something fishy is going on.

Instead of stating the actual infractions,they call it "sensitive"material..umm ya ok,so basically ANYTHING and everything can be deemed sensitive.Pretty sure THIS SITE uses the same VERY lame VAGUE ideas and naturally to enforce an agenda "advertiser friendly".

The first amendment protects freedom of speech and trying to go over the LAW/human rights would imo allow fora counter suit.However these businesses like Wargaming just go behind the back of the YouTubers because You Tube will act without just cause,just because someone sends a warning.

EVERYTHING is just so dam vague it is sickening,so they leave it open on copyright infringement.There is a fine line to cross on HOW MUCH of the copyright material you use in your opinion video.I am pretty sure that if you are using material to provide a point/facts,it could NEVER be touched,unless of course you go behind their back and directly to You Tube's offices.

This is why we have monopoly laws,when one entity has such a strong powerful foothold on a certain industry,they can basically make any rules they want.if there was FAIR competition then everyone could just say "screw you" You Tube and go elsewhere.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Stizzled said:

Way to miss the point WG. Even if his video had contained hate speech and homophobic statements, you should not attempt to get rid of it by issuing a copyright take down claim through YouTube. It's not for silencing criticism that you don't like.

WoT fans might care about this guy, but the larger gaming public and YouTube content creators are pissed about your purposeful misuse of YouTube's automated copyright system. Your a better company than that, WG, at least you used to be.

"Your a better company than that, WG"

No, no they're not and never were.
    joemezcal
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Now that is it over can we move on with out the emo?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:

Now that is it over can we move on with out the emo?

Sharing opinions = emo? I don't see anyone crying or raging.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Wizardry said:

Apparently tons of videos have been deemed /flagged and are being removed by You Tube.

Something very fishy is going on.

You Tube claims the infraction has always been there,which i agree but the infraction they are using is completely VAGUE with no factual meaning behind it.So that tells me they have left some gray area there in case big money business comes feeding their pockets to force censorship.Also if always been there,why NOW to suddenly start voiding tons of videos?There is a little more to it,YouTube is removing the ability to make money from these,so definitely something fishy is going on.

Instead of stating the actual infractions,they call it "sensitive"material..umm ya ok,so basically ANYTHING and everything can be deemed sensitive.Pretty sure THIS SITE uses the same VERY lame VAGUE ideas and naturally to enforce an agenda "advertiser friendly".

The first amendment protects freedom of speech and trying to go over the LAW/human rights would imo allow fora counter suit.However these businesses like Wargaming just go behind the back of the YouTubers because You Tube will act without just cause,just because someone sends a warning.

EVERYTHING is just so dam vague it is sickening,so they leave it open on copyright infringement.There is a fine line to cross on HOW MUCH of the copyright material you use in your opinion video.I am pretty sure that if you are using material to provide a point/facts,it could NEVER be touched,unless of course you go behind their back and directly to You Tube's offices.

This is why we have monopoly laws,when one entity has such a strong powerful foothold on a certain industry,they can basically make any rules they want.if there was FAIR competition then everyone could just say "screw you" You Tube and go elsewhere.

Not that I don't HIGHLY disagree with what Wargaming did here but Youtube is a private business and therefore they can infringe on "freedom of speech" as much as they want when it comes to their business. I don't know why people can't understand that issues with freedom of speech only legally applies to government and not private businesses or individuals.
    [Deleted User]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

saker said:

Stizzled said:

Way to miss the point WG. Even if his video had contained hate speech and homophobic statements, you should not attempt to get rid of it by issuing a copyright take down claim through YouTube. It's not for silencing criticism that you don't like.

WoT fans might care about this guy, but the larger gaming public and YouTube content creators are pissed about your purposeful misuse of YouTube's automated copyright system. Your a better company than that, WG, at least you used to be.

"Your a better company than that, WG"

No, no they're not and never were.

Still way better than Gaijin, though that's not saying much.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.