The recent forum upgrade is shit ...

SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 2,005
... sorry, I'm just going to say it ... it really is shit.  And I'm not going to bother listing all the reasons why, because I have better things to do with my time than to point out the obvious fact that you shouldn't fucking break something that's working fine as it is.

If you can't implement similar features from the old forum, that I'm assuming the majority knew and liked,  then you shouldn't dump it, right?
MrMelGibsonCecropiaXodic

Comments

• MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community Manager Queens, NYAdministrator RarePosts: 6,273
    ... sorry, I'm just going to say it ... it really is shit.  And I'm not going to bother listing all the reasons why, because I have better things to do with my time than to point out the obvious fact that you shouldn't fucking break something that's working fine as it is.

If you can't implement similar features from the old forum, that I'm assuming the majority knew and liked,  then you shouldn't dump it, right?
    We had to go to open source due to cost considerations. We've managed to restore most of the functionality, but unfortunately, there are some things that are just not available on Vanilla open source.
    YashaXMrMelGibsonbartoni33laxieKyutaSyuko

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @eMikeB

• KokleekioKokleekio Member CommonPosts: 2
    I'm sorry that my comment is not completely relevant but... how do I create my own post on these forums? I'm so confused.
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 2,005
    Kokleekio said:
    I'm sorry that my comment is not completely relevant but... how do I create my own post on these forums? I'm so confused.
    Use the "New Discussion" button when on the forum where you want to start a thread.
  • ResidevResidev Member UncommonPosts: 27
    edited October 20
    Kokleekio said:
    Use the "New Discussion" button when on the forum where you want to start a thread.
    Sorry to hijack your thread as well, but maybe it helps to prove your point.

I cannot find any "New Discussion" button. But I can use ctrl+f. It's not there.
    Where is it supposed to be positioned? 

EDIT:
    After some looking around, and manually navigating to "http://forums.mmorpg.com/post/discussion" it tells me I do not have a permission to do so.

After looking around forums some more, I'm guessing it's because I don't have the necessary rank or "badges" to do it yet.
    Oh well.
    Post edited by Residev on
  • MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community Manager Queens, NYAdministrator RarePosts: 6,273
    Residev said:
    Kokleekio said:
    Sorry to hijack your thread as well, but maybe it helps to prove your point.

I cannot find any "New Discussion" button. But I can use ctrl+f. It's not there.
    Where is it supposed to be positioned? 

EDIT:
    After some looking around, and manually navigating to "http://forums.mmorpg.com/post/discussion" it tells me I do not have a permission to do so.

After looking around forums some more, I'm guessing it's because I don't have the necessary rank or "badges" to do it yet.
    Oh well.
    Are you still having issues? You should be able to create threads at your current rank.

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager

• ResidevResidev Member UncommonPosts: 27
    MikeB said:
    Residev said:

Are you still having issues? You should be able to create threads at your current rank.
    Thanks for the response. I am now able to create new threads after making some posts and gaining some badges.

However, I still believe that it might be a good idea to make it more obvious to new users.
    To be frank - I came here for a reason to create a thread, and I did almost leave, thinking this is broken.

However, I also gained "Third Anniversary" badge which is supposed to state that I've been around three years as I understand - which is nonsense, as I registered couple of days ago.
  • mrputtsmrputts Beaver, PAMember UncommonPosts: 241
    MikeB said:
    We had to go to open source due to cost considerations. We've managed to restore most of the functionality, but unfortunately, there are some things that are just not available on Vanilla open source. 
    Fire that guy that said loot boxes are a good thing and use his wages to cover it.

Or you guys could put loot boxes into your forums.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,425
    The forums really aren't that bad its got some issues with formatting when writting in the news posts text likes to get all merged together, and then the second issue is with the warning system when you get a moderator warning you can't click the warning and be directed to the notification both could use a bit of tweaking.
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    So I'm having to odd problems with the forums.

Problem one: I cannot start new threads.  That's why this post is here, by the way.  This thread is the closest to the thread I'd wanted to start.

Problem two: for threads in the Polls section, I can no longer view the results of polls.  This last is rather odd as I am sure it worked when I last checked ... like a month or so ago?

Yes I am logged in. :open_mouth:
    dougha1 said:
    So I'm having to odd problems with the forums.

Problem one: I cannot start new threads.  That's why this post is here, by the way.  This thread is the closest to the thread I'd wanted to start.

Problem two: for threads in the Polls section, I can no longer view the results of polls.  This last is rather odd as I am sure it worked when I last checked ... like a month or so ago?

Yes I am logged in. :open_mouth:
    Are you still unable to make threads? You are at the right rank to do so. As for the polls, it might be an old poll from before our move to open source. Do you have a link to the poll thread?

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited November 28
    Well, I found the button to start a new thread.  Have not tried it, but the problem was not seeing said button earlier.  It is most likely that I had overlooked it.

Probably a similar situation for seeing polls.

One poll thread whose results I cannot see http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/461395/poll-do-you-prefer-pvp-pve-both/p1

Really  though, I can't see any of them. Am I the only one?

Post edited by dougha1 on
    dougha1 said:
    Well, I found the button to start a new thread.  Have not tried it, but the problem was not seeing said button earlier.  It is most likely that I had overlooked it.

Probably a similar situation for seeing polls.

One poll thread whose results I cannot see http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/461395/poll-do-you-prefer-pvp-pve-both/p1

Really  though, I can't see any of them. Am I the only one?

It's a broken poll from before we moved to Vanilla open source. The poll plugin for hosted Vanilla forums is different than the open source one, so the old polls are borked. Sorry! We can restart some of these poll threads, though.

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager