Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile - The Exiled Tribune - Twitch Prime, New Manifestos & Legacy Leagues - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imagePath of Exile - The Exiled Tribune - Twitch Prime, New Manifestos & Legacy Leagues - MMORPG.com

Grinding Gear is continuing to provide its community with information about significant changes coming to Path of Exile as the time for The Fall of Oriath expansion beta launch nears. In this week's Exiled Tribune, we take a look at announcements ranging from new manifestos, the extension of Legacy Leagues and a partnership with Twitch Prime for free stuff.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AyinAyin Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited May 2017
    "Big changes" to the Labyrinth mini-game... what a joke.

The problems people have with GGG's little baby pet-project mini-game called the Labyrinth stem from it feeling like an entirely different game - and that this mini-game is required content to attain "Ascendancy Classes" which the rest of the game is being balanced around your having them.

For a majority of the Labyrinth, instead of fighting monsters, you're running through empty halls or waiting for, and then dodging traps. The control scheme (point-click) isn't precise enough control for many to enjoy the precision movements needed to navigate the usually overly-dark corridors. Lag interferes with otherwise perfectly timed movements at times as well. Dying or disconnecting from their servers at any point during the trek forces you to restart the entire mini-game (the rest of the game compensates for these problems by letting you build your character defensively enough to withstand damage during lag, or allowing multiple portals into a zone, so even if you disconnect, you can re-enter that content and complete it).

In addition, the traps in the Labyrinth play by different rules, disregarding 90% of a player's build and gear. It was designed to ignore most of the player's choices in creating their character so you can't "over-level" the content, or trivialize it... yet at the same time, allows certain builds that DO capitalize on the 10% of build/gear choices that matter, to waltz through the Labyrinth with no trouble at all, practically ignoring the traps.

Reasonable people have suggested alternative methods of gaining "Ascendancy Classes" (some even using the Labyrinth content to keep the Lore in tact), or making changes to how the Labyrinth functions, like adding waypoints after each of the 3 boss battles to allow people to return to the content after disconnects (but not deaths).

What did they change?
    First, They had to rework how you enter the Labyrinth due to the removal of the difficulty levels that previously forced players to repeat the story 3 times before entering the endgame maps... so none of those changes were based on feedback, just forcing the 4-difficulty repeat of content into a game that no longer has replays based on changing difficulties. Nothing changed about how many times you have to play the mini-game.

Second, Shortening the Labyrinth is a band-aid that doesn't sufficiently address any of the issues people have with it. (however, those who disconnect between zone changes will have less zone changes for the disconnects to occur during, forcing them to start the whole mini-game over) Simplification of the trap layouts remains to be seen. But if it's just for the first Labyrinth, the issues will persist in the remaining 3 labyrinths.

So yeah, "Big Changes"... still waiting for those...
    (edit: Typo)
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Ayin said:
    "Big changes" to the Labyrinth mini-game... what a joke.

The problems people have with GGG's little baby pet-project mini-game called the Labyrinth stem from it feeling like an entirely different game - and that this mini-game is required content to attain "Ascendancy Classes" which the rest of the game is being balanced around your having them.

For a majority of the Labyrinth, instead of fighting monsters, you're running through empty halls or waiting for, and then dodging traps. The control scheme (point-click) isn't precise enough control for many to enjoy the precision movements needed to navigate the usually overly-dark corridors. Lag interferes with otherwise perfectly timed movements at times as well. Dying or disconnecting from their servers at any point during the trek forces you to restart the entire mini-game (the rest of the game compensates for these problems by letting you build your character defensively enough to withstand damage during lag, or allowing multiple portals into a zone, so even if you disconnect, you can re-enter that content and complete it).

In addition, the traps in the Labyrinth play by different rules, disregarding 90% of a player's build and gear. It was designed to ignore most of the player's choices in creating their character so you can't "over-level" the content, or trivialize it... yet at the same time, allows certain builds that DO capitalize on the 10% of build/gear choices that matter, to waltz through the Labyrinth with no trouble at all, practically ignoring the traps.

Reasonable people have suggested alternative methods of gaining "Ascendancy Classes" (some even using the Labyrinth content to keep the Lore in tact), or making changes to how the Labyrinth functions, like adding waypoints after each of the 3 boss battles to allow people to return to the content after disconnects (but not deaths).

What did they change?
    First, They had to rework how you enter the Labyrinth due to the removal of the difficulty levels that previously forced players to repeat the story 3 times before entering the endgame maps... so none of those changes were based on feedback, just forcing the 4-difficulty repeat of content into a game that no longer has replays based on changing difficulties. Nothing changed about how many times you have to play the mini-game.

Second, Shortening the Labyrinth is a band-aid that doesn't sufficiently address any of the issues people have with it. (however, those who disconnect between zone changes will have less zone changes for the disconnects to occur during, forcing them to start the whole mini-game over) Simplification of the trap layouts remains to be seen. But if it's just for the first Labyrinth, the issues will persist in the remaining 3 labyrinths.

So yeah, "Big Changes"... still waiting for those...
    (edit: Typo)
    Originally I didn't like Lab, I'm still not a big fan of it.. but it sounds like a lot of your problems with it though are your own fault.

There are a lot of builds out there that can completely AFK on top of traps, if your build is too squishy to do lab, then maybe change some things around.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind an alternate method of gaining ascendancies & enchants.. Lab is part of the game I'm not a huge fan of myself.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • AyinAyin Member UncommonPosts: 26

OhhPaigey said:

Originally I didn't like Lab, I'm still not a big fan of it.. but it sounds like a lot of your problems with it though are your own fault.

There are a lot of builds out there that can completely AFK on top of traps, if your build is too squishy to do lab, then maybe change some things around.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind an alternate method of gaining ascendancies & enchants.. Lab is part of the game I'm not a huge fan of myself.

I've successfully navigated the Labyrinth. My personal problems with the Labyrinth are the bad design elements that do not fit Path of Exile's gameplay and control format. It's not a difficulty thing, like a "too hard, make easy pls" whine.

It would make an excellent spin-off game, or just side-content within Path of Exile, that wasn't mandatory for all characters to play through for each character. You can certainly build characters that take advantage of the 10% of build choices (playing by the Labyrinth's rules, not PoE's rules)

It's just poor mandatory content for all builds in PoE to be required to go through.
    OhhPaigey
  • TazdragoTazdrago Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Well it's the 23rd and nothing on Twitch Prime..
  • ysn888ysn888 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited May 2017

Goromhir said:

[mod edit]

Really ? This is not cool man . This game is way better than most . And it's full free to play . [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on