Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - Lighting the Universe - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited May 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageAround the Verse - Lighting the Universe - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Sandi Gardiner and Forrest Stephan are back with the latest episode of the Star Citizen Around the Verse series. In this video, the pair take a look at the Aegis Eclipse and take a look at how lighting is integral to the overall feel of the game and how it improves the visuals. In addition, the Los Angeles studio provides an update on what it has been up to lately.

Read the full story here

Comments

• VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Awesome! Keep it up CIG! Take your time and deliver! First ever 11 out of 10 ;)
    mcrippinsErillionGruug
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2017
    The cut video with only the footage shown on this dev update for those interested:

Updates on multiple fronts of the game's dev, with the main segment being about lightning and fog ongoing implementations.
  • BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Must admit I was / still am slightly skeptical regarding the final product ...... however the efforts involved do look and sound both impressive and thorough. It is no doubt a niche game which will require a very capable machine, but this is life and I think acceptable and realistic if you are a fully fledged hard working adult looking to to achieve a beautiful visual in game experience. Does look incredibly 'Alien' in a good way.

Will there be other Species to confront or examine apart from battling Space Pirates ? ( Sensible Question)

I once had a ZX81 and then a Spectrum 48K with a Quickshot 2 joystick in the 80's just to demonstrate my understanding of pure class hehehe .....
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    sausagemixSplooshii
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Nyctelios said:

Well, if it launches I'll crack settings up to maximum and watch my pc fry with a tear dropping while my character dies in space.

I just don't know why they avoid using radial menu to interaction. Is just a no-brainer in comparison to this weird floating options. I can see it fucking up fast paced gameplay easily while radial menus with fixed position for common interactions would allow for instinctive interaction: Click and drag that motherfucking mouse up to get in the ship before your space suit gets new bullet holes.

Because they're new at this. I saw a video on how they should connect a walkway to the ground for some of the planetary dwellings, they tried different types of ramps before they came up with stairs.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Nyctelios said:

Well, if it launches I'll crack settings up to maximum and watch my pc fry with a tear dropping while my character dies in space.

I just don't know why they avoid using radial menu to interaction. Is just a no-brainer in comparison to this weird floating options. I can see it fucking up fast paced gameplay easily while radial menus with fixed position for common interactions would allow for instinctive interaction: Click and drag that motherfucking mouse up to get in the ship before your space suit gets new bullet holes.

Because they're new at this. I saw a video on how they should connect a walkway to the ground for some of the planetary dwellings, they tried different types of ramps before they came up with stairs.

When we looked at the multi-interface and interaction thing, how it highlights as you look around and aim it's showing what is the direction interaction is taking on the game. I think the floating bits of it are going to be polished to allow iterations in fast-paced actions just based on aim instead of menus.

They do seem to be against menu stuff that does not embed on the game world somehow.
    Nyctelios said:
    Some immersion breaking is a cost one should pay to have said interface to begin with.

My problem is not that is a "floating idea from your character", I find that really cool actually. My problem is only with execution.

Making it radial based wouldn't change the core design.
    The way they make everything else so embed, especially the UI, it would feel displaced, that's just the design direction requiring that consistency.

When there are multiple options it indeed may benefit from a different approach, I think they are being pushing one interaction design where you simply can press every button in your ship, and I think it's driven by aiming. I'm wondering is how they will fight off the bloaty or spammy approach on interacting with stuff as you move your camera.

For those more nitpicky the good thing is being able to keybind all of this stuff.
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Cool i guess... But I'd rather have them work on the universe being in a full playable condition first... Then work on all those special lights ect.... Just to show us the bone of the game works.
    By the looks of it, they are planning to complete every small possible detail before attempting to creat the fully persistent universe they promised, i just think it's strange, shouldn't you first make sure your core gameplay mechanics work and then worry about the lightning?
    But yeah, i don't really understand much about game development, please explain to me, why are they working first on all of those small details?
    Like cool so my ship can carry a small ship, or the walking animation has improved, or the way you shoot your gun, or you have a bed to sleep ect... It's all just... Things you should work on later? After you know the core aspects of the game like traveling between planets in a fully online world works properly....
    Well. Anyway V3 is near? They promised that future on V3? Right? Let's wait.....

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Bukkerz said:

Must admit I was / still am slightly skeptical regarding the final product ...... however the efforts involved do look and sound both impressive and thorough. It is no doubt a niche game which will require a very capable machine, but this is life and I think acceptable and realistic if you are a fully fledged hard working adult looking to to achieve a beautiful visual in game experience. Does look incredibly 'Alien' in a good way.

Will there be other Species to confront or examine apart from battling Space Pirates ? ( Sensible Question)

I once had a ZX81 and then a Spectrum 48K with a Quickshot 2 joystick in the 80's just to demonstrate my understanding of pure class hehehe .....

They have an aggressive alien species called Vanduul as the main adversary. Their leader is played by Andy Serkis (=Gollum) in the motion capturing scenes.

There are more neutral and allied alien races (Banu, Tevarin, Xian).

Have fun
  • Risc1911Risc1911 Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2017
    Why does he say the old system they had is gone and there is now one Sun in the Galaxy that lights all planets? I thought there are 100 solar systems, that would mean 100 suns.

Or maybe he is talking about the fact that they don't have a real simulated Solar system with Sun and orbiting Planets (like E:D) but instead use a global light as a Sun?

He also says that the lighting is driven by the Atmosphere. That does sound weird too and means there is no real Sun, just a Planet level with a sky-dome like in normal shooters.

Has there been any announcement explaining this that i have missed? I was under the impression that this was a seamless and simulated universe with real planets, moons and suns.
    “I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer,
    the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law
  • BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177

Erillion said:

Bukkerz said:

They have an aggressive alien species called Vanduul as the main adversary. Their leader is played by Andy Serkis (=Gollum) in the motion capturing scenes.

There are more neutral and allied alien races (Banu, Tevarin, Xian).

Have fun

Huge fan of Andy Serkis and I can do a mean impression of Gollum myself .... oh yes nothing like a bit of ' ' Nasty Tatoes ' and ' I like it raw and wrigley ' floating down the corridor at work .... much better when you have a trapped audience.

The very fact that they have Mr Serkis at all adds huge kudos to the project. I must admit I haven't really explored too much regarding Star Citizen, but of late it does seem to be shouting a lot louder, alongside its credibility.

I am a fan of 'over' ambition too and firmly believe you have to aim ridiculously high to give yourself room to compromise and settle at a still unrivaled level. With such an endless agenda and passion for realism I think care will have to taken in order to know when enough is enough ...... I really struggle with this myself and it is a constant battle so I am certainly not criticizing them, but ultimately the clever thing would be to launch before a similar project starts taking shape to steal your thunder.

They seem like a very talented bunch behind the game and they do give the impression that they are working on a 'Grail' project and their sense of belief and enthusiasm for it is fantastic to see and infectious ..... makes you want to pat them on the back to keep going.

The fact that there are other species alongside believable physics and aesthetics makes this even more relevant ..... you only need to look at pictures of Mars to see that it 'did' have a history and that even on earth we have the remnants of unexplained technologies. You really do have to wonder ....

Those spheres in Cuba and the granite lined power station next to the Nile boggles the mind hehehe ...

edited May 2017
    Risc1911 said:
    Why does he say the old system they had is gone and there is now one Sun in the Galaxy that lights all planets? I thought there are 100 solar systems, that would mean 100 suns.
    He misspoke. https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/today-s-atv-only-one-sun-for-the-entire-galaxy/183158

I think it's rather obvious, this dev had talked before about the new sun system, how the systems are built, it is one sun per system indeed.

Risc1911 said:
    He also says that the lighting is driven by the Atmosphere. That does sound weird too and means there is no real Sun, just a Planet level with a sky-dome like in normal shooters.d
    What? This simply means the lighting of a planet is driven by its atmosphere, things like light scattering and all of that jazz. O.o
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>> Has there been any announcement explaining this that i have missed?  >>>

Yes.

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/today-s-atv-only-one-sun-for-the-entire-galaxy/183158

Have fun

• Risc1911Risc1911 Member Posts: 78
    Erillion said:
    >>> Has there been any announcement explaining this that i have missed?  >>>

Yes.

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/today-s-atv-only-one-sun-for-the-entire-galaxy/183158

Have fun

"Yeah it's a really bright sun.
    No, I'm kidding. He probably just misspoke, one sun per solar system makes a lot more sense." ~ Ben Parry (Senior Graphics Programmer)

Does not sound like he knows what he is talking about. Let this one sink in: Their Senior Graphics Programmer does not know either.  What kind of amateur shop are they running there?

“I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer,
    the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Risc1911 said:
    one Sun in the Galaxy
    There is only one Sun in the galaxy. The rest of them are stars.
    Risc1911 said:

that lights all planets?
    Without Sun there would be no life on Earth, and without life on Earth there would be no-one creating lighting to Star Citizen. It's only fair that Sun finally gets some well deserved recognition for shining for billions of years so that one day Star Citizen would exists.

Risc1911 said:

He also says that the lighting is driven by the Atmosphere.
    He's very driven by Star Citizen community's positive atmosphere to creating amazing lighting to the game.

Also note that without Sun the Star Citizen community wouldn't exists either. Sun totally deserves recognition for it's vital role in creating lighting to the game.
    Erillion