The Morrowind Adventure Guide - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 26,085

imageThe Morrowind Adventure Guide - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

Elder Scrolls Online News - With the start of the Elder Scrolls Online Morrowind early access program on May 22nd, the team decided that folks might need a bit of direction with regard to adventuring throughout the new locations. The official site has been updated with the Morrowind Adventure Guide to help players get off to a great start with the new content.

Read the full story here


¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


Comments

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,203
    I think I read somewhere that you arrive on the island as a prisoner (like the single player game). If this is true, is it only for new characters or can a high level character enter the island this way?



  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,281

    Sovrath said:

    I think I read somewhere that you arrive on the island as a prisoner (like the single player game). If this is true, is it only for new characters or can a high level character enter the island this way?



    Yeah, I'm interested in this too. I HATE how the vanilla ESO makes you into MB's runaway (bride) thrall. It can seem petty, but I REALLY dislike Undead and such.
  • LonynLonyn FleetMember UncommonPosts: 3
    edited May 19
    If you start a new character you can chose where to start two options, otherwise you previous level 50 characters can start in Vvardenfell as well just like Wrothgar
    Post edited by Lonyn on
    Gorwe
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,203
    Lonyn said:
    If you start a new character you can chose where to start two options, otherwise you previous level 50 characters can start in Vvardenfell as well just like Wrothgar
    I guess the question is whether I start as a prisoner (which is the desired choice) or is the only way for a level 50 to "get on a boat" and just go?
    kabitoshinGorwe



  • IkedaIkeda Largo, FLMember RarePosts: 2,619
    I asked this a few weeks ago. I just 're' started a new thief. I was told I could start Morrowind whenever but it seems like you need to be either lvl 50 OR start from scratch there.
    TorvalGorwe
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,021
    Ikeda said:
    I asked this a few weeks ago. I just 're' started a new thief. I was told I could start Morrowind whenever but it seems like you need to be either lvl 50 OR start from scratch there.
    Thanks. I didn't realize that. Good info.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,203
    Ikeda said:
    I asked this a few weeks ago. I just 're' started a new thief. I was told I could start Morrowind whenever but it seems like you need to be either lvl 50 OR start from scratch there.
    Ok, thanks. I'll assume that the morrowind story starts from either of those points.
    Torval



  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,277
    edited May 19
    Ikeda said:
    I asked this a few weeks ago. I just 're' started a new thief. I was told I could start Morrowind whenever but it seems like you need to be either lvl 50 OR start from scratch there.
    No. Level has nothing to do with it. New characters go to that tutorial automatically if you have the DLC otherwise they start the old tutorial.

    Pre-existing characters of any level get there through a quest invite you get in your home zones.

    They said in ESO live last week that the Morrowind tutorial is actually split in two. And the "there" that existing players get sent to is actually the second half of the tutorial. 

    If you actually want to see what this tutorial looks like they went through the whole thing on that ESO live. You may not want to if you don't want it spoiled for you though:



    Post edited by Iselin on
    TorvalGorwe
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,203
    Iselin said:
    Ikeda said:
    I asked this a few weeks ago. I just 're' started a new thief. I was told I could start Morrowind whenever but it seems like you need to be either lvl 50 OR start from scratch there.
    No. Level has nothing to do with it. New characters go to that tutorial automatically if you have the DLC otherwise they start the old tutorial.

    Pre-existing characters of any level get there through a quest invite you get in your home zones.
    Ok so "no prisoner" if you are a pre-existing character?



  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,277
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Ikeda said:
    I asked this a few weeks ago. I just 're' started a new thief. I was told I could start Morrowind whenever but it seems like you need to be either lvl 50 OR start from scratch there.
    No. Level has nothing to do with it. New characters go to that tutorial automatically if you have the DLC otherwise they start the old tutorial.

    Pre-existing characters of any level get there through a quest invite you get in your home zones.
    Ok so "no prisoner" if you are a pre-existing character?
    Sort of :)
    SovrathTorvalGorwe
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,281

    Iselin said:


    Ikeda said:

    I asked this a few weeks ago. I just 're' started a new thief. I was told I could start Morrowind whenever but it seems like you need to be either lvl 50 OR start from scratch there.


    No. Level has nothing to do with it. New characters go to that tutorial automatically if you have the DLC otherwise they start the old tutorial.

    Pre-existing characters of any level get there through a quest invite you get in your home zones.

    They said in ESO live last week that the Morrowind tutorial is actually split in two. And the "there" that existing players get sent to is actually the second half of the tutorial. 

    If you actually want to see what this tutorial looks like they went through the whole thing on that ESO live. You may not want to if you don't want it spoiled for you though:






    Thank you for that. I found just what I needed. And the gist is this:

    As long as I'm on Vvardenfell / Morrowind, I don't have to worry about being soul pimped. But as soon as I return...bitch please, right?

    Why can't we just CHOOSE not to be soul pimped again? You know, I bet Divayth and co could stand against Molag's forces just fine. And they ARE NOT anything special(truth be told).
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,021
    Gorwe you're absolutely right the player should be able to make those choices, or those events thrust upon them should be done so in a more meaningful fashion.

    The problem is defined closed narrative. You have to be soul-shriven or you won't fit into the narrative because it would break it. Shadow of Mordor explored a crude open narrative, but that doesn't work in Elder Scrolls games and especially not in a story driven mmo.
    IselinGorwe
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,277
    Torval said:
    Gorwe you're absolutely right the player should be able to make those choices, or those events thrust upon them should be done so in a more meaningful fashion.

    The problem is defined closed narrative. You have to be soul-shriven or you won't fit into the narrative because it would break it. Shadow of Mordor explored a crude open narrative, but that doesn't work in Elder Scrolls games and especially not in a story driven mmo.
    Well the thing is that the bulk of the game, 16 zones, are built around that original story. There are 5 zones that have been added since release that are not part of that story but they are also not together in one cohesive story.

    You get the missing constellation story in Craglorn, the Orc story in Wrothgar, the new story in Vvardenfell, etc. Any one of those zones will take you to level 25-30 at most and that only with +XP scrolls.

    Some people are actually annoyed that the ESO stories don't really blend themselves together all that well as continuation of the original main story line. And they never will, especially not so after One Tamriel allowed you to go wherever, whenever.

    A good argument can be made that this new ESO since OT lends itself more to self contained zone stories without a main cross-zone story line. But that wasn't its original design. Originally it was meant as a more traditional WOW-like level-gated zone story progression.

    So we're left with a mishmash of the original design with the new design... it's awkward.
    TorvalAlomar
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne UKMember RarePosts: 3,520
    Just make a new character and play the intro bit.. then pretend your level 50 did it to. It's all just pretend anyway.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • G4NK3DG4NK3D Canyon Country, CAMember UncommonPosts: 93

    Gorwe said:



    Iselin said:




    Ikeda said:


    I asked this a few weeks ago. I just 're' started a new thief. I was told I could start Morrowind whenever but it seems like you need to be either lvl 50 OR start from scratch there.




    No. Level has nothing to do with it. New characters go to that tutorial automatically if you have the DLC otherwise they start the old tutorial.

    Pre-existing characters of any level get there through a quest invite you get in your home zones.

    They said in ESO live last week that the Morrowind tutorial is actually split in two. And the "there" that existing players get sent to is actually the second half of the tutorial. 

    If you actually want to see what this tutorial looks like they went through the whole thing on that ESO live. You may not want to if you don't want it spoiled for you though:









    Thank you for that. I found just what I needed. And the gist is this:



    As long as I'm on Vvardenfell / Morrowind, I don't have to worry about being soul pimped. But as soon as I return...bitch please, right?



    Why can't we just CHOOSE not to be soul pimped again? You know, I bet Divayth and co could stand against Molag's forces just fine. And they ARE NOT anything special(truth be told).



    You kind of can, if you decide you don't want to do the whole "Soul Pimped" storyline with The Prophet just simply don't talk to the hooded figure when the quest comes up for you to do it. Leave that quest sitting in your quest log and you'll never get "Soul Pimped".
    Gorwe
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,021
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Gorwe you're absolutely right the player should be able to make those choices, or those events thrust upon them should be done so in a more meaningful fashion.

    The problem is defined closed narrative. You have to be soul-shriven or you won't fit into the narrative because it would break it. Shadow of Mordor explored a crude open narrative, but that doesn't work in Elder Scrolls games and especially not in a story driven mmo.
    Well the thing is that the bulk of the game, 16 zones, are built around that original story. There are 5 zones that have been added since release that are not part of that story but they are also not together in one cohesive story.

    You get the missing constellation story in Craglorn, the Orc story in Wrothgar, the new story in Vvardenfell, etc. Any one of those zones will take you to level 25-30 at most and that only with +XP scrolls.

    Some people are actually annoyed that the ESO stories don't really blend themselves together all that well as continuation of the original main story line. And they never will, especially not so after One Tamriel allowed you to go wherever, whenever.

    A good argument can be made that this new ESO since OT lends itself more to self contained zone stories without a main cross-zone story line. But that wasn't its original design. Originally it was meant as a more traditional WOW-like level-gated zone story progression.

    So we're left with a mishmash of the original design with the new design... it's awkward.
    Even in the single player games the narrative is tightly defined. You can't get more rep or deeper association with the werewolves in Skyrim unless you become a werewolf. There's only one path and you have to do it that way or it doesn't work. You kill the wrong npc the narrative breaks - no more quests.

    MMOs suffer from this problem even more because the more players stories are disjoint the more difficult it is for them to share content. That can be a big grouping block.

    It's not ZoS's or Bethesda's fault. It's just the nature of tightly defined story driven games. Shadow of Mordor did a great job of breaking open the narrative, but even that was incredibly crude. You could kill any boss, change it all up and it would be different but they were essentially all the same too, just different stats and characteristics. Even though it is crude it's a great advance. AI and compute power need to increase dramatically before we can have more open narratives.

    TL;DR - No one's fault. It's the nature of the beast at this point.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,281
    edited May 20
    G4NK3D said:

    Gorwe said:



    Iselin said:




    Ikeda said:


    I asked this a few weeks ago. I just 're' started a new thief. I was told I could start Morrowind whenever but it seems like you need to be either lvl 50 OR start from scratch there.




    No. Level has nothing to do with it. New characters go to that tutorial automatically if you have the DLC otherwise they start the old tutorial.

    Pre-existing characters of any level get there through a quest invite you get in your home zones.

    They said in ESO live last week that the Morrowind tutorial is actually split in two. And the "there" that existing players get sent to is actually the second half of the tutorial. 

    If you actually want to see what this tutorial looks like they went through the whole thing on that ESO live. You may not want to if you don't want it spoiled for you though:









    Thank you for that. I found just what I needed. And the gist is this:



    As long as I'm on Vvardenfell / Morrowind, I don't have to worry about being soul pimped. But as soon as I return...bitch please, right?



    Why can't we just CHOOSE not to be soul pimped again? You know, I bet Divayth and co could stand against Molag's forces just fine. And they ARE NOT anything special(truth be told).



    You kind of can, if you decide you don't want to do the whole "Soul Pimped" storyline with The Prophet just simply don't talk to the hooded figure when the quest comes up for you to do it. Leave that quest sitting in your quest log and you'll never get "Soul Pimped".
    Ah, like that. I fully expected that the Prophet would force itself onto you. You know what I mean, the automatic dialogue and all. What will I be able to do in the rest of ESO then?
    Post edited by Gorwe on
Sign In or Register to comment.