Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets get real regarding the graphics in Pantheon

123457»

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Brainy said:

The above 2 images is the new art style that pantheon is changing to.

So way way way back in 2017 the OP was complaining about the graphics.  The funny thing is they actually look better back in 2017 then they do now I think.  The devs admit they are changing AGAIN on graphics to help them push out the game faster.

I honestly dont care with either style, I care more about the mechanics of the game.  My only real problem is, if the Dev team is going to completely change the graphics at this point, how many years does that tack on now?  Doesnt that push this game out at least a few more years at the absolute earliest?

I am not a graphics guy but this doesnt sound like it will works well for the customer unless they really didnt have much done in the first place.  Which then leads to WTF is going on all this time.
    This isn't going to make anything happen faster and it most definitely begs the question WTF have they been doing all this time.

That graphics comment did indeed age like milk.

I would be really surprised if we saw this launch in the next 5 years and I probably said the same thing 5 years ago.
    Brainy

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited September 2023
    It is unfortunate, but I feel like VR is just incompetent. They have attempted several builds, that have spent countless hours on to get investors, which are near useless now.

They did get one six figure investment, but I don’t think it was due to any of the builds listed above.

VR is literally a revolving door, people coming, and going. I can’t even keep track. They seem to test things, expecting them to work, but when they don’t, it’s scrapped and redone.

Who’s to say this artwork will be any different. Pantheon seems like a trial, and error project with no direction.
    Kyleran
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Kumapon said:
    It is unfortunate, but I feel like VR is just incompetent. They have attempted several builds, that have spent countless hours on to get investors, which are near useless now.

They did get one six figure investment, but I don’t think it was due to any of the builds listed above.

VR is literally a revolving door, people coming, and going. I can’t even keep track. They seem to test things, expecting them to work, but when they don’t, it’s scrapped and redone.

Who’s to say this artwork will be any different. Pantheon seems like a trial, and error project with no direction.

I think it's a mixture of a lot of things.

Their kickstarter faltered because they thought that just based on who was involved people would throw money at them.

After it failed they made the announcement that they would still develop it. I think they lost a lot of people at that time. They then tried to continue but again had a turnover.

I think it was at that point that they got people who "could" do it but were inexperienced.

Then the bad decisions such as hard coding certain things, too many iterations of certain maps (was privy to a discussion where one of their people wanted to remake a map yet again and Brad said "it's fine, it's done" having multiple skeletons for different npc's.

Given some of their changes I think it's only now that they are getting their sh*t together. If they can keep money coming in they might actually get something out the door. However, too many people are not going to like the result. My thought is that a small group of people will be into it and hopefully that's enough.
    Scot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Sovrath said:
    Kumapon said:

I think it's a mixture of a lot of things.

Their kickstarter faltered because they thought that just based on who was involved people would throw money at them.

After it failed they made the announcement that they would still develop it. I think they lost a lot of people at that time. They then tried to continue but again had a turnover.

I think it was at that point that they got people who "could" do it but were inexperienced.

Then the bad decisions such as hard coding certain things, too many iterations of certain maps (was privy to a discussion where one of their people wanted to remake a map yet again and Brad said "it's fine, it's done" having multiple skeletons for different npc's.

Given some of their changes I think it's only now that they are getting their sh*t together. If they can keep money coming in they might actually get something out the door. However, too many people are not going to like the result. My thought is that a small group of people will be into it and hopefully that's enough.

This reminds me of what I call "crash and burn" management. It starts when the developer says we can do it in 6 months. But they fail, and eventually they crash and burn.

Then comes a new guy who says HE can do it in 6 months.

It would be better to keep the first guy on, he won't claim 6 months anymore, he'd be more realistic and say 2 years. But the new guy claims he can do it in 6 months, so they pick the new guy, and he crashes and burns. Rinse and repeat.
    KyleranSovrath

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,458
    edited September 2023
    What engine are they using again? Even a 'custom' engine has a base its built from. This is mainly more important to me given how poorly optimized and buggy many of these releases have been in the past 5-ish years.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Dattelis said:
    What engine are they using again? Even a 'custom' engine has a base its built from. This is mainly more important to me given how poorly optimized and buggy many of these releases have been in the past 5-ish years.
    Must be James Watt's Steam Engine from the speed this is all going. 
    DattelisKyleranSovrath
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I personally think the realistic "better" graphics they have been struggling to apply to the game. Was not that great. I think their "painted" style looks way better. This is a forever project. What do we care if they change their art style? We would probably not play the game if they didn't change the art style otherwise. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    I personally think the realistic "better" graphics they have been struggling to apply to the game. Was not that great. I think their "painted" style looks way better. This is a forever project. What do we care if they change their art style? We would probably not play the game if they didn't change the art style otherwise. 
    Why wouldn't I play the game if they didn't change their art style?

Unless of course you are alluding to the game not getting done?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Devs own words. They changed the art style because the current style was not tenable to a relasic launch. I don't care what art style they use. Also, I have no clue if this game will launch. I can only hope they do before I am too old to play it. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Devs own words. They changed the art style because the current style was not tenable to a relasic launch. I don't care what art style they use. Also, I have no clue if this game will launch. I can only hope they do before I am too old to play it. 
    You know when you think about the time scale of all these crowdfunded MMOs and the ones like SC where you pay before you play, you do have to wonder how many fans have croaked it along the way!
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    When they are over eight years into development and the producers letter that just got sent out looks like this:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/_2023/august/

• Added new Gadai camp models
    • Added new crafting station models
    • Added Snake and Cobra models
    • Added new dead Elkhorn trees and stumps
    • Added new bat
    • Added new leather armor
    • Added new chain armor
    • Added new standard plate armor
    • Added new basic robe
    • Implemented more Combat animations
    • Implemented new stealth animations
    • Implemented new player locomotion animations
    • Implemented griffin animations
    • Added more harvestable plants: Flame Lily and Cat Tails.
    • Concept art for the Fire beetle completed
    • Concept art for the Skeleton completed
    • Concept art for the Hornet completed
    • Concept art for the Bear completed
    • Concept art for the Boar completed
    • Concept art for the Fox completed
    • Tower chamber modeled
    • Added new terrain ground textures
    • Added new terrain grass
    • Added new bushes
    • Added new undead ruins models
    • Added loot crate models
    • Completed new cave kit
    • Improved corpse loot
    • Improved quest/objective system
    • Began work on music and sound effects
    • Added footstep detection of surface type
    • Availia conversion to new art nearly complete. All buildings are now complete
    • New quests and objectives designed and data entry started
    Incredulous-disbelief GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

This is from 7 years ago...

Now we get fire beetle concept art completed.

Are You Serious GIFs  Tenor

Forget the finish line they have no idea what direction to even move in.

Run No Sense Of Direction GIF - Run No Sense Of Direction Track And Field -  Discover  Share GIFs

That might as well be leaked footage of the Pantheon dev team. Actually it would be more accurate if it was a glacier or maybe some snails or sloths. 

The real story here should be how little they have managed to accomplish in such a long time. 

Really going places!

Tire Spinning Smoking Ice Hill animated gif

Kyleranstrawhat0981ScotKumaponBrainyTerazon

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I see. Well "true" but I'm much less interested in playing it now. Since I"m a backer I might as well give it a try "if" it launches.

But I can rarely ever engage in games that are cutesy.

The whole World of Warcraft thing comes to mid, at least as far as art design.

I've tried World of Warcraft several times but have never been able to get a character above 30 or so because the art design just wears on me.

Still, there are a LOT of people who don't mind it or even like it so I'm sure it will be fine if it allows them to finish the game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I see. Well "true" but I'm much less interested in playing it now. Since I"m a backer I might as well give it a try "if" it launches.

I've tried World of Warcraft several times but have never been able to get a character above 30 or so because the art design just wears on me.

Still, there are a LOT of people who don't mind it or even like it so I'm sure it will be fine if it allows them to finish the game.

Here's the thing. To date all of their development phases have never been about delivering a finished game.

Every wave was to create a playable tech demo that might help elicit much bigger funding from investors which had to be restarted multiple times, this is at least the 3 rd or 4th time.

So are they really working on a playable, finished game "this time" or is it yet another attempt to create "something" that will draw in more money from investors or crowd funding.

Fact is, they don't have the money today or even in plan to deliver their vision, it's mostly all a bunch of hope and prayers.

KumaponSovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Here's the thing. To date all of their development phases have never been about delivering a finished game.

Every wave was to create a playable tech demo that might help elicit much bigger funding from investors which had to be restarted multiple times, this is at least the 3 rd or 4th time.

So are they really working on a playable, finished game "this time" or is it yet another attempt to create "something" that will draw in more money from investors or crowd funding.

Fact is, they don't have the money today or even in plan to deliver their vision, it's mostly all a bunch of hope and prayers.

Goes back to day 1.  Brad's original pitch was that they could create a starter game.  Maybe up to level 10.  Then when people bought the game and it got popular they could work on the rest of the game and take it to level 50 or whatever.

Somewhere along the way, before he passed, he realized that simply wouldn't work because 10% of the game probably still required 80% of the backend work.  That really should have been the first big flashing red flag. They have never caught up since then because the funding has always been far short of the work.  And "restarting" every few years certainly hasn't helped.

Personally I think they should just focus on a bare minimum game.  3 classes. Minimal spells and effects. Maybe all Human. 10 or so mob types.  Basic harvesting and crafting with only a few resources.  Get the basic game loops in and make them fun.  Just make the initial starter zone Brad first envisioned, but cut down further in scope.  Yes you still need the backend stuff, but don't go all out horizontal with 12 classes and 9 races and a thousand mob types.  Add that stuff in later.

KyleranSovrath

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Goes back to day 1.  Brad's original pitch was that they could create a starter game.  Maybe up to level 10.  Then when people bought the game and it got popular they could work on the rest of the game and take it to level 50 or whatever.

Somewhere along the way, before he passed, he realized that simply wouldn't work because 10% of the game probably still required 80% of the backend work.  That really should have been the first big flashing red flag. They have never caught up since then because the funding has always been far short of the work.  And "restarting" every few years certainly hasn't helped.

Personally I think they should just focus on a bare minimum game.  3 classes. Minimal spells and effects. Maybe all Human. 10 or so mob types.  Basic harvesting and crafting with only a few resources.  Get the basic game loops in and make them fun.  Just make the initial starter zone Brad first envisioned, but cut down further in scope.  Yes you still need the backend stuff, but don't go all out horizontal with 12 classes and 9 races and a thousand mob types.  Add that stuff in later.

Just before Brad died, he sent a publisher's letter around Sept or October.

They had been working on Project "Falafel" :) for some time and he stated Pantheon could be shipped then however there would only be 3 to 4 weeks of content for the "average" player.

I recall an avid fan and streamer Bazgrim put together a video to "prove" they had at least 10 zones either completed or in progress.

After Brad passed, the next year they revealed that what they had been building to date was all a big, unworkable mistake.

They totally restarted the back end work which was clearly visible as most of their graphics went back to place holder and they really haven't showed progress on much more than one single zone since then.

Baz went dark earlier this year, probably realizing his dream of making a living as a game streamer wasn't ever going to be realized by continuing to be a champion of Pantheon.

Perhaps he had some advance notice of this upcoming graphics overhaul since the devs have stated they've been working on this for a while and the timing lines up.

Also, it was about the same time as the devs said they would be cutting back on the frequency of their updates in the summer in order to focus more on their development efforts, pretty clear now what that focus was all about.

ScotSlapshot1188KumaponSovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TanistTanist Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I would have been perfectly happy with the graphics they had from the first videos released a bit after the failed kickstarter (the one with the skellies and running around the world with the caster) and those were extremely clunky looking, and unfinished. 

My wish was for the game play, like what EQ and Vangard had. I wanted a dice based system with auto attack and some clickable abilities, Huge world with tons of very difficult mixed level content, naked corpse runs, major exp loss, class dependency, long... slow... endurance style fights. 

But, instead they chose to mainstream and go for the fluffy graphics and they relaxed on the content and systems, etc...

So... yet another game trying to "compete" with WoW, when nobody wanted a WoW, and yet we still have EQ, EQ 2, and most of the early MMO games that started it all up and running for decades. 

If there is one thing I am hopeful with all the new AI development is that we may eventually be able to cut out the middle man and start developing our own games more easily. 
  • richrem1richrem1 Member UncommonPosts: 132
    I don't even @#!? care. The game isn't out, is it? Did people buy and play it? No, therefore I don't give a rats ass what state the game is in. I'll care when it is released and take a look at the reviews for it before buying. I am not sure why you guys are making drama about a game that doesn't even exist on the market yet. If it's out on EA and people are buying it, then yea I'll understand that you got duped by another EA game.
    Kyleran
  • TanistTanist Member UncommonPosts: 280
    richrem1 said:
    I don't even @#!? care. The game isn't out, is it? Did people buy and play it? No, therefore I don't give a rats ass what state the game is in. I'll care when it is released and take a look at the reviews for it before buying. I am not sure why you guys are making drama about a game that doesn't even exist on the market yet. If it's out on EA and people are buying it, then yea I'll understand that you got duped by another EA game.

I doubt it will ever be out, or at the best it will appear ala some 3D Realms cash grab push out. 

That said, people paid money for the game with at least a promise of a copy of the game (when completed). You can go on about the whole "crowd funding" line, but the fact remains a lot of people put money into the game (some a lot, and based on the offerings, I would wager some a quite a lot) in the hopes that it would eventually be released.

At this point, I doubt it ever will be, and on top of that, it is nothing more than mainstream garbage. So to go through all of this for years, with complete incompetence in their development practice, only to get a product that will resemble much of the current garbage that is out... well, some people have a right to be angry. 

I FFS, 10 years and they are still pre-alpha with numerous redesigns of the graphics? Yeah, graphics will save the game!  /facepalm. 

That said, did you come to specific forum of a basically dead game to whine about people complaining about the game? 

Narcist much?