Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Professions Given the Once-Over in Latest Update

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
Professions Given the Once-Over in Latest Update

The latest update for Guild Wars 2 has been deployed that bring a number of changes "aimed at normalizing how certain types of skills work". In addition, food that provides bonus damage has had its effectiveness reduced by 50% while moving due to its overuse by the player base.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on
TillerCogohiOctagon7711

Comments

• cierrabluecierrablue Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Not thrilled about the change in effectiveness of food.
    Octagon7711
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited May 2017
    Overuse of food? lol they don't want us to use it? I always thought the combat bonus food gave you in GW2 was somewhat negligible. You know what this all says to me? It says they want the mobs in this next expansion to seem harder without having to buff them unnecessarily.
    [Deleted User]maskedweasel
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited May 2017
    Please edit the original post. They have only reduced the effectiveness of food that gives you damage WHEN YOU ARE MOVING. Jeez, read things properly. They want to stop people 'wiggling'.
    NephethFlyByKnightZionBane
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

Please edit the original post. They have only reduced the effectiveness of food that gives you damage WHEN YOU ARE MOVING.

Jeez, read things properly.

They want to stop people 'wiggling'.

You just exposed some horrible reporting lol
    AlomarZionBaneturin231
  • vicentesoulvicentesoul Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Good changes but the grind endgame on this game is not fun atleast for me... repetitive and boring :( i had way a lot more fun levelling my character than playing the endgame xd
    xyzercrimeguizicaqoma
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Not thrilled about the change in effectiveness of food.

no more easy modes? not a huge issue alot of foods were op as hell and thats why they are nerfing them
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Good changes but the grind endgame on this game is not fun atleast for me... repetitive and boring :( i had way a lot more fun levelling my character than playing the endgame xd

its only grind if you make it boring like my old eq days find a good fun entertaining group of players to run with and you will have a blast too bad now days teh social aspect of these games seem to be lost on some.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    And that is one step closer to the three per year balance updates that gw2 does...
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    GW2 has been under profession balance patches for almost 5 years no, every time a meta appears they come in and mess it all up.

From builds, to farm, to play-styles, the desperate need to nerf the metas will never work because metagaming rules end-game. O.o
    Octagon7711
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838

Tiller said:

Overuse of food? lol they don't want us to use it? I always thought the combat bonus food gave you in GW2 was somewhat negligible. You know what this all says to me? It says they want the mobs in this next expansion to seem harder without having to buff them unnecessarily.

Actually, this change had more to do with the movement power foods massively outclassing other food buffs for power builds while also creating a tedious and unfun "wiggle" playstyle. It was a good nerf, though it probably should have been counterbalanced by buffs to other power foods.
    Octagon7711
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    This patch made me finally decide to put down PvP in this game.
    They started out to make a skill based PvP,and right now it's just as or even less skill based than WoW.
    It's all about classes and builds.
    They continue to dumb the game down more and more.I played with my SB Ranger a little today and it's such a disappointment.They took the requirement for controlling your placement in relation to your enemy out of the equation,so freakin' boring.
    Boring as kitten.
    I'll stick to fractals and look elsewhere for PvP.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    The last big change made condition and tank builds powerful.
    This change leads people back to all-in berserker builds in pvp.

The mace/shield warrior was nerfed so hard it's not even funny.

As always I feel Anet just doesn't know which direction they want to go so they just undo the changes they implemented before.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50

Dakeru said:

As always I feel Anet just doesn't know which direction they want to go so they just undo the changes they implemented before.

Maybe on warrior, but ele/thief/necro/rev got huge condi buffs(only classes I payed attention too). Rev is actually usable now, how is that pushing people back into the zerker builds?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Disantia said:

Dakeru said:

Maybe on warrior, but ele/thief/necro/rev got huge condi buffs(only classes I payed attention too). Rev is actually usable now, how is that pushing people back into the zerker builds?
    Not really sure to be honest, as I haven't played since the update, I'm happy to take a hiatus but reading through the patch notes, they brought down thieves a bit with the damage reduction to bound and increase in initiative to vault which is good, vault spammers were just terrible.

I didn't see anything for ele that excited me to log back on to play.

I thought the changes to turrets lacked one big thing, and that's an increase to turret health, but they may make up for it with the cooldown -- though the cooldowns aren't enough to make a huge difference, but I could see some usability whereas before I couldn't.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Disantia said:

Dakeru said:

Huge condi buffs?
    Ele mostly just got defense and heal skills nerfed.
    The one bonus condi change is this:
    • Glyph of Elemental Power: Reduced recharge to 25 seconds. Now gives 5 charges instead of using a 5-second cooldown interval. Decreased duration to 25 seconds. Reduced burning duration to 1 stack for 3 seconds. Changed crippled condition to 1 stack of bleeding for 6 seconds. Changed weakness condition to 4 stacks of vulnerability for 5 seconds.
    Thief got some extra poison which is supposed to go along with the new choking gas effect.
    Do you really believe thieves will go all out on poison now and use choking gas as source of damage?

Necromancer got plenty of nerfs and then the change of Plague into Plaguelands.
    Whether Plaguelands will be a reliable source of damage is yet to be seen.

I'm not sure which parts you consider "huge condi buffs"
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Disantia said:

Dakeru said:

Huge condi buffs?
    Ele mostly just got defense and heal skills nerfed.
    The one bonus condi change is this:
    • Glyph of Elemental Power: Reduced recharge to 25 seconds. Now gives 5 charges instead of using a 5-second cooldown interval. Decreased duration to 25 seconds. Reduced burning duration to 1 stack for 3 seconds. Changed crippled condition to 1 stack of bleeding for 6 seconds. Changed weakness condition to 4 stacks of vulnerability for 5 seconds.
    Thief got some extra poison which is supposed to go along with the new choking gas effect.
    Do you really believe thieves will go all out on poison now and use choking gas as source of damage?

Necromancer got plenty of nerfs and then the change of Plague into Plaguelands.
    Whether Plaguelands will be a reliable source of damage is yet to be seen.

I'm not sure which parts you consider "huge condi buffs"
    The Revenant condi buffs were enormous. Like, Mallyx may actually be something resembling useful now for something other than Resistance spamming. If future elite specs ever add a second condi weapon set (cough, shortbow, cough) and a second condi legend, Revenants would actually be great condi characters.

The Ranger got some nice tweaks to shortbow that really helps improve the viability of this fun, but slightly undertuned weapon. 

Thieves came out of this with significant improvements to Deadly Arts and their shortbow. Considering condi thief has been a one-trick pony, this is a step in the right direction. Now they just need Venom and Trap buffs to have fully realized condi builds.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Please edit the original post. They have only reduced the effectiveness of food that gives you damage WHEN YOU ARE MOVING. Jeez, read things properly. They want to stop people 'wiggling'.
    And why would moving have ANY effect on your food at all,it doesn't make even remote sense and why so many developers should not be making games because they have no common sense.

You eat food in real life for energy/strength,do you all of a sudden start moving and think Wow my food is not working?This proves how little sense these system designers have.

I actually used to detest Everquest for having food that really only worked OOC "out of combat" i just thought ,what a stupid idea.
    FFXi has/had the best food properties of any game and by a mile.

To me it also says how badly games are designed because not just food but other areas,developers make changes to overcome other design flaws,if you THINK before designing your systems ,you won't run into mistakes and having to make new no sense ideas to overcome those mistakes.

This is also why when Brad McQuaid said his main goal for Pantheon was to make a game that "just made sense"it stuck with me and i hope it can deliver because VERY few game ideas make sense.
    Aeander

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited May 2017
    Sometimes I think changes are made not only in this game but in others just to generate busy work. Perhaps no team wants to report that things are going well and no changes are needed today, fear of a layoff or something. So they report, " Much needed food re-balance started, skill adjustments being fine tuned, ongoing content adjustments being reviewed." Busy work...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    edited May 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    GW2 has been under profession balance patches for almost 5 years no, every time a meta appears they come in and mess it all up.

From builds, to farm, to play-styles, the desperate need to nerf the metas will never work because metagaming rules end-game. O.o
    Fuck META, it's a joke nothing more than elitest pricks forcing players to only play a few viable builds.

With all the many options to play the game, get the mechanics down know how your class works and play it the way you want to.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Wizardry said:
    And why would moving have ANY effect on your food at all,it doesn't make even remote sense and why so many developers should not be making games because they have no common sense.

You eat food in real life for energy/strength,do you all of a sudden start moving and think Wow my food is not working?This proves how little sense these system designers have.

I actually used to detest Everquest for having food that really only worked OOC "out of combat" i just thought ,what a stupid idea.

To me it also says how badly games are designed because not just food but other areas,developers make changes to overcome other design flaws,if you THINK before designing your systems ,you won't run into mistakes and having to make new no sense ideas to overcome those mistakes.

This is also why when Brad McQuaid said his main goal for Pantheon was to make a game that "just made sense"it stuck with me and i hope it can deliver because VERY few game ideas make sense.
    Did you once again compare a Fantasy Video Game to RL?
    Scorchien
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
    edited May 2017
    Wizardry said:

Did you once again compare a Fantasy Video Game to RL?
    You can usually count on his posts to be at least borderline off-topic, if not outright jumping the shark.
  • turin231turin231 Member CommonPosts: 5
    edited May 2017
    Well realistic or not gameplay wise moving around all the time was annoying to play. This is a good change. Generally it is not a bad balance change. The only thing is that they need is to buff up power builds a bit on PvE soon. The condi builds are really getting too far ahead. Power PS for example is almost useless on raids unless you really lack CCs.