Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Farpoint VR

2»

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited May 2017
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    This happens and in no way is fake by any means.  In fact this is exactly what happened to the Guinness World Record holder for most time in VR.  Look it up.  Immediately after taking it off he was throwing up for a while.

I've never gotten sick to that degree after VR, but I've often gotten headaches that made me want to take it off.  That, and because its too cumbersome to setup again are the reasons I don't bother with it for home use and only put it together when I show off our 360 content. 
    again.

why would someone who has posted in the past that they have gotten sick with VR multiple times for multiple games continue to buy VR games when they know they are hyper sensitive?

That isn't the point.  

But lets pretend for a second that you spent 400+ dollars on a VR system, but every so often it makes you sick.  Are you going to toss that 400+ out the window or are you going to keep trying so you don't waste your investment?  

Maybe this game was the tipping point and he won't want to play anymore after a bad trip like that,  but even after getting the worst headache of my life after a gaming sessions in VR I still tried it again.  
    Uh "yeah" I'll get rid of that system. Either sell it, donate it, etc.

Why would I subject myself to something that causes me discomfort?
    I mean, this could be perhaps the first time it has happened to this severity, who knows?  Personally I stopped using mine for most things because of headaches.

But... hell,  there was a "scientific" study done where people were hooked up to a machine that shocked them if they hit a button and they were tasked with just sitting there. The study concluded with many people continuously shocking themselves out of boredom, so...  I consider this nominally better than that. 
    1. can you provide links to that study and conclusion
     2. You continue to shed light to others to look into the OPs post history and for that I thank you.

I think given most people have multiple things they can do with their time and that they are not in an inescapable prision in which the only thing possible to do is to play VR. So with that the question still remains. If you get sick playing VR, have done so multiple times, why would you keep playing? again, thanks for keeping this point alive it sheds light for others to look more into closely
    A really interesting study actually here read this or this and this one.

On a side note, we all know how people bitch and cry about waterboarding (I have been boarded, it sucks but doable) however, complete sensory deprivation is much more damaging (in long term) to people's psyche. Like permanent damage.

Sensory deprivation read this or this Interesting stuff.  However, I realize completely irrelevant to this discussion. Sorry. 

I originally heard the story on NPR but a quick search is all you needed to do to find several stories on the study. Thanks for posting the links!
    Hatefull

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/07/people-would-rather-be-electrically-shocked-left-alone-their-thoughts

I originally heard the story on NPR but a quick search is all you needed to do to find several stories on the study.
    Thank you.

Hatefull

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    This happens and in no way is fake by any means.  In fact this is exactly what happened to the Guinness World Record holder for most time in VR.  Look it up.  Immediately after taking it off he was throwing up for a while.

I've never gotten sick to that degree after VR, but I've often gotten headaches that made me want to take it off.  That, and because its too cumbersome to setup again are the reasons I don't bother with it for home use and only put it together when I show off our 360 content. 
    again.

why would someone who has posted in the past that they have gotten sick with VR multiple times for multiple games continue to buy VR games when they know they are hyper sensitive?

That isn't the point.  

But lets pretend for a second that you spent 400+ dollars on a VR system, but every so often it makes you sick.  Are you going to toss that 400+ out the window or are you going to keep trying so you don't waste your investment?  

Maybe this game was the tipping point and he won't want to play anymore after a bad trip like that,  but even after getting the worst headache of my life after a gaming sessions in VR I still tried it again.  
    Uh "yeah" I'll get rid of that system. Either sell it, donate it, etc.

Why would I subject myself to something that causes me discomfort?
    I mean, this could be perhaps the first time it has happened to this severity, who knows?  Personally I stopped using mine for most things because of headaches.

But... hell,  there was a "scientific" study done where people were hooked up to a machine that shocked them if they hit a button and they were tasked with just sitting there. The study concluded with many people continuously shocking themselves out of boredom, so...  I consider this nominally better than that. 
    1. can you provide links to that study and conclusion
     2. You continue to shed light to others to look into the OPs post history and for that I thank you.

I think given most people have multiple things they can do with their time and that they are not in an inescapable prision in which the only thing possible to do is to play VR. So with that the question still remains. If you get sick playing VR, have done so multiple times, why would you keep playing? again, thanks for keeping this point alive it sheds light for others to look more into closely
    A really interesting study actually here read this or this and this one.

On a side note, we all know how people bitch and cry about waterboarding (I have been boarded, it sucks but doable) however, complete sensory deprivation is much more damaging (in long term) to people's psyche. Like permanent damage.

Sensory deprivation read this or this Interesting stuff.  However, I realize completely irrelevant to this discussion. Sorry. 
    Sen Dep also happens to be a thriving spa industry:

https://www.staycalmandfloat.com/

I also enjoyed the movie "Altered States".  Different strokes for different folks?
    maskedweasel

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance