Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP! looking for an MMORPG to play this summer

PhantomflowPhantomflow Member CommonPosts: 1
I have played mmorpg since tibia started, later on I left and early this past years i've been searching for an MMORPG but haven't found one I truly like, i will appreciate if anybody knows one that's like tibia or ragnarok (grinding to lvl up more than following certain storyline or mandatory missions to lvl up), most likely as tibia that has an open world, and u have the options to do quest or grind to lvl up or to get better equipment. Obviously I don't go back to that games because of the P2W stuff and that, but I will really appreciate if someone have tried a MMORPG like this could tell me. Thanks ahead.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Were all in the same boat as you, frustrated in gimmick fast buck games $$

Even the classics have sold us out with cash shops and patched in content to follow what main stream is forcing on us.

Phantomflow
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    IMO the only two MMOs on the market worth a damn are Wurm and EVE. Wurm only if you absolutely love crafting and don't need combat, graphics etc. to be very good. EVE only if you are ok with the idea of losing your gear, forced Open World PvP in all areas, and scamming and griefing openly tolerated. (It's actually not as bad as it sounds with the right mindset but the speadsheets in space aspect it what kills it for me.)

If neither of the above sound appealing I'd suggest making the switch to survival games for now. Find a server with a ruleset that fits your playstyle and with a community you enjoy. There are a lot of titles to select from and with the modding community you can find something that fits your needs pretty easily be it some Minecraft mod or one of the many survival titles currently on Steam.
    PhantomflowKyleranPhaserlight
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Nyctelios said:
    Well. If you enjoy Ragnarok then play Ragnarok. Or maybe try the "sequel" Tree of Savior (not Ragnarok 2, that one is garbage).
    You can try also Ragnarok Journey for a change.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited May 2017
    You want to grind for gear and levels in the old school way?

DAOC free shard is the place to be right now.
    PhaserlightSlapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    EQ2 its free now.
    Phry
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I also look, but I shall not find. The ones I want are all unreleased. xD
    Within this hollowness pit, I can't recommend anything.
    Kyleran
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Look for a game 3 years or younger.

FFXIV/ESO/WOW atm are the best pve wise.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Nyctelios said:
    Elsabolts said:
    EQ2 its free now.
    Whats the catch?
    Where should we start.......
    [Deleted User]

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online is worthwhile.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited May 2017
    Outdoors Offline is a great MMO for summer. That's the one I'm playing. 
    PhaserlightAsheram

• chyotechyote Member CommonPosts: 12
    If your looking for an awesome mmo-rpg experience... time to go old school and play some table top sessions. XD

There's Roll20... or roll40? idk, seems like fun.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Not when you live where I do.

The light....it burns...
    AsheramAllerleirauh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited May 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Not when you live where I do.

The light....it burns...

Light? What's that? I live in the Pacific Northwest.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    edited May 2017
    Maybe can try out RaiderZ , a free WoW like mmorog 

RIP Orc Choppa

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited May 2017
    If you want to grind instead of questing to level up then Black Desert is the only game that fits what you are looking for. The only other game where you can grind is Lineage 2 but its an older game. 

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    arctarus said:
    Shut down 2 years ago.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Whelp, for some reason many peeps have been poking on World of Tanks.

I resisted.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    EQ1 is about to launch a new progression server in a few days. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Like Tibia? That's a tough one, and will tell you right now there aren't many here that would recommend anything like it (they hate FFA games it seems).

Are you looking for the hardcore aspects of Tibia as well or just want to kill some monsters/explore and read?

You may enjoy something along the lines of ArchAge if you are looking for similarities. The re-releases of Darkfall may also be along those lines. Nothing I can think of that has the permadeath servers, maybe Path of Exile but it's not an MMO, isometric action rpg. 

You could also just play some Tibia, quite a few still playing on all the different rulesets.
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Forgrimm said:
    arctarus said:
    Shut down 2 years ago.
    was going to check it out once i got my new pc  :'(  :'(

RIP Orc Choppa

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Kyleran said:
    You want to grind for gear and levels in the old school way?

DAOC free shard is the place to be right now.
    Totally agree!!!!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    arctarus said:
    Forgrimm said:
    arctarus said:
    Shut down 2 years ago.
    was going to check it out once i got my new pc  :'(  :'(
    Well, you can check out on youtube here, it was one of HL's first vids (close to 5 years ago now... wow)
    https://youtu.be/qJ2rhdmKaPk

Yeah, it is closed now, since 2015 (August). And I wouldn't say wow-like, it was more like poor man's Tera (but more honest and fun) mixed with poor man's Monster Hunter (in gearing). Was kinda brainless, with nice gfx, heavy focus on action and almost none on the story (with sometimes 4th wall breaking puns about how lame their questing, maybe that's why I liked it - I'm a story player, but self-irony and self-deprecating humor is cool). Dungeons were pretty good, and their version of Tera's BAM mechanic was nicely implemented.

If I remember right, the final nail to the coffin was a massive duping, compared to which the later occured Neverwinter's Caturday was just a weak prank :wink:  RaiderZ never really recovered and after a while PWE closed it off. They don't close games often, but since even Maiet has stopped to care about the game, a few months later it became pointless to keep the servers open without a dev team behind it.

(without stretching the posting rules much, I think I can drop this fairly safely: go "wild"  and try a net search for private servers :wink:  :wink: )
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    You could join me in Screeps, and learn to program AI at the same time. Massive world, shared by a couple thousand, PvPer, better than usual crafting to do anything, and a really good community.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."