Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An open world surefire hit

Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
I think most of us want an open world mmo ,but the trouble is that a lot of the open world is empty or just some resources for gathering but an mmo that could change all that would be Pokemon ,going into those seemingly empty woods ,mountains ,fields etc to capture different kinds of pokemon .this is a game that has been crying out to be made pokemon is over 20 years old and as popular as ever as the latest mobile craze has shown and no i dont play it because im a middle aged guy and dont want to look like a prat as i fall down a pothole. but there is something very addictive about gotta catch them all that if done correctly in an mmo i could easily see them passing the magical 10 million mark .Pvp could be awesome you could fight for a single pokemon or pokeballs etc ,crafting you could make armor ,spells and balls for your pets .I know the game is nintendos baby but they have relented a bit to have it on phones nows the time for PC  ps apologies for my grammar.

Comments

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    The Pokemon thing was a bit after my time, but I've always thought that a Pokemon MMO would work well.  At least from a money making point of view.  I'm not convinced it would attract the mature audience it would need in order to grow though.  What would you do to keep it from turning into Wizard 101 with a Pokemon skin?  Although, now that I think about it, Wizard 101 isn't exactly bad, so that might not be a bad format for it.  hmm.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Not really sure how the battles would take place. In World of Warcraft the petbattles teleport you to an instanced arena. How would the fights look like in the game world? Other players can see two players battle it out, can they jump in? Are the fights live action or turn based?

I can see that they would made a single-player Pokémon "Odyssey" for the Nintendo Switch, with a online option to battle other players in a Dojo or Tournament.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Keller said:
    Not really sure how the battles would take place. In World of Warcraft the petbattles teleport you to an instanced arena. How would the fights look like in the game world? Other players can see two players battle it out, can they jump in? Are the fights live action or turn based?

I can see that they would made a single-player Pokémon "Odyssey" for the Nintendo Switch, with a online option to battle other players in a Dojo or Tournament.

Graphic wise i was thinking along the lines of final fantasy realm reborn ,i think in the wild it would need to be one on one with also random mobs in the wild that yopu can fight as well as other players ,but an arena for mass battles would be cool such as 5v5 would be manic but fun .
    wanderica said:
    The Pokemon thing was a bit after my time, but I've always thought that a Pokemon MMO would work well.  At least from a money making point of view.  I'm not convinced it would attract the mature audience it would need in order to grow though.  What would you do to keep it from turning into Wizard 101 with a Pokemon skin?  Although, now that I think about it, Wizard 101 isn't exactly bad, so that might not be a bad format for it.  hmm.
    The thing about Pokemon whilst it is aimed at kids its addictive nature (capturing and leveling up ) seems to appeal to all ages .I do know that collecting shineys in Eq 2 was very popular 
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    @Tindale111 On a sidenote, have you tried Dragon's Prophet? Not sure what the state of the game is, but you can tame dragons and use them as mount & combat pet while adventuring. Most likely there's a cash shop attached. I did enjoy my time in its Beta.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Keller said:
    @Tindale111 On a sidenote, have you tried Dragon's Prophet? Not sure what the state of the game is, but you can tame dragons and use them as mount & combat pet while adventuring. Most likely there's a cash shop attached. I did enjoy my time in its Beta.

The premise of Pokemon isn't merely that pets are important.  The premise is that by capturing and training the pokemon you want, you can play as any literally combat character in the entire game.  Think of how you collect and use characters in MOBAs, for example.  But in Pokemon, you have six of them in your active party, not just one.
    I would imagine a Pokemon MMORPG as the sort of game that people debate whether or not it's really an MMORPG:  lots of other players around that you can trade with, but all instanced combat and no grouping.  Maybe they'd be willing to wander farther from the Game Boy games and set a different sort of game in the Pokemon world.  But Pokemon combat is 1 on 1, and your team just lets you swap out which of your Pokemon is active.  That doesn't seem like it would scale to multiple players well, other than 1 on 1 PVP.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Quizzical said:
     But Pokemon combat is 1 on 1, and your team just lets you swap out which of your Pokemon is active.  That doesn't seem like it would scale to multiple players well, other than 1 on 1 PVP.
    Scaling to multiple players would be easy enough. They could copy combat mechanisms from either Dofus or Wizard 101, and have a group of friendly pokemon battling a group of enemies.

Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
     But Pokemon combat is 1 on 1, and your team just lets you swap out which of your Pokemon is active.  That doesn't seem like it would scale to multiple players well, other than 1 on 1 PVP.
    Scaling to multiple players would be easy enough. They could copy combat mechanisms from either Dofus or Wizard 101, and have a group of friendly pokemon battling a group of enemies.
    Nintendo could make a Pokemon first person shooter if they wanted to, but that's also wildly different from the style of combat that Pokemon games are known for.
    DMKano said:
    OP there is no such thing as surefire hit.

Look at pokeman go - flash in the pan

Same thing would likely happen to Pokemon MMO - hot at first and forgotten fast
    we will have to disagree on that unless they made a complete hash of it .Pokemon Go had 28 million users when it 1st come out and yes i know its down to about 5 million in less than a year but it is a pretty shallow game the interest is their and the addiction of trying to capture hundreds of different pokemon would keep players playing for some time in an open world mmo with the graphics of Final fantasy realm reborn or BDO 
    Quizzical said:
    I would imagine a Pokemon MMORPG as the sort of game that people debate whether or not it's really an MMORPG:  lots of other players around that you can trade with, but all instanced combat and no grouping.  Maybe they'd be willing to wander farther from the Game Boy games and set a different sort of game in the Pokemon world.  But Pokemon combat is 1 on 1, and your team just lets you swap out which of your Pokemon is active.  That doesn't seem like it would scale to multiple players well, other than 1 on 1 PVP.
    Your right they would have to change quite a lot to make an mmo ,raids would work well large mewtwo boss set upon by a gang of pokemon. tho i dont know how it would work running around in a group other than raids but im sure something could be worked out by developers thinking outside the box.
    Quizzical said:
    Your right they would have to change quite a lot to make an mmo ,raids would work well large mewtwo boss set upon by a gang of pokemon. tho i dont know how it would work running around in a group other than raids but im sure something could be worked out by developers thinking outside the box.
    At that point, the game mechanics aren't recognizable as Pokemon anymore.  Any wild pokemon, without exception, can be captured and then trained as your own.  And it has to be believeable that any pokemon owned by other trainers was originally a wild pokemon that they captured and trained and so you can go get your own.  You don't choose your pokemon at character creation like choosing a class in an MMORPG, other than your very first one.
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    At that point, the game mechanics aren't recognizable as Pokemon anymore.  Any wild pokemon, without exception, can be captured and then trained as your own.  And it has to be believeable that any pokemon owned by other trainers was originally a wild pokemon that they captured and trained and so you can go get your own.  You don't choose your pokemon at character creation like choosing a class in an MMORPG, other than your very first one.
    I wasnt suggesting that wild pokemon shouldnt be caught and trained up that would certainly ruin the game ,and starting with one pokemon would be fine from character creation 
    edited May 2017
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    I wasnt suggesting that wild pokemon shouldnt be caught and trained up that would certainly ruin the game ,and starting with one pokemon would be fine from character creation 
    There is an enormous difference between WoW's "there are certain creatures you can tame as pets" and Pokemon's "every creature in the game that you can fight against, you can tame and fight as, and without weakening the creature."  The former isn't recognizable as Pokemon game mechanics, and wouldn't be even if you had Ash and Misty replace Bronzebeard and Thrall.

The tag line is "gotta catch em all", not gotta catch the subset of pokemon that are tameable from the wild but none of the raid bosses.  Super powerful creatures that you have to gang up upon to defeat simply don't fit the pokemon universe.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2017
    Well there is this , now i havent played it myself , but it seems the concensus is that it is in the Spirit of Pokemon , and people that play do seem to concur and have fun with it ...

http://www.monstermmorpg.com/

and this

http://www.pokemonpets.com/

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I grew up with Masters of the Universe / Transformers / G.I. Joe / MASK / TMNT. Pokemon, IMO, has always looked like a bunch of girly sass.
    Distopia
    Scorchien said:
    Well there is this , now i havent played it myself , but it seems the concensus is that it is in the Spirit of Pokemon , and people that play do seem to concur and have fun with it ...

and this

Those two sites are so close to each other that they look like two different skins on the same game, with the latter constituting blatant IP theft.

Still, it's interesting that it's far enough along to have something playable.  I had written it off as a vaporware, amateur project that would never amount to anything.
    edited May 2017
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:

and this

Those two sites are so close to each other that they look like two different skins on the same game, with the latter constituting blatant IP theft.

Still, it's interesting that it's far enough along to have something playable.  I had written it off as a vaporware, amateur project that would never amount to anything.
       They are very simialr , But the MonsterMMOrpg has been around for a number of years and has an established player base , so , at this point a success and a very viable option for anyone looking for that sort of gameplay ... ohh and i think its the same company makin each of them ...

Yea sure seems that way it has the same mods on there indivdual forums also
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:

and this

They are very simialr , But the MonsterMMOrpg has been around for a number of years and has an established player base , so , at this point a success and a very viable option for anyone looking for that sort of gameplay ... ohh and i think its the same company makin each of them ...

Never mind the similarity of the games.  Just look at the web site layouts.  Either it's the same person/company making both (which makes it legal to copy from yourself), or else one is blatant plagiarism of the other.
    Scorchien
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:

and this

Never mind the similarity of the games.  Just look at the web site layouts.  Either it's the same person/company making both (which makes it legal to copy from yourself), or else one is blatant plagiarism of the other.
       well its not clear , from waht i could find , but think its the same people ...
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DMKano said:

You're comparing a tech fad that drew a mass audience ( that hardly constitutes as a game in the traditional sense) against the idea of an MMO or open world multiplayer experience. Not even remotely in the same ballpark, the IP obviously has a huge draw. That's the first step to success, if the game was even mediocre (standard fare) it would likely be around a while (simply because of the IP). Just like TOR and so many others. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited May 2017
    A similar formula is very popular on mobile lately.

You own a "team" of characters, which you then play the game with. After completing each piece of content (most often a map instance or a PvP battle), you either get a new character for your team, or ways to improve your old characters.

It definitely is a fun premise. What ruins it for me is the progression aspect. If your "pikachu" lvl 5 meets a "pikachu" lvl 10, you most likely lose. The gameplay then becomes all about training up your characters the most, making the actual encounters mainly about who has the highest numbers. This is especially annoying with free-to-play models, where paying money lets you train your characters more easily. In many cases, you can directly pay to get higher levels.

Trading Card Games are quite nice in this respect. The cards themselves don't have any levels. Players can often construct fairly viable decks with a relatively small collection. Just because you spend 1000$ on card packs doesn't necessarily mean you will beat a person who spent 100$. You have no advantage when you own 20x the same card. In the mobile "pokemon" games, the opposite is true. Owning more of the same card makes it stronger. This clearly makes sense money-wise, as it encourages people to spend more.
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    I think most of us want an open world mmo ,but the trouble is that a lot of the open world is empty or just some resources for gathering but an mmo that could change all that would be Pokemon ,going into those seemingly empty woods ,mountains ,fields etc to capture different kinds of pokemon .this is a game that has been crying out to be made pokemon is over 20 years old and as popular as ever as the latest mobile craze has shown and no i dont play it because im a middle aged guy and dont want to look like a prat as i fall down a pothole. but there is something very addictive about gotta catch them all that if done correctly in an mmo i could easily see them passing the magical 10 million mark .Pvp could be awesome you could fight for a single pokemon or pokeballs etc ,crafting you could make armor ,spells and balls for your pets .I know the game is nintendos baby but they have relented a bit to have it on phones nows the time for PC  ps apologies for my grammar.
    I'd be hard pressed to play a Pokemon MMO... no matter how good it is, and yes, I did play Pokemon Go.

However, just my feels. GW2 did a great job of filling their "open world" with a lot of activity, so, that it was fun to explore, and go around.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Distopia said:
    DMKano said:

You're comparing a tech fad that drew a mass audience ( that hardly constitutes as a game in the traditional sense) against the idea of an MMO or open world multiplayer experience. Not even remotely in the same ballpark, the IP obviously has a huge draw. That's the first step to success, if the game was even mediocre (standard fare) it would likely be around a while (simply because of the IP). Just like TOR and so many others. 

Don't you think if there was a sure fire hit formula in  mmoRPG space that companies would be making those and they would be hits?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    waynejr2 said:
    Distopia said:
    DMKano said:

Don't you think if there was a sure fire hit formula in  mmoRPG space that companies would be making those and they would be hits?
    Not necessarily. Just about any major IP would garner high initial player numbers, yet there are not MMOs for all. I was speaking toward DM's point that a Pokemon MMO would likely falter like a tech fad did. Not that it's a surefire hit. KNown IP's simply draw fans, that's the point I was making. As long as the game was decent as well as stable.. it would likely do okay. DO you think TOR, STO, etc.. would still be going had they been unknown IP's? It's that very fact that keeps them alive and relevant. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson