Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

47% of American Gamers Prefer Consoles, 27% Prefer PC, 26% Favor Mobile – Nielsen

Comments

• CaelrikCaelrik Member UncommonPosts: 1

Recore said:

Consoles are made for gaming and they do that better than PC.

Put the game in and it works as intended 99.9% of the time.  No driver issues, no crashes, no worring about how will it run.

Now outside of gaming PC may be bettter but for just gaming nothing beats a console. 

How hard do you have to troll? ROFL. Consoles are made for gaming yes, PC's shit on them brother. The fact you think a console competes, in anyway, is sad. Go back to class kiddo.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Recore said:

Consoles are made for gaming and they do that better than PC.

Put the game in and it works as intended 99.9% of the time.  No driver issues, no crashes, no worring about how will it run.

Now outside of gaming PC may be bettter but for just gaming nothing beats a console. 

That's a dubious claim.  There's a reason Blizzard segregates players of the console version of Overwatch from the PC version; the console players would get crushed by the skilled PC players because a good mouse kicks the shit out of a gamepad analog stick in FPS play.

On the other hand Diablo 3 on console is a better experience. You even have a dodge feature on console which for some reason is not on PC. It just plays better with a controller.

Some PC games, I use both. Consoles I don't have that option and that's only because of the developer.

SoM I prefer melee with the controller then switch to M&K for the bow

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    The statistics only surprise me because I thought mobile would be higher on the list.

That being said, those VR statistics are abysmal.  SO many more people know about, and so many couldn't care less about it, and those that even show a very small interest are on console.

On top of that Oculus won't even be at E3 this year, which is the first time they haven't shown since 2014.  For something that was touted as being the next huge revolution, it's really lost its luster quickly.

The statistics only surprise me because I thought mobile would be higher on the list.

That being said, those VR statistics are abysmal.  SO many more people know about, and so many couldn't care less about it, and those that even show a very small interest are on console.

On top of that Oculus won't even be at E3 this year, which is the first time they haven't shown since 2014.  For something that was touted as being the next huge revolution, it's really lost its luster quickly.

It's just not ready for prime time.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

The problem is "what is there to play using VR?"

I haven't seen any compelling release products other than EVE Valkyrie, and I think the new Resident Evil (?) though that's console only.

I would buy the new doom VR in a heartbeat, less than a heartbeat" but all I've seen is a demo at PAX.

There need to be a decent amount of compelling VR games in order to drive that segment of the market.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Recore said:

GladDog said:

Ozmodan said:

What else can you do on a console besides gaming unless you count watching a dvd which I don't think should not be counted.  A controller really limits activities to strictly gaming.  Even using the console UI is a real pain when it comes to having to use the controller.

You can watch Netflix.

You can plug in a keyboard (at least on an Xbox) and browse the web.

You can stream music.  The optical audio connection with my stereo system when I am playing music sounds pretty good.

You can use Skype with an Xbox One.

There are plenty of things to do on a console besides game.  Not sure of exactly what you can do on a PS4, since I don't have one, but I would imagine there is not much difference between what you can do on an Xbox One.

I can even download a Torrent on my Xbox One.  ;)

I

HOLY MAC! that is amazing! 

you can use parts of the internet with it....wow!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

laserit said:

It's just not ready for prime time.

And it will never be until the gadgets required for it are as easy to use as a pair of eyeglasses.

It's something that Steve Jobs understood better than most: people want to use convenient appliances that integrate easily into their daily lives.

As long as VR requires you to adapt to it and look like a walking science experiment while you're at it, it'll always be niche and won't be anywhere near prime time.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Sovrath said:

I haven't seen any compelling release products other than EVE Valkyrie, and I think the new Resident Evil (?) though that's console only.

I would buy the new doom VR in a heartbeat, less than a heartbeat" but all I've seen is a demo at PAX.

There need to be a decent amount of compelling VR games in order to drive that segment of the market.

I think its deeper than that though.  I don't think a ton of games are being developed because the interest isn't anywhere close to what they expected.  

Most of the most compelling games..... are ports.  A lot of whats out there right now can barely even be called games.

I'll be interested to see if any of that will change in the next year or so, seeing as how the industry projections were said to be so high for the year 2020.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

SEANMCAD said:

Recore said:

GladDog said:

Ozmodan said:

What else can you do on a console besides gaming unless you count watching a dvd which I don't think should not be counted.  A controller really limits activities to strictly gaming.  Even using the console UI is a real pain when it comes to having to use the controller.

You can watch Netflix.

You can plug in a keyboard (at least on an Xbox) and browse the web.

You can stream music.  The optical audio connection with my stereo system when I am playing music sounds pretty good.

You can use Skype with an Xbox One.

There are plenty of things to do on a console besides game.  Not sure of exactly what you can do on a PS4, since I don't have one, but I would imagine there is not much difference between what you can do on an Xbox One.

I can even download a Torrent on my Xbox One.  ;)

I

Jelly  ;)
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Recore said:

Jelly  ;)

your Jelly that I can use all parts of the internet and all for a base cost of accessing to the internet, yeah I know
    (can use torrent...lol...big fucking deal bro)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited May 2017

mgilbrtsn said:

My guess, not having read anything about this, it breaks down to:

27%  Old (me included)
    47%  Sweetspot 
    26%  Diapers

Or
    27% gamers, geeks - I want interesting mechanics and the best controls
    47% kids, casuals - Let me have some fun NOW, don't challenge me much that is no fun
    26% diapers, grannys - I want to kill time

And 
    Always question statistics, the numbers as well as the agenda behind it.
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Some of these comments..smh

You are allowed to like PC and console games... 

You are allowed to like Xbox and PS4

You are allowed to like DC and Marvel

Choosing one over the other doesn't make you a better person

This has been your public service announcement, we will now return to your regularly scheduled programming

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Ive always been a PC player but would be willing to switch to console if more MMOs were available.  Just tired of spending hundreds of dollars for the latest and greatest graphic card.  
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

flizzer said:

Ive always been a PC player but would be willing to switch to console if more MMOs were available.  Just tired of spending hundreds of dollars for the latest and greatest graphic card.  

Soon console will be the place for mmos. 

PC mmo scene is almost dead. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited May 2017

Sovrath said:

That just isn't true; my favorite game of all time runs on my VR rig as does one of the best selling video games of all time, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.  I recently finished Land's End, which was a memorable exercise.  Notes on Blindness was also striking.  Dreadhalls is terrifying on an inescapable, limbic level (think 40's horror movie vibe mixed with Amnesia: TDD).  Bombsquad is just hilarious, and reminds me a lot of what couch gaming Super Smash Bros in college in the early 2000s was like.  In contrast to having a dearth of content, I'm finding that there is almost too much content to sort through; I'm getting a slight 'Steam effect' where I just don't have time to complete all the games I've purchased.

Viewing 360 photos I've taken, or exploring real cities I've been to or would like to go to are also wonderful uses of VR.  People have also created detailed, fantastic artwork you can step inside of.  Think r/imaginarylandscapes meets What Dreams May Come.

There are several good criticisms of VR in its current iteration; you are totally cut off, abstracted from whatever else it is you are doing or could be doing.  The quality of content varies wildly; some of it is good, much of it is either shallow, brief, or just bad.

That stated, lack of compelling titles isn't one of VR's weaknesses right now, and I think things will only improve as time goes on.  VR doesn't quite have its language yet, like films and video games have their own language.  The phonemes aren't even fully realized.  "Directors" (designers) will have to learn what to do, what not to do, ways to innovate, what to avoid.  It brings something to the table no other medium can, and because of that it's here to stay.

Lastly, and 'as a grain of salt', the experience of VR doesn't convey well in standard video format.  Gamers are well acquainted with the tactic of searching for YouTube clips of a particular title to see 'if it's good or if it's bad', prior to purchasing.  This works because there is a certain level of games literacy among the population.  I'd hesitate to say anyone is 'VR literate', yet... at least in terms of what's to come.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited May 2017
    I've had this discussion a few times lately regarding the growing differences between pc, console and portable users.

Pc used to be the primary access to the internet and any real online social interaction. Consoles have been improving online social tools now for quite some time and of course portable devices have been built on this from day 1. The developing dichotomy is now between ease of access and advanced features.

Pc is about advanced features due to computing power, which will always be superior. Size matters when it comes to computing power. As consoles advance their computing power will always be limited by cost accessibility to the market. Portable devices are also limited by marketable cost and computing power will always scale lower than pc due to miniaturization.

This has caused a separation of user market where non-portable, home based computing has become the realm of advanced users. Everyone and their pet (literally in some cases) can access portable devices or use consoles without a lick of training. This is not the case for full utilization of a pc.

This trend is noticeable in brick and mortar and online stores. You can buy a portable device at a kiosk in a hallway or ship the entire device to small mailboxes. Consoles are sold a toy stores and nobody blinks an eye at grabbing a box the size of a briefcase with every device you need to start playing in minutes once home.

Pc sales for home and gamers (outside Enterprise and laptop sales ... most are devices not geared for gaming) is dominated by per part sales either online or from OEM part stores which would leave the average portable or console user baffled. These OEM shops are shifting now toward selling all entertainment items much like the large, declining stores like Best Buy do. Why? Because home pc users are trending toward a even more niche market. They are well informed and educated about using pcs as the core of their home entertainment and "smart" system integrations (a next tier integration of all smart devices). They want to walk into a store devoted to them and their unique interests built around self-educated customization.

What does all this mean? It means pc game development needs to customize toward a different sort of user. This trend toward porting games across all platforms out of laziness will backfire. Developers not creating customized games for a customized pc market will find themselves in a declining market. Pc isn't about to die but lazy game development will hurt the pc gaming industry. It already has and this is partly why there is a recent upswing in indie development strictly targeting the pc market. Pc users are becoming, once again, a very unique breed. Not separated but, rather integrated across all platforms but demanding individualized products for their pc-based gaming. 

You stay sassy!

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I use both a PC and my Playstation 3 for games and other things. Am I in the minority? Yesterday I played Second Life, Star Trek online and Civilization V on my PC. And NHL '12 and Hulu and Netflix on my Playstation 3.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Wow.  I didn't know Nielsen was even still around.  I figured they were a fossil from a bygone era.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Sal1 said:

I use both a PC and my Playstation 3 for games and other things. Am I in the minority? Yesterday I played Second Life, Star Trek online and Civilization V on my PC. And NHL '12 and Hulu and Netflix on my Playstation 3.

You are not in the minority. The trend is toward this sort of use. It is why you will continue to use your pc over a console. If a console offers all the type of gaming you need then you will eventually stop using your pc for gaming. If pc offers a sort of game that will never be perfected on any other platform then you will continue to use a pc.

The trend for bid developers is now making games portable across platforms. This will bite them in the ass in the future. Pc gaming is built upon offering games that cannot be ported due to capability and function. There is an audience that exists for this. It may be smaller but large developers will only lose market share to indie development if they don't realize this.

You stay sassy!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2017
    I turn on both my PS4 and my PC together even if im not gaming on any. When i do game on PC i watch youtube or livestreams on PS4 and vice versa. When i turn my PC off, i turn my PS4 off. It has become an habit for me to use both PC and whichever console i feel like plugin in that day simultaneously. I like to watch videos/news on one screen while gaming on the other.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on

Tamanous said:

Sal1 said:

You are not in the minority. The trend is toward this sort of use. It is why you will continue to use your pc over a console. If a console offers all the type of gaming you need then you will eventually stop using your pc for gaming. If pc offers a sort of game that will never be perfected on any other platform then you will continue to use a pc.

The trend for bid developers is now making games portable across platforms. This will bite them in the ass in the future. Pc gaming is built upon offering games that cannot be ported due to capability and function. There is an audience that exists for this. It may be smaller but large developers will only lose market share to indie development if they don't realize this.

The limitation is only that one uses a keyboard and mouse and the other doesn't.  Once KB&M support flows into the console market that won't be an issue any longer.

IMHO

Console manufactures are missing out on selling me an OS that runs on my PC. I would have no problem paying $100-$200 for such an OS 

Tamanous said:

Sal1 said:

The limitation is only that one uses a keyboard and mouse and the other doesn't.  Once KB&M support flows into the console market that won't be an issue any longer.

It goes far, far beyond that. KB&M has been tried. It has been proven that the vast majority of console users simply do not like using them. It will never be a main interface to a console just like controllers and joysticks will always have a niche use on pc.

What drives KB&M use is the full function of a real OS and software suite that only a pc offers. Consoles are not, and never will offer the real reason to support them. This also means that true pc gaming utilizes KB&M for full integration of pc function. This is the foundation of pc gaming, the very difference between what a pc and console is and why pc gaming exists.

You stay sassy!