Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When did we become so trustworthy?

Comments

• cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992

Eldurian said:

"Please show us on the doll where PvP touched you."

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Eldurian said:

"Please show us on the doll where PvP touched you."

Is this yours? Can I buy it? I'm serious.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

What launch?  They're almost all stuck in endless early access.

Exactly. Most of these games will never have a launch. They'll stay in perpetual early access as long as the companies can continue taking advantage of the stupidity of their backers.

• ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited May 2017

Eldurian said:

ZionBane said:

Eldurian said:

If what you read about Wurm said it was a PvP game then what you read blows chunks.

There are 12 servers. 7 of them are completely PvP free. 4 of the PvP servers are on their own cluster separated from the rest. 70% of the land area in the game is PvE only.

It's still PvP.

70% of the game having no PvP and it being 100% optional and in no way required to enjoy the rest of the game = "It's still PvP" and "This game blows chunks"

Congraduations. Your hatred of PvP has graduated from a bit irrational to "Please show us on the doll where PvP touched you."

Literally there are five 8km by 8km servers, one 16km by 16km server and a 32 km by 32 km server on the freedom cluster that have PvP disabled and one 16km by 16km server that has it.

The focus of the game is crafting, even on the PvP servers it's more about building proper defenses and a strong economy than constant carnage.

There is no rationality behind your logic and as far as I'm concerned you've just completely shot any credibility you had on the subject of PvP.

How can people in another area of the game enjoying content you aren't even required to take part in offend you so much? 

It's a little late to say "Before" since you have already gone rabid butthurt fan boi, however, before you slobber on the keys with your rampant boner inspiring love for PvP, I said that is what I read.

Whatever issues you have with that opinion, do not involve me, as it is not my feels. In fact, I don't give a damn about the game, you talk about it soo much, so I looked it up..and.. That is what I READ.

And one last thing, yes, even if only 10% of the game has PvP, guess what.. that's still PvP. After all, if we are going to talk about credibility, I never put any qualifies on what kind of PvP.

So, lets return the meme joke and I'll say "learn to read"
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited May 2017
    Almost all games have PvP to some degree. Arenas, servers, the Ettenmoors whatever have you. The issue is you are saying it's a PvP game when it is a game with optional PvP. There are carebears just slightly less rabid yourself who play and love that game.

If you are going to say the inclusion of any kind of PvP area qualifies a game as a PvP game I would be hard pressed to find a MMO that isn't a PvP game.

Also I saw it's just what you read. You know I think I read somewhere that people who state strongly worded opinions such as that a game "blows chunks" based on something they've read should probably shut their mouths and not speak about what they don't understand. Don't get mad at me. That's just what I've read.

I think Wurm is one of those games you'd really need to try yourself.  I can't load it, or I would have awhile ago.  Anyway, why are we picking fights over individual games when that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread?

Eh, @Eldurian talks about it, like it's the holy grail of MMO's, so I looked it up (That tends to happen when you talk about a game constantly, across several topics), after randomly clicking though a Google Search on the game, several form posts and some reviews, the overall consensus, was, "It sucks".

Given a lot of the post mentioned PvP, and really bad combat mechanics, and a lot of discussions about the whole game being built around buying into the store.

The reviews did mention the graphics being bland, even borderline crude, but, that was only the reviews, I didn't see any forum posts making a big deal about that.

All in all, after what accounts to roughly an hour of looking at the game, it was staggeringly polar opposed to what I had been hearing from him about it. Given how foamy the squirrel he went, I am now really wondering how accurate his view of the game is, vs what I have read online by other sources, is it really as good as he says, or is he idolizing it a bit too much.
    "Buying into the store" I'm not even sure what store they are referring too. You can pretty easily buy premium and live on a deed for less than the monthly fee of most MMOs and get a fairly sizable deed if you were to invest 15$ a month. The rest of the purchases you could make beyond that are pretty much fluff.

The combat is terrible. But if YOU could learn to read:

Eldurian said:

An MMO is by nature a complex game. 

If you are not looking for good graphics or a good combat system then there is Wurm Online...

If you want to make opinions about a game don't read reviews. Play the game. It's free to download and try.

Eldurian said:

"Buying into the store" I'm not even sure what store they are referring too. You can pretty easily buy premium and live on a deed for less than the monthly fee of most MMOs and get a fairly sizable deed if you were to invest 15$ a month. The rest of the purchases you could make beyond that are pretty much fluff.

The combat is terrible. But if YOU could learn to read:

Eldurian said:

An MMO is by nature a complex game. 

If you are not looking for good graphics or a good combat system then there is Wurm Online...

If you want to make opinions about a game don't read reviews. Play the game. It's free to download and try.

LOL, like hell am I gonna play a game without reading up on it first... 
    Um. Yeah?

Like I said it's free to download and try so there is literally nothing to lose. I actually never read reviews, I read over the features and check out screenshots and game footage. Most reviewers a crap. Whining has become a popular sport especially among game commentators who all name themselves things like "Angry video game nerd" or "Angry Joe."

Learn what you like in a game, do your own research, and don't rely on the opinions of others.
    @ConstantineMerus - What is it you want to buy?  The forum?  Sure I'll sell it to you.
    @Eldurian  In fact your endless praise of Wurm, is what got me thinking of giving it a go, so I looked into it, now either you have a serious case of rose colored glasses, or the game is nowhere near as good as your making it out to be.

Eldurian said:

do your own research, and don't rely on the opinions of others.

How do you propose to do research, and yet ignore what other people say about the game?
    edited May 2017
    ZionBane said:

@Eldurian  In fact your endless praise of Wurm, is what got me thinking of giving it a go, so I looked into it, now either you have a serious case of rose colored glasses, or the game is nowhere near as good as your making it out to be.

The game is exceptionally good based on what I want from a game aside from the fact the combat is awful which I've repeatedly stated all over these forums.

My opinion does not have to be the same as some idiot online who is complaining about some store (still not 100% clear what store they mean) when real cash purchases are not at all important to enjoying the game.

I don't have rose colored glasses just because I know what I enjoy and enjoy what I enjoy.

You however, are not really qualified at all to speak on the game because all you have is hearsay based on the opinion of people who don't understand the game. You don't even know if you would enjoy the game, you just know what somebody else thinks about it.

You're allowed to say a game "blows chunks" but "because that's what I've read" is not in any way a legitimate argument. 
    Also this "terrible" game. Was the last project worked on by a game developer known as Notch before he left to make his own game inspired by Wurm.

You may have heard of it. It's called Minecraft.

Eldurian said:

Also this "terrible" game. Was the last project worked on by a game developer known as Notch before he left to make his own game inspired by Wurm.

Heard of it. Never played it.

Played Trove for a short while, made it to U9, had some fun. But it felt like there was no goal set, nothing to attain to, just playing for the sake of playing.

But then again, I get that from an MOBA as well.

Oh.. did you think I didn't PvP? I just finished 3 battles in Eternal Crusade during this discussion. 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

ZionBane said:

Eldurian said:

Played Trove for a short while, made it to U9, had some fun. But it felt like there was no goal set, nothing to attain to, just playing for the sake of playing.

Oh.. did you think I didn't PvP? I just finished 3 battles in Eternal Crusade during this discussion. 

People play Eternal Crusade?! I think that is the biggest revelation in this entire thread  :p

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

ZionBane said:

Eldurian said:

Ah well then you probably would find Wurm to be a game that "hurls chunks" if you are the kind of person who needs other people to set your objectives for you.

It is certainly a game that appeals more to those who love freedom and immersion. It's not for everyone.

@ConstantineMerus - What is it you want to buy?  The forum?  Sure I'll sell it to you.

The joke mate. I buy jokes. I'm a jokebroker. I buy jokes from forum members and sell them to the stand-up comedians. Talk about P2W...

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited May 2017
    What's going on right now is self-correcting and IMO is needed to move the genre forward, if it can. Outside of KS type situations the market has stagnated when in comparison to years past. Rather than big studios losing large amounts of money making the "same old thing" or taking a chance on something new, since the WoW gravy train has run out, it's the KS "scouts" that are testing the waters. It may very well be that big studio titles will be few and far between from here on out but at the moment if there is going to be innovation it will come from one of these grassroots titles that garners a lot of attention.

I honestly don't understand the obsession with people spending money on a concept they think they will enjoy. If the idea is interesting enough to gain enough attention and money to take off, what's the problem? It'll sink or swim and those giving up money for an idea should know what they are getting into.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    The word the OP should of used in the title is "trusting"

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

The joke mate. I buy jokes. I'm a jokebroker. I buy jokes from forum members and sell them to the stand-up comedians. Talk about P2W...

I don't own the joke.  I just borrowed it from Eldurian.  But you can still pay me for it. 
    edited May 2017

Excession said:

The word the OP should of used in the title is "trusting"

This has already been noted earlier in the thread.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    their always be a scam, their always be a dream that will never exist an their will be people who reach the top an go nowhere. 

but
    if we choose to ignore those that can achieve something with a little
    help or is trying to make their effort come true, then nothing will change an
    are society will stagnate to the point that a select few will dictate
    what exist simply because they have the $$$ to make it happen.

that statement i made is true not just for KS but anything that require effort, time or money from others.

I don't own the joke.  I just borrowed it from Eldurian.  But you can still pay me for it. 

Well I have asked @Eldurian in the first place anyway. 

lol.  You're right.  I had just finished laughing so hard, and I was so tired, I got confused.  He may or may not be willing to part with his intellectual property.  Might want to send him a personal message about it.