Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Cinematic Look at The Art of War (Pre-Alpha Footage) - Ashes of Creation Videos - MMORPG.com

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Okay, that was pretty hype.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

DMKano said:

That was cringeworthy - even for pre-alpha cinematic in game demo footage.

Who are they trying to kid here? Umm nobody is falling for this BS

The millions of dollars they are raising would prove otherwise...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Well, if you're looking for a thread already talking trash about the game, you have come to the right place!
  • FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539
    Pre-rendered cinematic footage should look a lot better than that. Frankly, that looks bad in a lot of ways, and the attempt to make it cool with trumped up sound and visual effects...just make it more obviously a marketing gimmick. Anyone funding the development of this game right now is basically buying a lottery ticket from a random dude on the street.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Why so much hate? It's not like it's obligatory to donate to this project...
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited May 2017
    The first part sounds like how Rift worked with its rifts and  the last how world bosses spawn in other game. So play as the monster is new.

No hate, just realistic perspective. The last thing this genre needs is another failed development, and I honestly wish there was more of a chance of this game being good and making it to launch. Nothing I have seen or heard so far about the game gives me any confidence that these devs know what they are doing, and that's a shame. Players in this genre are so hungry for something good to play that they are tossing money at almost anything. I would love to be wrong, and would love to play a great new MMORPG. I've been around long enough to trust my instincts, and each new fail makes me sad, not hate.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

time007 said:

Viper482 said:

"In-game footage" of a cinematic?

i know its completely stupid. reminds me of crappy shadowbane. mmorpg with the hype train! one freaking cinematic and the hype begins!

It began way before that.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Talmien said:

Here's the only real game play footage I have seen so far, and it's still just a tech demo and doesn't look that engaging at all. The game is 5+ years out from being released, and that's if this team can pull it off.

Release is 2018 do some research before shit-posting.
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

Talmien said:

Here's the only real game play footage I have seen so far, and it's still just a tech demo and doesn't look that engaging at all. The game is 5+ years out from being released, and that's if this team can pull it off.

He probably means that at the state of the game today it will take by his personal estimate around 5+ years... I also doubt they can really pull it off by 2018

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Now this is the biggest scam i saw in 10years in the gameindustrie. This will be a lobby based 4 man action rpg. I call it a failure! remind me in 6 years!
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Isn't there already another game that let's you play as the "monster" and it really didn't do too well. I hope they are focusing attention to how they will make the UE4 fit a mmorpg and less on toying with ideas.
    @Torval the game looks good because of the engine they are using. I am familiar with UE4 and all I have seen is some easy blueprint programming. They will need to do some very heavy C++ lifting to get the massive multiplayer game everyone thinks they are making.
  • TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189

Talmien said:

I have read their kickstarter, quite extensively, and seen the delivery date. It is my opinion from being a mmo gamer since the birth of the internet that it will not be released by 2018. No MMO with the scope they're pitching has been completed in 3 years, especially with a team size of 17 growing to 51 by the end of the year. Leaving just 1 year of developement time with a full team to make release... They still have a very long way to go.

Talmien said:

Lol... want to wager on that?  

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Torval said:

Fozzik said:

No hate, just realistic perspective. The last thing this genre needs is another failed development, and I honestly wish there was more of a chance of this game being good and making it to launch. Nothing I have seen or heard so far about the game gives me any confidence that these devs know what they are doing, and that's a shame. Players in this genre are so hungry for something good to play that they are tossing money at almost anything. I would love to be wrong, and would love to play a great new MMORPG. I've been around long enough to trust my instincts, and each new fail makes me sad, not hate.

Players like you say they are hungry but shit on the food table anytime anyone tries to make them a meal. When you're starving maybe you should consider that. But this isn't about wanting a good game and being disappointed. This is about vapid trash talking and looking cool on the forums. Lots of words in your post, no substance.

My advice stop taking a dump where you like to eat. It's disgusting.

So now the counter is that some people will just happily take shit on a plate and eat it and thank the server.  Maybe we can steer clear of the crap jokes going forward. Personally I thought he had more substance in his post than your reply.  I think everything he stated was correct and stated in a respectful manner.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Talmien said:

Why wager? Apparently friends and family alpha will be taking place this holiday season. That's like 6 months away. So either they have more done than what we've seen, or they're out to lunch on deadlines. My guess is that it's probably a combination of both. like 2 days into their KS they were showing the monster demo. We're a week in now, so what will they show this Friday? Generally speaking, if they want to continue their upward trend, they'll have to do something better than the last. Otherwise they're doing hype wrong. You need to leave the disappointment until AFTER you've got all the money :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112

DMKano said:

That was cringeworthy - even for pre-alpha cinematic in game demo footage.

Who are they trying to kid here? Umm nobody is falling for this BS

But they have 1.5 million on the kickstarter, fucking hate cash grabs.....

CrazKanuk said:

Talmien said:

Why wager? Apparently friends and family alpha will be taking place this holiday season. That's like 6 months away. So either they have more done than what we've seen, or they're out to lunch on deadlines. My guess is that it's probably a combination of both. like 2 days into their KS they were showing the monster demo. We're a week in now, so what will they show this Friday? Generally speaking, if they want to continue their upward trend, they'll have to do something better than the last. Otherwise they're doing hype wrong. You need to leave the disappointment until AFTER you've got all the money :) 

So you're saying there's a chance!

Torval said:

LIOKI said:

Isn't there already another game that let's you play as the "monster" and it really didn't do too well. I hope they are focusing attention to how they will make the UE4 fit a mmorpg and less on toying with ideas.
    @Torval the game looks good because of the engine they are using. I am familiar with UE4 and all I have seen is some easy blueprint programming. They will need to do some very heavy C++ lifting to get the massive multiplayer game everyone thinks they are making.

Yeah, when I'm working on an application or ETL scripting at work the semi-coders and those "familiar" with things always talk about how easy it all is. I nod my head and smile politely and agreeingly at them just like I am with you right now. Then I go back to work and work through that "so easy" stuff with the other developers.

Here's a pro-tip. If it were all so easy everyone would be doing and wouldn't pay me to put up with my shit. Let's see your original demo replicating what they've done. Post it to YouTube and I'll proclaim your greatness to all right here. Waiting.

Uh, are you drunk?

Torval said:

Fozzik said:

Players like you say they are hungry but shit on the food table anytime anyone tries to make them a meal. When you're starving maybe you should consider that. But this isn't about wanting a good game and being disappointed. This is about vapid trash talking and looking cool on the forums. Lots of words in your post, no substance.

My advice stop taking a dump where you like to eat. It's disgusting.

Your analogy sucks. I'm not shitting on the table, I'm pointing out what the devs are serving. Just making an observation has no effect on the quality of the food, it is what it is.

People who are hungry still don't want to eat shit, sorry. They want good games to play. They will stay hungry until someone makes a reasonably good game that actually launches.

I've played 3 different MMOs over the last 15 years for thousands of hours each, plus many more for shorter periods. I'm obviously willing to consume the products when they are at least reasonably good, and I've been as strong an advocate as anyone for games and developers when they deserve it. Again, nothing on this game so far even remotely instills confidence that these devs have any idea what they are doing. We're all going to wait and see, as we always do.
    edited May 2017

Torval said:

LIOKI said:

Torval said:

LIOKI said:

Yeah, when I'm working on an application or ETL scripting at work the semi-coders and those "familiar" with things always talk about how easy it all is. I nod my head and smile politely and agreeingly at them just like I am with you right now. Then I go back to work and work through that "so easy" stuff with the other developers.

Here's a pro-tip. If it were all so easy everyone would be doing and wouldn't pay me to put up with my shit. Let's see your original demo replicating what they've done. Post it to YouTube and I'll proclaim your greatness to all right here. Waiting.

Uh, are you drunk?

No, are you as mentally impaired as you appear?

Show me how in this video there is anything that isn't readily available on youtube as a UE4 tutorial.
    Follow this https://youtu.be/6tC565pR03U for one week and you can replicate what they have shown for technical demo. Spend a little cash and https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/spell-and-damage-system and if you need some animations to throw in there https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/content-cat/assets/animations well, I hope you get the idea. Pretty much they aren't selling themselves very well. There are plugins that allow you to build large environments quickly with very few assets..I could go on but I see no point.
    Stop trying to run your mouth.
    edited May 2017

Torval said:

LIOKI said:

Torval said:

LIOKI said:

Torval said:

LIOKI said:

Uh, are you drunk?

Show me how in this video there is anything that isn't readily available on youtube as a UE4 tutorial.
    Follow this https://youtu.be/6tC565pR03U for one week and you can replicate what they have shown for technical demo. Spend a little cash and https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/spell-and-damage-system and if you need some animations to throw in there https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/content-cat/assets/animations well, I hope you get the idea. Pretty much they aren't selling themselves very well. There are plugins that allow you to build large environments quickly with very few assets..I could go on but I see no point.

And yet no one is doing that. If it were that easy then it would be all over the place. Please do keep running your mouth. We're having a good laugh at work.

no one except these guys.....

simple minds are easily amused after all.
    edited May 2017

LIOKI said:

Torval said:

LIOKI said:

Torval said:

LIOKI said:

Torval said:

LIOKI said:

Uh, are you drunk?

And yet no one is doing that. If it were that easy then it would be all over the place. Please do keep running your mouth. We're having a good laugh at work.

Don't forget Brad McQuaid.... and Richard Garriott..... and probably CU, only they're probably using some assets not easily searchable. Oh!! Probably any sports game post 2010, too, since animations all have the same robotic awesomeness. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Torval said:

CrazKanuk said:
    LIOKI said:
    Torval said:
    LIOKI said:

Don't forget Brad McQuaid.... and Richard Garriott..... and probably CU, only they're probably using some assets not easily searchable.

And AAA studios have reused assets and models. He doesn't really have a point. He made some stuff up and is going with it. The alt-fact thing is the rage now.

The fact is no one is doing what he claims which is hard to nail down because he conveniently hides behind vague claims without pointing to any specifics. That's what all the trash talkers do. On the other hand sycophants will ignore an actual point. It makes having a genuine discussion here difficult at times. There is hyperbole and manufactured claims on either end of the spectrum with not a lot in between.

I don't know. The only time I really have any difficulty is when Stack Overflow returns 0 results ;)

[Deleted User]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• skullhead51skullhead51 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    edited May 2017
    Talmien said:

Talmien said:

I have read their kickstarter, quite extensively, and seen the delivery date. It is my opinion from being a mmo gamer since the birth of the internet that it will not be released by 2018. No MMO with the scope they're pitching has been completed in 3 years, especially with a team size of 17 growing to 51 by the end of the year. Leaving just 1 year of developement time with a full team to make release... They still have a very long way to go.
    The kickstarter alpha access date is December 2018.