Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE finally releases partial list of what you can buy with the pre-launch virtual currency they sell

2»

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Personally, I wish they would talk more about how these items will be acquired in-game, rather than on how much RL money they cost from the cash shop.

And I'm sure the Goons would like to discuss how exactly they can transfer these "assets" from the owners to themselves for re-sale on the RMT market... :D
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545

Personally, I wish they would talk more about how these items will be acquired in-game, rather than on how much RL money they cost from the cash shop.

That first requires even remotely having an idea of some specifics of the game in the first place, as opposed to a bunch of vague promises comprising of all the stars in the sky.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

kitarad said:

Shiver me timbers!! How is this even a discussion it should be plain that this is disgraceful. How far we have fallen that we can actually argue about this.

I'm all for any company doing what they wanna do, doesn't mean I'll buy into it though, if these folks want such a game they want it, be it devs or those paying for it. As for arguing over it, it depends what you mean. I look at any topic as basically do you agree or disagree and why. So I answer accordingly.

Can I see why they want to give people a headstart? Yep. AM I going to be one of those people? Nope.Will I play at all? Doubt it.. I'd prefer CU as it's much more straight up about being a PVP game and not promising the world with a small Dev team and limited funds.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

You are all assuming that those in exposition are all like yourselves in that you would only buy for yourselves.

I'm pledged at baron, I will be buying the settlement pack with my ep, all of that will be to increase the size of my settlement. Those buildings will go to npc families.
    Tmits those npc families that new players will spawn in and they will then get the buildings I have paid for.

So I'm spending my money so people who join the game later can have a building for themselves as well as potentially their own shop...

And potentially pay you taxes and help protect you by living in your barony...

Still selfish motives. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545

You are all assuming that those in exposition are all like yourselves in that you would only buy for yourselves.

I'm pledged at baron, I will be buying the settlement pack with my ep, all of that will be to increase the size of my settlement. Those buildings will go to npc families.
    Tmits those npc families that new players will spawn in and they will then get the buildings I have paid for.

So I'm spending my money so people who join the game later can have a building for themselves as well as potentially their own shop...

You're assuming that all the other whales are like you and not buying for themselves.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I'm just going to stick with FFXIV for the time being.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

True they want to ensure our kingdom is strong but they are also wanting to ensure there is plenty of people to pay alongside.

A truer statement may never have been made on these forums!  (emphasis above  is mine)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

... they are also wanting to ensure there is plenty of people to pay alongside.

Freudian slip ? :D
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    lmfao , people will never learn . 8000 suckers is what is see..

If this game manages to launch ...............it will crash hard .. ...what a mess
    Asm0deus
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Scorchien said:

lmfao , people will never learn . 8000 suckers is what is see..

If this game manages to launch ...............it will crash hard .. ...what a mess

I am not surprised in the least bit, this is simply the culmination of what players have been doing since the dawn of the genre more or less. From paying thousands for ebayed jedi, to paying 10's of thousands for things in entropia and everything in between; like crazy amounts for a mere matter of days to play in Early Access. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

... they are also wanting to ensure there is plenty of people to pay alongside.

Freudian slip ? :D

Autocorrect and mistyping slip.

Edited it 

Sure Bro. That must have been it :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WhayelWhayel Member CommonPosts: 1
    If people want to spend money on a game that you think is going to be shit then just let them. No matter what you say, you won't stop these people paying for a their dream game. 

Also on the topic of RMT here's a little breakdown from someone (in reply to me when I was concerned about RMT) of why it won't really work all that well for sellers:

"They seem to be relying on a combination of OPC scripts that everyone will be using and a lack of traditional gear progression in combination with PvP and a lack of any one global currency, markets, or chat channels.

If I can have my character, or an alt, set to harvest whatever resources I want them to 24/7 (as long as they are fed and rest when required) that eliminates part of the reason to buy resources from a rmt seller.

Characters live set lifetimes and then die and are born again and must start pursuing their development again so there is no way to sell a 'max level' character to people because there is no max level and no permanent progress in any skill (aside from recipes you learned).

There is no in game global chat system or global auction house for anyone churning out goods to sell to the whole server. Which means there is no global price or set value for anything and, aside from paying for and using hundreds of characters to monitor local markets, no way to know what things are worth all over.

Every item in game is physical and has realistic size and weight. If you did want to sell someone a thousand iron bars in a rmt transaction you'll need to load them up for delivery. That delivery run could take you two RL days and a team of players to do if they are on the other side of the map. And if you are moving that much that far there is a high chance you'll get it stolen unless you have plenty of guards.

There is no banking system to put things in for storage that protects them by removing them from the world. If you want to deal in large volumes of goods you will need large secured warehouses to store those goods in. Those warehouses will be known about and will be prime targets for PvP raids.

There is no mini map, global map system, or LOC command so unless each party knows the world well enough you won't be able to accurately set up and navigate to a meeting point for the exchange to happen."

RMT Selling just doesn't work well in this game at all. Will it still happen? Sure... But no MMO ever has been able to stop it. What SBS has done is make it extremely hard for RMT sellers to actually make, store, and deliver the goods. It will still exist because the market is there but if you buy from a RMT seller expect to never see the goods you ordered... 

Also, Caspian said himself the game is Pay to Build, there as blatant differences in the way this game works that makes it different from the usual P2W garbage. The majority of people who have pledged to a high level are pledging for selfish reasons (no shit) but they are also pledging to build the world for other players. People who are serious about the game and serious about making it a huge world with multiple cities and towns, have joined communities who are actively discussing and planning. No one cares if you don't pay money to help build. Most just want others to play alongside. 

PS: One county will take 40 mins to cross on horseback. (if it's an easy relatively straight path) There will be a lot of counties in a duchy and multiple duchies in a kingdom..... You cannot possibly expect RMT's to cross that entire way at all. They wouldn't be able to use a bot because there are no maps and no way for the bot to go across the terrain without getting wrecked by PVP players or stuck on something. The world is huge and ever changing. Trees will grow and different paths will be made, different towns setup. I say Good luck.

BarquDaemonbloodSlapshot1188LoveRemovalMachineGaendricmystichaze
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited May 2017
    No big deal as long as they keep balance between items that are obtainable in game only, cash shop only and obtainable by both means.

Imo probably it would be better to provide fiat money entirely and just take broker fee on currency exchange transactions.
    Slapshot1188LoveRemovalMachine
    Whayel said:

Also, Caspian said himself the game is Pay to Build, there as blatant differences in the way this game works that makes it different from the usual P2W garbage. The majority of people who have pledged to a high level are pledging for selfish reasons (no shit) but they are also pledging to build the world for other players. People who are serious about the game and serious about making it a huge world with multiple cities and towns, have joined communities who are actively discussing and planning. No one cares if you don't pay money to help build. Most just want others to play alongside. 

PS: One county will take 40 mins to cross on horseback. (if it's an easy relatively straight path) There will be a lot of counties in a duchy and multiple duchies in a kingdom..... You cannot possibly expect RMT's to cross that entire way at all. They wouldn't be able to use a bot because there are no maps and no way for the bot to go across the terrain without getting wrecked by PVP players or stuck on something. The world is huge and ever changing. Trees will grow and different paths will be made, different towns setup. I say Good luck.

Welcome to the forums!

Anyhow, You may want to go re-read the official forums because even the high paying backers (one guy spent $40,000) are in an uprising because of this "P2W garbage" as you put it.  Here is a quote from the $40,000 guy:

The mechanics of the EP store as they have described them can only be way to far down the realm of P2W or they are making a cash grab. 

Here is another:
    I can confidently say that these advantages in the hands of my group will equate to a completely insurmountable Kingdom in literally any and every aspect that we choose to go with. If that is a problem with me, it should be a problem with you too.

mystichazeGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited May 2017

Welcome to the forums!

Anyhow, You may want to go re-read the official forums because even the high paying backers (one guy spent $40,000) are in an uprising because of this "P2W garbage" as you put it.  Here is a quote from the $40,000 guy:

The mechanics of the EP store as they have described them can only be way to far down the realm of P2W or they are making a cash grab. 

Here is another:
    I can confidently say that these advantages in the hands of my group will equate to a completely insurmountable Kingdom in literally any and every aspect that we choose to go with. If that is a problem with me, it should be a problem with you too.

For starters. and like the rest of your posts, you really need to get your facts straight Slapshot before shooting off your mouth with partial truths. It -wasn't- the guy the pledged $40,000 to the game that had made those comments, but that is here nor there. 

And in response to the thread you are referring to, this was Caspian's explanation for the EP items that are now available for purchase, for those of you that might be interested. 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19362/new-ep-store-policies?page=19#post208809
    Slapshot1188Asm0deus
    As the person who likes the game so much they bought TWO Buy To King ($10,000) packages put it:

This post as I said before, is me putting together the concerns of 300+ people who have private messaged me 4000+ times over the last week with these exact concerns regarding the EP store.

So by all means, ignore the writing on the wall with more than 4000 messages in one week sent to one of your major community investors.  

You can stick your head in the sand, put your fingers in your ears and chant It's all Slapshot's fault" over and over again...

Or you can listen to reality.   

Your choice:   Red Pill or Blue Pill

mystichazeGdemami

• KavorkaKavorka Member UncommonPosts: 8

And to think people were having fits about Archeage's $150 Founder Packs... :D

CoE's pricing makes Archeage look like a bunch of rank amateurs, lol

Now you have a game that you can literally have spent $10,000 to Buy yourself a Kingdom and find out that your hostile neighbor to the south not only spent $10k buying his Kingdom but then doled out an extra $20k to buy some Legendary Castles and Legendary Siege Weapons and a few legendary Technology advantages.

Im new here and your shtick is already getting seriously old

We don't even know what the in-game difference is between a 'legendary castle' and other kind of castles, but you are already acting like it's game over, if you have legendary stuff you can just command everyone to fall over.

As i have understood it 'legendary' items will have minimal impact on pure character power and will mostly be there to add to the story, but i might be wrong?

Unless they change all of that and you can buy your way to immortality. But until then you need to take a breather and step away from the hyperbole 
    Kavorka said:

And to think people were having fits about Archeage's $150 Founder Packs... :D

CoE's pricing makes Archeage look like a bunch of rank amateurs, lol

Now you have a game that you can literally have spent $10,000 to Buy yourself a Kingdom and find out that your hostile neighbor to the south not only spent $10k buying his Kingdom but then doled out an extra $20k to buy some Legendary Castles and Legendary Siege Weapons and a few legendary Technology advantages.

Im new here and your shtick is already getting seriously old

We don't even know what the in-game difference is between a 'legendary castle' and other kind of castles, but you are already acting like it's game over, if you have legendary stuff you can just command everyone to fall over.

As i have understood it 'legendary' items will have minimal impact on pure character power and will mostly be there to add to the story, but i might be wrong?

Unless they change all of that and you can buy your way to immortality. But until then you need to take a breather and step away from the hyperbole 
    Amazing how many new folks stop in to spread the CoE word but welcome aboard!  If my "shtick" is getting old feel free to ignore all my posts :)  Honestly it would not hurt my feelings in the slightest!

It's not just me who feels this way, even on your home forums, the post by Adam (the guy who bought 2 Pay to King slots) where he stated CoE was now over the top P2W received a total rating of over 100 positive votes before Caspien finally locked the thread.   Those votes are the total of positive and negatives so the MAJORITY of the community agreed with him.  Feel free to go back there and open a new thread and ask the community why they feel that way (if the epic 19 page thread didn't clarify it for you).
    Gdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Welcome to the forums!

Here is another:

For starters. and like the rest of your posts, you really need to get your facts straight Slapshot before shooting off your mouth with partial truths. It -wasn't- the guy the pledged $40,000 to the game that had made those comments, but that is here nor there. 

And in response to the thread you are referring to, this was Caspian's explanation for the EP items that are now available for purchase, for those of you that might be interested. 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19362/new-ep-store-policies?page=19#post208809
    Laughable response by Caspian where he concludes with the solution of "we need to only discuss what the experience of the "90%" will be like and not bring up the rewards the 10%/Royalty get from EP."

As if not talking about it will make all of the problems and concerns go away.

Modern Newspeak at it's finest.

Did you know in EVE many important combat and piloting skills only improve by very small amounts (like 2%) between level 4 (train in a few weeks or less) and level 5 (could take 2 months)

Yet all serious players will invest the time to get all level 5 skills because the sum of those small gains adds up to an advantage.

Certainly not an insurmountable one, but it is there and all other things being equal (which probably means you've made a terrible mistake) you will beat the other pilot.

So Caspian can claim these legendary (and other purchasable items won't influence the game all that much in terms of balance, but taken as a sum of the whole my guess is they will. (or the players will perceive they will which he is correct on, perception is more important than reality.)

Asm0deusGdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited May 2017

No you are paying to improve your lot in game and to put yourself in a stronger position, taxes or no taxes.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Risc1911Risc1911 Member Posts: 78
    Asm0deus
    “I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer,
    the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law
  • KavorkaKavorka Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Kyleran said:

Welcome to the forums!

Here is another:

Laughable response by Caspian where he concludes with the solution of "we need to only discuss what the experience of the "90%" will be like and not bring up the rewards the 10%/Royalty get from EP."

As if not talking about it will make all of the problems and concerns go away.

Modern Newspeak at it's finest.

Did you know in EVE many important combat and piloting skills only improve by very small amounts (like 2%) between level 4 (train in a few weeks or less) and level 5 (could take 2 months)

Yet all serious players will invest the time to get all level 5 skills because the sum of those small gains adds up to an advantage.

Certainly not an insurmountable one, but it is there and all other things being equal (which probably means you've made a terrible mistake) you will beat the other pilot.

So Caspian can claim these legendary (and other purchasable items won't influence the game all that much in terms of balance, but taken as a sum of the whole my guess is they will. (or the players will perceive they will which he is correct on, perception is more important than reality.)

BIG difference between EVE and CoE,

EVE is based on statistics, so yeah, 2% will matter because that is the game design

CoE is based on player skill so those extra stats doesn't add up to much (if they succeed with their vision)
    Gdemami
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    They used to design games with out cash shops now they design cash shops with out games.
    Risc1911YashaX

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/