Time for a new ^%&@# mouse

2»

Comments

• cheyanecheyane EarthMember EpicPosts: 4,866
    edited September 23
    I have had Logitech Mice for years I love them and luckily no issues so far but others have so no idea. G600 and then before that the G700 . I have two G600 actually now afraid one might pack up and bought another. I hear red dragon is good too. Using daily three years is pretty good for a mouse . How long do you expect it to last ? Redragon Perdition

Post edited by cheyane on
    Alverant
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,764
    edited May 14
    Glad you like the Glaive. How do you like the CUE software?

I decided to get the Corsair Sabre RGB. It's not perfect but it's pretty good so far. I wish it were about 5mm longer. The button behind the scroll wheel can't be reached without changing grip and the middle mouse button doesn't have a freewheel toggle like the G700s and G900 did. I still like this better than the G900 Chaos Spectrum and it's a third the price.

I also got the K70 LUX RGB with Brown Cherry MX switches. It's a dream.

The CUE software isn't as intuitive as the Logitech Gaming Software (LGS), but it's more powerful in how you can program lighting effects.

One major pro for both is I can store the configuration profile onboard the keyboard and I believe the mouse as well.

I sent the G610 and G900 to work to replace an aging Dell chiclet keyboard and M500 mouse.
    Post edited by Torval on
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 6,202
    edited May 14
    Torval said:
    Glad you like the Glaive. How do you like the CUE software?

I decided to get the Corsair Sabre RGB. It's not perfect but it's pretty good so far. I wish it were about 5mm longer. The button behind the scroll wheel can't be reached without changing grip and the middle mouse button doesn't have a freewheel toggle like the G700s and G900 did. I still like this better than the G900 Chaos Spectrum and it's a third the price.

I also got the K70 LUX RGB with Brown Cherry MX switches. It's a dream.

The CUE software isn't as intuitive as the Logitech Gaming Software (LGS), but it's more powerful in how you can program lighting effects.

One major pro for both is I can store the configuration profile onboard the keyboard and I believe the mouse as well.

I sent the G610 and G900 to work to replace an aging Dell chiclet keyboard and M500 mouse.
    It's ok so far, still getting used to it. I have been switching out grips to see what I like best. A good comparison would be a stretched limo compared to Volkswagen bus. It sits a little squat and narrow so it's a bit more awkward to pick up but allows your hand to rest comfortably on it. Side buttons are in a good location and set back so no accidental clicks during lift off. I wish the mouse buttons curved down a bit more but it's still functional. If I used palm grip my fingers would be off the mouse, but since I use finger tip grip most times it's not an issue.  When I bought the G600 it took me forever to get used to since the shape forced you to rest your ring finger on the g-shift button; which I never used. I have another Logitech mouse with the free wheel design and I like, but it isn't a necessity for full time gaming, mostly good for work like scrolling fast through large excel spreadsheets.

All in all it's a decent mouse that does what I need it to and no more. As for the CUE software you are right, it's not as intuitive as Logitech's, but It works and seems to have more customization capabilities. I wish the they added onscreen DPI cues, but I mostly play in one or two dpi settings so it's not needed. I know some people complained that the DPI lighting on the mouse was not customizable, but I have never thought it was issue.  I almost went for the M65 which I felt was the closest in shape to the G600, but the fact that I would change the side grips on the Glaive sold me on it.

Edit: One thing I have noticed is that the Corsair RGB Logo gets warm after it's been cycling for about 30 min or so. While this isn't a deal breaker I could see ho wit might get annoying to some. Not sure what's going on there with that issue.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    Torval

• TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 6,202
    edited September 23
    cheyane said:
    I have had Logitech Mice for years I love them and luckily no issues so far but others have so no idea. G600 and then before that the G700 . I have two G600 actually now afraid one might pack up and bought another. I hear red dragon is good too. Using daily three years is pretty good for a mouse . How long do you expect it to last ?Redragon Perdition

If a mouse lasts me 5-6 years I feel that is a fair to be honest. By that time I will most likely be looking to upgrade anyways and knowing what I was using is still going strong I'm more likely to replace it with a different product from the same company. I had a Logitech G5 that lasted me about 6 years. I replaced it only because after all that time the cord started to fray and replaced it with the G600. I wish they still made them like that.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    bartoni33

• emmamillaremmamillar Member CommonPosts: 1
    G402 and G602 is best and budget friendly too. You can read my reviews over here http://toptechreview.tech/best-cheap-gaming-mouse/

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member UncommonPosts: 1,104
    I've had my Red Dragon Perdition for 3-4 years and its still going strong, it's actually lasted longer than my M.M.O.7 Mad Catz which cost 5 X as much.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Southern IllinoisMember RarePosts: 1,807
    I'd been a Logitech user for most of my PC gaming life (2000-2010?) until I saw the Razor Naga Molten. Sooo many buttons! Won't go back. That died after about 4 years then I got a Naga Epic that still works. I saw the review of the Corsair Scimitar so I made the jump. See my review of it on the (currently) last post http://www.mmorpg.com/hardware-reviews/corsair-scimitar-rgb-mobammo-gaming-mouse-review-1000011941 . Don't listen to those saying you don't have to have the CUE software installed to use the thumb buttons. You HAVE to have the software installed AND running to use the thumb buttons.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,113
    I have been gaming over 35 years and hjave NEVER been happy with my expensive mice purchases.I usually toss the m away and just go back and buy a simple 10 dollar mouse and have no problems at all.

if i had my choice i would still be using my 20 year old 3 button mouse but it wore out and they don't make them anymore,every third button is a scroll wheel.
    LawlmonsterTalonsin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Southern IllinoisMember RarePosts: 1,807
    Wizardry said:
    I have been gaming over 35 years and hjave NEVER been happy with my expensive mice purchases.I usually toss the m away and just go back and buy a simple 10 dollar mouse and have no problems at all.

if i had my choice i would still be using my 20 year old 3 button mouse but it wore out and they don't make them anymore,every third button is a scroll wheel.

Oh you!

You are the Mr. Contrarian on these boards.
    SovrathTorvalThupli

• MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,847
    Double-clicking.  I hate that.  My current mouse, a Gigabyte GM-G6800, has just started doing that.  Fortunately, the Gigabyte is cheap.  I may look at a more expensive mouse, but am likely to end up with the cheapest mouse that is comfortable in my hand.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 5,996
    I use a trackball and love it.

"Change is the only constant."

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    bartoni33 said:
    Wizardry said:

Oh you!

You are the Mr. Contrarian on these boards.
    I have to agree with Wizardry. Every expensive mouse I've owned has died about as quickly as the ten to fifteen dollar budget mice. I'd much rather be able to spend my money on two or three of them for back-up at the same price as one that's over-expensive and needlessly buttoned.

I guess if money is no obstacle, it doesn't really matter.
    Torval

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAMember RarePosts: 5,665
    edited September 23
    Mendel said:
    Double-clicking.  I hate that.  My current mouse, a Gigabyte GM-G6800, has just started doing that.  Fortunately, the Gigabyte is cheap.  I may look at a more expensive mouse, but am likely to end up with the cheapest mouse that is comfortable in my hand.

Last time I had the double clicking issue. It was because I didn't install the mouse drivers. It's possible that a windows update or something might mess up the drivers. The first step to fixing the issue is updating the drivers with the ones provided by Gigabyte.
    The best expense I have made for input devices was on a Steelseries ice mat. It's just a large piece of frosted glass that allows a mouse to track. Very nice to clean, sturdy placement, and the mice just glide on it. It's the oldest computer part I use. Only thing I replaced are the feet as they wore out years ago.
    Post edited by Cleffy on
    RidelynnMendel
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Figueira da FozMember EpicPosts: 4,404
    Many mouses have the annoying double click when you just want to click once, the cost of making it much easier no-effort to use comes with some unintentional clicks. 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,455
    Wizardry said:

Maybe I am too old for gaming but I never could understand how you young fellows use 12 buttons with your thumb, If I used one of them fancy mice covered in buttons I would spend more time looking at my mouse then my monitor to make sure I hit the right button.

Two buttons for the thumb is all I can take at my age. 
    Mendel
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAMember EpicPosts: 6,046
    FIrst off, necro bump, but forum has been dead for a bit so I'll roll with it.

I agree with Cleffy - a nice mousepad is a very good investment. I've been using Ratpadz (no longer sold, unfortunately), which are a solid chunk of textured ABS plastic. They are.. 10 years old now or so, and still look and work like brand new. Makes using any mouse a lot better.

I jumped ship from Logitech to Corsair about a year or so ago. Regarding the software, I don't recall much about the Logitech, it was fairly unremarkable, and I'd say the same thing about Corsair. They let me do keyboard macros, and there's some lighting stuff in there I guess, but that's about as far as I go apart from tuning the DPI on the mouse and disabling all the side buttons to match my preferences.

I have a K70 keyboard (Cherry Red Rapidfire), and I love it. It replaced a Logitech Cherry Brown (was also a nice keyboard, but cat destroyed it and it had to be replaced). Biggest difference between the two was Logitech had some dedicated Macro keys off to the left, which made the keyboard a bit larger. I wish all these keyboards came with a couple more USB ports though...

The best part about the K70 - the tray they keys sit in has no lip, you can just tip the keyboard to knock out all the dust/debris/hair/etc with a bit of canned air. (Cats...) It doesn't trap in dirt like most keyboards.

Double-click issues are often a sign that the switch is wearing out. Not always, but often.

I have an M65 mouse - it was textured and early on, the texture wore on my pinky finger and made it sore. I've since worn the texture off where my finger rubs on it. On the similar model Logitechs, they had a rubberized coating, which over time becomes almost slimy and impossible to clean - I hated it. While I like the ergonomics  and feel of the M65, I would think twice before I bought another because of that texture.

If I were to be buying again today - I agree with Wizardry and Lawlmonster - spending a lot of money doesn't mean your getting a better mouse (I regret every single Razer purchase I've ever made). The most important thing is how it feels - if it's not comfortable it's going to cause more issues than it's worth. I'm willing to spend for something that's comfortable, and I'd prefer that it lasts a good while, but comfort is very much the top priority for me. Keyboards I tend to get a few years out of (unless the cat decides otherwise). Mice have gotten better, last few I've had have lasted a couple years or so. I do put a lot of miles on that equipment.
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,976
    edited September 23
    I use them all, have 4 PCs - 4 different mice from Razer to Logitech to Coolermaster Storm series to Corsair.

Never had any major issues with any of them - once I do start to have a failure - just get a new mouse, it's no big deal.

Never really understood why people get so emotionally attached to a piece of hardware that's easily replaceable.

I've diteched all my "80 buttons" mice because I don't use any more than 4 buttons tops.  Just going for what feels comfortable now more than anything else.

Post edited by DMKano on