What should you use for thermal compound? Basically, just don't use Chocolate.

GruntyGrunty TexasMember RarePosts: 8,113
edited May 5 in Hardware
She was grimacing. "That does sound like what America's has been trying to do for the last century or two--get rich faster than the parasites could steal it."   The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson
Post edited by Grunty on
PhryMrMelGibson

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLMember EpicPosts: 7,156
    I usually use ArcticSilver but good to know that I can use a dollop of mayo in a pinch!!

PhryMrMelGibson

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

• AsheramAsheram Member UncommonPosts: 2,471
    What about peanut butter and jelly?

• ExcessionExcession NottinghamMember RarePosts: 654
    I go with arctic silver ceramique 2, but might give mayo a try next time

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• kitaradkitarad RomeMember EpicPosts: 3,590
    edited May 5
    My heavens this is quite bizarre . What possessed anyone to try this ? MacGyver anyone?
    Post edited by kitarad on
    MrMelGibson

• RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAMember EpicPosts: 6,012
    I think I still have a tube of AS5 that's about 10 years old now that I still use. 

I have used toothpaste in a pinch, I can confirm that one does work.

Basically as long as you have anything in there filling in the microscopic gaps in the metal, but not so thick that it acts as an insulator, it's going to work.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus BaatorMember RarePosts: 1,961
    edited June 10
    thermal grizzly kryonaut   I hear this works great but looks to be more for use in watercooling scenarios.

Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,477
    edited June 13
    That table is hopefully meant for fun only, because beside the oxidation some of those products will inflict upon the components, it also doesn't take the aging of the product into account.
    Sure you can use butter as thermal compound. Until it disintegrates through biodegradability along with the heat.

I'll keep on using Arctic Silver.
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    MrMelGibson
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 6,116
    edited June 13
    Mayo is as good as the Noctua thermal paste I used that came with my cooler. :s

Post edited by Tiller on

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member EpicPosts: 18,081
    The proper takeaway is that what matters is not so much which thermal paste you use as that you use thermal paste properly at all.  Air is a terrible conductor, and having microscopic amounts of thermal paste replace tiny air pockets makes a huge difference.  That one thermal paste is a little better than another is a rounding error by comparison, as they both conduct heat about a hundred times better than air.

You usually shouldn't resort to using random household liquids and gels as thermal paste.  The danger is not so much that they won't work initially as that they won't be stable over the course of years of thermal cycling or that they'll damage the heatsink or CPU heatspreader.
    GruntyOzmodan
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,477
    Quizzical said:
    The proper takeaway is that what matters is not so much which thermal paste you use as that you use thermal paste properly at all.  Air is a terrible conductor, and having microscopic amounts of thermal paste replace tiny air pockets makes a huge difference.  That one thermal paste is a little better than another is a rounding error by comparison, as they both conduct heat about a hundred times better than air.

You usually shouldn't resort to using random household liquids and gels as thermal paste.  The danger is not so much that they won't work initially as that they won't be stable over the course of years of thermal cycling or that they'll damage the heatsink or CPU heatspreader.
    Pretty much what I've said too.

For those who don't know:

Applying thermal paste properly is very simple.
    No, you do NOT spread it all over the cpu. That's the best way to have air bubbles.
    You put a small amount in the middle, and the pressure of the cooler will spread it out while filling all the microscopic gaps. That's the only proper way to apply paste.
    PhryKyleran
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member EpicPosts: 18,081
    The thing to remember about thermal paste is that, while it's an excellent conductor as compared to air, it's a terrible conductor as compared to the aluminum or copper that heatsinks are made out of.  Thermal paste might have 100 times the conductivity of air, but it's only about 1% or 2% of the conductivity of aluminum or copper.  So you don't want a thick layer of thermal paste separating the CPU's integrated heatspreader from the heatsink, as that would effectively be an insulator.  You want as much metal on metal contact as possible.  The thermal paste is only there to replace microscopic air bubbles.
    KyleranJean-Luc_Picard
  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAMember EpicPosts: 6,012
    Quizzical said:
    The proper takeaway is that
    You usually shouldn't resort to using random household liquids and gels as thermal paste. 
    Unless you have Rosewill thermal paste.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNMember UncommonPosts: 2,202
    That's a great comparison for 12 hours. What about 5 years down the road? 
    Thermal paste is so cheap why wouldn't you buy something that's decent.
    Personally I have used arctic silver 5 for all of my builds. Have one old pc that's going on 7 years old and still cooling fine.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAMember RarePosts: 5,628
    jdnewell, you won't believe this but... I had to re-apply Arctic Silver 5 once. I bought a tube in 2005 and used it in my build in 2010. It lasted until 2015 then the temps started to get abnormally high. Re-applying the thermal paste (Same tube from 2005) fixed the temps.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus BaatorMember RarePosts: 1,961
    Cleffy said:
    jdnewell, you won't believe this but... I had to re-apply Arctic Silver 5 once. I bought a tube in 2005 and used it in my build in 2010. It lasted until 2015 then the temps started to get abnormally high. Re-applying the thermal paste (Same tube from 2005) fixed the temps.
    I was wondering if that unopened tube of as5 in my closet was still good..guess I have my answer lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson USAMember EpicPosts: 2,169
    edited June 15
    kitarad said:
    My heavens this is quite bizarre . What possessed anyone to try this ? MacGyver anyone?
    Using mayo is more of a MacGruber thing.

Post edited by MrMelGibson on
    Ridelynn