Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any MMORPG have over 30k online?

davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
Any MMORPG have over 30k online? beside wow?

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited May 2017
    ESO,FFXIV may be BDO and SWTOR
    Chamber of Chains
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited May 2017
    You mean 30k on all servers/shards/instances? Is say a lot of them do if you just count total players playing the game at one time.....if you are looking for a game that has 30k on the same server....not even wow does that. I think only Eve has done it.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited May 2017
    cheyane said:

I don't think FF is ever able to norm pop at +30k players online these days.

Neither would BDO.

Neither would SWTOR.

ESO is around 6-11k normal pops on Steam, so having +30k pop would depend on how many concurrent people it reaches outside steam.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    looks like EVE crested at 33K online at one time earlier today, about 21K right now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Kyleran said:

looks like EVE crested at 33K online at one time earlier today, about 21K right now.

A couple if years back eve was actually up in the 45k quite often....depressing.
    I guess its just a sign of the times. With so many mmos (and just new games in general) the playerbase is as fragmented as ever. player retention is rediculously low with most mmos.
    edited May 2017
    @Jakdstripper the MMO player base is indeed very fragmented, very few MMO's seem to actually get to the +30k pop numbers.

It is why very few actually reveal their concurrent pop numbers, they usually just say "hey look we millions of players!".
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

cheyane said:

SWTOR doesn't have 30K players online.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Runescape had over 80 k just a few moments ago.
  • cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
    30k is 70k or more less than the population of the city I grew up in southern California.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

Bathnor said:

Runescape had over 80 k just a few moments ago.

Runescape is an easy one to forget about as an adult but it really is a titan of MMORPGs. Has a very large following among younger audiences. 

Quick peek at EVE shows 20k people online. May hit more than that during peak hours that's just what I got from bringing up the launcher.
  • giffy689giffy689 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Is there a website where people commenting are getting their numbers? I play LOTRO for instance so how do i find server population numbers?

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Some games have places you can go to see the online numbers live. For instance I got the EVE numbers by firing up the EVE launcher and then there was a little blurb on it telling me how many people were online. Same for Wurm. I don't recall LotRO doing anything like that when I played it.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited May 2017

Kyleran said:

A couple if years back eve was actually up in the 45k quite often....depressing.
    I guess its just a sign of the times. With so many mmos (and just new games in general) the playerbase is as fragmented as ever. player retention is rediculously low with most mmos.

If you look at the 3 month, it actually gets higher than that every once in a while. If you look at all time, they're still doing fairly amazing for their age.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

Edit: whoops, should have read till the last post before posting. Nyctelios already linked the EVE graph.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah as someone else already pointed out,it goes by server and not in total that matters.

In my years of experience,it takes around 5k online per server to feel like the game is alive.However as a game gets larger over the years,it still feels alive because most are all in the same zone/s,but noob zones in almost every single game "including Wow"feel DEAD.

The ONLY game that got it right was FFXI because the sub class system had players going back to noob zones for years where as all other games players rush forward in a vee line directly to end level leaving noob zones barren.Point being,populace only matters where you are in the game,how early in development the game is and IF you are actually interacting with the server populace and not SOLOING or just hanging with the same 4-5 people all the time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Kyleran said:

When I used to play EVE, I remember 50K+ regularly on weekends. Now it's roughly half. I guess all those changes didn't help the game much. 

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Wizardry said:

Yeah as someone else already pointed out,it goes by server and not in total that matters.

In my years of experience,it takes around 5k online per server to feel like the game is alive.However as a game gets larger over the years,it still feels alive because most are all in the same zone/s,but noob zones in almost every single game "including Wow"feel DEAD.

The ONLY game that got it right was FFXI because the sub class system had players going back to noob zones for years where as all other games players rush forward in a vee line directly to end level leaving noob zones barren.Point being,populace only matters where you are in the game,how early in development the game is and IF you are actually interacting with the server populace and not SOLOING or just hanging with the same 4-5 people all the time.

ESO does a good job of keeping players in all zones as well. 

I rarely see see a dead zone in ESO anymore. Also the fact that the most popular guild vendors are in major cities all over the game world helps with an inflow of people. 

ESO does a good job of keeping players in all zones as well. 

Usually this idea started to being pushed by Guild Wars 2.

When megaservers hit the MMO the pops were well spread all over the game-world. Today it feels GW2 has lost part of its playerbase so even with that part of the game world feels dead.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2 you can drop to the level of a lower zone but can't raise to a higher one.  ESO you can go just about anywhere and your level is about the same.  Aion started putting high level quests in the starter zone so it was nice to see high level players around when you were starting out.  The quests were just to talk to an NPC though.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

GW2 you can drop to the level of a lower zone but can't raise to a higher one.  ESO you can go just about anywhere and your level is about the same.  Aion started putting high level quests in the starter zone so it was nice to see high level players around when you were starting out.  The quests were just to talk to an NPC though.  

Their biggest change was the mega servers though.

That single makes one single game-world per EU/US so the starter zones are never empty, so they don't need much of players of higher level to go to lower level zones to achieve it. Where the game world dies is on the uninteresting areas where nobody really goes after exploring it.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

MaxBacon said:

Their biggest change was the mega servers though.

That single makes one single game-world per EU/US so the starter zones are never empty, so they don't need much of players of higher level to go to lower level zones to achieve it. Where the game world dies is on the uninteresting areas where nobody really goes after exploring it.

For me ESO dies with the limited skills bar.  I get really frustrated being limited in my choice of skills especially when they try to discourage spamming skills.  Other games also have limited skill bars but for some reason I feel the limitation more so in ESO.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    edited May 2017
    EVE had over 30,000 on last night. 

Peaked to almost 40k in the last 24 hours. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Black Desert Online