Introducing Microsoft Surface Laptop

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 7,821
Microsoft has done it again.  ;)

Comments

• kitaradkitarad RomeMember EpicPosts: 3,695
    I have a tablet Samsung and  Desktops no laptops but this looks nice so if I ever buy one may be this one.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid GinnungagapMember EpicPosts: 8,739
    edited May 3
    A competitor to Chromebooks, not a full fledged laptop.

It does look pretty nice but i personally have no use for laptops running mobile apps only so i'll pass. Same reason i never got a chromebook.

Post edited by rojoArcueid on

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 7,821
    edited May 3

It does look pretty nice but i personally have no use for laptops running mobile apps only so i'll pass. Same reason i never got a chromebook.

This is not the Chromebook competitor. That one is coming soon with the Windows Cloud OS.

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-s-officially-announced/

Surface will compete with Mac Book.

Post edited by Mikeha on
  • NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,248
    Wow music and no specs! This sure is proof of quality! Awesome video! Done it again!

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid GinnungagapMember EpicPosts: 8,739
    edited May 3

Recore said:

This is not the Chromebook competitor. That one is coming soon with the Windows Cloud OS.

Are all Surface restricted to windows store apps? or are they compatible with other windows programs? im not a fan of having a laptop that only does the same things my phone does. Thats what im getting from watching videos about this new Surface.

EDIT: ah i got them mixed up, your OP is not the same laptop as the one i was thinking of. My bad, i thought it was the same.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on

edited May 3

Recore said:

Are all Surface restricted to windows store apps? or are they compatible with other windows programs? im not a fan of having a laptop that only does the same things my phone does. Thats what im getting from watching videos about this new Surface.

EDIT: ah i got them mixed up, your OP is not the same laptop as the one i was thinking of. My bad, i thought it was the same.

The Surface will also come with the Windows 10 S that is locked to the Windows Store but it will give you the option to upgrade to full Windows. I do not know if you have to pay for the upgrade or if you will just be able to upgrade for free. That is what I would like to know.  

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-cloud-everything-we-know-so-far

Not sure if the Chromebook type device will be locked.. 

Post edited by Mikeha on
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog SMember UncommonPosts: 1,420
    why I look to that mouse and think I can break it in less then a week?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • VrikaVrika FinlandMember RarePosts: 4,202

Recore said:

The Surface will also come with the Windows 10 S that is locked to the Windows Store but it will give you the option to upgrade to full Windows. I do not know if you have to pay for the upgrade or if you will just be able to upgrade for free. That is what I would like to know.  

The upgrade costs. Price has not been revealed, but Windows 10 Pro retails at $199.

Vrika said:

Recore said:

The upgrade costs. Price has not been revealed, but Windows 10 Pro retails at $199.

Oh dear.  :o
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member EpicPosts: 18,152
    I would bet on the upgrade being around $100, or more if you want Pro.

Microsoft seems to want to take the Apple/game console business model of taking a cut of sales of third party software rather than having an up front license cost.  That also avoids losing revenue to piracy.  But Microsoft knows that many people who use Windows want the open platform that can run whatever software they want.  Giving people the option to start with the Windows store only version and later upgrade to the "normal" Windows may tempt some people to start with the former, especially those looking for extremely cheap computers so that the Windows license is a considerable fraction of the cost.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAMember EpicPosts: 6,046
    As a long time Macbook Pro owner (since I could afford it, starting in 2001), I had been looking at a Surface Pro since the 4 came out. 

Apple hasn't done much with the MBP line in... a long long time. The overall design hasn't changed a lot since that first MBP I bought, and the chassis hasn't really undergone any change since the Unibody design in 2008. Except on rare occasions, Apple seems to be a generation or two behind on hardware, and I've been willing to accept that on the basis of running OS X relatively trouble free.

But the Surface Pro 4 did have me looking at other options now, for the first time in... forever.

But this Surface event was not enough to draw me back to the dark side. I'll keep running my MBP and see what either late 2017 MBP brings or the Surface Pro 5.

As far as Windows 10 S - bleh. That is exactly what had Gabe Newell and Tim Sweeney up in arms when Microsoft first announced they were integrating a storefront into Windows 8. It will probably do well against Chromebooks, but the educational and developing markets aren't markets I'm particularly interested in. There's been some talk about S gaining traction in Enterprise, but with the amount of third party, in house, and proprietary software I just don't see that happening on a wide scale.

Curious how they only allow you to upgrade from S to the much more expensive Pro edition, and not the typical Home version.

Ridelynn said:
    Curious how they only allow you to upgrade from S to the much more expensive Pro edition, and not the typical Home version.

That's very strange.  If they're charging pro prices for an upgrade, that could end up making people really mad.  Is it possible to just wipe the computer and do a clean install of a Home version purchased elsewhere?
  • CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAMember RarePosts: 5,665
    Can't wait for them to finish the x86 emulator for ARM based CPUs. That's when I see it possible for Microsoft to release a Surface Phone.
    edited May 4

Upgrading to the full-fledged version of Windows 10 from Windows 10 S only costs $49

https://mspoweruser.com/upgrading-to-the-full-fledged-version-of-windows-10-from-windows-10-s-only-costs-49/

This video says the upgrade will be free for Surface owners if you upgrade before the end of 2017. 

Post edited by Mikeha on

Recore said:

Upgrading to the full-fledged version of Windows 10 from Windows 10 S only costs $49

https://mspoweruser.com/upgrading-to-the-full-fledged-version-of-windows-10-from-windows-10-s-only-costs-49/

This video says the upgrade will be free for Surface owners if you upgrade before the end of 2017. 

In that case, I'd assume that they're charging at least $50 for Windows 10 S.  Otherwise, what's to stop people who want Windows 10 Pro from buying Windows 10 S and doing a $49 upgrade?
  • VrikaVrika FinlandMember RarePosts: 4,202
    edited May 4

Quizzical said:

In that case, I'd assume that they're charging at least $50 for Windows 10 S.  Otherwise, what's to stop people who want Windows 10 Pro from buying Windows 10 S and doing a $49 upgrade?

Are they even going to sell Windows S in stores?

They might limit it by only selling Windows 10 S to accepted manufacturers for installation on new PC.
    Post edited by Vrika on

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,764
    I'm pretty sure the license and upgrade pricing will be tied to the hardware. I doubt you can buy 10S standalone, but even so they don't have to offer the same upgrade price for a different device. So if you bought 10S for a cheap desktop they still might charge $150 for the upgrade. I'm not saying that's their approach, but it's a possible way to curb that exploit.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]

Ridelynn said:

As a long time Macbook Pro owner (since I could afford it, starting in 2001), I had been looking at a Surface Pro since the 4 came out. 

Apple hasn't done much with the MBP line in... a long long time. The overall design hasn't changed a lot since that first MBP I bought, and the chassis hasn't really undergone any change since the Unibody design in 2008. Except on rare occasions, Apple seems to be a generation or two behind on hardware, and I've been willing to accept that on the basis of running OS X relatively trouble free.

But the Surface Pro 4 did have me looking at other options now, for the first time in... forever.

But this Surface event was not enough to draw me back to the dark side. I'll keep running my MBP and see what either late 2017 MBP brings or the Surface Pro 5.

As far as Windows 10 S - bleh. That is exactly what had Gabe Newell and Tim Sweeney up in arms when Microsoft first announced they were integrating a storefront into Windows 8. It will probably do well against Chromebooks, but the educational and developing markets aren't markets I'm particularly interested in. There's been some talk about S gaining traction in Enterprise, but with the amount of third party, in house, and proprietary software I just don't see that happening on a wide scale.

I've been looking at a Surface Pro 4 for my wife. A tablet would work for 80% or more of what she does. The other 20% are some Facebook and Pogo games that won't run on mobile devices.

A Surface Pro running full Windows or an ultrabook like this really fits well, but the price isn't that attractive for the hardware packages they offer. The CPUs seem fine (I haven't looked into them really), but both the memory and ssd storage need a bump up a notch. I get why they've partitioned the way they have (mo money), but that's been a deterrent rather than an incentive.
  • CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAMember RarePosts: 5,665
    I imagine the Windows 10S will be specifically for students or people who want a cloud book. Much like the Students and Teachers version of software that locks you out of creating stuff commercially. It may also be a transition into a new revenue system with Windows. So big chance OEM only for now, and a free version for the general consumer. $49 upgrade for OEM version and $199 for general consumer. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAMember EpicPosts: 6,046
    I wouldn't be surprised if 10S is offered free (or at extremely deep discount) for all computers. Being as it's tied to Windows Store, Microsoft could easily make up the revenue stream there. I know that Microsoft has long wanted to get an inexpensive or free edition out so that developing countries (and China) stop using pirated copies of older software they are no longer providing security patches to. I don't think 10S is the correct answer to that problem, but I think that's the route they are going.

I would only expect a discounted upgrade to occur on particular Microsoft hardware models though.

Win10S could well be a no cost implementation for hardware partners. There has been Windows license that don't cost the OEM if the hardware falls within a certain set of specs. This was to promote their mobile market. I suspect (didn't research) that this is probably the same or a similar program.

My opinion is that this has a lot more to do with having a competitive mobile OS to take on iOS and Android/Chrome.

These laptops could be Chrome competitors in schools. They could be great for schools that issue laptops for classes (community college) with specific coursework. IT could setup and sideload apps or non-store programs.

Both Apple and Microsoft, and to a lesser focused extent Google, want a unified platform for their devices. Apple is a lot further along in the maturity of their current OS stable but they haven't tied their platform together as good as they could. Microsoft's platform is incredibly mature and the store is pretty good now, but they still need to work on market penetration. Google is still trying to establish an actual platform to compete with Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Microsoft. They could tie it together but have a ton of tiny issues in their way. Their corporate culture works against them.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 16,098

Recore said:

and I would want to use Windows Cloud OS instead of my existing Google cloud ecosystem with my Chromebook why exactly?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

The main difference between the Apple and Microsoft stores and the Google Chrome app store is the app selection and ecosystem. For example I bought Adobe Photo Elements 15 from the Windows store. I can't get that type of app from the Chrome store.

The Google Play store is great for content. I do use it sometimes, but Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple also offer great content stores.

Google could be a competitor, and they have a great foothold in public schools, but they need to overcome a few Google cultural hurdles like their fragmented OSs, lackluster destkop app selection, solid support for non-native core apps (messaging, photos, office apps, etc), and an app ecosystem that generates better revenue.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 5,996
    I read the 10S browser has Bing for search engine which can't be changed and no other browser can be set as default.

"Change is the only constant."

• cheyanecheyane EarthMember EpicPosts: 4,866
    edited May 4

I read the 10S browser has Bing for search engine which can't be changed and no other browser can be set as default.

Idiots! Hate Bing and I won't use their browser so 10S is as good as dead.
    Post edited by cheyane on