Stardew Valley - Super charming and fun?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member RarePosts: 1,559
Hey folks,

I've been hearing really good things about Stardew Valley.  Is it really that addictive, charming and fun?  I was thinking of picking it up on PC, PS4 or Switch when it's available.  The price is right!

If you've played it, what do you think?

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ In A Van, Down By the RiverMember UncommonPosts: 662
    If you enjoy games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing (though it's much closer to the former) then yeah, you'll love it. I'd even go as far as to say I enjoy it more than any HM game (even my favorite two, Friends of Mineral Town and Wonderful Life). 
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,218
    edited April 21
    I loved Stardew Valley - played the heck out of it and beat the game. Played 4 full in game years and got everything unlocked.

Highly recommend this game! Ita a true gem

Another huge plus is that it is kid friendly, so my son played it as well

Post edited by DMKano on
  • ianicusianicus Calgary, ABMember UncommonPosts: 601
    Its a great game, lots lots lots to do haha, the harvest moon comparison is accurate, but it goes further, feature wise, than HM. pick it up if u like those types of games, u wont regret it.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,148
    It is both the true sequel to Havest Moon (SNES) and a love letter to it.

If you enjoy RPG based on "slice of life" themes this is the real experience. They improved several mechanics from the classic titles, adding combat feats and branching talents - - and as @DMKano pointed out: It is one of the few games that are family friendly without having to cut content:

The game approached subjects like homeless people, racism, alcoholism and relationships with such positive and "educational" view that you can't help yourself but keep smiling about every turn the story takes.

It is a very well designed game, both mechanically and mood-wise and it should become a template for future development teams seeking family friendly games. I had the luck to stumble upon certain tv shows in my youth like Beakman's World which could entertain and be friendly without losing personality or charm and I'm glad some games can also reach that point - because it is a pain to look in the list of family friendly games that are not brain dead simplistic puzzle game that thinks a baby is playing it.

I have a minor complain about it: Some characters often gives you a piece of dialogue that kinda contradicts the character itself... Like, without spoilers, a random person saying it likes to come to the beach to hear the sound of the ocean... Then I found a shell which description said something about being pretty and hearing the sound of the ocean if you put it near your ears so I thought "well, the character will like this" but the character actually hates it.

Even so I can't recommend it enough.

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 15,078
    edited April 21
    I am by most measures an indie junkie and my impression of this game is that there are many 'like' it some before it existed some after it existed but for whatever reason this one rose to the top for the 'non-indie' crowd to notice. Not sure why but it did.

My point being keep looking (in addition to buying this one if it interests you) without concern of being validated by others. just look, if the game looks cool then jump on it.

case in point, I personally would play Another Brick in Mall instead (for 8bit graphics experience) but I understand this game has some specific elements that some gamers appeal to that do not appeal to me.
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on

Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 

On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

Current Ignore List: postlarval, cameltosis, VengeSunsoar