Why Aren't There More Horror MMOs? - Garrett Fuller at MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage louisville,KYMember UncommonPosts: 481
    because the way mmorpgs are made today it requires a kick starter for 3-6 year for the milking of fans..then factor in the "fad" bye the time the game is ready the fad has already passed and not even a "thing" now..the genre of mmorpgs nowa days is disgusting and extremely disappointing
  • MitaraMitara NAMember UncommonPosts: 692
    Most of the MMOs being made today, are a horror to play... isnt that enough?
  • KonfessKonfess Dallas, TXMember UncommonPosts: 1,510

Loke666 said:

Konfess said:

I scrolled down to post, and saw an add for Immortal Nights on this very forum page.  I never heard of it, so I don't know a thing about it.

Why no Horror MMOs?  Hard to buy the rights to the IPs.  Difficult if not impossible to maintain horror for any length of time.

Hmm, think an IP like Star wars or Lord of the ring would be rather harder to get then Hellraiser or Terror on Elm street... Even Lovecraft should not be that hard to get and it is one of the few IPs that actually would work and have enough popularity to keep a MMO. A Steven King MMO could be another possibility but it would be harder to not get cheesy.

And I don't think keeping it up is that hard either as long as you forget the whole demi god thing players turn into in fantasy games. But I think even a Lovecraft game would work better as a regular multiplayer game or CORPG, having thousands of players going around and investigating things could easily get silly.

A multiplayer FPS-RPG about friday the 13th could be fun. But having a horror MMO with loads of zones like Crystal lake seriously easily turns into slapstick.

Realize it's a two or even three pronged approach.  First there is the book or movie IPs, then there is any direct or relevant RPG IPs.  The game mechanics of and RPG can't be copywritten, but the data can be.  The difficulty may not be price as I assumed, it may be troublesome by the scope and size and breath that the IP takes on in acquiring all the necessary IPs.

BTW there is a multiplayer Crystal Lake like game, where one player takes on the "Jason" role and the other 10 players take on the Camper roles.  It was written up here so I'm sure some one can find it, or maybe I just read about it on my Steam List.

I suppose we could make a MMO FPS/RPG horror game that is a twist on the Zombie Survival games.  Where Zombies are replaced with Demons, flesh and blood corporeal beings that have invaded the real world in a swarm.  Maybe add Ghost as incorporeal beings that can only be fought by Holy/Religious Power?  To me this would come off as nothing more than window dressing, technically the player would be fighting "Horror" themed enemies, but I don't think there will be a "Feeling" of horror associated with such a game.

What does everyone else think?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.

• anemoanemo Member UncommonPosts: 1,148
    If something horrible and/or scary exists in an RPG you will have most players asking how many numbers do I need to take it down (and in MMO land how many players)?

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• eklipticalekliptical Dickinson, TXMember UncommonPosts: 3
    I don't really like horror, but I love The Secret World. It has a really great story and interesting setting.
  • Holyavenger1Holyavenger1 CanadaMember UncommonPosts: 615
    For those interested in a medieval horror type of setting, checkout The Black Death in my signature :)

Also, fonts.
    The Black Death - Medieval Plague Survival Sandbox.
    Chronicles of Elyria - Dynamic Story-Driven Sandbox With Permadeath.
    The Repopulation - The Sci-Fi Sandbox. 
  • KonfessKonfess Dallas, TXMember UncommonPosts: 1,510
    I'm still think about Horror, and took a look at Why Games Do Cthulhu Wrong.  I pictured a horror game being filled with "horror" mobs (followers of Cthulhu) to be killed or destroyed, but not Cthulhu itself.  I also didn't consider the isolation caused by disbelief of non-believers in what they player is telling them.I felt that the disbelief of an NPC was meaningless

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Figueira da FozMember RarePosts: 2,728
    The ones I've seen also don't work out that well. I guess the online factor messes up the horror factor.