Star wars galaxies old new and swtor

24

Comments

  • cameltosiscameltosis ipswichMember EpicPosts: 1,393



    kitarad said:

    It didn't remove anything from the community, but grumpy people who thought spending a year getting Jedi was a good idea. Having bad build character does not improve the community. You could still gimp your character if you wanted to, by picking bad expertise. The level 90 system, with the expertise, is way way way way way better than, go hit lizards for 400 hours, to get experience. They even left that in if you really like hitting random npcs over and over, instead of questing to level, but forcing people to level that way is not how you make a good game. 


    The NGE took 34 professions (not including jedi or space) and reduced it to 9 primary professions. 

    This reduces diversity and emergent gameplay, which in turn results in a lower quality community and reduced retention. 

    You are also viewing the situation from a solely combat-orientated point of view. My point about gimped professions was about them being gimped for combat, but still being valuable in the community. My example of the scout / ranger professions should have made that clear: two professions that were gimped for combat, but still valuable to the community. 

    Also, on the jedi front, the time period for SWG was when virtually no jedi existed. Most of us (at least on my server) didn't want to be jedi. It didn't fit with the lore at all, we just wanted to live in the star wars universe. The only reason so many wanted to become jedi was because they were so overpowered. Nearly everybody I knew that became a jedi, did so to become overpowered in pvp. Nobody that did the jedi grind thought it was particularly fun, but we all recognised the value (for both gameplay and immersion) in keeping the number of jedi really low. 

    Finally, a year? When I started the jedi grind, I think I averaged 8-12 hours to master a profession. Image designer was the quickest (a few hours), melee next quickest (9-10), with crafting being the slowest (probably 20+, but most of that was collecting mats). 






    There was 1 way to level in old SWG, you got in a group, which was mostly bots. Got buffed, and ran the same mission over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Adding in more ways to level besides that one way was not a bad thing. I think people just get stuck on something, and if it changes they get butt hurt. 

    As I said there is nothing good about old SWG. Out of the 2 of your who said it was good, the first guy just said that every one who thinks new SWG is better is stupid, and you said gimped characters makes a good community. 


    Again, you are approaching this from a very narrow minded combat-centric point of view. 

    I don't really remember what leveling was like post-nge, but pre-cu there was decent diversity. Sure, as a combat-orientated player, my options for gaining experience were restricted to a single activity (killing stuff), but I could kill stuff solo, grouped, or in a raid, buffed or unbuffed, at pretty much any location in the game. 

    Sure, getting buffed and getting in a raid to grind missions was the easiest, but not the quickest or cheapest. I did personally spend most of my leveling time in raid groups out of anchorhead, grinding squill missions, but I had more fun doing that in 2003 than I have had leveling in any MMO since. 

    But, combat was not the only way to level up, because combat was not the only profession type. Crafters spent their days surveying, harvesting, crafting and selling, entertainers spent their days in cantinas chatting to people and putting together routines for fun. Doctors were either gathering, trading, crafting, buffing or healing etc etc. 





    You also said that the new SWG some how doesnt have a galaxay which to live in. Which makes 0 sense, because all they did was add a bunch more stuff, and still left in all the old things, so to say a game which was pre cu, had a world to live in, because there was literally nothing to do makes the game better, I dono how you get that. Maybe you get it because, since there was literally no content in old Swg, every one was forced to come up with some entertainment, and when people are given more fun content they dont sit there and come up with stuff. That would be like the old farts, who as kids use to run out into the woods, and kick cans around had the better life, because they were so bored,  had nothing to do they had to go do that. Vs today, where we have TV, ATVS, Computers, PS4, XBOX, Phones, ect ect. No one removed going out to the woods and playing games, its just funnier to do the other things. 


    For me, it is the community that makes a home, and a diverse community is the strongest community. 

    When the NGE hit, they removed a lot of diversity by getting rid of professions and introducing classes. This drove off a lot of sections of the community, thus reducing diversity. 

    So, whilst you consider things to have gotten better in terms of the leveling experience and improved combat, that is only because you are narrow-minded. When you consider the larger community, things aren't as good. For example, I, as a melee-orientated player, could choose pikeman, swordsman, fencer or teras kasi pre-cu, but after nge, my only option was jedi. I didn't want to play a jedi, but with no other melee options I had to. This reduced my enjoyment when I returned and contributed to me not staying around. 

    Same applies for everyone pre-cu who lost the playstyle they previously enjoyed. The majority quit, leaving behind a much less diverse community. 





    Adding in the community in the emulators the old vs the new, I dont really see a difference. People in both still have fun in the cantina, cites have lots of community based fun, ect ect. I see a lot less boting in the new SWG, vs the old one. Like 70 percent of the people i ran into on the old SWG emu were bots. 
    It's pointless to compare emulator communities.

    Communities are what make an MMO great. Any game gets boring eventually, it is the community that keeps it going and it is the features that help determine what sort of community will evolve. SWG in 2003/2004 was amazing, despite being buggy and unbalanced, because it had an amazing community (or, at least it did on eu-chimaera). I go back to play the emulators probably once a year, but its never the same, despite the features being the same. 

    Community makes or breaks an MMO, especially a sandbox like SWG. 

    If I were building an MMO today, I wouldn't just rebuild SWG because times have changed and the original had too many problems. However, SWG had a great philosophy at the start and I would keep that philosophy (virtual worlds to live in). They lost it with the CU and NGE. 
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 721




    Thourne said:





    Hashbrick said:


    ~ Signed - A memory in the past






    I'll just quote @Hashbrick because I over 90% agree with him.




    Your like one of those people, who say in eq, eq was better when they use to force you to ride that glitch boat that took over a hour some times longer, even longer if you fell off, was a good idea.........

    That's just silly.
    I liked the original game design much more than the CU or the NGE.
    I could live with the CU but the NGE was a step to far.
    I preferred the community building design of the early game.
    Inter-dependency is absolutely essential for community building that is achieved in more sandbox style games and they utterly gutted it.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Green Bay, WIMember UncommonPosts: 1,243



    Even after the new age came out you could play it any way you wanted.  There were no things in place that forced you to do quests. What is with you wanting a game with nothing in it? Just because they added quests and a tutorial that could be ignored that made the game bad? It still is a sandbox in the new age version of the server, I dont know how you could claim that it is not. It was not ahead of its time, it was the same as all the other mmos at the time, like uo and eq. Forced grouping, limited content because they were new, a bunch of bugs.... As far as the crafting goes, they didn't change that in the new age, I dont get why you say that. Stuff was all still player made, there were some quested stuff, but the majority of stuff was still made, the resources were still randomly generated, the crafting was still unique. 

    I am starting to think you didn't play. You 100 percent didn't have to learn skills from other players, you learned skills from npcs. The only reason people got skills from other players is because they were free from them. As for the player cities they never left when the new age came out....... Raids never left when the new age came out..... THe community 100 percent didn't die, there where plenty of people that played it, and did the same things they did before, maybe all the butt hurt Jedi left. 

    The combat in the new age is 10 times better, the animations dont skip over them selves, the worthless que system was gone, it was 10 time less clunky. 

    Yeah I am sure more people got butt hurt and baby whined the game changed, but that happens with everything. I hear people whine about how they think wow was better when it first came out, how eq was best when it first came out, how uo was best when it first came out, how ford cars were the best when they first came out, how 60s music is the best and new music is garbage.

     Its called make believe nostalgia. Swg hands down was a better game at the end than when it started. More new player friendly, same crafting system for the most part, better classes, easier to use interface, better trading system, city system was still there, space combat was better, random asteroid resources you had to get in space, more fluid animations, better combat system, better story, better tutorial, better everything, minus the Jedi, and on and on. If you take away that fake memory you have of a game being good when it wasn't we wouldnt be having this conversation.  

    Just like SWTOR, with even more hand holding, 0 freedom from quests, so simple a game, you can slap your face on the keyboard and win, less defined classes, no beast handling, no crafting at all, no player economy, gambling boxes, 0 sandbox features, linear everything from pvp to space ships, is a 100 times more popular game than swg ever was.

    So yeah, a tiny minority thinks a game, that has no content, a bunch of bugs, forced grouping, no balance classes, a perm death Jedi thing, pvp that was so unbalanced a Jedi could take on 100 people, was the better game...... It is also why Ryzom, which basically has that crafting system you keep glorifying, a 10 times better combat system, a 10 times better world, make your own skills, random resources, ect ect, has like 100 people that play it.

    All i can say is your wrong lol. Because if you were right, ryzom would have wow population, and wow would have like 100 people. SWG when it first came out had no competition to speak of, if they keep the game the same, yeah it would of retained the original 5000 people who thought the bug fest, forced grouping, no content game was good, but they wouldn't of got all the new players they did.  

    What game are you playing now? Bet it is not Ryzom or SWG emu, classic uo, or project 1999, cause all those put together have like 4000 people. 

    Your right though your obviously butt hurt about the whole thing, and no matter what i put your gonna feel the same way, so what ever, im gonna go play new age SWG and have some fun. You enjoy your make believe memories, while you dont even really like that kind of game, more than likely playing WOW as you were writing that to me haha. 

    Because if this was true. I'm a simple man spoiled from MMOs of the old age.  Looking for a home but deserted.  My heart and time is not worthy for the MMOs of the new age.
    Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/463525/star-wars-galaxies-old-new-and-swtor#zKRlcdrx3JVuTmoV.99

    There are plenty of old mmos to play. Project 1999, Dark age of Camelot, Ryzom, Istria, Classic Uo, Dark fall, SWG emu which is to the t like old SWG use to be, and I am sure there are plenty more. 


    I think you are confusing popular with what people opinionate.  I'm not saying it was more popular infact that is quite the opposite, it was more popular in NGE than ever when it came out.  You can't say I'm wrong to my own opinion of what made SWG great. The point is when NGE hit all my contacts were gone, major player cities were gone, my friends quit, my crafters no longer could be found.  I lost my community, I don't care if a new community came in and prospered.  MINE was gone.  

    Ya you could learn skills from NPC but the community was the teachers for the most part, you'd send a request in chat and someone would meet you and you learn the skill and tip them.  Never said crafting didn't exist in NGE however they removed many elements of it, such as randomness of the elements, duration of gear, it defiantly was not the same as it was.  I told you combat was shit but I don't care it was all about just getting a waypoint and walking (before vehicles were even a thing...) destroying a monster lair with terrible shitty animations and graphics.  When you died the animation of how you just plop down on the ground was hilarious.

    I don't play an MMO there is nothing worth while, ya old MMOs still exist but that was a taste of my past self, I want something new not old but still give that old 90s style, there isn't much out there or coming.  That's a me problem, I'm not saying they don't exist, to me and to my tastes they don't.

    I'm not butt hurt I moved on but I will not forget the memories that existed to be washed away by someone thinking "something was better" in their own opinion.  You have yours and I have mine, there are facts, memories, and personal experiences depending on your server your mileage may vary.
    I'm a simple man spoiled from MMOs of the old age.  Looking for a home but deserted.  My heart and time is not worthy for the MMOs of the new age.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 721


    Quoting here -> I am starting to think you didn't play. You
    100 percent didn't have to learn skills from other players, you learned
    skills from npcs. The only reason people got skills from other players
    is because they were free @hatefulpeace


    Actually, if you didn't train other people you didn't get the points for training and therefore could not purchase any Master Boxes for your professions. This would be why people made sure to train others more than any other reason. Again community building Inter-dependence.

  • cameltosiscameltosis ipswichMember EpicPosts: 1,393





    Phry said:

















    Thane said:














    kitarad said:








    You mean the new SWG is the one after the combat update ? I thought that was what killed the original SWG.
















    yes it was, it copied ideas from WoW and killed everything original they had in SWG, and whoever thinks different, doesn't need to argue on this one - seriously.

    the whole system (and everything that made the org great) was totaly fucked.












    Yep cause, clunky UI, bad combat, no quest system, no balance, perm death Jedis, is what made SWG great. They didnt copy anything from wow, there you go spreading that fake news. They kept everything that made SWG, which was the story, good crafting, space combat, city building, and the rest. 

    I suppose your one of those people who think pain induced searching the bazaar, for hours and hours because there was no search, was one of the things that made SWG great. 




    Unfortunately having a search function in the bazaar wasn't enough to save the game from having a bad combat system (benny hill jokes about the combat were well deserved) a nerfed crafting system, the NGE utterly gutted the crafting in SWG, and was the primary reason why the crafting community abandoned the game, never mind that a considerable number of the classes from the game were removed entirely, and the few that were left were mere shadows of what they used to be, while some of those professions that were removed were actually among the most interesting and fun to play, the reasons why the vast majority of SWG's playerbase abandoned the game, was because the NGE was such an abomination, its so well documented at this point, its not even worth arguing over, the NGE killed SWG, i cannot imagine for the life of me, why anyone would even bother trying to run an emulator using that version. O.o






    Well the New age one is way more popular than the old one, so that ends that. The combat system is way better in the new one, the old one was terrible. If your saying the new combat system is bad, than your saying SWTOR is bad, everquest, everquest 2, WOW, Star trek online, Never winter, Baulders gate, baulders gate 2, and like 90 mores games with the same combat. As for your fake news about the vast majority of swg leaving, its just not true. The new SWG brought in more players than it lost. I dont recall anything saying, we are closing SWG because nge ruined it....... There were more people on SWG consistantly than SWTOR has now. When i logged onto swtor, there were like 10 people on republic, and 20 on imperial, starter planets had like 15 players, assuming they were even there. No one was talking so it is hard to tell. I rarely ran into any one.

    So that ends that for me, the people who say the old swg was great, have rose colored glasses on, or never played either. It is right up there with the conspiracy that the moon is hallow and aliens live in it, thats why we dont go back to the moon. 



    OK, so you think the combat system from SWG NGE is the same as SW:TOR, which you also think is the same as WoW and Baldurs Gate?

    Wow. Really?

    Not much point in continuing the discussion if that is as far as your understanding of combat mechanics goes...
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    So what private server is this anyway?

    “It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

    --John Ruskin







  • TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 5,946
    As soon as I saw the OP mention "fake news" I knew he was trollin. Next!

    My Steam

    My Soundcloud
    SWG pre-cu vet, elder Jedi, elder BH -Bloodfin




  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomeMember UncommonPosts: 3,757
    NGE existed for a lot longer then PreCU. It had loads of content added and was improved upon for long.
    I hated NGE at first, but came back a few years later when a lot had changed. I always loved being a trader in SWG and that was basically destroyed at first. But they expanded the crafting a lot afterwards and when they also brought back empire vs rebels city invasions etc, I was sold.
    Oh and spacecombat with those multiplayer ships was awesome.

    Anyway, at that point, the only thing I still missed was the skill system. (Well and hoping for a better engine, because that was really showing its age in ground combat).

    To be fair, ground combat is kind of shit in any implementation of SWG. The engine is utterly crap for a 3d game (there is no real z axis). But who played SWG just for the combat. For me it definately was the sum of all those features the game offered (top crafting, space combat, player housing, player cities, content creation system , bounty hunting)
  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomeMember UncommonPosts: 3,757
    Oh and as for SWTOR. That game can be fun to enjoy for story, but it plays like WoW with lasers. And the world is not that interesting beyond questing.
    It is telling that the fleets are the main hubs in that game and they even allow people riding their stupid big ass mounts and vehicles there. Any Star Wars immersion is immediately lost outside story.
  • PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 8,643




    Thourne said:





    Hashbrick said:



    Look man you are opening up a beehive for a lot of us who loved what made the pre-cu SWG so great.  As many said, its not about quests, its not about the combat, its not about any hand holding features that came with the NGE.  It is 100% about how the entire game was a sandbox with zero direction.  It was ahead of its time and that is why it failed so brilliantly.  

    The entire game was ran by the community of the server, things happened because of the players not because the devs scripted it to happen.  You had masterful traders and crafts that you knew by name cause they were the best in the business.  They knew where to buy or collect the best materials to make the most optimized weapons.  You had people you knew in the cantina that would do nothing but serve customers and those customers were players to get buffed.  You had to actually learn skills from other players.  You had player cities that soon became known landmarks on the server, people knew what it was and who resided there.  You had raids and peace treaties depending on actual people actions in the community.  AGAIN IT WAS A COMMUNITY!  When CU came out that community still survived a bit, but when NGE hit that COMMUNITY DIED.  Massively huge player cities turned to ghost towns.  Traders were no longer known by name just how quickly you could get it.  Crafting became irrelevant.

    The combat was shit, the interfaces were shit, the entire engine rendered like shit, BUT NONE OF THAT MATTERED!  COMMUNITY was and is the only redeeming factor of pre-cu.  If you think for a second the only people that whined that their game, their community was driven in the ground by stupid executive decisions, were the Jedi's that spent a lot of time gaining the gift of the Jedi from holocrons you are 100% wrong.

    ~ Signed - A memory in the past






    I'll just quote @Hashbrick because I over 90% agree with him.




    Your like one of those people, who say in eq, eq was better when they use to force you to ride that glitch boat that took over a hour some times longer, even longer if you fell off, was a good idea.........


    Not sure how you equate bugs with flawed designs, of which the NGE was about as flawed as it is possible to be, although, to be fair the NGE did also introduce a ton of bugs into a game that already had more than its fair share, many of which managed to survive until the game was shut down.
    I know it might be painful, but its really past time to move on from the whole NGE debacle, which when you really get down to it, the only positive thing the NGE achieved, is that it became an object lesson for developers :o
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace nyMember UncommonPosts: 621










    Phry said:





















    Thane said:
















    kitarad said:









    You mean the new SWG is the one after the combat update ? I thought that was what killed the original SWG.


















    yes it was, it copied ideas from WoW and killed everything original they had in SWG, and whoever thinks different, doesn't need to argue on this one - seriously.

    the whole system (and everything that made the org great) was totaly fucked.














    Yep cause, clunky UI, bad combat, no quest system, no balance, perm death Jedis, is what made SWG great. They didnt copy anything from wow, there you go spreading that fake news. They kept everything that made SWG, which was the story, good crafting, space combat, city building, and the rest. 

    I suppose your one of those people who think pain induced searching the bazaar, for hours and hours because there was no search, was one of the things that made SWG great. 





    Unfortunately having a search function in the bazaar wasn't enough to save the game from having a bad combat system (benny hill jokes about the combat were well deserved) a nerfed crafting system, the NGE utterly gutted the crafting in SWG, and was the primary reason why the crafting community abandoned the game, never mind that a considerable number of the classes from the game were removed entirely, and the few that were left were mere shadows of what they used to be, while some of those professions that were removed were actually among the most interesting and fun to play, the reasons why the vast majority of SWG's playerbase abandoned the game, was because the NGE was such an abomination, its so well documented at this point, its not even worth arguing over, the NGE killed SWG, i cannot imagine for the life of me, why anyone would even bother trying to run an emulator using that version. O.o








    Well the New age one is way more popular than the old one, so that ends that. The combat system is way better in the new one, the old one was terrible. If your saying the new combat system is bad, than your saying SWTOR is bad, everquest, everquest 2, WOW, Star trek online, Never winter, Baulders gate, baulders gate 2, and like 90 mores games with the same combat. As for your fake news about the vast majority of swg leaving, its just not true. The new SWG brought in more players than it lost. I dont recall anything saying, we are closing SWG because nge ruined it....... There were more people on SWG consistantly than SWTOR has now. When i logged onto swtor, there were like 10 people on republic, and 20 on imperial, starter planets had like 15 players, assuming they were even there. No one was talking so it is hard to tell. I rarely ran into any one.

    So that ends that for me, the people who say the old swg was great, have rose colored glasses on, or never played either. It is right up there with the conspiracy that the moon is hallow and aliens live in it, thats why we dont go back to the moon. 





    OK, so you think the combat system from SWG NGE is the same as SW:TOR, which you also think is the same as WoW and Baldurs Gate?

    Wow. Really?

    Not much point in continuing the discussion if that is as far as your understanding of combat mechanics goes...


    Yeah really. I dont see how you cant say its not. They are all tab targeted, ability bars, expertise lines, ranged and melee. What is difference o masterful one?
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace nyMember UncommonPosts: 621

    Tiller said:

    As soon as I saw the OP mention "fake news" I knew he was trollin. Next!


    Far from trolling, I think the people who claim that Pre cu swg was gods gift to the world are trolling. 
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace nyMember UncommonPosts: 621
    edited April 19





    Phry said:
























    Thourne said:















    Hashbrick said:








    Look man you are opening up a beehive for a lot of us who loved what made the pre-cu SWG so great.  As many said, its not about quests, its not about the combat, its not about any hand holding features that came with the NGE.  It is 100% about how the entire game was a sandbox with zero direction.  It was ahead of its time and that is why it failed so brilliantly.  

    The entire game was ran by the community of the server, things happened because of the players not because the devs scripted it to happen.  You had masterful traders and crafts that you knew by name cause they were the best in the business.  They knew where to buy or collect the best materials to make the most optimized weapons.  You had people you knew in the cantina that would do nothing but serve customers and those customers were players to get buffed.  You had to actually learn skills from other players.  You had player cities that soon became known landmarks on the server, people knew what it was and who resided there.  You had raids and peace treaties depending on actual people actions in the community.  AGAIN IT WAS A COMMUNITY!  When CU came out that community still survived a bit, but when NGE hit that COMMUNITY DIED.  Massively huge player cities turned to ghost towns.  Traders were no longer known by name just how quickly you could get it.  Crafting became irrelevant.

    The combat was shit, the interfaces were shit, the entire engine rendered like shit, BUT NONE OF THAT MATTERED!  COMMUNITY was and is the only redeeming factor of pre-cu.  If you think for a second the only people that whined that their game, their community was driven in the ground by stupid executive decisions, were the Jedi's that spent a lot of time gaining the gift of the Jedi from holocrons you are 100% wrong.

    ~ Signed - A memory in the past
















    I'll just quote @Hashbrick because I over 90% agree with him.














    Your like one of those people, who say in eq, eq was better when they use to force you to ride that glitch boat that took over a hour some times longer, even longer if you fell off, was a good idea.........












    Not sure how you equate bugs with flawed designs, of which the NGE was about as flawed as it is possible to be, although, to be fair the NGE did also introduce a ton of bugs into a game that already had more than its fair share, many of which managed to survive until the game was shut down.
    I know it might be painful, but its really past time to move on from the whole NGE debacle, which when you really get down to it, the only positive thing the NGE achieved, is that it became an object lesson for developers :o










    Well I haven't hit a bug yet on the emulated nge server, and I dont recall any when I use to play on live either, so what bugs did NGE introduce? I hit massive bugs on the pre cu emulated server, and in the live version. See how that works. All games have bugs, and as for flawed designed pre  cu was flawed badly thats why they changed it. Who are you to say I should move past it, I think they are both very relevant to what i do. You should obviously let them go, you don't play either of them, so why are you even here. I haven't seen one person that actually plays SWG any more, I seen alot of people with memories from 10 years ago that dont equal reality, but no one here apparently besides me has any recent play time with it. Live doesn't even matter any more because its gone and never coming back, but the 2 emulators are still here, and doing fine. 

    So every one in here shit talking, its kinda funny, because none of you even play the game. By your picture I assume you play eve, neither SWG emu, or NGE are anything like what eve online is, which is a open world, full loot pvp game in space.  

    Here is another huge difference between the too, pre cu let you explore the world, so does NGE, but there was no real connection with why you were going to do anything you just made up your own. In NGE, the quest line takes you to familiar places, and talks about the movies. Makes you feel apart of the universe. 

    Good thing is too, in NGE if you dont want to feel apart of the universe, you can go back to mind numbing, click a mission run out to a random place deal with the slow combat, run back, do it again and again and again and again and again. Guess you guys like that grind I forget some people like to do the same thing over and over and over and over, must be a symptom of the average work people do in the day time. 
    Post edited by hatefulpeace on
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace nyMember UncommonPosts: 621

    Tiller said:

    As soon as I saw the OP mention "fake news" I knew he was trollin. Next!


    Just search google for FTL SWG EMU server youll find it. 
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace nyMember UncommonPosts: 621
    edited April 19




    NGE existed for a lot longer then PreCU. It had loads of content added and was improved upon for long.
    I hated NGE at first, but came back a few years later when a lot had changed. I always loved being a trader in SWG and that was basically destroyed at first. But they expanded the crafting a lot afterwards and when they also brought back empire vs rebels city invasions etc, I was sold.
    Oh and spacecombat with those multiplayer ships was awesome.

    Anyway, at that point, the only thing I still missed was the skill system. (Well and hoping for a better engine, because that was really showing its age in ground combat).

    To be fair, ground combat is kind of shit in any implementation of SWG. The engine is utterly crap for a 3d game (there is no real z axis). But who played SWG just for the combat. For me it definately was the sum of all those features the game offered (top crafting, space combat, player housing, player cities, content creation system , bounty hunting)





    I dono I dont think the game looks to bad. It is def better looking than, EQ, Anarchy online, about the same as ryzom. Minus that guys head that got stuck in the screen shot lol, it would look better if I could figure out how to force aa with a radeon card but I cant. 
    Post edited by hatefulpeace on
  • TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 5,946




    Tiller said:


    As soon as I saw the OP mention "fake news" I knew he was trollin. Next!




    Far from trolling, I think the people who claim that Pre cu swg was gods gift to the world are trolling. 


    Everyone likes something different; I think all three versions had their pluses and minuses.

    My Steam

    My Soundcloud
    SWG pre-cu vet, elder Jedi, elder BH -Bloodfin




  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace nyMember UncommonPosts: 621
    edited April 19
    Yep Crafting sure was broken in NGE, mind you there is a one account limit, so all these are from a couple of people. Crafting so broken in fact these people decided to do this. You know to get all those useless crafting materials, to crafting in the useless broken crafting system, that was broke in NGE. 
    Post edited by hatefulpeace on
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 12,518
    Well OP SWTOR graphics look really dated to me so they did not do much in that area either.However yeah SWG looked real old and just bad and why i never got much into it.

    I find there is a large number of gamer's who just get giddy over space ships and space type games that will accept any really bad game.
    Me personally,i don't get giddy over any genre,i simply look for games i consider to be of good quality and lots of depth and ideas.I couldn't care less if there was a space ship or not or if there were pets or dual wielding,just give me a good game.

    Nothing before FFXI held my interest at all,graphics were not good enough yet and nothing else was very unique or amazing.So until FFXI arrived i was way more happy playing fps's and single player games.Point being,i can understand to those space ship junkies how SWG would seem good or Kotor or SWTOR but to me,they were not that good.
    IMO the only thing they did wrong with SWG was target the wrong areas to change/improve but the game definitely needed improving.

    I find that space games SHOULD be about 300% tougher to make than a regular Fantasy mmorpg but are not because devs are aiming at the very cheapest core design that a space game can offer,which is cheap star/space type maps and first person view cockpits with not much else.Space games should not be defined as in space 24/7,they should be on planets with the ability to launch into space and discover other planets/races.
    NOBODY is making a proper space game and Chris Roberts will not either,so devs are just looking for a cheap easy platform to make a game.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace nyMember UncommonPosts: 621

    Tiller said:








    Tiller said:



    As soon as I saw the OP mention "fake news" I knew he was trollin. Next!






    Far from trolling, I think the people who claim that Pre cu swg was gods gift to the world are trolling. 




    Everyone likes something different; I think all three versions had their pluses and minuses.


    Very true, I obviously like NGE. I had all 3 but, I uninstalled all of them but NGE. 
  • HashbrickHashbrick Green Bay, WIMember UncommonPosts: 1,243

    Good thing is too, in NGE if you dont want to feel apart of the universe, you can go back to mind numbing, click a mission run out to a random place deal with the slow combat, run back, do it again and again and again and again and again. Guess you guys like that grind I forget some people like to do the same thing over and over and over and over, must be a symptom of the average work people do in the day time. 


    Not sure what you are still going on about, you didn't need to grind you didn't need to anything you didn't want to.  Again it was the COMMUNITY that was awesome about pre-cu, no one is saying the engine or anything about the game was awesome. It was what we dealt with it.  The ideals of SWG, the tools available to the community is what died with NGE.  I'm glad you find it fun but most of us "veterans" do not.
    I'm a simple man spoiled from MMOs of the old age.  Looking for a home but deserted.  My heart and time is not worthy for the MMOs of the new age.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace nyMember UncommonPosts: 621
    edited April 19


    Wizardry said:


    Well OP SWTOR graphics look really dated to me so they did not do much in that area either.However yeah SWG looked real old and just bad and why i never got much into it.

    I find there is a large number of gamer's who just get giddy over space ships and space type games that will accept any really bad game.
    Me personally,i don't get giddy over any genre,i simply look for games i consider to be of good quality and lots of depth and ideas.I couldn't care less if there was a space ship or not or if there were pets or dual wielding,just give me a good game.

    Nothing before FFXI held my interest at all,graphics were not good enough yet and nothing else was very unique or amazing.So until FFXI arrived i was way more happy playing fps's and single player games.Point being,i can understand to those space ship junkies how SWG would seem good or Kotor or SWTOR but to me,they were not that good.
    IMO the only thing they did wrong with SWG was target the wrong areas to change/improve but the game definitely needed improving.

    I find that space games SHOULD be about 300% tougher to make than a regular Fantasy mmorpg but are not because devs are aiming at the very cheapest core design that a space game can offer,which is cheap star/space type maps and first person view cockpits with not much else.Space games should not be defined as in space 24/7,they should be on planets with the ability to launch into space and discover other planets/races.
    NOBODY is making a proper space game and Chris Roberts will not either,so devs are just looking for a cheap easy platform to make a game.




    SWG isnt really a space game, the space part is just part of it. SWG is the most in depth game I ever played, minus Ryzom. SWTOR is 100 percent not a space game, there are only 2 times u go into space, one in the short linear missions against npcs, and a few of the maps for weird space ship fighting pvp are in space. You def are on a planet in SWG most of the time, with the ability to launch into space, though there isnt any planet exploring. That kinda gets boring if you ask me, because most of the time the planets are random generated and end up being garbage.  There are a couple games that do that right if thats your thing, star bound is one of them, and the other one is empryion, and maybe stellaris if you like grand 4x games. 

    Yeah the graphics aren't up to date with like Dying Light, but as far as MMOS go they aren't the worst. Besides they are good enough to not matter. I find if I play games for graphics they get boring, and stupid, like Black desert online, the only reason I played it was cause of the graphics. 
    Post edited by hatefulpeace on
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace nyMember UncommonPosts: 621
    edited April 19



    Hashbrick said:







    Good thing is too, in NGE if you dont want to feel apart of the universe, you can go back to mind numbing, click a mission run out to a random place deal with the slow combat, run back, do it again and again and again and again and again. Guess you guys like that grind I forget some people like to do the same thing over and over and over and over, must be a symptom of the average work people do in the day time. 








    Not sure what you are still going on about, you didn't need to grind you didn't need to anything you didn't want to.  Again it was the COMMUNITY that was awesome about pre-cu, no one is saying the engine or anything about the game was awesome. It was what we dealt with it.  The ideals of SWG, the tools available to the community is what died with NGE.  I'm glad you find it fun but most of us "veterans" do not.






    haha your the one who came into my post, which was about saying NGE was better. I don't believe you when you say the community was better, those are just memories from 15 years ago, that mean nothing. I remember a bunch of retarded people in that game running around asking for credits, they would let you do anything to their character. I also remember a bunch of spam, like all the time about the most stupidest things. 

    As far as community goes, they were good people pre cu, and there were retarded people, it is the same as any game. Basically what you just said was, it doesnt matter what game, garbage game or not if you got good people you can have fun haha, but than you counter dict your self, because you said the same people who were only interested in playing in a good community regardless of game features, all quit, because they added more game features.... You make 0 sense. 

    So I am gonna walk away from this with, people who scream about SWG pre cu being gods gift, are just emotional, have nothing to base anything on, but this community thing, that you are talking about, that was such a weak community they all bailed on the game when it made some changes, mind you they didn't take anything out of the game, that you couldn't still role play, or have all those things. They just took out things like forced grouping, and a needlessly complicated experience system, which according to you some how made the community better. This great community though, who didn't need features, and wasn't about anything the game in game had to offer, just the great community, all bailed when it was removed..........
    Post edited by hatefulpeace on
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 721




    Hashbrick said:





    Good thing is too, in NGE if you dont want to feel apart of the universe, you can go back to mind numbing, click a mission run out to a random place deal with the slow combat, run back, do it again and again and again and again and again. Guess you guys like that grind I forget some people like to do the same thing over and over and over and over, must be a symptom of the average work people do in the day time. 






    Not sure what you are still going on about, you didn't need to grind you didn't need to anything you didn't want to.  Again it was the COMMUNITY that was awesome about pre-cu, no one is saying the engine or anything about the game was awesome. It was what we dealt with it.  The ideals of SWG, the tools available to the community is what died with NGE.  I'm glad you find it fun but most of us "veterans" do not.




    haha your the one who came into my post, which was about saying NGE was better. I don't believe you when you say the community was better, those are just memories from 15 years ago, that mean nothing. I remember a bunch of retarded people in that game running around asking for credits, they would let you do anything to their character. I also remember a bunch of spam, like all the time about the most stupidest things. 

    As far as community goes, they were good people pre cu, and there were retarded people, it is the same as any game. Basically what you just said was, it doesnt matter what game, garbage game or not if you got good people you can have fun haha, but than you counter dict your self, because you said the same people who were only interested in playing in a good community regardless of game features, all quit, because they added more game features.... You make 0 sense. 


    No. Actually he said in spite of some problems, such as the engine, that it was because of the "Ideals and tools available" that the game allowed a strong community to exist.
    The CU weakened the community by removing some of the features and caused some to leave. Then the NGE stripped out many more and caused a mass exodus.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Green Bay, WIMember UncommonPosts: 1,243

    Thourne said:








    Hashbrick said:







    Good thing is too, in NGE if you dont want to feel apart of the universe, you can go back to mind numbing, click a mission run out to a random place deal with the slow combat, run back, do it again and again and again and again and again. Guess you guys like that grind I forget some people like to do the same thing over and over and over and over, must be a symptom of the average work people do in the day time. 








    Not sure what you are still going on about, you didn't need to grind you didn't need to anything you didn't want to.  Again it was the COMMUNITY that was awesome about pre-cu, no one is saying the engine or anything about the game was awesome. It was what we dealt with it.  The ideals of SWG, the tools available to the community is what died with NGE.  I'm glad you find it fun but most of us "veterans" do not.






    haha your the one who came into my post, which was about saying NGE was better. I don't believe you when you say the community was better, those are just memories from 15 years ago, that mean nothing. I remember a bunch of retarded people in that game running around asking for credits, they would let you do anything to their character. I also remember a bunch of spam, like all the time about the most stupidest things. 

    As far as community goes, they were good people pre cu, and there were retarded people, it is the same as any game. Basically what you just said was, it doesnt matter what game, garbage game or not if you got good people you can have fun haha, but than you counter dict your self, because you said the same people who were only interested in playing in a good community regardless of game features, all quit, because they added more game features.... You make 0 sense. 




    No. Actually he said in spite of some problems, such as the engine, that it was because of the "Ideals and tools available" that the game allowed a strong community to exist.
    The CU weakened the community by removing some of the features and caused some to leave. Then the NGE stripped out many more and caused a mass exodus.


    Thank you for drilling the point home, I'm glad someone understands
    I'm a simple man spoiled from MMOs of the old age.  Looking for a home but deserted.  My heart and time is not worthy for the MMOs of the new age.
  • gir243gir243 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    My opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.
Sign In or Register to comment.