Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Female armor in mmorpgs!

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited April 2017

Flyte27 said:

This may be true, but from my perspective, I preferred entertainment the way it was.  There are too many morally sound people in entertainment in this day and age.  People who are screwed up and shown in a light other than villain are non-existant.

Flyte, I'm not sure how old you are but I can assure you there have always been "morally sound" people in entertainment. It's always ebbed and flowed from conservative to more liberal representations.

And way before you were born I might add. That's why I'm saying don't buy into this whole "NOWADAYS THINGS ARE TOO PC!" argument. That's just a new branding of what has gone on for years.

I'm pretty sure that there were people at the start of the victorian era lamenting the romanticism of the Georgian era!

Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Flyte27 said:

Iselin said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Of course, I'm just one person and I'm sure the majority will want women with normal armor in this day and age of PC.

I don't think it's any different now then it was years ago.

I guess it depends on the game, but I see a lot more games with strong females who have fairly average figures and wear the outfits that males would have predominately wore.  They also take on the persona's of the male characters but usually aren't as interesting IMO.  A good example would Mass Effect Andromeda.  Another I've been playing through is Gears of War 4.  I believe the new Tomb Raider (Rise of the Tomb Raider) has a fairly heavily clothed Laura Croft.  Ciri from the Witcher 3 is shown to be like a male swashbuckler in many ways.  I'm sure I could come up with many more examples.  Jessica Jones from the Netflix series is like this as well.

So which PC conspiracy exactly was it that led to Wonder Woman in 1941? 

To me, the original Wonder Woman was just another sex symbol.  That is probably not the case with the new version.  Regardless the 1940s and 50s were much more sexist than the time period I grew up in which was the 80s and 90s.  Women were already fighting to try and make entertainment more dull in the 90s and succeeded in the 2000s.

Nah. She was kicking ass long before it was fashionable. Probably motivated by this famous poster:

Or you can go back to ancient Greece for the Amazon warrior myths if you prefer. 

There's very little new about fantasy warrior women.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Sovrath said:

To be fair there have been more than a few guys in skimpy armor as well. Look at He-man and beast master.

As well as Conan, Kull, Tarzan, John Carter and don't forget the Gor series.

The funny part with Conan is, it really didn't become that way until Frazetta took over painting covers. Most of Howard's actual writing had Conan dressed in armors, silken robes, Turbans and tunics,   etc... Depending on where he was. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:

Sovrath said:

To be fair there have been more than a few guys in skimpy armor as well. Look at He-man and beast master.

As well as Conan, Kull, Tarzan, John Carter and don't forget the Gor series.

The funny part with Conan is, it really didn't become that way until Frazetta took over painting covers. Most of Howard's actual writing had Conan dressed in armors, silken robes, Turbans and tunics,   etc... Depending on where he was. 

Didn't know that (or didn't remember, I'm sure I've read a few of those books). Thanks!

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Of course, I'm just one person and I'm sure the majority will want women with normal armor in this day and age of PC.

I guess it depends on the game, but I see a lot more games with strong females who have fairly average figures and wear the outfits that males would have predominately wore.  They also take on the persona's of the male characters but usually aren't as interesting IMO.  A good example would Mass Effect Andromeda.  Another I've been playing through is Gears of War 4.  I believe the new Tomb Raider (Rise of the Tomb Raider) has a fairly heavily clothed Laura Croft.  Ciri from the Witcher 3 is shown to be like a male swashbuckler in many ways.  I'm sure I could come up with many more examples.  Jessica Jones from the Netflix series is like this as well.

Just because older content showed "skimpier" clothing doesn't mean that there weren't people who wanted "normal" clothing.

Look, I'm all for the saucier pulp fiction covers or for the old pinup posters but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a whole segment of people, possibly a good many women (?), who wanted more representation based on their preferences.

I mean, who was making these decisions? Well, most likely men. And a very specific segment of men.

And while, on the one hand it's very fun in a healthy "let's get get in touch with our adolescent selves" way, to have skimpy, sexy representations of people, that still doesn't mitigate the idea that one person's idea of how women and men should be represented doesn't speak for everyone.

How "covered" a person should be has always ebbed and flowed over time. "PC" is just the newest popular brand name. Give it a few years and things will swing back. And then they will swing back again.

In the meantime women in "regular" clothing represents a segment of the population and why shouldn't they be represented?

This may be true, but from my perspective, I preferred entertainment the way it was.  There are too many morally sound people in entertainment in this day and age.  People who are screwed up and shown in a light other than villain are non-existant.

Flyte, I'm not sure how old you are but I can assure you there have always been "morally sound" people in entertainment. It's always ebbed and flowed from conservative to more liberal representations.

And way before you were born I might add. That's why I'm saying don't buy into this whole "NOWADAYS THINGS ARE TOO PC!" argument. That's just a new branding of what has gone on for years.

I'm pretty sure that there were people at the start of the victorian era lamenting the romanticism of the Georgian era!

I'm sure you are correct.  I just preferred the way things were in the 80s and 90s compared to today.  I'm sure there are many people who prefer this atmosphere of learning and go go go.  I prefer more goofy entertainment and relaxed atmosphere.  While it's true there are instances of woman as warriors in the past it is rare and woman has never really dominated society as a whole until now that I know of.  I find a woman taking on the roles of male characters to be very bland.  Why don't they create their own characters instead of putting a female twist on male characters?  They just feel wrong to me when I watch them and they are almost in every fantasy show on TV or in every game now.  If things are not too PC they are too oriented towards boring characters IMO.  Everything I watch seems to be trying to push a certain message on how to behave.  In the 80s and 90s (not sure about 60s and 70s) a message was being pushed about how to be free from society and do what you want.  That included any delinquent entertainment you want.  Now we are bogged down by all these rules on how to behave.  It seems like all that freedom that was fought for is flushed down the toilet.  Every entertainment has to be non-offensive to all people and send a positive message.  You can't just have something that is just for pure fun.  It's always about pushing the moral code and family values.

Iselin said:

Flyte27 said:

Iselin said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

So which PC conspiracy exactly was it that led to Wonder Woman in 1941? 

To me, the original Wonder Woman was just another sex symbol.  That is probably not the case with the new version.  Regardless the 1940s and 50s were much more sexist than the time period I grew up in which was the 80s and 90s.  Women were already fighting to try and make entertainment more dull in the 90s and succeeded in the 2000s.

Nah. She was kicking ass long before it was fashionable. Probably motivated by this famous poster:

Or you can go back to ancient Greece for the Amazon warrior myths if you prefer. 

There's very little new about fantasy warrior women.

You put up a few posters, but I could come up with many examples of movies and sexual exploitation from that time period.  The 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s are loaded with them.  Wonder woman was wearing basically what was a skimpy bikini at the time.  If you watched the TV series she was fairly sexualized.  That poster may be referring to something during the war.  I know there were times woman had to take on male roles in history during wars because all the men were out fighting and dying.  There was no one to fill the jobs.  I believe this was during World War 2 especially.  Both the American women and the Russian women had to help with building machines.  Amazons are a rare thing and they had no men in their society.  If you watch old Amazon flicks they were mostly sexual exploitation flicks as well.

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Just because older content showed "skimpier" clothing doesn't mean that there weren't people who wanted "normal" clothing.

Look, I'm all for the saucier pulp fiction covers or for the old pinup posters but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a whole segment of people, possibly a good many women (?), who wanted more representation based on their preferences.

I mean, who was making these decisions? Well, most likely men. And a very specific segment of men.

And while, on the one hand it's very fun in a healthy "let's get get in touch with our adolescent selves" way, to have skimpy, sexy representations of people, that still doesn't mitigate the idea that one person's idea of how women and men should be represented doesn't speak for everyone.

How "covered" a person should be has always ebbed and flowed over time. "PC" is just the newest popular brand name. Give it a few years and things will swing back. And then they will swing back again.

In the meantime women in "regular" clothing represents a segment of the population and why shouldn't they be represented?

I'm sure you are correct.  I just preferred the way things were in the 80s and 90s compared to today.  I'm sure there are many people who prefer this atmosphere of learning and go go go.  I prefer more goofy entertainment and relaxed atmosphere.  While it's true there are instances of woman as warriors in the past it is rare and woman has never really dominated society as a whole until now that I know of.  I find a woman taking on the roles of male characters to be very bland.  Why don't they create their own characters instead of putting a female twist on male characters?  They just feel wrong to me when I watch them and they are almost in every fantasy show on TV or in every game now.  If things are not too PC they are too oriented towards boring characters IMO.  Everything I watch seems to be trying to push a certain message on how to behave.  In the 80s and 90s (not sure about 60s and 70s) a message was being pushed about how to be free from society and do what you want.  That included any delinquent entertainment you want.  Now we are bogged down by all these rules on how to behave.  It seems like all that freedom that was fought for is flushed down the toilet.  Every entertainment has to be non-offensive to all people and send a positive message.  You can't just have something that is just for pure fun.  It's always about pushing the moral code and family values.

You should read up on the 50's lol. Those 60's and 70's you missed? They were a rebellion against the ultra-conformist 50's.

It all started with the devil's rock music in the 50's though :) 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Its a fantasy game, if it were real, there would be no women in armor, because no women fought in armor, especially plate armor. Plate armor is hard to put on for one, and for 2, they never took it off, so it would be more nasty than men pissing and shitting in their armor due to period blood. It is one thing for a women to fight in a modern military, quite another thing for a women to fight in a mid evil army. Besides women dont get drafted to the military anyways so that ends that, women get sexy armor in video games. When women get drafted into military service we can talk about real armor for them. 
    edited April 2017

I'd like to know when growing past TnA as a selling point became PC... I just find it incredibly juvenile marketing, playing to the immature traits in men that many never outgrow. PB mags and the like are one thing (at least they're real), taking it to pixels is something else entirely though. I don't think that's being PC, SJW or anything else, as it's not about feminism, or finding it disgusting, it's just for 15 year olds. 

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Like I said, "pushing moral code/family values" has already been done ... severalllll times and will go away and come back again and again.

As far as women "taking on male roles" I have to say, I have a female friend who absolutely LOVES the idea of being a kickass "buffy the vampire slayer" or "wonder woman". She finds this very empowering. Doesn't have anything to do with any current trends, she was always like this.

So you said that you like entertainment that's not bogged down by rules and is "fun". Well, women are enjoying not being "bogged down" and actually "having fun".

You say that they should have "their own" characters but you are assuming that they should want something "else" as opposed to wanting to join in the fun of being an Amazon warrior or space marine.

Amathe said:

Personally, i'm all for sexy armor. But there should be an option for people to wear something more realistic and less risque. 

Realistic....... Yep cause there were just millions of women in those ancient times wearing full plate armor. 

Iselin said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

You should read up on the 50's lol. Those 60's and 70's you missed? They were a rebellion against the ultra-conformist 50's.

Sexism existed possible even more heavily before the Devil's Rock music even if there was a lot of conformity.  All you have to do is watch some movies from the 40s and before to see that.  

The Devil's music is what I'm talking about with this day and age.  Music is actually a good example of what's going on now.  It is very monotone and about peace and happiness.  You don't have much in the way of rock n roll, heavy, metal, grunge, etc. with the new generations.  They are taught this is toxic and other things are toxic in schools.  It is the message they are sent.  I really love out of control music.  My parents never understood and I'm sure the current generation doesn't either.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

Amathe said:

Personally, i'm all for sexy armor. But there should be an option for people to wear something more realistic and less risque. 

Realistic....... Yep cause there were just millions of women in those ancient times wearing full plate armor. 

I agree if you show me one magician, elf, goblin, troll, giant, dragon, armies wearing the same style of clothing etc. in those ancient times. 
    edited April 2017

There were plenty of female warriors dating all the way back to the Ancient Roman era (be them Britons, Germanic, Celts, vikings etc...), it's a sure fire bet they weren't running around in string bikinis for the most part. They may not have had Full plate (most armies didn't as it only suited a certain kind of fighting style). Yet they surely used protective gear. Few if any armies had millions of warriors btw in ancient times.... 

Flyte27 said:

Iselin said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sexism existed possible even more heavily before the Devil's Rock music even if there was a lot of conformity.  All you have to do is watch some movies from the 40s and before to see that.  

The Devil's music is what I'm talking about with this day and age.  Music is actually a good example of what's going on now.  It is very monotone and about peace and happiness.  You don't have much in the way of rock n roll, heavy, metal, grunge, etc. with the new generations.  They are taught this is toxic and other things are toxic in schools.  It is the message they are sent.  I really love out of control music.  My parents never understood and I'm sure the current generation doesn't either.

Yeah but what about the liberating 20's for women?

As far as music, the music of the 50's was "fun" and didn't' have an edge. What about the music of the 80's? Same thing.

Medieval music in the west was sacred until we get to the rocking Renaissance.

The thing is you are only seeing things form a very narrow perspective. Trust me, things will eventually swing back. They always have and always will.

Sovrath said:

As far as music, the music of the 50's was "fun" and didn't' have an edge. What about the music of the 80's? Same thing.

Eh Thrash, Speed metal, death metal, Punk, Hardcore, etc... called. :P

Distopia said:

Sovrath said:

Pfft... derivative stuff. The real music was in the 60's and 70's :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

Distopia said:

Sovrath said:

you can like what you like, but I was responding to 80's music having no "edge".. :)

edited April 2017

Distopia said:

Iselin said:

Distopia said:

Sovrath said:

you can like what you like, but I was responding to 80's music having no "edge".. :)

So was I :)

But seriously... there has been great rock in every decade. It's just a bit harder to find in some. IMO, the 60's and early 70's were unique in that studios lost control despite always trying to impose their own bland pop bands. They got it back to a large extent in 80's and 90's shoving good hard rock to the fringes for a while.

These days with digital distribution and self-publishing there is a lot of good new stuff too. Just not in top-40 stations like it was in the 60's and 70's.

It's the history of Rock going all the way back to the 50's and early 60's when the studios were trying to push Ricky Nelson as the "good Elvis." 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Flyte27 said:

I like skimpy female armor and attractive females myself, but I don't generally play as them.  I'd be fine if they were just NPCs or there was an option on what to wear.  I don't think realism should matter here as there weren't many women fighting during the time periods represented in these games due to sheer physical strength being what mattered the most in combat.  Of course, I'm just one person and I'm sure the majority will want women with normal armor in this day and age of PC.

While men in their 20s and 30s tend to be physically stronger than other demographics (women or other age ranges), that's peculiar to humans on Earth.  It's untrue of a lot of other real-life species, even, so there's no reason to expect it to be true of fantasy races, even in a game that strives for some sort of realism.

Distopia said:

Sovrath said:

Yeah but that wasn't pop music. It sort of felt like the 80's were trying to channel the 50's in sensibility.

But good point, there certainly was another side to "the scene".

Quizzical said:

Flyte27 said:

I like skimpy female armor and attractive females myself, but I don't generally play as them.  I'd be fine if they were just NPCs or there was an option on what to wear.  I don't think realism should matter here as there weren't many women fighting during the time periods represented in these games due to sheer physical strength being what mattered the most in combat.  Of course, I'm just one person and I'm sure the majority will want women with normal armor in this day and age of PC.

While men in their 20s and 30s tend to be physically stronger than other demographics (women or other age ranges), that's peculiar to humans on Earth.  It's untrue of a lot of other real-life species, even, so there's no reason to expect it to be true of fantasy races, even in a game that strives for some sort of realism.

Not to mention that once you add magic into the mix the need for physical prowess goes out the window.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

So was I :)

But seriously... there has been great rock in every decade. It's just a bit harder to find in some. IMO, the 60's and early 70's were unique in that studios lost control despite always trying to impose their own bland pop bands. They got it back to a large extent in 80's and 90's shoving good hard rock to the fringes for a while.

These days with digital distribution and self-publishing there is a lot of good new stuff too. Just not in top-40 stations like it was in the 60's and 70's.

It's the history of Rock going all the way back to the 50's and early 60's when the studios were trying to push Ricky Nelson as the "good Elvis." 

Too true, it was a good time for radio rock back then, and not so much going forward. 

ALso agreed about the many platforms available today, it's much easier to find the good stuff (for just about any taste) than it was before.

I thought the music in the 80s was pretty vibrant.  It was quite fast paced compared to the music of today.  I'll agree it wasn't hard music like some early rock and heavy metal.
    edited April 2017
    Why do people think women wearing skimpy cloths is sexism. God you people lack all history lessons I guess. It is a symbol of womens freedom, women use to be forced all over the world to wear non revealing cloths, the Muslims  still do force them to do it. So quit with the ignorance and spewing of garbage, because its worse than Muslims and their garbage bags they force women to wear.