Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to the game (Klingon lvl 5) and looking for a good starter ship.

mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
Title pretty much says it all. I'm very new and have never played before. There's about a million and one ships in the cash shop, and I'm looking for one that will do the best job for leveling. Also any other useful information for a noob would be great. 

Cheers

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Don't buy any ships from the cash shop.  You get free ship upgrades at every 10 levels.  They are just as good as the cash shop ships minus a couple of gimmicky consoles and different exterior graphics.  I have never had any problems leveling or competing with the ships I earned through game play.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Ahh strange, I thought I had read somewhere that you can get some ships that make leveling a lot easier.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

mcrippins said:

Ahh strange, I thought I had read somewhere that you can get some ships that make leveling a lot easier.

mehh ... may make it a bit easier but honestly you can get right to 50 without spending a dine in shop , wiht the ships and crew you aquire thru game ... But , there are some very cool ships with additional Skills attached to them , wether they be attk/Def/ supp...   Also game doesnt really take off till ealry 30s .. so stick it out till then .. AT 50 it is a very deep game , with lots to do imo ...If you enjoy the ST universe..
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Scorchien said:

mcrippins said:

mehh ... may make it a bit easier but honestly you can get right to 50 without spending a dine in shop , wiht the ships and crew you aquire thru game ... But , there are some very cool ships with additional Skills attached to them , wether they be attk/Def/ supp...   Also game doesnt really take off till ealry 30s .. so stick it out till then .. AT 50 it is a very deep game , with lots to do imo ...If you enjoy the ST universe..

I appreciate the info - guess I'll just keep on trek'n hehe. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Yep, what others wrote above. STO's model is really friendly all the way to the cap, you can play that part absolutely free - and even at the cap, if you are just playing casually. However, if you want "real" endgame, the free stuff might won't be enough...

For ships in particular, you really shouldn't spend money on them during the story. You get free ones during the promotions, and in fact if you also participate in some events (they are very frequent) or add some giveaway ships (mmorpg.com used to dish out codes quite often), your problem won't be the lack of ships, on the contrary :wink:  to choose the ships you let go, for making room to the new ones.

I don't think Vorth's statement is entirely accurate ("They are just as good as the cash shop ships minus a couple of gimmicky consoles and different exterior graphics."), cash shop and lockbox ships are better, but not that much. As said above, if you just play casually, you are fine with the free and event ships.
    And if you want more, you can buy lockbox ships from the AH... or even cash shop ships, if you trade your dilly for zen.
    But that's only a choice for the end, what the thread question was (cash ship for levelling), the answer is a clear "don't do that, it's pointless" :wink:  Lowbie cash shop ships are mostly for collectors, or for their cosmetic looks.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    mcrippins said:
    Title pretty much says it all. I'm very new and have never played before. There's about a million and one ships in the cash shop, and I'm looking for one that will do the best job for leveling. Also any other useful information for a noob would be great. 

Cheers
    I would suggest a carrier they have made the smaller ships with better AIs now. They also made them better to control. 

I personally picked the Tier 5 version of the Orion carrier called the Marauder but I've also wanted to try the Kar'Fi carrier it looks amazing!

The Marauder minis do a great job of debuffing enemies I never seem to have issues in this ship. My Klink is a tactical.

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Carriers are great imo. I love the T5 carriers even moreso than the T6 because they do quite well. For some reason, Klink ships have an easier time than Fed ships with defense.