Darkfall: Rise of Agon - How Agon Is Rising to the Challenge - MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member UncommonPosts: 66

    Dullahan said:

    Aside from some of the multi-binding, those changes run contrary to the spirit of the game. There needs to be local economies for Darkfall to have microcosms throughout the world. Otherwise, a single clan can dominate every corner of the map. This is something we begged AV for back in the original beta, but they failed to implement. To have local economies, naturally there can't be fast travel. The game was designed so that each part of the world has unique people, economies and ruling clans, and fast travel only destroys that aspect.

    Beyond that, the other changes BPG have made are nothing but shallow conveniences that will have a negative impact on the sandbox aspect of the game. One might say, they are failing to see the big picture. By making harvesting faster, you make it so everyone harvests and crafts their own stuff. That kills the economy and the aspect of the game that will appeal to players who want to engage in crafting, provisioning for a clan, or commerce.

    BPG just doesn't get it, and if/when ND is up an running, there will be a mass exodus away from RoA.


    Aha, yeah I suspected this. Typical nd "fanboy" responses. I've been around since 2002 when DF was first announced and I can solidly say you are not in the majority when it comes to the changes needed. I'm not going to argue as it's pointless to try and have a civil conversation with someone who can't. I'll just say wait and see, my friend, wait and see ;)
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,310
    edited April 17







    Dullahan said:



    Aside from some of the multi-binding, those changes run contrary to the spirit of the game. There needs to be local economies for Darkfall to have microcosms throughout the world. Otherwise, a single clan can dominate every corner of the map. This is something we begged AV for back in the original beta, but they failed to implement. To have local economies, naturally there can't be fast travel. The game was designed so that each part of the world has unique people, economies and ruling clans, and fast travel only destroys that aspect.

    Beyond that, the other changes BPG have made are nothing but shallow conveniences that will have a negative impact on the sandbox aspect of the game. One might say, they are failing to see the big picture. By making harvesting faster, you make it so everyone harvests and crafts their own stuff. That kills the economy and the aspect of the game that will appeal to players who want to engage in crafting, provisioning for a clan, or commerce.

    BPG just doesn't get it, and if/when ND is up an running, there will be a mass exodus away from RoA.






    Aha, yeah I suspected this. Typical nd "fanboy" responses. I've been around since 2002 when DF was first announced and I can solidly say you are not in the majority when it comes to the changes needed. I'm not going to argue as it's pointless to try and have a civil conversation with someone who can't. I'll just say wait and see, my friend, wait and see ;)




    You're living in your hardcore echo chamber. Every new convenience that further removes Darkfall from a sandbox virtual world is heralded by your tiny subset of players. Yes, in fact local banks was the norm if you read any forums "back in 2002", and in fact it was something AV promised among many other things they did not (or more likely, could not) deliver on.

    Go back and consult the original dev diaries of Claus on the wayback machine and prepare to have your mind blown just how far off Darkfall was from the original vision. Now, RoA is moving it even further into Counterstrike territory, and away from anything that could possibly make it fun for normal MMO players not interested in growing a neckbeard and sieging clans at 4am.
    Post edited by Dullahan on


  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,421
    Is one of the 2 versions going to be more focused on crafting than the other?
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member UncommonPosts: 66

    Dullahan said:











    Dullahan said:




    Aside from some of the multi-binding, those changes run contrary to the spirit of the game. There needs to be local economies for Darkfall to have microcosms throughout the world. Otherwise, a single clan can dominate every corner of the map. This is something we begged AV for back in the original beta, but they failed to implement. To have local economies, naturally there can't be fast travel. The game was designed so that each part of the world has unique people, economies and ruling clans, and fast travel only destroys that aspect.

    Beyond that, the other changes BPG have made are nothing but shallow conveniences that will have a negative impact on the sandbox aspect of the game. One might say, they are failing to see the big picture. By making harvesting faster, you make it so everyone harvests and crafts their own stuff. That kills the economy and the aspect of the game that will appeal to players who want to engage in crafting, provisioning for a clan, or commerce.

    BPG just doesn't get it, and if/when ND is up an running, there will be a mass exodus away from RoA.








    Aha, yeah I suspected this. Typical nd "fanboy" responses. I've been around since 2002 when DF was first announced and I can solidly say you are not in the majority when it comes to the changes needed. I'm not going to argue as it's pointless to try and have a civil conversation with someone who can't. I'll just say wait and see, my friend, wait and see ;)






    You're living in your hardcore echo chamber. Every new convenience that further removes Darkfall from a sandbox virtual world is heralded by your tiny subset of players. Yes, in fact local banks was the norm if you read any forums "back in 2002", and in fact it was something AV promised among many other things they did not (or more likely, could not) deliver on.

    Go back and consult the original dev diaries of Claus on the wayback machine and prepare to have your mind blown just how far off Darkfall was from the original vision. Now, RoA is moving it even further into Counterstrike territory, and away from anything that could possibly make it fun for normal MMO players not interested in growing a neckbeard and sieging clans at 4am.


    Ugh.. 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member UncommonPosts: 66

    Forgrimm said:

    Is one of the 2 versions going to be more focused on crafting than the other?


    BPG is working on crafting overhauls right now and post launch and from what I gather reading their forums will work in even bigger more advanced changes as time goes on.
  • KimoshuKimoshu Beverly Hills, CAMember UncommonPosts: 14

    DAS1337 said:

    What do you call it then, when you need to select a spell first before you cast it?  I call it pre-loading a spell.  I played the game.  I know how it works.  In games today, (unless it's a console port) you only need to press a hotkey associated with the spell(usually loaded into a hotbar), and the spell/ability fires immediately. 

    Now, perhaps something changed, but the last time I played Darkfall, you had to load the spell with a button press, THEN use another button press to cast it.  That is inefficient.  As far as holding a spell and releasing it, that isn't what I was talking about.



    We've implemented and will continue to refine an in game macro system allowing you to cast on key press and set up burst keys and cycle scripts without needing a program like auto hotkey. This allows you to switch hotbars depending what weapon you select and bind as many spells, skills, items and gear you want to a single slot. It's open ended in it's design and removes the need of the old game competitive users felt to use out of game scripts. It levels the playing field and gives tons of options for customising binds.

    We're about to launch a revamped website which is split into a new and returning user to the Darkfall franchise. If you liked the idea of the original but "x" problem caused you to leave I highly recommend to check it out. Our team is almost entirely ex players so we know indepth the issues faced by users and the hidden potential of the game. The veteran section of the new website goes over all the changes that have happened in the last year since we've had our hands on the code. There was a ton of quality of life additions to bring the game up to modern standards for the UI and other tedium reducing changes. We've also addressed afk macroing, vet/newbie gap and fixed much of the alignment exploits people used to grief new players, among many other changes :).

    -Andrew
    CEO
    Big Picture Games
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,764
    edited April 18


    Kimoshu said:





    DAS1337 said:



    What do you call it then, when you need to select a spell first before you cast it?  I call it pre-loading a spell.  I played the game.  I know how it works.  In games today, (unless it's a console port) you only need to press a hotkey associated with the spell(usually loaded into a hotbar), and the spell/ability fires immediately. 

    Now, perhaps something changed, but the last time I played Darkfall, you had to load the spell with a button press, THEN use another button press to cast it.  That is inefficient.  As far as holding a spell and releasing it, that isn't what I was talking about.









    We've implemented and will continue to refine an in game macro system allowing you to cast on key press and set up burst keys and cycle scripts without needing a program like auto hotkey. This allows you to switch hotbars depending what weapon you select and bind as many spells, skills, items and gear you want to a single slot. It's open ended in it's design and removes the need of the old game competitive users felt to use out of game scripts. It levels the playing field and gives tons of options for customising binds.





    We're about to launch a revamped website which is split into a new and returning user to the Darkfall franchise. If you liked the idea of the original but "x" problem caused you to leave I highly recommend to check it out. Our team is almost entirely ex players so we know indepth the issues faced by users and the hidden potential of the game. The veteran section of the new website goes over all the changes that have happened in the last year since we've had our hands on the code. There was a ton of quality of life additions to bring the game up to modern standards for the UI and other tedium reducing changes. We've also addressed afk macroing, vet/newbie gap and fixed much of the alignment exploits people used to grief new players, among many other changes :).





    -Andrew


    CEO


    Big Picture Games




    That's great.  Now how about you post the accurate subscription price for the game post-launch on your store page?

    https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/store/

    Right now it says $4.95 per month but some in this thread insist it's actually $9.99 per month.  If you want to piss off potential new players, then by all means continue to leave out the fact that the cost of a subscription is double what you have posted your Store page currently, post-launch.  Because there's nothing that gets people more pissed then when they feel they've been mislead on how much money they're going to need to fork over to keep playing.
    Post edited by SedrynTyros on
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,421


    Kimoshu said:



    We've implemented and will continue to refine an in game macro system allowing you to cast on key press and set up burst keys and cycle scripts without needing a program like auto hotkey. This allows you to switch hotbars depending what weapon you select and bind as many spells, skills, items and gear you want to a single slot. It's open ended in it's design and removes the need of the old game competitive users felt to use out of game scripts. It levels the playing field and gives tons of options for customising binds.



    We're about to launch a revamped website which is split into a new and returning user to the Darkfall franchise. If you liked the idea of the original but "x" problem caused you to leave I highly recommend to check it out. Our team is almost entirely ex players so we know indepth the issues faced by users and the hidden potential of the game. The veteran section of the new website goes over all the changes that have happened in the last year since we've had our hands on the code. There was a ton of quality of life additions to bring the game up to modern standards for the UI and other tedium reducing changes. We've also addressed afk macroing, vet/newbie gap and fixed much of the alignment exploits people used to grief new players, among many other changes :).



    -Andrew



    CEO



    Big Picture Games




    That's great.  Now how about you post the accurate subscription price for the game post-launch on your store page?

    https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/store/

    Right now it says $4.95 per month but some in this thread insist it's actually $9.99 per month.  If you want to piss off potential new players, then by all means continue to leave out the fact that the cost of a subscription is double what you have posted your Store page currently, post-launch.  Because there's nothing that gets people more pissed then when they feel they've been mislead on how much money they're going to need to fork over to keep playing.


    From the FAQ: https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/game-info/faq/general/

    The monthly subscription for Darkfall: Rise of Agon will be $14.95 USD at launch. Discount packages will be available as well for reduced monthly subscriptions.

  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,764

    Forgrimm said:





    Kimoshu said:




    We've implemented and will continue to refine an in game macro system allowing you to cast on key press and set up burst keys and cycle scripts without needing a program like auto hotkey. This allows you to switch hotbars depending what weapon you select and bind as many spells, skills, items and gear you want to a single slot. It's open ended in it's design and removes the need of the old game competitive users felt to use out of game scripts. It levels the playing field and gives tons of options for customising binds.




    We're about to launch a revamped website which is split into a new and returning user to the Darkfall franchise. If you liked the idea of the original but "x" problem caused you to leave I highly recommend to check it out. Our team is almost entirely ex players so we know indepth the issues faced by users and the hidden potential of the game. The veteran section of the new website goes over all the changes that have happened in the last year since we've had our hands on the code. There was a ton of quality of life additions to bring the game up to modern standards for the UI and other tedium reducing changes. We've also addressed afk macroing, vet/newbie gap and fixed much of the alignment exploits people used to grief new players, among many other changes :).




    -Andrew




    CEO




    Big Picture Games






    That's great.  Now how about you post the accurate subscription price for the game post-launch on your store page?

    https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/store/

    Right now it says $4.95 per month but some in this thread insist it's actually $9.99 per month.  If you want to piss off potential new players, then by all means continue to leave out the fact that the cost of a subscription is double what you have posted your Store page currently, post-launch.  Because there's nothing that gets people more pissed then when they feel they've been mislead on how much money they're going to need to fork over to keep playing.




    From the FAQ: https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/game-info/faq/general/

    The monthly subscription for Darkfall: Rise of Agon will be $14.95 USD at launch. Discount packages will be available as well for reduced monthly subscriptions.



    Yeah, I saw that; it should be on the Store page.
  • mirimkomirimko valenciaMember UncommonPosts: 13
  • Avenging_MartyrAvenging_Martyr Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited April 21
    Hey, a returning darkfall veteran here.

    I use to help and train new players so I'd like to mention just a few of the great things BPG has done.

    Frontloading skills and stats is beyond huge. As the graphs available within this link will show you https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/news/patch-notes/patch-notes-august-5th-2016/

    This greatly reduces the grind needed to be combat viable. Many skills/spells have reduced requirements and some by major amounts compared to the past and many passives were removed (maxed and given instantly so benefit is there but no need to grind them)

    Mirimkos post with the compiled patch notes is a great link https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/game/development/compiled-patch-notes/

    NPC cities are now much safer than in the past. Any attack  & All spells cause damage which activates the defensive tower system. Healing hostile invaders/pkers now flags you as hostile as well.

    You can activate a prevent damage to players with positive alignment function. This prevents griefers or friends of hostiles with positive alignment from jumping into your attacks against hostiles which would previously cause you to be flagged as hostile so the defensive towers attacked you as well. (Cheesy but it's been fixed)

    Clans now have 2 banks. A regular clan bank and a Officers clan bank. Making recruiting new players less of a risk to larger or veteran clans.

    Between the hotbar revamp and 1 click looting there is no real need for macros or auto hotkeys.


    The new scrolls creation system and certain skills like utility spells or self buffs/buff others requiring scrolls to level up. So active players need to explore/fight/farm and craft/trade/buy to level many spells. Some spells require scrolls to raise up but you can craft scrolls for any spell and get what you want raised up if you have the materials or money to buy it from others. A skill Manuel system is in the works for melee/archery skills as well.

    Once the economy is rolling newer players could buy scrolls/manuals (manuals are not implemented yet, scrolls are active) or clans/friends may provide scrolls/manuals to get newer players up to speed much faster.

    The current mediation system can raise skills/stats while online or offline as well. On top of a much faster gains on skills and stats when compared to any past version of Darkfall.

    Of course I cannot forget to mention the multiple changes to prevent hacking. From early changes which moved more things server side and out of the clients reach. Restructuring of the code to prevent more skilled hackers from hacking as well as changes to the code for better tracking of in game items to track/prevent duping or similar cheating methods. The most recent addition of actual anti-hack software which you can read more about here: https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/news/official-updates/implementing-anti-hack-software/

    All combined equals serious efforts by BPG to stomp out cheaters and hackers for a better Darkfall experience.

    BPG are not the same as Aventurine in the past. This time they all speak english (Former devs were greek) and talk and listen to the player base. They've already completed several things the former devs said was impossible like a second clan bank tab or frontloading skills/spells. Which are in game and working right now.

    The time is now! Darkfall Rise of Agon launches May 5th. No game purchase required. 12 $ Canadian 10$ American for a monthly subscription. Launch will be the busiest craziest time and noone will have an advantage except for player skill ;)

    I made a video for the return of Darkfall awhile ago. This link skips a slow start at first you'll see a naked veteran doing major damage to geared players and changing the tide through a basic melee weapon & player skill then a large gathering of one side of a siege force followed by some large scale siege footage. Poor quality as large battles were much harder to record back then. Followed by many battles scenes showing the awesome combat of Darkfall and battle tactics like group spell volleys.

    Timed link doesn't seem to work. Please skip to 1:38




    For veterans who missed Darkfall I would suggest watching from the start :)

    For the rest I'll be waiting to see you in game.
    Post edited by Avenging_Martyr on
  • BranXBranX London, ONMember UncommonPosts: 79
    I used to play DFO back years ago and I also played Darkfall Unholy Wars. AV was such a terrible company but this company that has risen up by veterans seems to be going in the right direction. I'll definitely be giving this game a shot. I hope to see you all in game!
Sign In or Register to comment.