Everquest 2 developers create new game

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 15,224
    I have been out of the loop at bit can someone give me a quick and dirty bullet list of how todays MMORPGs are different from EQ2?

Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 

On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

Current Ignore List: postlarval, cameltosis, VengeSunsoar

• ExcessionExcession NottinghamMember RarePosts: 709
    SEANMCAD said:

and of course its always had light crafting.

What? Are you serious?

It is funny when you talk as though you know everything MMO / game related, but show just how little you do know.

Original crafting in EQ2 was far from light.

One of the most humorous thing's you could ever see in EQ2 was someone failing and being killed while crafting.

You could not make everything yourself either, you had to rely on other player's making some components you needed to craft item's.

One of the worst things they did to EQ2 was dumb down the crafting and make it almost the same as WoW crafting.

TheScavenger

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

edited July 7
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

It is funny when you talk as though you know everything MMO / game related, but show just how little you do know.

One of the most humorous thing's you could ever see in EQ2 was someone failing and being killed while crafting.

You could not make everything yourself either, you had to rely on other player's making some components you needed to craft item's.

One of the worst things they did to EQ2 was dumb down the crafting and make it almost the same as WoW crafting.

I played EQ2 as a crafter for 9 months (actually I think it was longer now that I think on it might have been years)
    EQ2 is light crafting compared to ALL other games I have played that have crafting both in MMO and in non-mmo.
    I never played WoW.

Crafting is deeper in Eve, Darkfall, Wurm Online and Xyson and virtually ALL my single player games that have crafting.

in fact the REASON I left EQ2 for Darkfall is because of crafting
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on
    ExcessionHedeonjimmywolfcraftseeker

Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 

On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

• ExcessionExcession NottinghamMember RarePosts: 709
    edited July 7
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I played EQ2 as a crafter for 9 months.
    EQ2 is light crafting compared to ALL other games I have played that have crafting both in MMO and in non-mmo.
    I never played WoW.

Crafting is deeper in Eve, Darkfall, Wurm Online and Xyson and virtually ALL my single player games that have crafting.

So you think clicking items to add them as ingredients, then clicking a button and waiting for a progress bar is deeper than adding ingredients, starting the crafting process, counteracting events that take place, and taking damage if you fail (and possibly dying in the process), increasing quality and the crafting process if you succeed, until the item is crafted?

Ok.
    Post edited by Excession on
    MaurgrimTheelyTheScavengerHatefullkjempff

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

edited July 7
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I never played WoW.

So you think clicking items to add them as ingredients, then clicking a button and waiting for a progress bar is deeper than adding ingredients, starting the crafting process, counteracting events that take place, and taking damage if you fail (and possibly dying in the process), increasing quality and the crafting process if you succeed, until the item is crafted?

Ok.
    'how' i create something is not of intrest to me frankly. clicking buttons at the right time in a mini game that zero context whatsoever remotely to do with actually making such an item in real life is not intresting to me

'what' i can create and what ingredients are involved and various combinations of them are of interest.

taking wurm for example, there are about 10 different tools, each tool for a different job, there is quality, there is durablity, there is improving, you can build carts, you can build boats and large items of course require multiple tools, multiple materials, that are crafted from other skills

ExcessionHatefull

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 UKMember UncommonPosts: 338
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I never played WoW.

Ok.
    'how' i create something is not of intrest to me frankly. clicking buttons at the right time in a mini game that zero context whatsoever remotely to do with actually making such an item in real life is not intresting to me

'what' i can create and what ingredients are involved and various combinations of them are of interest.

taking wurm for example, there are about 10 different tools, each tool for a different job, there is quality, there is durablity, there is improving, you can build carts, you can build boats and large items of course require multiple tools, multiple materials, that are crafted from other skills

The events you countered were related to things happening when you crafted, ie forge fire flaring or going out  when forging
    HatefullExcession
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    edited July 7
    vorpal28 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I never played WoW.

Ok.

The events you countered were related to things happening when you crafted, ie forge fire flaring or going out  when forging
    it was uninteresting to me as a dedicated crafter, I left for more interesting crafting games.

Just how I find how stone bricks are made intresting, what the raw material is, how its cooked and how I can make a house from it. I find that more intresting then how to use a trowl.

Now...I would suggest you guys try some of these games so can have a baseline understanding of what I am talking about. because in EQ2 there isnt even any need to make bricks, let alone a trowl
    Excession

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 12,990
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I agree,i liked the original crafting and wanted even more depth.Sadly many have talked about too many devs aiming to copy Blizzard and Wow and how it would affect future of gaming.Well i saw it in Square Enix,Soe and literally hundreds of upstart indie mmorpgs.

EQ2 had housing items to craft which since most games don't have housing was an added layer of depth.
    However one thing for certain is what someone did in the past doesn't mean squat to the future.Case in point Smedley or Lord British.It is always about money and profits and with the industry seeing how easy it is to sell crap now days ,tons of devs are just whipping  out half baked early crap and they know it has a good chance of selling.
    When Smedley got axed from DB,i could not believe the crap he was trying to sell us.

I'm a former Soe employee,i made DAOC,i worked at Blizzard,you know,IDC,whatever  you did in the past means nothing to me,if your trying to sell me crap,i will call it out as being crap.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I agree,i liked the original crafting and wanted even more depth.Sadly many have talked about too many devs aiming to copy Blizzard and Wow and how it would affect future of gaming.Well i saw it in Square Enix,Soe and literally hundreds of upstart indie mmorpgs.

EQ2 had housing items to craft which since most games don't have housing was an added layer of depth.
    However one thing for certain is what someone did in the past doesn't mean squat to the future.Case in point Smedley or Lord British.It is always about money and profits and with the industry seeing how easy it is to sell crap now days ,tons of devs are just whipping  out half baked early crap and they know it has a good chance of selling.
    When Smedley got axed from DB,i could not believe the crap he was trying to sell us.

I'm a former Soe employee,i made DAOC,i worked at Blizzard,you know,IDC,whatever  you did in the past means nothing to me,if your trying to sell me crap,i will call it out as being crap.
    yeah so I am trying to wrap my head around something and I dont have context because its been since around 2010 since I last played a mainstream MMO.

1. I would assume most modern MMOs now have 'housing', I mean in the multiplayer/single player world that is kinda common and expected (i mean at least in my ecosystem).

2. How is EQ2 different from modern MMOs (assuming I am right about number 1)

3. as a side note, EQ2 housing for those who have never experienced housing or crafting might seem to be rather cool but really its extreemly basic compared to the games I have been exposed to.

but I am mostly intrested in number 2 on my list

• XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 32
    SEANMCAD said:
    Wizardry said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

yeah so I am trying to wrap my head around something and I dont have context because its been since around 2010 since I last played a mainstream MMO.

1. I would assume most modern MMOs now have 'housing', I mean in the multiplayer/single player world that is kinda common and expected (i mean at least in my ecosystem).

2. How is EQ2 different from modern MMOs (assuming I am right about number 1)

3. as a side note, EQ2 housing for those who have never experienced housing or crafting might seem to be rather cool but really its extreemly basic compared to the games I have been exposed to.

but I am mostly intrested in number 2 on my list

I myself have been looking for an EQ 2 game but set in an open world environment. ArcheAge was close but it was to PVE focused and of course somewhat pay to win.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,543
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I played EQ2 as a crafter for 9 months (actually I think it was longer now that I think on it might have been years)
    I never played WoW.

in fact the REASON I left EQ2 for Darkfall is because of crafting
    EQ2's crafting became quickly boring actually.
    BDO's and ESO's crafting are, in their own different styles and in my opinion, so much better than EQ2's it's not even funny.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAMember RarePosts: 27,280

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

I've not seen more than a few screen shots and a gif but it already looks like yet another "innovative" twitch mmo. I can barely walk without stumbling over those.

The game has been in development for awhile, but it goes up on kickstarter in a few days.

Lol .. another KS "please-give-me-your-cash-first" money grab? When there is actually a game, may be i will give it 10 min to check it out .. assuming it is f2p. 

Otherwise, there is really nothing to see here. There are plenty of good games to play now. I don't need to pay for "wishful thinking". 

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

I've not seen more than a few screen shots and a gif but it already looks like yet another "innovative" twitch mmo. I can barely walk without stumbling over those.

The game has been in development for awhile, but it goes up on kickstarter in a few days.

Lol .. another KS "please-give-me-your-cash-first" money grab? When there is actually a game, may be i will give it 10 min to check it out .. assuming it is f2p. 

Otherwise, there is really nothing to see here. There are plenty of good games to play now. I don't need to pay for "wishful thinking". 

Sadly the whole MMO world is going this way because it is small studios trying to make them and need cash up front.....All the triple A companies seem to have left the genre.
    Xateric said:

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

Sadly the whole MMO world is going this way because it is small studios trying to make them and need cash up front.....All the triple A companies seem to have left the genre.
    So games like Destiny 2 (now is it or is it not a MMO .. the inquiring mind wants to ponder). 

No one needs to play MMOs. Plus, i highly doubt the abilities of small studios trying to make MMOs. I go where the AAA good games are, not where MMOs are. 
    Excession
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,290
    Xateric said:

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

So games like Destiny 2 (now is it or is it not a MMO .. the inquiring mind wants to ponder). 

No one needs to play MMOs. Plus, i highly doubt the abilities of small studios trying to make MMOs. I go where the AAA good games are, not where MMOs are. 
    Considering you don't like much of anything MMOs have to offer your preferences are unsurprising.

I hate driving games, totally useless,  heck if I wanted to drive I'd just fire up the truck and go.

:)

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Algo Star SystemMember RarePosts: 1,909
    How old and decrepit do you have to be to call THIS game "twitchy"? FFS get a Choose Your Own Adventure Book or something.  :D
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 191
    How old and decrepit do you have to be to call THIS game "twitchy"? FFS get a Choose Your Own Adventure Book or something.  :D
    You sir deserve a medal cause that was hilarious. I'm still chuckling even writing this post. I have hope for this game. Not enough to pay into it, but enough to at least hope.
    Kyleran said:
    Xateric said:

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

Considering you don't like much of anything MMOs have to offer your preferences are unsurprising.

I hate driving games, totally useless,  heck if I wanted to drive I'd just fire up the truck and go.

Totally agree with you. I fired up the demo of a truck sim once just to see what was the fuzz. Quit with 5 min. Bored me out of my tears.

But .. MMOs? Some are great as single player games. Marvel Heroes was actually quote good until recently. The Secret World is also a decent single player game, although i wish they have updated the production value. Star Trek online is the only TNG era RPG available.

So i suppose you are not totally correct. I am mildly amused by *some* MMOs (and of course depending on your definition ... if you go by THIS site's definition, Warframe is also quite a nice game), at least a lot more than driving games (or worse .. FISHING games).

Kyleran

Hey now I am old and decrepit, in fact I see posting on the forums as twitchy..... :)
    Torval
    Kyleran said:

This is better than any video game:

Kyleran
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
    Kyleran said:

If you are buying,  I'll be happy to drive it.

B)

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,451
    Forza is likely the closest I'll ever get to that. MarioKart is more my speed though.
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    It's actually mine (Alfa Romeo GTV 3.2 V6), you're welcome to visit in France and I may eventually let you drive it for a few kilometers ;)
    KyleranTorval
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    It's actually mine (Alfa Romeo GTV 3.2 V6), you're welcome to visit in France and I may eventually let you drive it for a few kilometers ;)
    Someday I may take you up on that offer when wife and I make our Euro tour, but the next trip is to Alaska I think, some sort of bucket list thing older folks here stateside get in their heads.

Jean-Luc_Picard

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,783
    Kyleran said:

Someday I may take you up on that offer when wife and I make our Euro tour, but the next trip is to Alaska I think, some sort of bucket list thing older folks here stateside get in their heads.
    I crossed that one off my list at the same time I crossed off "Being born."