Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Build Good Enough For Occulus?

Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
Greetings!

So after the holidays pass and stuff this year I would like to look into getting a Occulus Rift. However I'm not sure if my computer can handle it. So before I put out any money towards that I'm wondering what I have now will be able to run it on medium settings or close to high? 

I'm running a AMD FX - 6300 with a RX 470 video card. Not sure what other specs I need to post. 
Thanks!

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited April 2017
    No.

RX 470 is the minimum specs for Oculus Rift. It should run games, but you'll have to be prepared to use low graphic settings.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Have you had a chance to try one?

If you haven't, I'd strongly suggest you do before you make an investment.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    You need a good balance for VR. The goal is a consistent 90 fps without many dips. This means high bandwidth memory, potentially an ssd, a decent cpu, and a good gpu. The problem with the FX series processors in VR is that they cannot get a high enough fps. You want a 3.8ghz or higher Core i5, Core i7, or Ryzen CPU.
    For GPU you want a current mid-range or higher GPU. These would be the AMD 480, 290X, 390, 390X, Fury, Fury Nano, Fury X; nVidia 970, 980, 980ti, 1060 6GB, 1070, 1080, 1080 Ti, Pascal Titan.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited April 2017
    laserit said:
    Have you had a chance to try one?

If you haven't, I'd strongly suggest you do before you make an investment.
    This.

I own both the Oculus and Vive, and although it works for me, some guests even became dizzy and were unable to play with VR.

edit: they had motion sickness with both devices. So try it if possible. (maybe you know someone that owns a VR kit)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    https://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vr/

Go read a few of those reviews. Now, they are looking at specific pieces of software, but once you get through the first 3 or 4 you see the pattern starting to emerge.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    edited April 2017
    The price of the hardware alone, not including the pc to run it, makes pc VR too expensive.

I am waiting to see how the scorpio is. Hopefully it will be an affordable way to get into VR. 

Looks like u will be able to buy a scorpio and a 4k tv for less than half of a truly capable pc plus a vive / rift.

With the price of good 4k tvs continuing to come down in price and the scorpio most likely being around $500 I should be able to spend $1200 or so for  a scorpio and a new tv.

Will have to wait and see how the scorpio performs tho.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    jdnewell said:
    The price of the hardware alone, not including the pc to run it, makes pc VR too expensive.

I am waiting to see how the scorpio is. Hopefully it will be an affordable way to get into VR. 

Looks like u will be able to buy a scorpio and a 4k tv for less than half of a truly capable pc plus a vive / rift.

With the price of good 4k tvs continuing to come down in price and the scorpio most likely being around $500 I should be able to spend $1200 or so for  a scorpio and a new tv.

Will have to wait and see how the scorpio performs tho.

I suspect Microsoft Solution to VR will be about as amazing as Windows 10 gaming is

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me